Why don't game developers make more Adventure games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
I don't ever see Adventure games come out. We need more Adventure games like Zelda and SOTC. I like Rpgs and I play them all the time but lately I've been thinking about how fun it would be to play a great Adventure game.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

You mean action-adventures, right? :) Zelda isn't an adventure game.

Anyway...why? Because they're not as popular as pure action games while at the same time just as expensive, if not more to make.

However recently action-adventure elements have been creeping into action games more and more. Games like Bioshock or Far Cry2 are already pretty much action-adventure.

And whole sandbox genre is also very much action-adventure in different form

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts
If not adventure what can you consider Zelda as?
jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts

You mean action-adventures, right? :) Zelda isn't an adventure game.

Anyway...why? Because they're not as popular as pure action games while at the same time just as expensive, if not more to make.

However recently action-adventure elements have been creeping into action games more and more. Games like Bioshock or Far Cry2 are already pretty much action-adventure.

And whole sandbox genre is also very much action-adventure in different form

AdrianWerner

Yeah I guess action-adventure is right. I'm not too big on most of the Sandbox games though like Saints Row and GTA.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AdrianWerner
If not adventure what can you consider Zelda as?Chutebox
action-adventure of course. Adventure is stuff like Myst or Monkey Island.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't ever see Adventure games come out. We need more Adventure games like Zelda and SOTC. I like Rpgs and I play them all the time but lately I've been thinking about how fun it would be to play a great Adventure game. jeffdoomsday

Adventure, and Platformers are dying like Fighting games, in lieu of Shooters.

I agree. When games like Uncharted, Braid, Ratchet:Future, Ratchet:Booty PSN, Kameo, etc. don't sale like they should. I will continue to do my best to support them.

I would love a Jack 4, Sly Cooper 4, Psychonauts 2, Conker 2, etc. We need to get those sales up.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]If not adventure what can you consider Zelda as?AdrianWerner
action-adventure of course. Adventure is stuff like Myst or Monkey Island.

Oh nevermind, I misread.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

I haven't seen a adventure game in ages, think the last one I played was Syberia.

You want good adventure games you have to go back to the 90s with dos-box really, the genre hasn't been anywhere near that it was for years because good writers are hard to come by and the fact that other more interactive genres have taken primary positions in the market.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
you will find them on all on the pc
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

yeah I need more Zelda's..write that down miyamoto(spelling)..I will buy a Wii for a new Zelda!

I hope Prince of Persia will be good.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killerfist

it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.chutup
meh.. small mistake

you're in a "adventure" after all in the Zelda games.

I hate the 'point & click' PC adventures with a passion btw

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.killerfist

meh.. small mistake

So do most people, unfortunately, that's why they've died out. That and nobody ever thought to really advance the genre at all. At least we still have Sam & Max.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts
I agree and love the genre but a sweet one just released as a action/adventure/rpg that should not be missed and that being - Fable 2.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.killerfist

meh.. small mistake

used to love those point & click games on PC back in the 90's... Monkey island, Full throttle, Sam & max, Grim Fandango, Discworld etc etc

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killerfist
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.chutup

meh.. small mistake

So do most people, unfortunately, that's why they've died out. That and nobody ever thought to really advance the genre at all. At least we still have Sam & Max.

The last true adventure game I played was Dementia way back. You played a granny that suffered from dementia and other mental illnesses. Everything in game was supposed to be her imagination and fatasies with a strange talking bunny (with headset and sunglasses:P) as your guide. The bunny "made" the world I believe. It had 5 discs, and was a pretty hard game at the time (I was 10 I think:P)

Though I believe the game was banned in some areas as it was "offensive" to the elderly.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

meh.. small mistake

I think the point-and-click aspect is the big part of the adventure genre that has gone away with the push to 3D gaming. In 3D gaming, the mouse is better suited for looking.

In this respect, the Adventure and Action-Adventure genres have mixed together somewhat, making distinctions a bit hard to make. However, it can be admitted that most 3D adventures were heavy on the action in contrast to things like Myst (and its remake RealMyst) that focused more on exploration and puzzle-solving.

An honest 3D adventure is indeed possible, just not popular at this point in time.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

They make what sells the best. Developing is a business and they seek to make money although many on here are not able to understand that. Many on here think developers put millions of dollors and man hours into making a game to put a smile on our face.

