Why haven't fighting games evolved much?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Why isn't there a street fighter game with a 3rd person view of your fighter and a big environment for you to fight, like jumping behind cars for cover and shit like that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Keep it simple enough for masses to buy...plus your particular scenario would be horrible for balancing on some fighters.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Keep it simple enough for masses to buy...plus your particular scenario would be horrible for balancing on some fighters.

i mean theres the naruto and dragon ball z games i guess. but a 3 dimensional street fighter would be sick.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If you're asking yourself that question then you really haven't been playing Fighting games.

Also what SolidTy said about that Scenario, I mean wtf why would you want that to be in a Fighting game?

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Why isn't there a street fighter game with a 3rd person view of your fighter and a big environment for you to fight, like jumping behind cars for cover and shit like that.

Play a casual fighter like Naruto or DBZ if you want that. Why would you hide behind a car to protect yourself from a punch? Play a 3rd person brawler if you want that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Because none of the fighting fans want that

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Because Gamers are the most pleasant people ever (please don't mod me for telling the truth)

(I didn't like what you said, so I changed it :P ~ Zanelli)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Because Gamers suck donkey balls (please don't mod me for telling the truth)

Show proof or I'm reporting you.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@ConanTheStoner

You're in System Wars.... Proof is everywhere ! ;)

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Do the Arkham games and God Hand count as fighting games?

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

TC I want you to go play Street Fighter 2 and then play Street Fighter 4. Fighting games have changed in many ways. Hell Street Fighter 4 and Ultra Street Fighter 4 are as different as night and day.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

supersmash >>> any fighting game, sorry

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Yeah,Rise of Incarnates looks awesome and kinda what you want.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think fighting games have a generally limited concept but each fighter seems to have a strength that the others may lack. Examples being that:

Mortal Kombat is for gore and no mercy.

DoA has fun hand to hand with reversals.

Soul Caliber is great with weapons.

Street Fighter focuses on combos.

They each have a strength, but the formula can be altered only so much. Yes, DoA is known for its T&A but beneath that it's still a really fun fighter. Yes, I'd play it if the girls were fully clothed.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Fighting fans wouldn't buy that game or at least enough to warrant the making of the game.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

I remember MK with 3D worlds. You see that they aren't doing that again. That sucked.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

the series has and has always been in third person

also, if it should matter...

Loading Video...

Also, the concept of a 1 on 1 fighting game from a (behind the back) third person view has been around for years: Virtua On, Punch-Out, Anarchy Reigns, there are games. You might want to settle for a beat-em-up instead though.

If you're asking still why they don't evolve... well, they have added story to fighting games now, but beyond that, people don't want them to change. Games are more successful to sticking to the establish genre conventions, when games do like what Anarchy Reigns did, people ignore it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

is this what you want tc?

Loading Video...

I always thought that Sony All Star was going to be like this. Such a unique take that's non-existent these days, it was a missed opportunity and all for making a Smash Bros rip-off.

Or maybe this:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

I think overall you just can't see / recognize all the things that have changed over the years in fighting games, as FGs have changed A LOT from the old arcade days, but most in very subtle ways. My FG of choice is Mortal Kombat for that precise reason, that from game to game there are great changes that are implemented that shake up the series and the flow of fighting in the games. Upon reading your OP though, the first game that came to mind was the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi series, as that series is pretty much exactly as you described. loved the second one the most.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Because Gamers suck donkey balls (please don't mod me for telling the truth)

Stop running from projectiles. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@sts106mat said:

I think he means like the old school games like Double Dragon, golden axe. side scrolling fighters.

They were cool in the arcades for 10 minutes a time, not sure i'd bother now though.

They are still awesome, check out Castle Crashers.

Especially fun in co-op :D

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I mostly play fighting games and I really can't see big franchises like SF making a significant turn like that. I personally don't want that to happen, but fighting games are evolving in a way. NRS is growing beyond the meat and potato fighters out there. Injustice has interactables, stage transitions, clashes, hopping off of walls and etc. Some of that is even carrying over to MKX.

