Why don't Platinum Games's games sell more?

• 107 results
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Heres some Bayonetta 2 pics.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/bayonetta_2_environmental_artist_outlines_sources_of_inspiration_including_gorgeous_screenshots

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

I don't know man it's weird. I absolutely love Vanquish, Bayonetta and MGS Rising. And back when they were Clover Studio they developed amazing such as God Hand and Okami.

I guess games with heavy emphasis on gameplay don't sell.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Skyrim sold well cause it was a good game, it was a damn good looking game and it may not have the best writing but it was better than Vanquishes writing, you had the freedom to do a lot of shyt in that game and even more with mods. The ES games sell well cause it's a franchise that has amazing mod support on the PC and you may not like the series but TES has a huge fanbase.

The only person that has a flawed argument is you, Vanquished had marketing, it may not have had "hey let's buy those Vanquish Doritos at the store" or the insane Destiny crap we see everywhere but it still had trailers, E3 coverage and was talked about on web sites so don't play dumb with me and say Vanquish didn't have marketing cause it did.

Vanquish sold poorly and their other titles cause it did not appeal to a lot of people, I had the luxury of buying them (Vanquish I actually bought 3 times trying to give the game a chance) and found them to be pretty overrated and awful except Bayonetta. You may have not liked Skyrim but A LOT OF people did, there's a big difference between Skyrim and Vanquish.

"Skyrim sold well because it was a good game"

I love how you're still rolling with that argument. And I do like The Elder Scrolls games. My point just flew over your head like all of my other ones. I wasn't even referring to the fanbase or the fact that the franchise has been around for long.

What do you expect someone to say that doesn't like Skyrim? "It sold bad because I didn't like it."

Well no, it actually sold well. And what does that mean for PG games? Where does your argument work there? It doesn't.

Also, regarding Vanquish' marketing, since you seem so keen on bringing up how well it was promoted:

"plus lacklustre marketing support for MadWorld, and the publisher effectively sending Vanquish out to die in October, one of the busiest months of the year, with little promotion."

Source

Every game gets shown on E3. Doesn't mean that everyone runs out to buy them. Same goes for messageboards.

Pretty much every PG game sold badly because of a lack of marketing. They are fully aware of that themselves. Now I see you bring up the fact that they're niche games. Finally. A worthy excuse as to why they don't do so well instead of the "I think they're garbage"

That's also one of the reasons why they don't do well. Along with the fact that they had to start over, making a name for themselves, and the fact that they're constantly putting out new IPs instead of building a fanbase with a continuing one. It also doesn't help that they make exclusives so much, but that's how they roll. They're not tied to one publishers. They work for whoever's paying them.

Getting a fanbase like that is tough.

Now can you see where my post is coming from, because I genuinely feel bad for you if you don't.

If you honestly think more marketing would have helped with the sales of Vanquish, Mad World and Anarchy Reigns...I don't even..you must be one ignorant person to think marketing could have helped those niche games, which btw I say niche as a kind gesture instead of meh or horrible cause I did enjoy Bayonetta and MGRR had it's moments when Raiden wasn't been a twerp (seriously they've should've have had him say nothing in that game).

Like I said earlier you don't need a huge marketing campaign for games now and days cause if a game is good enough and gets positive reviews from ether professional reviewers or user reviews (pick your poison) people will buy it. Look at Divinity Original Sin, it's getting praised out the arse cause it's a pretty damn good game, it may not sell 6 million copies but it will probably make Larian Studios happy with themselves. Even games like Minecraft had less marketing than Vanquish, look how successful that game was.

