Why I switched from PC to PS4, your thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teamascott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Teamascott
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've been a PC gamer for about 8 years or so, which including building systems of my own, the last costing about £1200 about 3 years ago, but recently have made the switch to the PS4. I made the decision after playing Civ 5 with a group of mates which kept alternately crashing for each of us, making 5 turns last and hour and half... great. I had mates who agreed about getting fed up with the crashes, problems, and hours of bug fixing and work arounds that come along on PC taking up all our gaming time (one of my problems being the hard drive suddenly deciding it doesn't like its connecting cable anymore, fixed by swapping it with the DVD drive cable... what!?)

So far I've much preferred the PS4, I plugged it in and it worked, no problems. The features are much better and it's much better designed for social gaming, want to chat to mate? Already implemented, no 3rd party software required. Want to record my gameplay? Already in there too, don't need to reduce my framerate with 3rd party software or spend money upgrading to a card capable of running Shadowplay. Plus with SharePlay arriving soon, that's a massive win over PC.

The games are designed for console, that's where the market is! The optimisation for a single hardware set means great performance, and they're designed for controllers, PC's just get shoddy ports, I remember Borderlands 2 and Dead Space specifically being a pain with PC's, as the menu's were awkward to navigate with a mouse and keyboard because they weren't designed for it, not to mention hours with both spent googling problem fixes. Gears of War on PC even lost it's support and just stopped working at all, and Assassin's Creed required me to borrow my dad's old work laptop to be able to see a much needed file on the disc, which I had to copy and paste onto my PC, great. PC are missing out on some great exclusives too, The Last Of Us Remastered? Yes please.

This is where the main console vs PC argument comes in though, money. Yeah PC has steam sales and generally cheaper games, but that's often sucked me in to buy several cheap games which I've barely played, what a waste. Plus you can't sell them again, be clever with console games and you can probably spend less.

PC gamers always say 'you can build a PC more powerful than a console for the same price', and I actually agree with that, well when it comes to numbers on paper at least, but I wonder how many of these people actually have done that... at that price you'd end up with more system problems, and though technically more powerful, it wouldn't run as consistently, because it's not as well optimised for that particular PC build as it is for each identical console. Even if it did run ok though, it's so easy to be tempted with that tasty upgrade, particularly when your online competition is beating your ass because they have smoother framerates and higher res, and a high precision mouse with 20 buttons on and a ultra responsive gaming keyboard. I wouldn't feel happy with an outdated PC system, especially when I'm counting frames and struggling when tweaking settings to find that happy medium between quality and perfomance when I want both. Yeah the PS4 is technically outdated but everyone's on par, and when the graphics drops, framerate drops and potential higher qualities you're missing out on aren't staring you in the face, you're not going to notice.

Anyone else made any switches like this?

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

you'll be back to pc soon shallow console games get old so quick.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

Amazing post, OP. You're about get a lot of shit though, cause this forum is run by hermits. Good luck!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Good for you.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Never understood the concept of switching though. You could just enjoy the best of both worlds.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

lol at that switch. I stopped pc gaming when game design really switched over to favor consoles. PC games were almost a completely separate entity late 90s to 2005ish. So many genres flourished.

Ironically I find myself wanting to ditch the ps4 and build a powerful pc. My only issue is I don't really game as much anymore and I feel more inclined to buy a mac.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Hi Cranler.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

And I made a switch to over 500 posts.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Cranler? how many accounts do you make per day?

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

(one of my problems being the hard drive suddenly deciding it doesn't like its connecting cable anymore, fixed by swapping it with the DVD drive cable... what!?)

Yeah, you're better off going with a console, I bet.

That said, I don't know why people consider it a "switch" or a "conversion" from one to another. Who says you have to pick one? Do you throw away your existing PC as soon as you buy a PS4?

dan_mimmsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dan_mimmsie
Member since 2014 • 86 Posts

I also use to be a pc gamer for 15yrs from the old Celeron pentium and finally to building Ur own pc and I've always likes Sony's consoles since ps1 and the reason from pc to ps4 is not only due to the games but these days now the price to upgrade is getting beyond a joke and can't afford it

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@MK-Professor said:

Cranler? how many accounts do you make per day?

Watch the TC quote us saying he's not Cranler.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Member Since:October 25, 2014 ; Posts:6 ( creates account today, and decides to post a "why I switched to PS4" thread out of nowhere.)

Cool story bro.

Nice alt, whoever you are.

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

OP is forgetting that current gen consoles are pretty much PC in a console size box.They require updates, patches,they also have issued like bugs,glitches, crashes, freezes ,frame rate issues etc.Don't forget day 1 updates,massive patches,etc. So in that sense owning consoles is no more easier than PCs

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

So Civ 5 made you buy a console to play games like Borderlands 2? Also, I have a time believing you were any kind of PC enthusiast if you think consoles have great performance. They did'nt last gen and they don't his gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Member Since:October 25, 2014 ; Posts:6 ( creates account today, and decides to post a "why I switched to PS4" thread out of nowhere.)

Cool story bro.

Cranler. Has the same type of boring arguments like always.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Sound like someone cravin bloodborne!!! LOL

Srry lemming

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@remiks00 said:

Cool story bro.

Cranler. Has the same type of boring arguments like always.

That dude is such an annoying troll lol. He argues the same shit over, and over, and over. Is there no way for mods to prevent him from making these stupid alt accounts? @charizard1605@blue_hazy_basic

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@mohit9206 said:

OP is forgetting that current gen consoles are pretty much PC in a console size box.They require updates, patches,they also have issued like bugs,glitches, crashes, freezes ,frame rate issues etc.Don't forget day 1 updates,massive patches,etc. So in that sense owning consoles is no more easier than PCs

Well, you dont have to spend hours on google to try fix problems. You just have to turn on the console and you get patches etc automagic

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@aroxx_ab said:

@mohit9206 said:

Well, you dont have to spend hours on google to try fix problems. You just have to turn on the console and you get patches etc automagic

Awesome. I don't have to do that on my pc either. And you only have to wait 1 to 3 weeks for the patches on console anyway. Fantastic.

On PC, if there's a problem, you can fix it in les than 2 days.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Scottpsfan14 .?

@SamiRDuran said:

Also this , if you were indeed a PC gamer before .

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:

this comment has never made sense..just hermit being a hermit..

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I gamed on PC for awhile , but I use my Xbox almost exclusively now for similar reasons. I bought so many games on steam that I know I'll never play. I found myself hopping between different games every few days because I owned so many of them. I felt like I had to finish them all as quickly as possible.

With consoles, because the games are generally more expensive, I think harder about which games to choose. And since I have less of them, I play those games to absolute completion, and may even replay them once or twice if they're good enough. Never did that on PC, which is a real shame because I think gaming is just more enjoyable when you grow a real attachment to the games you're playing.

It's weird to say, but I think there's such a thing as having too many games to play. And with frequent steam sales it can be hard to control yourself.

I also realized, at the end of a long day I prefer to lie down on my couch with a controller in hand playing games on my TV. I know I could do this with my PC, but why spend so much on hardware costs just to replicate a console experience?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:

Uh most of the major games are console. Fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Welcome to the dark side

Watch out for hermits though