Why GTA San Andreas is better than GTA IV.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LagSwitch (529 posts) -

Okay, I understand that GTA IV was a great game and all, but I just can't accept how reviewers like gamespot have made comments like, "GTA IV is argueably the best in the series", and other similar comments.

I dont know if everyone here will agree with me, but GTA San Andreas was better than GTA IV in so many ways. Heres a few:

1. More Accessible: One of the main reasons GTA San Andreas was better was because it was more accessible. What I mean by this is that in the city, there were very few objects that would restrict your cars movement or force you to slow down. This isnt the case in GTA 4. Many times, the only way to get across is by bridge, meaning without the GPS, which allows you to discover the city on your own, you are forced to keep driving at a slow pace trying to find a bridge and get across.

Also, there are too many "solid objects" in the city that will cause your car to slow down on impact. For example, many of the city's sidewalks have trees for "decorative purposes", which prevent you from racing on the sidewalks or send your car to a complete stop if you spin out of control on the main road. There are many of these types of features in the city which prevent you from just going all out crazy with your car.

2. Not Enough Missions: Another problem with this game is the lack of missions. There simply aren't enough missions in IV compared to San Andreas. In San Andreas there would always be a ton of missions per character. It would be difficult to memorize each mission you had gone through by the end of san andreas. This isnt the case in GTA IV. Many characters only feature 4-5 missions which are usually short and not memorible. For example, my favourite character, Faustin, only features 4 missions. Come on, this is not enough for a main character.

Also, Roman, the supposed "2nd main character of the game" plays absolutely no purpose in the game. After you leave from Hove Beach, does Roman really play any role in the story at all? This wasnt the case in GTA SA, where your best friend, Sweet, stuck by you till the end and offered missions throughout the story.

3. Realistic Driving: I'm sure many of you GTA SA players mightve experienced this feeling when you got into your first car in GTA IV. The controls felt very restricted. Making a turn usually had you crashing into a building wall, and drifts usually had you spin out of control. Even now, after beating the game twice, the driving still has let me down. Whenever ive reached the max speed of my car, I am always faced to the sad truth that I will eventually have to make a turn, which will require me to slow down, so taht I dont crash into another wall. I know it was GTA IV's duty to add suspensions seeing how it was a "next gen" game, but its not right that they take a step back on the driving when GTA SA had set such a high standard. In GTA SA, it was possible to keep your car at a relatively high speed and still make a sharp turn.

So..yeah...these are my 3 reasons why GTA SA is, and most likely always will be, the best GTA game out there. Its nothing but budda budda

#2 Posted by milsvaard (1862 posts) -
Disagree completely.
#3 Posted by EuroMafia (7026 posts) -

Nope.

The driving on SA is more fun IMO. It's not realistic in GTA IV but once you get used to it, it's easy to drive.

#4 Posted by ice144 (3350 posts) -

Completely disagree.

Anyways Vice City>SA

#5 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
Disagree, I had more fun driving in GTA IV, There was a great amount of missions and side missions in GTA IV and More accesible? GTA IV was much more accesible since it was easier to get used to
#6 Posted by shoeman12 (8744 posts) -
gta 4's AAAA disagrees.
#7 Posted by superjim42 (3588 posts) -

i see what you mean but gta san andreas is not 'realistic' as opposed to gta4, which is.

i tried the game at my mates house and although the driving was very frustrating for me at the start i did get the hang of it but it felt more realistic you had to use caution when driving to avoid and fatal crashes sending you flying out the windscreen i personally prefer that.

#8 Posted by heretrix (37227 posts) -

1.More Accessible: One of the main reasons GTA San Andreas was better was because it was more accessible. What I mean by this is that in the city, there were very few objects that would restrict your cars movement or force you to slow down.

Learn to drive the cars right and you won't have a problem

2.Not Enough Missions: Another problem with this game is the lack of missions. There simply aren't enough missions in IV compared to San Andreas. In San Andreas there would always be a ton of missions per character. It would be difficult to memorize each mission you had gone through by the end

The are more than enough missions in GTA 4.