But you know what I'm done arguing cause honestly if you believe that the lack of marketing was why Platinum games don't sell well you must be one gullible person or a Platinum fanboy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#54 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Most of their games are pretty niche except for games like say Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengeance. You can't really say games like Bayonetta, Vanquish and Wonderful 101 are big names or particular revolutionary

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

If you honestly think more marketing would have helped with the sales of Vanquish, Mad World and Anarchy Reigns...I don't even..you must be one ignorant person to think marketing could have helped those niche games, which btw I say niche as a kind gesture instead of meh or horrible cause I did enjoy Bayonetta and MGRR had it's moments when Raiden wasn't been a twerp (seriously they've should've have had him say nothing in that game).

Like I said earlier you don't need a huge marketing campaign for games now and days cause if a game is good enough and gets positive reviews from ether professional reviewers or user reviews (pick your poison) people will buy it. Look at Divinity Original Sin, it's getting praised out the arse cause it's a pretty damn good game, it may not sell 6 million copies but it will probably make Larian Studios happy with themselves. Even games like Minecraft had less marketing than Vanquish, look how successful that game was.

But you know what I'm done arguing cause honestly if you believe that the lack of marketing was why Platinum games don't sell well you must be one gullible person or a Platinum fanboy.

Indeed. Bayonetta received significantly more marketing and sold better than Vanquish.

I think it's ignorant to believe marketing would've done ****-all.

You're not bringing up the best examples of this. We're talking about full priced retail games here. Not Kickstarter projects or games that released on every platform known to man. Not to mention that Minecraft's success isn't the standard for games becoming successful because they weren't marketed well. Minecraft is an entirely different animal.

And I'd also like to add, once again, that my post wasn't just referring to marketing. But let's be real here, you haven't been paying too much attention. Your entire argument was based on the fact that you thought they didn't sell well because you thought they were bad. Brilliant.

And you don't have to stop arguing, because you weren't arguing in the first place. You were skimming over my posts to tell me how bad Platinum Games' games are. It's funny how even Platinum admits that marketing hurts their software sales, yet here you are saying otherwise.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

They make very niche titles. Madworld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, The Wonderful 101, etc. All of them, good or bad, are very niche and "strange, kooky" games that unfortunately just never hit home with mainstream audiences.

Platinum Games should consider themselves lucky though. Almost every game they've made so far has flopped commercially. Double-Fine made two titles that flopped and haven't released a retail title since (except for Once Upon a Monster but, I mean come on..)

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

@faizanhd said:

Poor marketing and their games are short with no other modes than the story mode.

MGR had VR missions though.

That's another good point! Hideki Kamiya even said during development of Wonderful 101, "If you don't like games that you can complete in one day, don't bother picking up mine." Way to shoot yourself in the foot. That probably killed plenty of interest in the game for some people.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What I don't get is why people still Slam on Platinum Game's narrative, character's and plots..... They maybe a niche studio but its common knowledge that they just don't care about that emo non-sense.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59  Edited By Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

They make awesome games, I just think they need the right partner to develop a AAA game with, I believe Scalebound will be that game

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

except for few most of their games are the same.... new IP looks interesting.. at least the trailer

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@pyratrum said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Bingo.

They are unabashedly Japanese with their design. And frankly they are better for it as a game studio. Vanquish was a cool shooter, Bayonetta is fantastic, Wonderful 101 is something completely unique in that genre, and Anarchy Reigns/Madworld...kind of suck, whatever with those 2 though. But the type of games they make are limited in how much they would sell. They aim for cheese and crazy with a sense of fun, as opposed to lets take our game world super serious and write some shitty videogame story.

Not that all of Platinum's jokes hit, some are a bit much,but otherwise yeah if they made primarily the pure design and someone else handled their aesthetic they would do better. Because while you can definitely tell in game design this is the studio that used to be Clover, you can't get that from the art direction in their games. That stuff was clearly Capcom.

Loading Video...

Besides the gameplay, this is why I love Platinum Games.

And Anarchy Reigns was awesome.

Damn.. I need to pick this up.. lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@pyratrum said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Bingo.

