Why don't Sony or MS invest in an open world exclusive game?

• 65 results
#1 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1988 posts) -

Open world games are extremely popular and high profile ones tend to be high sellers. Skyrim. and even Fallout. GTA and even Red Dead Redemption. Assassin's Creed and now evenFar Cry. And Watch Dogs joins teh ranks

I'm not talking about open world games in the style of Infamous or upcoming Sunset Overdrive.

I'm refering to those games which tend to allow for a greater level of exploration, since they don't allow the same fast paced traversal. IMO, if it got enough marketing and hype, a first/third person open world action game, with some potential RPG elements, could be a huge seller, and a great IP to help boost sales of either console.

#2 Posted by Animal-Mother (26778 posts) -

That makes no sense. You can't say they don't invest and then name 2 games and say it doesn't count.

#3 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Money probably, cheaper to make a smaller game than a bigger one and exclusives will not sell anything on other systems obviously.

They could make a GTA type game, but they might find it hard to make their money back, it would be a bit of a risk. I don't really understand why someone like Sony don't do multi-plats sometimes, I mean if a game sells like GTAV who cares if some of that was made on PC or Xbox One, why pass up on making some cash for the more ambitious projects instead of not making it at all.

I don't see why they even go down for the paid for exclusive content route, spend it on your own studios instead.

#4 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1988 posts) -

That makes no sense. You can't say they don't invest and then name 2 games and say it doesn't count.

Did you read my post? I'm refering to open world games in the style of Skyrim and FC. There's nothing wrong with inFamous for example. It's just that it works more like a "playground open world" than a more traditional "exploration open world".

#5 Posted by Ballroompirate (22778 posts) -

If sony could get rights to the Getaway franchise I would shyt a brick

#6 Posted by lawlessx (46644 posts) -

microsoft/sony investing in an open world sandbox game would be great

#7 Posted by farrell2k (5860 posts) -

Sony is too busy selling off its company and assets to stay afloat, and Microsoft is too busy trying to fix Windows 8, while debating whether or not to even keep the Xbox brand. That's why.

#8 Edited by Shewgenja (8791 posts) -

You may have heard of this. It only derailed the Titanfall hype train.

#9 Posted by lawlessx (46644 posts) -

thats great..but thats not what the TC is looking for.

#10 Edited by Shewgenja (8791 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@Shewgenja said:

thats great..but thats not what the TC is looking for.

That's because OP is silly. The game did very well. Accomplished all the things OP asked for it to do other than being Infamous. Blanket statements to ignore the obvious don't warrant much thought.

#11 Edited by wis3boi (31294 posts) -

for the cows

#12 Posted by Heil68 (43996 posts) -

#13 Edited by CyberLips (1823 posts) -

I get what you're saying, it would be cool to have an exclusive RPG title on the PS4. But the way i see it is, Sony had Demon's Souls but then they made the sequel a multiplat and more people got to play making the franchise more popular. Same with Microsoft and Mass Effect.

#14 Posted by hehe101 (745 posts) -

did it? Checking receipts it didn't

#15 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

#16 Edited by SolidTy (42823 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Sony owns the rights because The Getaway was always their IP. Where did you hear Sony didn't have the Getaway franchise?

It was developed at Team Soho (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, SCEE) and later SCE London. After The Getaway: Black Monday (sequel), the series dropped in sales (poor timing to release after GTA San Andreas) and also Brendan McNamara left Sony to start Team Bondi who gave the world L.A. Noire. You might remember Team Bondi also in the headlines for the employee mistreatment debacle. So, there are two reasons why there is no Getaway sequel. Brendan McNamara left, and more importantly it's deemed a risky financial move in comparison to other projects at Sony, especially after The Getaway: Black Monday (part 2) took a hit with the critics and sales. Sony did consider it for the PS3 and even a Getaway tech demo was seen on the platform years back, but obviously nothing materialized.

Of course, it's been a LONG time since we've seen The Getaway IP so Sony could resurrect their own IP if they had a capable leading director able to do something with the franchise and instill confidence in Sony to proceed instead of doing what that team is currently working on (Singstar, Playroom, Wonderbook, Playstation Home, etc). If done right with the PS4 console, it could be a very beautiful game. It was fantastic looking on PS2 hardware.

As you can see, it's not Sony struggling to own the rights that's the problem (hell, it was their game since day one as it was Sony studio project), it's that a future Getaway project is deemed risky for a number of reasons (sequel had poor sales, lost a director, current team making money with current projects).