Sure there will always be every style of game but the games that sell the best will be the ones being made the most.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
Adventure games take a long time to make, and there's always the unpredictabilty of the industry, that you may never see a return on a game in the genre. As much as I loath it, Assassin's Creed was a giant game, and I'm sure it took a long time to make, they got lucky they had such a mass market appeal with the game.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

Because so called "hardcore" gamers think there kiddy garbage.

Look at all the hate games like LBP and Banjo N&B is getting from lemmings and cow's.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.chutup

meh.. small mistake

Adventure games dying out is a modern myth and has nothing to do with reality nowadays. It's currently one of THE strongest genres on PC

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.AdrianWerner

meh.. small mistake

Adventure games dying out is a modern myth and has nothing to do with reality nowadays. It's currently one of THE strongest genres on PC

As far as PC MMO is strongest and then Shooters second then RPG third and then RTS and anything else not close..
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="chutup"]it's hilarious, yet poignant, that the guy who wants more adventure games doesn't actually know what an adventure game is.Eltroz

meh.. small mistake

As far as PC MMO is strongest and then Shooters second then RPG third and then RTS and anything else not close..

profits wise? Sure. But when you count ammount of quality games? Counting games good and above (so by GS scale 7.0 and more) there have been more worthwhile adventure games this year than MMOs and shooters combined

And also profits wise strategy dwarfs shooters

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

profits wise? Sure. But when you count ammount of quality games? Counting games good and above (so by GS scale 7.0 and more) there have been more worthwhile adventure games this year than MMOs and shooters combined

AdrianWerner
Then let's hear them. And are they true adventures in contrast to action-adventures?
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Its an entertainment industry. If they don't make it then 99% of the time it means that development cost vs revenue generated makes it a worthless venture unless its something like Zelda which already has a guarenteed fan base and sales.

-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts
True say. I want more RPGs and Adventures (not linear mow down enemies like Uncharted, thats what Uncharted is here for, something different) for my PS3. I'm thinking of picking up Ratchet & Clank Future since its cheap now and what not, but I really want some good solid RPGs. Can't wait for White Knight Story/Chronicles (still not sure which one they've chosen).
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
The adventure genre itself requires a lot of immagination and stuff to keep it from getting old. Adventure games need to distinguish themselves a bit with something unique, otherwise they end up being more of the same that we have played for the last 10 years.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

HuusAsking

Then let's hear them. And are they true adventures in contrast to action-adventures?

Even on Gamespot (which has always been notorious for underrating this genre) when it comes to 7.0+ adventure games this year we got:

Jack Keane

Dracula: Origin

Cleopatra

Murder in Abbey

Penumbra:Black Pleague

Sam and Max: Season 2

Strond Bad episoe 2

Overclocked

Experiment

Rhiannon

Plus Apollo Justice 4 on DS

and yes, all are real adventure games

wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
Action Adventure games seem to be dying because of the amount of shooters developers are focusing on.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

AdrianWerner

No way. Just because there's been a spike in the amount of low-budget titles coming does not mean the genre is strong at all. It's especially not strong when the genre is incredibly stale compared to other genres, and the most innovative traditional title is a storytelling gimmick (Overclocked).

I love my adventure genre, but it's like a noob trying to zerg rush against the colossal might of a skilled opponent (The FPS, RTS, or RPG genre) armed with Protoss Zealots.

Once the rest of the European devs start getting more ambitious like Quantic Dream, then will I start to see how awesome it is.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdrianWerner

No way. Just because there's been a spike in the amount of low-budget titles coming does not mean the genre is strong at all. It's especially not strong when the genre is incredibly stale compared to other genres, and the most innovative traditional title is a storytelling gimmick (Overclocked).

FrozenLiquid

Nope, you're dead wrong. THere are many coming and selling and scoring well. This means the genre is doing well. The genre being "dead" isn't based on it appealing to FrozenLiquid's tastes.

And incredibly stale? COmpared to what? Shooters? RPGs? Where is innovation in those? At least I can see plenty of innovation in Penumbra and Experiment, as well as many DS Adventure games. THis gen the only decent non-stale FPS was STALKER.

And I'm not sure I would like to see others following Quantic Dreams in the future, Heavy Rain is raising seriously mixed emotions in me, it looks less and less like adventure game and more and more like a series of QTEs

strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
Bring back Jak! Bring back Jak!