Why don't you have a WiiU?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

Pretty simple question and I'm expecting Pretty simple (or rather obvious) answers.

The WiiU isn't having too much of a good time since it was released, even at the 2013 Holiday Season which many have stated that the WiiU was actually the Console to Get!

With Nintendo Stocks down and the WiiU setting up to be the Biggest Disappointment since the Virtual Boy, It begs the Question of Why don't gamers have a WiiU?

Here's a list of things that can be done on a WiiU.

1. Play Wii U Games
  2. Play Wii Games
  3. Play Select SNES, Genesis, Turbo Graphix, N64, and NES games (via Wii mode or WiiU Virtual Console)
  4. Play WiiWare Games!
  5. Play eShop games!
  6. Shop at eShop!
  7. Shop at Wii Store (on Wii Mode)
  8. Stream Videos & Movies on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, or Youtube.
  9. Browse the Web
  10. Stream MP4 videos from your Computer on to WiiU
  11. Draw on Miiverse
  12. Get Tips or Tricks or just Comment on Miiverse
  13. Send Messages to Friends via Miiverse
  14. Video Chat
  15. Play Online with Various Games on both the WiiU and Wii Library.
  16. Makes Miis
  17. Plug any headset in the WiiU controller and you can hear your Game while in Gamepad mode.
  18. See what shows are on with Nintendo TVii.
  19. Use the Gamepad as a Universal Remote to turn on your TV and Change Channels.
  20. Check out what you played and how long you played through the Statistics App.
  21. Check out Google Maps through the Map App thing I don't remember what it's called. Street View?

and that's about it as far as I can tell. Of course all of this is practically rendered useless if you don't have WiFi Internet or the Lan Adaptor. which dwindles everything down to Playing Wii and WiiU games (and download titles if you have any).

WiiU can do a lot of things. One of the best features of the System would be the main feature Playing your Games through your Tablet Controller. Yet that was not enough to satisfy Gamer Needs.

So tell me System Wars, Why don't you have a WiiU?

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46294 posts) -

Sometimes, I wish I did.

#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3575 posts) -

Don't have the money right now.

#4 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5395 posts) -

Too kiddy, not enough 1080p, games play exactly as they did in the 80s, I'm terrified of new controllers, etc...

#5 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26729 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Don't have the money right now.

Yep. Same here.

#6 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

not worth owning

#7 Posted by AtariKidX (6277 posts) -

No money for other console........i already have buy the PS4.

#8 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3786 posts) -

I know this thread says "why DONT you own a Wii U"... however, I just want to chime in with this. My wife and I got our children a Wii U for Christmas not fully knowing what to expect or how they would take to it. However, I must say this... since Christmas, it has seen A LOT of use. The games that are out for it are fantastic. Even with a small library, it is already shaping up MUCH better than the Wii. I remember we got a Wii shortly after launch (looked everywhere and then had to wait in line for hours), and I was never that content with it... BUT.. I would have definitely gotten a Wii U at launch if I knew how fantastic it really was. The Wii U pro controllers are a must in my opinion though. That is another $100 up front if you want 2. We rarely EVER use the gamepad unless it is necessary, and the Wii U Pro Controllers are excellent. So, if you are a fence sitter and you aren't worried about price, snag a pro controller or two and it is a blast.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@AtariKidX said:

No money for other console........i already have buy the PS4.

Lies.

Even if you had the money

#10 Posted by Heil68 (44560 posts) -

I have one and really, it's not worth owing.

#11 Edited by m_machine024 (14989 posts) -

Lack of money, price and games. But that's going to change soon. Hopefully getting a new job soon and Tropical Freeze is a must have for me.

#12 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Kinda sad since I have one and I think it's worth owning.

Then again I have over 60 games I can play on my WiiU, so there's that. Why do you have so little games for the system?

#13 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16439 posts) -

Just throwing out a big feature list isn't going to make me buy a Wii U. The feature list is pretty small if you compare it to using a PC, PS4, and X1.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

Just throwing out a big feature list isn't going to make me buy a Wii U. The feature list is pretty small if you compare it to using a PC, PS4, and X1.

PC has the biggest Feature List of All. Nothing, but another PC can beat PC.

Also I made that list to inform the uninformed what the WiiU can do naturally.

#15 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

Poor value the wii u has no 3rd party support and less than 20 percent of the ps4's power but cost 75 percent of the ps4. No faith in the brand after the wii that got no games for it's last 2 years despite being the console gen winner. The wii u has no storage nintendo say hey go buy a external hard drive. It also is missing standard console features found on even the 360 and ps3.

I had a wii u but I sold it and I am glad I did. Oh at least on the games I played there was no dd 5.1 signal just pro-logic 2. I paid 400 for a 360 with crappy online and a super slow OS. I grabbed it cause I saw the e3 zelda demo and I liked it. I thought that after years of no wii games the megatons would be ready. Yeah Nintendo got me thank God I found a Sucker who took that crap in a box off my hands.

