Why has Sony failed to produce a competitive handheld?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

The PSP was a powerful machine compared to the DS at the time, the trend continues with the Vita but both machines failed to capture gamers. Why is that? Sony has a very successful if not the most successful home console series of all time yet it can't make a handheld that sells...

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

No first party support.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nintendo handhelds have been the standard since the 90's...it sells on brand name....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Because Sony completely and repeatedly misses the point of a handheld.

Although the PSP was badass, and the Vita is nice too. None of them can compare to the Nintendo handhelds of their time, though.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

No Pokemon. Also, PSP did really well, vita is tanking though unfortunately, it's great hardware with some really good games, unfortunately nothing the kiddies buy up in massive numbers like Nintendo has.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

IP's are weaker, more pricey, doesn't have as much pedigree in the handheld business, didn't come out at the right time, etc.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Although the PSP was badass, and the Vita is nice too. None of them can compare to the Nintendo handhelds of their time, though.

Which is?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I didn't realize selling 80 million units was considered a failure.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I didn't realize selling 80 million units was considered a failure.

Yeah... this.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

Considering the stranglehold that Nintendo has on the handheld market, I'd say the PSP was a success.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Sony's marketing with the Vita has been really pathetic. They're handling their handheld like Nintendo is with their console. Perhaps even worse. Aside from that, the price, and the rise of smart phones with multimedia capabilities, Nintendo has stronger IPs for their handhelds.

The PSP did really well, though. Better than anything that has ever challenged Nintendo in the dedicated handheld realm up to this point. I wouldn't call it a failure.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AznbkdX

Failure at being competitive and being a failure could be considered two different things. I'm guessing the same idea applies to them since they did make the Vita.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Nintendo is the gold standard of handhelds since 1989, and own the majority of the market since. Sony come long trying to gain some of that market and did with the PSP, but totally dropped the ball with the Vita.

Sony barely supports the thing.

No blockbuster games.

No marketing. Wii U says hi.

Pricey ass Memory.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Psp sold more units than the 360 or the ps3.

but anyways, Sony generally targets the higher tier gamers. successful folks like myself can afford to game on the devices like the Vita. But there are, generally, more lower tier gamers, than upper tier, so of course , the lower tier gaming devices will sell more.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KBFloYd

@xboxdone74 said:

but anyways, Sony generally targets the higher tier gamers. successful folks like myself can afford to game on the devices like the Vita. But there are, generally, more lower tier gamers, than upper tier, so of course , the lower tier gaming devices will sell more.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XboxDone74

@KBFloYd:

lower tier gamer confirmed.

B-)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Quiet peasant, back to your fields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

Unique games tailor made for the handheld market from the ground up. A differentiation between your home console and handheld. Not treating your handheld as a second class citizen by relegating franchise spin offs to it outsourced to outside developers. Focusing on the strengths of handheld gaming and portability, instead of trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink into a machine designed to fit into your pocket.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@clyde46 said:

The PSP was a powerful machine compared to the DS at the time, the trend continues with the Vita but both machines failed to capture gamers. Why is that? Sony has a very successful if not the most successful home console series of all time yet it can't make a handheld that sells...

I thought they were going to stop after the PSP Go, but Sony didn't give up. I think the PSVita is actually pretty good. Definitely a lot better then the PSP. The analog sticks and d-pad are greats. It really just needs more quality games, which it's finally starting to get now. The PSVita is outselling the PS4 in Japan. So that should tell you something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blackace said:

@clyde46 said:

I thought they were going to stop after the PSP Go, but Sony didn't give up. I think the PSVita is actually pretty good. Definitely a lot better then the PSP. The analog sticks and d-pad are greats. It really just needs more quality games, which it's finally starting to get now. The PSVita is outselling the PS4 in Japan. So that should tell you something.

It tells us the console market in Japan is dead, not that the Vita is doing particularly well.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

Unique games tailor made for the handheld market from the ground up. A differentiation between your home console and handheld. Not treating your handheld as a second class citizen by relegating franchise spin offs to it outsourced to outside developers. Focusing on the strengths of handheld gaming and portability, instead of trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink into a machine designed to fit into your pocket.

Bingo!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@35cent said:

Considering the stranglehold that Nintendo has on the handheld market, I'd say the PSP was a success.

I 110% agree. I remember playing the shyt out of my PSP at work, I had a good 25 games for it.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AznbkdX

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

Wouldn't you say that your last point is where it will head to anyways considering how we are advancing? Not that I disagree with your point since I share it as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@AznbkdX said:

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

Wouldn't you say that your last point is where it will head to anyways considering how we are advancing? Not that I disagree with your point since I share it as well.

Eventually, there will be device convergence (hell, even 3DS plays MP3s, videos, has a camera, and browses the web), but my point was that this convergence should never be done at the expense of the primary gaming function. At least with the PSP, that was where Sony tripped up.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@KBFloYd:

The brand name arguement is a bit flawed with the transition from Game Boy to DS. Both have become synonimous with handheld gaming as the standard and have become brand names via their own merrits. That said, I went with the handheld other than the Game Boy or DS of the times so long as their was competition. The reason behind that was because I knew what to expect from Nintendo and wanted to see what the other's had to offer. Not to mention I could play my friend's Game Boy or DS systems. I loved my Sega Game Gear when I was a kid. I loved my PSP, but used it more than a gaming device. With PSV it's the same as the PSP. I love it, but as more than a gaming device.