They are unabashedly Japanese with their design. And frankly they are better for it as a game studio. Vanquish was a cool shooter, Bayonetta is fantastic, Wonderful 101 is something completely unique in that genre, and Anarchy Reigns/Madworld...kind of suck, whatever with those 2 though. But the type of games they make are limited in how much they would sell. They aim for cheese and crazy with a sense of fun, as opposed to lets take our game world super serious and write some shitty videogame story.

Not that all of Platinum's jokes hit, some are a bit much,but otherwise yeah if they made primarily the pure design and someone else handled their aesthetic they would do better. Because while you can definitely tell in game design this is the studio that used to be Clover, you can't get that from the art direction in their games. That stuff was clearly Capcom.

Loading Video...

Besides the gameplay, this is why I love Platinum Games.

And Anarchy Reigns was awesome.

That, is a hit jokes wise ;p

Anarchy Reigns I like as a concept. Specifically the multiplayer. A little too chaotic and unbalanced, but entertaining. The campaign is repetitive as hell though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say that they serve a niché audience and tend to be rather short. They often stray from the "comfortable" Vanilla protagonist, antagonist and story (which feeds into niché audience).

But they are quite good, I would like more games from them.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I think they are fairly successful as they have plenty of offers to publish games. As for scalebound it was foolish for them to go exclusive to Xbox one.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Poor marketing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Niche games, that dont appeal to the masses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#68  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I love PG but people should stop acting like everything they do is gold. Madworld was repetitive and Anarchy Reigns was straight out mediocre. Shinji Mikami is also no longer at PG so theres that. I loved Bayonetta, MGR and Vanquish but somehow Scalebound didnt seems interesting to me. I think the somewhat juvenile artsyle turned me off. I need to see gameplay 1st to judge but I wont make the mistake of thinking Scalebound will be good just because its made by PG

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Because their games suck and it totally has nothing to do with marketing.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

It's a mix of poor advertising and the general gamer population being terrified of games with actual gameplay or any sense of fun.

I don't understand anyone that doesn't like their games and I don't want to understand them. PG is one of the few developers that consistently delivers fantastic, interesting, fun games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

It's a mix of poor advertising and the general gamer population being terrified of games with actual gameplay or any sense of fun.

I don't understand anyone that doesn't like their games and I don't want to understand them. PG is one of the few developers that consistently delivers fantastic, interesting, fun games.

I like some of their games. Though gameplay cant save annoying music and unlikeable characters im looking at you bayonetta.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

Though gameplay cant save annoying music and unlikeable characters im looking at you bayonetta.

Bayonetta has great music and characters though. Bayonetta is such a good character.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

Though gameplay cant save annoying music and unlikeable characters im looking at you bayonetta.

Bayonetta has great music and characters though. Bayonetta is such a good character.

I personally didint care for any of the cast.Same goes for music. It hampered my overall experiance and while the combat was fun I just couldint take the other stuff anymore.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#74  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I personally believe that their games aren't very fun, but since that's an opinion it wouldn't be a very good answer to the TC's question.

It certainly isn't just one single thing, it has to do with a mix of a lot of different elements working against it. But as pointed out earlier in the thread, Bayonetta has sold well in the past.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It probably has something to do with their games generally requiring some degree of skill to play.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#76 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

They want a game that lets them see cool things happen without much input.

Isn't that what Platinum does best though?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 parkurtommo

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Aesthetics. The look of their games and general cheese is what cripples their sales potential. That's why MGR sold well. Wrapped in an appealing aesthetic with a known franchise and people want it. Also why I think their Legend of Korra game will sell well.

Bingo.

Not that all of Platinum's jokes hit, some are a bit much, but otherwise yeah if they made primarily the pure design and someone else handled their aesthetic they would do better. Because while you can definitely tell in game design this is the studio that used to be Clover, you can't get that from the art direction in their games. That stuff was clearly Capcom.