3. Realistic Driving: I'm sure many of you GTA SA players mightve experienced this feeling when you got into your first car in GTA IV. The controls felt very restricted. Making a turn usually had you crashing into a building wall, and drifts usually had you spin out of control. Even now, after beating the game twice, the driving still has let me down. Whenever ive reached the max speed of my car, I am always faced to the sad truth that I will eventually have to make a turn, which will require me to slow down, so taht I dont crash into another wall

Once again, LEARN TO DRIVE. I am having no problems whatsoever driving around at high speeds. Even with crap cars I can pretty much fly through Liberty city..I did stunt jumps with those crappy ass cars that Badman gives you in the package missions..I can't believe you finished the game twice without getting a handle on the driving.

Your post reads like someone who played the game for a few hours and then gave up.

#9 Posted by strudel420 (3687 posts) -

I prefer GTA IV's 'realism' to San Andreas ease of use to be honest.

Sure San Andreas had more varied missions then GTA IV. I'm willing to turn a blind eye to that fact though since they improved virtually ever other aspect of the game.

Liking the driving in San Andreas more then GTA IV is pure opinion.

#10 Posted by BioShockOwnz (52901 posts) -

Disagree completely. milsvaard

^ What he said. I hated San Andreas.

#11 Posted by Kirlok (2061 posts) -
no, gta 4 is the best in series and im having 10 times more fun causing random mayhem online than i did in SA
#12 Posted by terdoo (5306 posts) -
San Andreas is actually my least favorite game in the series.It was a fantastic game,but Vice City,3,and 4 all felt like better games.
#13 Posted by Shawtymann (2561 posts) -

This wasnt the case in GTA SA, where your best friend, Sweet, stuck by you till the end and offered missions throughout the story.

LagSwitch

Sweet was in jail half of the time in San Andreas.

Also, i prefer the driving in IV much more. At first it was difficult but once i got used to it, it became a breeze.

#14 Posted by jack_michael (1162 posts) -

agreed, to me it goes like this

san andreas>>>GTA IV>>>GTA III>>>>>>>>>>>>>vice city.

#15 Posted by NoLimitJay1 (580 posts) -

IMO:

Vice City

GTAIV

San Andreas

#16 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -
I'll give SA the win for size of the cities, weapons, and for planes, but that's it. GTA IV was better. Bigger doesn't mean better, and also, if you realized this, when you slow down a little bit in a turn, you can actually make it. O_O
#17 Posted by akif22 (16012 posts) -

i agree that SA was better than IV, but not really for those reasons

i liked the mission variety, the variety of the gameworld, the gameplay variety, better storyline IMO

variety! just more to do

#18 Posted by jack_michael (1162 posts) -
oh, whilst im here i might aswell ask: is there any way you can extend the death screen in gta 4? because its so annoying in some instances e.g grenade jumping from roofs
#19 Posted by dbzfreak (6223 posts) -
I think people are just complaining about GTAIV because it scored a 10 on here. If it scored a 9.5 there would be a lot less complaining.
#20 Posted by Juggernaut140 (36011 posts) -
Vice City owns all
#21 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -

IMO:

Vice City

GTAIV

San Andreas

NoLimitJay1
the masses spent more money on san andreas than the other 2 games.
#22 Posted by DuDisNow (2741 posts) -

It's more realistic and challenging. Didn't you get the memo?

1. GTA IV
  2. GTA: SA
  3. GTA3
  4. GTA: Vice City
#23 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -
gta 4's AAAA disagrees.shoeman12
One mans opinion should not carry such weight with anyone, much less dominate over other's free thoughts. I agree with the tc's opinions on the subject.
#24 Posted by hikari33 (753 posts) -

GTA 4 feels like a mega buffed up version of scarface, some times i get more of a scarface feel than a GTA feel, thats jur my 2 cents

#25 Posted by Compression (195 posts) -

I like how everyone on this forum immediately starts screaming L2DRIVE LOL!!!!!!! GTA=AAAA! Can't he be entitled to his opinion?