If you're looking for a different fighting game you should look into Smash or RoI or something. Dragon Ball games are different too, but I can't imagine them being huge at EVO outside of Smash.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Because the Dreamcast died unfortunately. That system was the absolute best for fighting games. It had everything.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrYaotubo

One of the reasons traditional 1v1 fighting games barely evolved is because of the "hardcore" fighting games community wants nothing but the same style of game with some very small nuances.

Even small things like MK focusing on a strong story mode than anyone else is percieved to be different and something for the fighting games community take a poke at,even in this very forum,perhaps that´s one of the reasons why aside from Street Fighter all others have been selling like crap and on MK sells as big and as things are going,MK may end up being the most relevant franchise in the genre for the general gaming community sooner rather than later,despite the hatred of the fighting game fanboys.

Netherealm knowws how to stay relevant for the overall gaming community,most of the others do not.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@LadyBlue

Not just running.... I wana hide from them too....

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@sts106mat said:

I think he means like the old school games like Double Dragon, golden axe. side scrolling fighters.

They were cool in the arcades for 10 minutes a time, not sure i'd bother now though.

dang guess he doesn't realize that genre is now known as the "Beatem Up" Genre.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: "Why isn't there a street fighter game with a 3rd person view of your fighter and a big environment for you to fight, like jumping behind cars for cover and shit like that"

Because that would be shit!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

One of the reasons traditional 1v1 fighting games barely evolved is because of the "hardcore" fighting games community wants nothing but the same style of game with some very small nuances.

Even small things like MK focusing on a strong story mode than anyone else is percieved to be different and something for the fighting games community take a poke at,even in this very forum,perhaps that´s one of the reasons why aside from Street Fighter all others have been selling like crap and on MK sells as big and as things are going,MK may end up being the most relevant franchise in the genre for the general gaming community sooner rather than later,despite the hatred of the fighting game fanboys.

Netherealm knowws how to stay relevant for the overall gaming community,most of the others do not.

oh dear lord, what have I just read? -___-

The reason MK9 died so fast was because the game was so broken you could beat opponents in one instant combo. And the fact that it had some of the most stiff and archaic animations I've ever seen in a fighting game didn't help its case either. Have you seen how broken Injustice is? You basically play superman and start spamming his x-rays and even a pro will have a hard time against a scrub. Then we have the fact that neither of thiese game require any skill at all. Even Smash Bros with its dash cancels have deeper mechanics than these 2 turds combined.

Netherealm doesn't has the slightest idea on how to make a decent fighting game and that is a fact. They sell only on hype, violence and nostalgia.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

FIghters have evolved, the only people who think they haven't are those who don't play the games.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

because then it wouldn't be street fighter and probably lose most of the deep gameplay its developed over decades.

Fighters haven't changed much lately because anything drastic at this point threatens to ruin the competitive quality they have. It's one of the most mature and fully evolved genres in this industry.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Because unlike most other genres there's a huge competitive scene behind fighters. Things need to be kept as close to balanced as possible and any game that tries flipping the genre on it's head isn't guaranteed to take off

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

That would be more akin to a "Beat em up/Action" game ala Double Dragon.

Fighters have evolved but someone of the "evolutions" were rejected by the fighting game community. Maybe this gen will be different. M$ has resurrected phantom dust so we'll see how the community reacts to it.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrYaotubo

@Gue1 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

oh dear lord, what have I just read? -___-

The reason MK9 died so fast was because the game was so broken you could beat opponents in one instant combo. And the fact that it had some of the most stiff and archaic animations I've ever seen in a fighting game didn't help its case either. Have you seen how broken Injustice is? You basically play superman and start spamming his x-rays and even a pro will have a hard time against a scrub. Then we have the fact that neither of thiese game require any skill at all. Even Smash Bros with its dash cancels have deeper mechanics than these 2 turds combined.

Netherealm doesn't has the slightest idea on how to make a decent fighting game and that is a fact. They sell only on hype, violence and nostalgia.