I honestly wonder how well they could do if they let another studio handle art and thematic direction. Like I said, I imagine their Legend of Korra game is gonna do fantastic because that is a really appealing world. Their games have fans because there is nothing like them, I think if they can just nail down a cheesy but western appealing world, they could make 2-3 million selling games easy.

Western developers sometimes outsource pre production concept art to freelancers/big studios (like the famous weta workshop), but having a studio handle the entire art related process? I don't know if that's possible. But I literally have no idea how pre production works in Japan, I imagine it's less structured.

Like the actually art direction is one of the first things that comes up during development, and it can spark ideas and shape the gameplay, not the other way around. They can't program the game without assets to work with, they can't create assets without guidelines, the guidelines come from the concept art.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The cool stuff only happens if you input the precise combination of button presses. If you just mash attack, it's slightly less cool.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#79 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I told a friend of mine about Vanquish. I told him that it was amazing, easily one of the best shooters in years. He tried it and said that there was too much going on at any given time for his tastes. I think that is definitely a turn off for many people. The games are chaotic and as such could be seen as having a high barrier to entry.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Aesthetics. The look of their games and general cheese is what cripples their sales potential. That's why MGR sold well. Wrapped in an appealing aesthetic with a known franchise and people want it. Also why I think their Legend of Korra game will sell well.

Bingo.

Not that all of Platinum's jokes hit, some are a bit much, but otherwise yeah if they made primarily the pure design and someone else handled their aesthetic they would do better. Because while you can definitely tell in game design this is the studio that used to be Clover, you can't get that from the art direction in their games. That stuff was clearly Capcom.

I honestly wonder how well they could do if they let another studio handle art and thematic direction. Like I said, I imagine their Legend of Korra game is gonna do fantastic because that is a really appealing world. Their games have fans because there is nothing like them, I think if they can just nail down a cheesy but western appealing world, they could make 2-3 million selling games easy.

Western developers sometimes outsource pre production concept art to freelancers/big studios (like the famous weta workshop), but having a studio handle the entire art related process? I don't know if that's possible. But I literally have no idea how pre production works in Japan, I imagine it's less structured.

Like the actually art direction is one of the first things that comes up during development, and it can spark ideas and shape the gameplay, not the other way around. They can't program the game without assets to work with, they can't create assets without guidelines, the guidelines come from the concept art.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea. I was just tossing ideas. I would prefer them to just keep trying as opposed to outsource even if it was possible.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 parkurtommo

@foxhound_fox said:

@parkurtommo said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The cool stuff only happens if you input the precise combination of button presses. If you just mash attack, it's slightly less cool.

I think pretty much anyone can pull off the right buttons, even bro gamers. :P Platinum makes games where cool stuff happens, I think most gamers like that kind of thing. I think what puts a lot of people off is the Japanese aesthetic, as some have mentioned already. Also the lack of billion dollar marketing lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#82 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

It probably has something to do with their games generally requiring some degree of skill to play.

Nah. They do require some skill to master but their games are mostly easy on their normal difficulties

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jg4xchamp

@parkurtommo said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Um, no. Platinum's games are entirely gameplay driven.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I think pretty much anyone can pull off the right buttons, even bro gamers. :P Platinum makes games where cool stuff happens, I think most gamers like that kind of thing. I think what puts a lot of people off is the Japanese aesthetic, as some have mentioned already. Also the lack of billion dollar marketing lol.

I've beaten DMC3:SE on Hard with Dante and Vergil and there were tons of moves in Bayonetta that I couldn't string together.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@Vatusus said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Nah. They do require some skill to master but their games are mostly easy on their normal difficulties

They aren't hard to beat, but they are hard to play if you aren't a dedicated gamer with experience playing older games. A game like Viewtiful Joe or Bayonetta is very hard to sit down and play in comparison to a top-selling game like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Skyrim, etc. The control schemes are just too complex for most casual gamers.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 jg4xchamp

I don't know if Bayonetta's controls are complex, if anything that's the games best asset gameplay wise is the controsl themselves. They are simply enough and tight given the dodge is on the trigger, and the combat is two button stuff, with pauses between slashes. Majority of the "difficulty" comes from navigating the chaos which is where your point of the game not being as pick up n play friendly. You can't half ass Bayonetta, and not end up with stone trophies all day.