When you compare the PSP/PSV with the DS of their time, you know that for the most part, the DS is a games only machine where as the PS systems are multimedia devices with games as their primary function. Before Nintendo fans starting bitching that 3DS has Netflix too, I want to know, if you're going to argue that crap... do you really use your 3DS for Netflix on that tiny-ass screen? Seriously?! A major problem was that Sony never really marketed their handhelds as multimedia devices... or at all for that matter. Sony initially supports their handhelds but after the first year or so, they stop. They stop marketing it. They stop producing AAA games for it; where's Uncharted GA2?. They stop just about everything for it.

It pisses me off because I was dupped into thinking they had learned from the mistakes of the PSP. They obviously didn't. It's odd when you compare the number of lessons learned for PS4 from PS3 and the number of lessons not learned for PSV from PSP. It's like the Playstation division of Sony is actually two completely different companies.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Telekill said:

@KBFloYd:

Before Nintendo fans starting bitching that 3DS has Netflix too, I want to know, if you're going to argue that crap... do you really use your 3DS for Netflix on that tiny-ass screen? Seriously?!

What Nintendo fan is going to argue for the 3DS as a multimedia device? Nintendo fans don't care about that shit in their handhelds.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Expensive storage.

/thread

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

netflix on a 3ds?

wow. i had no idea the machine was so versatile.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#29 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Pricing for one. But the PSP was by no means a commercial failure. It penetrated the market, had an easily recognizable and known name, and a decent audience.

The DS however had age ranges of its own, getting it its numbers

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

the pita is screwed,it has no idea what it wants to be .Does it want to be a portable PS3?W0t? Also,that stupid memory SONY-ONLY card is just ugh.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

The Vita will always have a special place in my heart, i love both the 3DS and Vita though. They both cater to my different gaming needs, i just think its the price thats messing the Vita up plus the games. Im not going to say there aren't any its just they are very far between IMO.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Because they think handhelds are about tech, when it's really about software, portability, and battery life. I thought after how terrible the psp was that they would learn from their mistakes, but unfortunately they didn't. After the Vita was announced, I knew it would bomb.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sony continues to try to have the console experience on handhelds. They also have too many crossover games on their systems to make Vita appealing with its own games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

I dont get this since some of the 3ds titles dont feel "tailor made" you can put some of those games on any system. Iv been playing rune factory 4 and that game could be easily put on anything els.Hell even something like bravey default. Stuff like uncharted golden abyss works well on the vita.

Now the TC question its cause nintendo does have a strong grip on the handheld market.The term handheld and nintendo go hand and hand so people do tend to gravitate more to it since its more known.I doubt sony will ever top them in that market but I do give them props that they actually survived the encounter since every other company that went for the handheld market pie got fazed out.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Vita's and PSP's situations cannot really be compared. The PSP has sold over 80 million units (and counting), around the same as the PS3 and 360 last gen and good enough to be one of the top 10 selling game consoles (handheld or not) of all time. The only way to spin it as anything but a success is to demand it outperform the DS, which by the time all is said and done may be THE best selling game console of all time. Silliness.

IMO, the Vita's poor western performance is simple: tablets are replacing handheld consoles as the machines parents are buying their kids. When paradigm shifts such as this happen, they destroy the "also rans" of a market first, and the market leader last. See the death of MP3 players and standalone cameras for more info.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Sony made 2 competitive handhelds. Beaten by Ds and 3Ds but no shame in that.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KBFloYd

@locopatho said:

tell that to atari and sega.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The Vita is doing well in Japan but as with the PSP it is irrelevant out west. At least the PSP had a great start out worldwide.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Because they treat it like a shitty console instead of a handheld

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@locopatho said:

tell that to atari and sega.

No. They made shit handhelds. They have no place at this table.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#41 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

I 100% agree with you brother.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XboxDone74

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Quiet panhandler. Back to your street corner and cardboard sign.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Quiet panhandler. Back to your street corner and cardboard sign.

Lol, stay jelly, noob

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Doesn't have the one game people play just because a new version exists again.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i think some have certainly hit on a very important point: sony treat the vita as a second class citizen. are team ico working on it? are naughty dog? polyphony digital? guerrilla were making killzone merc the same time they were working on KZ 3....what was more important there? LBP was outsourced. MM were working on tearaway in fairness though. very litte is done internally at sony in terms of vita development. their only really standout title thats exclusive first party on the vita is gravity rush (which is great but combat lets it down) and tearaway (very cool game).

so who at sony are working on the vita?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

My PSP always seem fragile and sensitive. I was afraid to take it anywhere in fear of breaking it. The Nintendo handhelds were like tanks and could take a beating. This is my experience.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha: with the PSP and DS i would certainly agree with that experience. the PSP seemed quite fragile.

However credit where its due: the vita is a tough ol bird. the build quality certainly beats the normal 3DS (i havent used a 3DS XL so cant compare to that).

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is?

Pretty much this. Sony handhelds seem to be filled with shitty versions of console games that put way too much emphasis on the graphical elements of the game. People don't look to handhelds for amazing visuals or a console-lite experience.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It's because Sony doesn't really care for handheld gamers. They simply made these to be a companion to the consoles they sell. They don't even let their big studios work on games for the devices and always use unproven devs to handle the games.

Nintendo will let EAD work on both console and handheld games.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@KBFloYd:

lower tier gamer confirmed.

B-)

I have have a PSP, DS, PS3, 360, Wii, and a PC. What does that make me? I'm guessing a higher tier gamer then you.