#26 Posted by gdp72 (1270 posts) -
SA is my favorite GTA also. GTA IV is a close second. I can't hardly remember a thing from GTA III or Vice City. I'm excited for what R* will do with the next SA game if they make one. IMO they can skip over Vice City because that was by far my least favorite GTA game.
#27 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12349 posts) -

Eh, after I beat GTA IV I kinda found myself favoring San Andreas too... but I think that simply had to do with the variety the game offered. You had cities, forests, beaches, etc.

I still favor Vice City though, the time, the setting, the characters, the music - it was perfect.

#28 Posted by onewiththegame (4229 posts) -

IMO GTAIV is by far the best

next is VC

#29 Posted by clone01 (24087 posts) -

Completely disagree.

Anyways Vice City>SA

same here...i think GTA4 is better than SA in every way, from story, to graphics, to physics, to gameplay.

ice144
#30 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9717 posts) -

imo vice city was a better game in its time than gta4 is in this time, but gta4 is the best gta game ever made if you would look at the series with fresh eyes. There is just so many things in gta4. The game is incredibly balanced and has the benefit of learning from the other games and included subtle, yet brilliant refinements to the series. I recently played vice city again and it had strenghts over gta4, mainly the radio stations, but the world of vice city pales in comparison to Liberty City in gta4.

Oh, and a parting shot against San Andreas. The game seems unfinished to me. Owning businesses is a complete joke. Not only is the money meaningless by the time you get these businesses but collecting the money is a huge chore. The gang system doesn't work right. Niether does the territory system. The territory system handed me an incredible injustice btw. I spent hours conquering territory only to lose it all in a later mission. I'm still pissed off.

#31 Posted by heretrix (37227 posts) -

I like how everyone on this forum immediately starts screaming L2DRIVE LOL!!!!!!! GTA=AAAA! Can't he be entitled to his opinion?

Compression
Saying you dislike the game is one thing. Saying you dislike the game because the driving is terrible, when in reality you just suck at it is another.
#32 Posted by club-sandwich (8399 posts) -

[QUOTE="milsvaard"]Disagree completely. BioShockOwnz

^ What he said. I hated San Andreas.

Me too, by far the worst GTA. Vice City is the best.
#33 Posted by munu9 (11109 posts) -
Disagree with 1 and 3 completely, though you might have a point with number 2...
#34 Posted by Always-Honest (11261 posts) -
san andreas was nice for 5 hours. GTA for 40 ... imo
#35 Posted by Set_Free (215 posts) -
I dont think GTA3 is getting enough respect.... That game was leaps and bounds over the competition... VC, SA, and 4 were only additions to an already great game.... Even with that being said 4 is still an awesome game better than SA in many ways.... But unlike 3 it didn't do any thing new for the industry
#36 Posted by slickchris7777 (1610 posts) -
In terms of fun, I wholeheartedly agree
#37 Posted by Donkey_Puncher (5083 posts) -

SA was a pile of crap. Worst 3D GTA by far.

GTA4 fixed the horrible shooting and driving, THE MAIN GAMEPLAY MECHANIC. The Story and characters were also far better than SA.

GTA4>Vice City>GTA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GTA:SA.

#38 Posted by Ze_ALEX (1793 posts) -
disagree so much

and sweet was in jail for like 3/4 of the game
#39 Posted by TDLlama (2779 posts) -
The one thing San Andreas going for it is its massive size. There was so much (maybe too much) to do and while GTAIV feels smaller, it's an improvement over previous GTA games in a lot of ways.
#40 Posted by the-very-best (14486 posts) -

I really love both... and I can't tell which one I like more for a few months.

I can't believe people hated SA though.

#41 Posted by leejohnson7 (2909 posts) -

Okay, I understand that GTA IV was a great game and all, but I just can't accept how reviewers like gamespot have made comments like, "GTA IV is argueably the best in the series", and other similar comments.

I dont know if everyone here will agree with me, but GTA San Andreas was better than GTA IV in so many ways. Heres a few:

1. More Accessible: One of the main reasons GTA San Andreas was better was because it was more accessible. What I mean by this is that in the city, there were very few objects that would restrict your cars movement or force you to slow down. This isnt the case in GTA 4. Many times, the only way to get across is by bridge, meaning without the GPS, which allows you to discover the city on your own, you are forced to keep driving at a slow pace trying to find a bridge and get across.