At this point the wii u might not even be in the market in 3 years. I twill be like the original xbox I think it will be killed and a new console will come out.

#16 Posted by locopatho (20282 posts) -

Just bought one today. Honestly, it's just because it was cheap @ 225 euros (with Nintendoland) and I have some spare cash. There's really only the 3D Mario game and Pikmin 3 that I am mad to play. Might pick up the 2D Marios and Wonderful 101 as well. And of course will get whatever AAA titles Nintendo release in future too like Zelda and X. Not gonna be buying remakes, rehashes or shitty spinoffs tho.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it to any gamer friend. It's the usual reasons you know yourself, Legato. By FAR the worst graphics, sound, online, account system, 3rd party support and media features of the 8th gen consoles and PC. Only a tiny handful of games worth getting per year (please don't rattle off a list of last gen ports or virtual console games as a reason to get it...). For me it's a luxury, secondary system for a couple of exclusives a year, I think even a hardcore Nintendo fan would be utterly crazy to have it as their primary/only system.

#17 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Too expensive. It's should be less than $200 with a decent number of bundled items.

#18 Edited by silversix_ (14623 posts) -

1- Underpowered. I never buy weak systems because it feels like im spending money on something that should've been released half a decade earlier

2- Never was nor will be a huge Mario fan so when people say "you buy a nintendo system for first party" there's nothing for me but Metroid which we haven't seen in how many years again?

3- Its 2014 and they're still using friend codes LOL

4- None existent multiplats support. Multiplats are by FAR the games i enjoy the most

5- Nothing but X looks like an interesting title i'd be willing to buy if i owned the system

6- Extremely overpriced for what is offered in the box

7- All of the above isn't changing any time soon

#19 Posted by princeofshapeir (14171 posts) -

No. Games.

#20 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

For the same reason I haven't owned a box of crayons since I was eleven.

"When I became a man, I put away childish things" - Corinthians 13

#21 Posted by getyeryayasout (7526 posts) -

Between 360/PS3/PS4 my plate is overflowing as it is. I'd like a WiiU, it's just not a priority for me now. Maybe in a couple years, when the library has grown a bit.

#22 Edited by 3SidedSquare (297 posts) -

Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker are the only games out right now that I want to play, but I can't justify the purchase of the system for just that.

I'm waiting for Smash and/or Zelda U.

#23 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2448 posts) -

I have and it sucks. It has NO ONLINE GAMING, NO GAMES!!! ALSO SYSTEM IS WEAKER THAN PS3 OR XBOX 360. DO NOT BUY IT!!!

I MEAN SYSTEM ALREADY FLOPPED. WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY SYSTEM JUST FOR SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES??(AND NO ONLINE GAMING).

DO NOT BUY. IT FLOPPED FOR REASON

#24 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Lack of third party support.

Lack of games that interest me.

Tablet controller that is expensive to replace.

Cost too much.

Crappy online service.

Last gen specs aren't help convince me to buy one.

Own a 3DS XL, which gives me access to Nintendo IPs.

#25 Posted by Heil68 (44560 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

Then again I have over 60 games I can play on my WiiU, so there's that. Why do you have so little games for the system?

3rd party games are better played on other systems I own and I've grown tired of Mario games, which leaves very few exclusives that Nintendo makes that I would want to play. TW101 demo was not fun to me, so that game was a no go. Only thing I'm interested in is X and possibly SSBB.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (40613 posts) -

cuz it made me feel LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT

#27 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

3rd party games are better played on other systems I own and I've grown tired of Mario games, which leaves very few exclusives that Nintendo makes that I would want to play. TW101 demo was not fun to me, so that game was a no go. Only thing I'm interested in is X and possibly SSBB.

So no backtracking on Wii games? Sounds like you made an impluse buy instead of getting a system you know you'd like. Sorry you couldn't enjoy The Wonderful 101.

#28 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

1. Lack of support from 3rd parties

2. Nintendo's current anemic offerings aren't enough to offset lack of 3rd party support

3. Bad digital policies

4. Bad value; this poor selling console is guaranteed to see more price cuts in the near future, and when that time comes it might have more than 1-2 games that interest me.

5. Alternatives that lack these issues are $100-$200 more.

6. Console purchases are long-term investments for my entertainment. Why invest into something that has such a cloudy future?

#29 Posted by Heil68 (44560 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

So no backtracking on Wii games? Sounds like you made an impluse buy instead of getting a system you know you'd like. Sorry you couldn't enjoy The Wonderful 101.

Naw, I'm really not buying any gen 7 games. Only one I'm thinking about playing is Batman Origins. I do have PSN+ so I'll probably play some games that I skipped if they show up, like DMC that I'm playing now. I cant think of any Wii game I skipped that I would want to play.