See,that´s kinda what I expected someone to say. I never said MK is better than SF or many other games in the genre(plenty are better than),and I wasn´t talking about it´s appeal inside the core fighting game community,what I mean is that,in the general gaming community(aka the people that may play figthing games but aren´t way,way into them in the first place) MK will keep being pretty much the major franchise in the genre alongside SF,and for the greater sucess of the product that´s what really matters,because that part of the gaming community is the vast majority.
As far as the core fighting games community,it´s extremely small in comparison(for instance,in the esports scene,games like Starcraft 2,Dota 2,or League of Legends as singular games vastly outnumber the popularity and appeal of fighting game tournaments that include every single game in the genre there,like EVO),so even if those dont care about MK Netherealm couldn´t give a bigger shit because in the end,aside from SF wich has the same mass appeal of MK,all those "core" fighing games sell like crap in comparison to those two,even the two other big ones,Soul Calibur and Tekken are barely relevant anymore.

Also yeah,sure,they may sell their games on hype,violence and nostalgia(aside from the fact that its clearly a very good game regardless of what a very small monority says) but in the end so do many of those other fighting games with all the lolis,traps and ridiculous anime artstyles(several of them really heavy on the nostalgia factor) that also appeal to a very specific demographic,it´s just a shame(for them) that they don´t appeal to anywhere near as much people with those artstyles than MK does.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I've actually asked someone about this. I find it to be a pretty interesting question.

This doesn't mean throw out traditional fighters, but why haven't there been any evolutions in this type of genre. I can think of Super Smash Bros., but recently that is all I can think of. What about games like Bushido Blade? You can make a balanced fighter of another kind, it just doesn't happen-- actually, there is Nidhogg, I guess, but again that is all that I can think of as far as recent releases.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

This is like asking why haven't 2d side scrollers evolved to be in 3rd person with large 3d areas. They have. It's just not the same genre if you make too many alterations to core fundamentals.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts
@vickissv2 said:

This is like asking why haven't 2d side scrollers evolved to be in 3rd person with large 3d areas. They have. It's just not the same genre if you make too many alterations to core fundamentals.

That isn't true. Side scrollers are not a genre. 2D platformers and 3D platformers are both platformers, God Hand is a beat-em-up, and Final Fantasy games are still Role Playing Games.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Most attempts at a 1st person or over the shoulder view fighter have been horrible, in a genre that is pretty niche and clearly defined to begin with. Fighters have evolved but they are more like traditional sports with a very defined set of rules that may be tweaked but the real action is in the competition and outcome, along with the amazing great moves, within that defined ruleset.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@SolidTy said:

i mean theres the naruto and dragon ball z games i guess. but a 3 dimensional street fighter would be sick.

have you played sf ex plus @ ??? that was a 3d game and it was garbage

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@LadyBlue

Not just running.... I wana hide from them too....

Then you don't want a fighter. ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@LadyBlue

Cowardice is a real fighting tactic ! ;)

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

So fughting games like Tobal #1 Bushido Blade ?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Get into competitive SSBM if you want a fighting game that's very different from traditional fighters

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

Personally All I want from Fighting Games is just Better Mobilty.... I wana dance circles around my opponent in an epic scale....

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#47 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I think it would be awesome if they made a fighting game with a fighting system similar to Soul Calibur. But have it be a open world adventure rpg, with encounters like Tales game. When you get into fights it goes to a stage, where you cannot ring out, but you fight like soul calibur or something similar. I wouldn't mind if it was like Blazeblue or something. And you get to buy different weapons and armor that changes your character appearance.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lulu_Lulu

@ristactionjakso

RPG ?

As in Stats and Attributes that people can level up to make their charcters stronger and unbalanced ?

Do you know why PvP is a pain in the ass to pull off in an RPG ?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#49 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ristactionjakso

RPG ?

As in Stats and Attributes that people can level up to make their charcters stronger and unbalanced ?

Do you know why PvP is a pain in the ass to pull off in an RPG ?

Well as in that would be all part of the offline story mode.

Online would be different.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@ristactionjakso

What about offline not part of the story mode ?