Since I'm here, here's a fun little blog that you might dig : What On Earth Happened to 'The Getaway' Franchise?

http://www.ign.com/blogs/_mattallica/2013/05/16/what-happened-to-the-getaway

#17 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Did you read my post? I'm refering to open world games in the style of Skyrim and FC. There's nothing wrong with inFamous for example. It's just that it works more like a "playground open world" than a more traditional "exploration open world".

So you mean open world RPGs?

Because they're a really niche market that take a long time to make, are very costly and usually do very well or bomb. Look how many bugs are in Skyrim and how long they worked on it.

MS does have the fable series, but it sucks.

#18 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

This. And Microsoft has Crackdown.

#19 Posted by Ballroompirate (22778 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Sony owns the rights because The Getaway was always their IP. Where did you hear Sony didn't have the Getaway franchise?

It was developed at Team Soho (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, SCEE) and later SCE London. After The Getaway: Black Monday (sequel), the series dropped in sales (poor timing to release after GTA San Andreas) and also Brendan McNamara left Sony to start Team Bondi who gave the world L.A. Noire. You might remember Team Bondi also in the headlines for the employee mistreatment debacle. So, there are two reasons why there is no Getaway sequel. Brendan McNamara left, and more importantly it's deemed a risky financial move in comparison to other projects at Sony, especially after The Getaway: Black Monday (part 2) took a hit with the critics and sales. Sony did consider it for the PS3 and even a Getaway tech demo was seen on the platform years back, but obviously nothing materialized.

Of course, it's been a LONG time since we've seen The Getaway IP so Sony could resurrect their own IP if they had a capable leading director able to do something with the franchise and instill confidence in Sony to proceed instead of doing what that team is currently working on (Singstar, Playroom, Wonderbook, Playstation Home, etc). If done right with the PS4 console, it could be a very beautiful game. It was fantastic looking on PS2 hardware.

As you can see, it's not Sony struggling to own the rights that's the problem (hell, it was their game since day one as it was Sony studio project), it's that a future Getaway project is deemed risky for a number of reasons (sequel had poor sales, lost a director, current team making money with current projects).

Since I'm here, here's a fun little blog that you might dig : What On Earth Happened to 'The Getaway' Franchise?

I thought what's his face when he left, he took the IP with him or w/e?

They really need to make another The Getaway game, freaking loved the first one.

#20 Posted by lostrib (35892 posts) -

Isn't Crackdown an openworld exclusive?

#21 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Crackdown & Fable

#22 Posted by SolidTy (42823 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I thought what's his face when he left, he took the IP with him or w/e?

They really need to make another The Getaway game, freaking loved the first one.

It's true he took off, but he left the IP behind. Problem is, as noted above, no one seems capable of filling his shoes. :( (plus other risk factors)

Yes, the first one is the one I liked most as well. :)

#23 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5287 posts) -

@deadline-zero0:

It's been rumored for a while now that Gurella games of all devs is making an Open world rpg / new ip... If its true (and has been cited multiple times) and I hope it is, it could be amazing (or a complete flop... play as Rico in his adventures in the hood of vekta...hahaha)

Open world environment full of “exotic creatures and lush environments, Robot Dinosaurs and a Red Haired female protagonist.

http://www.onlysp.com/guerrilla-games-ps4-open-world-rpg-include-robot-dinos-lush-environments-exotic-creatures/

#24 Posted by xhawk27 (7263 posts) -

Yeah Sony or MS could make their own GTA game.

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (17360 posts) -

I thought infamous and crackdown already existed.

#26 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19905 posts) -

@manny280 said:

Crackdown & Fable

I wouldn't call that new Fable open world.

#27 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1988 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

So you mean open world RPGs?

Because they're a really niche market that take a long time to make, are very costly and usually do very well or bomb. Look how many bugs are in Skyrim and how long they worked on it.

MS does have the fable series, but it sucks.

Not an RPG. But callign teh Skyrim, GTA and AC market niche is wrong. That's what i mean. I can't speak for Crackdonw, but like i said with inFamous, i felt the main difference was how big the world was, and how, thanks to Cole's powers, it feel even smaller compared to those other games.

Traversal is harder and takes more time on GTA and others. Also, they focus more on side activities and variety in general.

I guess it's the difference between games that, in my completly honest opinion, feel like proper sandboxes, like Skyrim, GTA, WD (for all my meh about it) and others like Batman Arkham City, even.