Also, there are too many "solid objects" in the city that will cause your car to slow down on impact. For example, many of the city's sidewalks have trees for "decorative purposes", which prevent you from racing on the sidewalks or send your car to a complete stop if you spin out of control on the main road. There are many of these types of features in the city which prevent you from just going all out crazy with your car.

2. Not Enough Missions: Another problem with this game is the lack of missions. There simply aren't enough missions in IV compared to San Andreas. In San Andreas there would always be a ton of missions per character. It would be difficult to memorize each mission you had gone through by the end of san andreas. This isnt the case in GTA IV. Many characters only feature 4-5 missions which are usually short and not memorible. For example, my favourite character, Faustin, only features 4 missions. Come on, this is not enough for a main character.

Also, Roman, the supposed "2nd main character of the game" plays absolutely no purpose in the game. After you leave from Hove Beach, does Roman really play any role in the story at all? This wasnt the case in GTA SA, where your best friend, Sweet, stuck by you till the end and offered missions throughout the story.

3. Realistic Driving: I'm sure many of you GTA SA players mightve experienced this feeling when you got into your first car in GTA IV. The controls felt very restricted. Making a turn usually had you crashing into a building wall, and drifts usually had you spin out of control. Even now, after beating the game twice, the driving still has let me down. Whenever ive reached the max speed of my car, I am always faced to the sad truth that I will eventually have to make a turn, which will require me to slow down, so taht I dont crash into another wall. I know it was GTA IV's duty to add suspensions seeing how it was a "next gen" game, but its not right that they take a step back on the driving when GTA SA had set such a high standard. In GTA SA, it was possible to keep your car at a relatively high speed and still make a sharp turn.

So..yeah...these are my 3 reasons why GTA SA is, and most likely always will be, the best GTA game out there. Its nothing but budda budda

LagSwitch

And again in this thread, those are casual reasons, especially since san andreas had the worst driving physics I have ever seen. Even Driv3r killed that game's driving. They tried to get the american banger car simulation into it, and they did it accurately in my book. Accessibilty, that is purely casual. Oblivion was "accessible" compared to previous games and look at that! There are enough missions, again you must be a chap who decided to simply blast through all of the missions. Also can you tell me a character you actually liked in SA, and at that, how interactive were they?

#42 Posted by 3XRatedlocc (932 posts) -
I agree it was a better game but not for the reasons listed.
#43 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -
IMO, GTA IV was better that SA in almost every way possible, driving included.
#44 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -
Vice city is better than all of them
#45 Posted by PS2_ROCKS (4679 posts) -
Actually "suspensions" as you call it is nothing next gen and has been in the series since GTA 3. I'm the kind of person who prefers realism, especially in relation to vehicles so I disagree with your last point.
#46 Posted by arm9218 (503 posts) -

in point 2 you say does roman even provide missions?

then in the 3rd you say youve beat it 2 times....

you complain about lack of missions, well maybee if there was more space and the 360 wasnt limiting it then theyd put some more in. im not very knowledgable at computer stuff but the graphics and details prolly take up alot of space and bluray woulda helped fit some more missions

#47 Posted by leejohnson7 (2909 posts) -

in point 2 you say does roman even provide missions?

then in the 3rd you say youve beat it 2 times....

you complain about lack of missions, well maybee if there was more space and the 360 wasnt limiting it then theyd put some more in. im not very knowledgable at computer stuff but the graphics and details prolly take up alot of space and bluray woulda helped fit some more missions

arm9218

Sound is a massive contributor I believe.

#48 Posted by ChrnoTrigger (2155 posts) -

I agree with OP. I loved SA because of the ridiculous amount of things you were able to do - across an entire state! The tiny RPG elements were also very nice.

GTA IV is way too realistic for my liking, which had my greatly dissapointed. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

#49 Posted by Vyse_The_Daring (5318 posts) -
The driving is so much more satisfying than in any of the previous games, at least once you get used to it.
#50 Posted by GearsOfWarLover (573 posts) -
GtaIV>>SA IMO but i liked the ability to customize ur characters look WAY better in San Andreas but thats pretty much it, that is good.