You need to be right into it and paying attention to everything happening on screen. Same thing with Vanquish, W101, and Revengeance. Vanquish and Bayonetta had fantastic controls though. Revengeance and W101 do such a SHITTY job teaching you the game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lulu_Lulu

@PurpleMan5000

No they're not. infact they Are relatively simple yet the game still has depth, and this is something all games should strive for, you want controls that are simple to use but the gameplay should be still be challenging.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp

I had to google how to Dodge in Metal Gear Rising, the Tutorial doesn't even teah you how to parry. Unless if one would count "press <^> + X to parry" as a tutorial.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

You need to be right into it and paying attention to everything happening on screen. Same thing with Vanquish, W101, and Revengeance. Vanquish and Bayonetta had fantastic controls though. Revengeance and W101 do such a SHITTY job teaching you the game.

Only things that really needed to be explained better were parrying and dodging in MG Rising. The fact that the latter was hidden behind an upgrade you had to buy was idiotic design as well. Once you know how to parry effectively and how enemies telegraph their attacks, the game becomes fun and rhythmic.

Other than that, Rising was one of the best games I played last gen. Definitely the best Metal Gear game I played last gen.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@PurpleMan5000

No they're not. infact they Are relatively simple yet the game still has depth, and this is something all games should strive for, you want controls that are simple to use but the gameplay should be still be challenging.

You think they are simple because you have experience playing a variety of video games. I have friends who only play games like COD, Madden, and Assassin's Creed, and they would quickly give up on a game like Bayonetta where you are constantly dodging chaos and have to remember combos. Just look at the biggest sellers every year. They are games that somebody who is playing their very first video game could sit down and have fun with. No penalty for dying and you almost never die anyway. One button combat, with a large world to explore and map markers to tell you the exact GPS coordinates of where you are supposed to go. It is very hard to have mass market success with a complex game on consoles, and with a AAA budget, the only games that aren't going to post heavy losses are games that the vast majority of the gaming community buys into.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Wild_man_22 said:

The games they make are obscure.

Look at some of the games they make. They aren't really marketable.

The "mainstream" appealing game they've made is probably vanquish or revengeance.

anyways, it shouldn't matter they aren't wildly popular. Because if they were I bet eventually alot of these games wouldn't be nearly as special.

Enjoy the fact that platinum get to create games that they genuinely want to. Or at least that's how it seems.

This. They make obscure niche titles. But this is what allows them to always be weird and unique. If they had mainstream success then they would be corrupted and make annualized crapola.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:

Poor marketing.

Platinum Games' audience already knows about their games. Spending an additional 20 million hoping mainstreamers will be into their weird niche japanese games is a gamble not worth taking. Even worse a gamble that could cripple the studio. Their games are not crazy expensive and sell well to the intended audience who already know about the game.

I believe the reason the studio has not caved in is because they have kept cost in line with sales expectations. Instead of blowing 200 million on one game they have respectable budgets and get plenty of free advertising through gaming channels.

I love how gamers throw around marketing like it's just some easy solution to a problem. Or as if it's always a problem. They don't need COD sales to survive and that is why they have survived this long. I always go out of my way to buy a Platinum Games release. I follow them like people follow a band they love.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#93  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Poor marketing.

Platinum Games' audience already knows about their games.

My friend, this is wonderful. Sadly, the point of marketing is to reach out to people who aren't aware first and foremost. This (believe it or not) expands an audience and creates more money.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
@uninspiredcup said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Poor marketing.

My friend, this is wonderful. Sadly, the point of marketing is to reach out to people who aren't aware first and foremost. This (believe it or not) expands an audience and creates more money.