#28 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1988 posts) -

@deadline-zero0:

It's been rumored for a while now that Gurella games of all devs is making an Open world rpg / new ip... If its true (and has been cited multiple times) and I hope it is, it could be amazing (or a complete flop... play as Rico in his adventures in the hood of vekta...hahaha)

Open world environment full of “exotic creatures and lush environments, Robot Dinosaurs and a Red Haired female protagonist.

http://www.onlysp.com/guerrilla-games-ps4-open-world-rpg-include-robot-dinos-lush-environments-exotic-creatures/

Yeah i know about it. Really interested in seeing how it turns out, but i see it onyl coming out atleast 2 years from now, probably 3.

#29 Edited by FastRobby (1497 posts) -

That zombie game from Sony is an example of Sony spending money in it

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

inFamous. Crackdown.

#31 Posted by lostrib (35892 posts) -

H1Z1?

#32 Posted by cainetao11 (17360 posts) -

@lostrib: H1Z1?

Dude are posting code? Their going to break it!!!!

#33 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

open world games tend to be a mess. bugged to all hell terrible animations terrible combat the hallmarks of open world games like Skyrim.

console gamers have higher standards.

#34 Posted by FastRobby (1497 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

H1Z1?

Yes, it's open world, right?

#35 Posted by darkangel115 (1586 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@Animal-Mother said:

This. And Microsoft has Crackdown.

and fable

#36 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@amazonangry said:

open world games tend to be a mess. bugged to all hell terrible animations terrible combat the hallmarks of open world games like Skyrim.

console gamers have higher standards.

Skyrim was on consoles, the UI was pretty much tailored for control pad input even on PC... the fuck?

Also Dragon's Dogma is open world and only on consoles and that has terrible animations, terrible combat? bugged maybe in places... glad I don't share your opinion.

#37 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4687 posts) -

i would go one step further and suggest sony, ms, nintendo each could create an open world game for their next genner, maybe even an mmo for their console - which is 'free' but requires the psn / live subscription to play.

in a way, it's a game which requires a sub, at the same time, from the perspective of some consolites - they might feel like it's a free to play game.

so i guess i agree with the overall angle of your idea tc, i just have a slightly modified viewpoint.

#38 Posted by xhawk27 (7263 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

H1Z1?

That's not an exclusive console game though. I think the devs of State of Decay is working on an Zombie MMO too.

#39 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7436 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Isn't Crackdown an openworld exclusive?

Yeah, but TC wants to shove RPG crap into everything for some reason, so it doesn't count.

#40 Posted by WeepsForFools (515 posts) -

Fable..

#41 Posted by GamersJustGame (307 posts) -

The problem with Sony and MS making a open-world game like GTA V...... Is they would compete would the greatest open-world franchise which is GTA. We would end up with a saints row type game that doesn't make any sense.

The few open-world exclusive for consoles are lifeless and not engaging. Infamous SS was horrible, boring and bland. Hopefully Sunset Overdrive will be different. It looks fantastic, but im trying to temper my excitement.

Halo 5 is rumored to be open-world, as is UC4. Also Crackdown and FH2 are open world games.

#42 Posted by ristactionjakso (5726 posts) -

Infamous, 3D Dot Heroes, Crackdown, Fable.

#43 Posted by GotNugz (671 posts) -

The Witness

Crackdown

Infamous second son

Fable

Dead rising 3

#44 Edited by Bishop1310 (1058 posts) -

open world = long dev times and expensive, with the potential of bad reaction to the game. Let 3rd party devs make the choice to go open world, publish the game and pay for exclusive rights.. Much more cost effective and less risk.. Less risk = lower profit it successful though.

#45 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1943 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

So Bloodborne then.

/thread

#46 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Open world games are overrated. There exist original ideas that need to come to life which is where I'd rather see Sony invest rather than try tick a box that's already filled.

#47 Posted by Couth_ (10061 posts) -

infamous ,crackdown, sunset, fable, h1z1, forza H

none of these count doe

#48 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

the kind of the 'open-world' games that TC has mentioned (that most people in this thread doesn't seem to have get it) are realllyyy biiiggg buddggeett games.

Releasing them as 1 platform exclusive will not be a wise step, would it? PC gets those type of 'open-world' games but those too are either low-budgeted crap or CRPGs like Divinty: Original Sin etc. So in the end, it's all about the budget.

#49 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11670 posts) -

Open World games suck donkey balls.

#50 Edited by nervmeister (15220 posts) -

PS4: Bloodborne and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

X1: Crackdown

Yeah. This thread's over.