@uninspiredcup said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Poor marketing.

That's exactly my point though. They don't NEED to waste millions advertising to POSSIBLY HOPE that a mainstream audience will understand their bizarre idiosyncrasies. They get enough sales to exist as is. I wouldn't ad an extra dime to their advertising budget. It's a waste. That's like spending 40 million to advertise a david lynch movie to mainstream audience who aren't going to like it in the first place.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#95  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

My friend, you seem to view marketing as a very black and white thing with limited perspective.

A very good example of marketing in recent years as a whole was an expensive movie with an inexpensive but highly creative and well thought out marketing. The Dark Knight viral campaign.

In simple more traditional terms, using a trailer, long before the movie was actually ready, with nothing big a simple logo teasing the Jokers voice ramped up the hype level and interest immensely.

Loading Video...

When people say" oh oh oh marketing is expensive" "oh oh oh it's a waste of time" it indicates the person has 0 idea or concept of marketing. Good marketing can be done with very little resources and generate much interest and consequently profit.

Money doesn't mean shit if the thing being sold, is being sold badly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Lulu_Lulu

@PurpleMan5000

You're Right, I suppose it is Relative. However you said the controls were complex, they aren't anymore complex than Madden. The gameplay is complicated sure but the controls are simple. Thats what depth is.

"......map markers to tell you the exact GPS coordinates of where you are supposed to go."

The Alternative is you get lost and thats a total waste of time. I agree that games have been becoming more accessible in all the wrong ways but the Giant Arrow on the Screen telling you exactly where to go is a God Send, every game is better for having it. Why should reaching a destination be a pain in the @ss ?

I've noticed that the industry and community are beggining to polarize these concepts. Its become tradition for games to reacted to any new concept by going in the Exact opposite direction only to a higher magnitude. So as games get easier and easier ever so slightly, hardcore games respond by demanding the game to be impossible, unfair and unbalanced. This is what created Dark Souls, its just an Exegerated Opposite Reaction to a slight change.

Both of these issues are ruining gaming, not just one of them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulu_Lulu

I'l even go as far as saying the game telling you what to do is a fantastic too. It worked just fine for DiRT 3 and Forza.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 PurpleMan5000

@Lulu_Lulu: The problem with the map marker is that you only really see it in open world, supposedly non-linear games. It defeats the whole purpose of both said open worldness and nonlinearity. I can't count the number of times I have heard people say that TES games have great exploration. You aren't really exploring anything if the entire world is already mapped out for you, down to item locations, though. You are just playing a game that has been watered down to accommodate the non-linearity rather than a tighter, more linear experience all for the sake of having an enormous world that you won't bother to run across more than once because you can just fast travel right next to the destination. It's just pointless.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, you seem to view marketing as a very black and white thing with limited perspective.

A very good example of marketing in recent years as a whole was an expensive movie with an inexpensive but highly creative and well thought out marketing. The Dark Knight viral campaign.

In simple more traditional terms, using a trailer, long before the movie was actually ready, with nothing big a simple logo teasing the Jokers voice ramped up the hype level and interest immensely.

Loading Video...

When people say" oh oh oh marketing is expensive" "oh oh oh it's a waste of time" it indicates the person has 0 idea or concept of marketing. Good marketing can be done with very little resources and generate much interest and consequently profit.

Money doesn't mean shit if the thing being sold, is being sold badly.

I wouldn't use the dark knight as an example. WB spent god knows how many millions advertising that movie. Not to mention public awareness of that movie was through the roof before they ever spent a dime. Even those viral marketing campaigns weren't free and probably cost a bundle. What seems cheap to you probably cost millions to them.

There's better examples of your point...just don't use a movie that cost 200 million to make, prob 100 million to advertise, and made one billion world wide at the box office.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#100  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Platinum's games don't tend to be very mainstream. They also don't have much advertising.