#30 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

The new Zelda isnt out yet. When it debuts I may very well buy a Wii-U.

#31 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Naw, I'm really not buying any gen 7 games. Only one I'm thinking about playing is Batman Origins. I do have PSN+ so I'll probably play some games that I skipped if they show up, like DMC that I'm playing now. I cant think of any Wii game I skipped that I would want to play.

Yep Impluse buy. Sorry you wasted money on something you didn't think through first. Sell it and get a PS4, unless you already have one and just use the money for more PS+, or a Vita it has cool games too.

#32 Edited by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

Too expensive and it's most likely going to end up like the Wii.

#33 Posted by jg4xchamp (48129 posts) -

I got it for 200 bucks, so I do have it.

But for those that don't have it. Paying over 200 bucks for that system is ridiculous. It has like 3 games worth playing.

#34 Posted by Heil68 (44560 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

Yep Impluse buy. Sorry you wasted money on something you didn't think through first. Sell it and get a PS4, unless you already have one and just use the money for more PS+, or a Vita it has cool games too.

Oh goodness gracious, I got the PS4 at midnight launch ;)

#35 Posted by sts106mat (19845 posts) -

dont want one

#36 Posted by Shewgenja (9286 posts) -

Waiting to see if it gets a proper Metroid game or StarFox. The Mario game looks real good and I like the retro console stuff. I just need another game or two to tip the balance.

I'm also waiting on the fence for a price drop. I'm very much willing to wait til E3.

#37 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25369 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

Oh goodness gracious, I got the PS4 at midnight launch ;)

sweet, but yeah seriously, if you ain't gonna use the system don't let it waste space. sell it and get a Vita, it compliments PS4 and has awesome games on it.

Sorry to blow off on ya, It just feels wrong to know there's someone with a system that has pretty awesome games not utilizing the system properly, primarily because of different tastes in gaming.

But that's System Wars for ya. No Hard Feelings.

I'm serious on the Vita though, that's another system that needs some love.

#38 Posted by the9thinning (930 posts) -

I already have one. I use it more for the sweet internet browser than the games though.

#39 Posted by V3rciS (2215 posts) -

I bought one a couple of days ago... still waiting for the delivery tho. It will serve as a secondary console for specific Nintendo games that I want to play. PS4 will be the main console but I'll get one in a year, not now, I hate early launch adoptions.

#40 Posted by Giancar (19066 posts) -

Cost of opportunity, aka better gaming alternatives out there.

#41 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3575 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

Too expensive and it's most likely going to end up like the Wii.

The system of the gen?

#42 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2686 posts) -

Don't need one.

#43 Edited by bforrester420 (1604 posts) -

Between work, other hobbies (golf, alpine skiing, weightlifting), home ownership (maintenance, chores, etc) family and social life, I hardly have enough time to play the games I have on PS3 and PC.

I'm typically a "one console per gen" type. I had a PS3 and Wii from Generation 7, being an exception to that trend, and my Wii largely collected dust to the point that I just disconnected it so it wouldn't take up space/draw vampire energy.

@giancar: Impressive, pulling out an Econ 101 term in "Opportunity Cost".

#44 Edited by Boddicker (2741 posts) -

1) Too expensive

2) Only worth owning for Mario and Zelda

#45 Edited by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

Not expensive,have some funds. It's just

1) Horrible value you can get out of it

2) terrible investment

3) Opportunity cost

#46 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12202 posts) -

Because I have no interest in buying one. The games I want to play can be played on other systems, and will look, perform and control better when done so.

#47 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

I did buy it. And it currently gets like 4 times the play time of my ps4. About twice as much as my ps3. One argument I don't understand is the multiplat argument. You most likely already have a system of choice that will have those multiplats available, so that doesn't seem like a good argument. I will say I wouldn't advise getting a Wii U if you're only going to have one console though.

#48 Posted by david61983 (173 posts) -

It's vastly overpriced, no games, no 3rd party support, and the uncertainty as to whether or not Nintendo will support it long term.

#49 Posted by MBirdy88 (8240 posts) -

I can't justify it over a PS4 (which I also can't afford at the moment.)

the priority is PC > PS4 > Wii-U.

PC ... because its by far the best, I have 300 games on steam, and so many good pc games coming out this year.

PS4 ... for the things I can't get on PC (E.G FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny) and Sony's better first party than X1.

I just can't justify a Wii-U for 3 mario games ( 2 of which are practically the same. ) , 1 smash bros in its entire life span, 1 mario kart in its lifespan, 1 zelda in its lifespan.... it won't even have much 3rd party support, no rune factory. regionally locked.

... a £250 system in which there will be less than 10 "must have" games in its entire lifespan ... which is looking like its going to be 3-4 years tops before its canned at this rate. outdate online, not enough GB to do anything.

its just.... the worst system ever in terms of value and "up-to-dateness"

"buh buh wii-anywhere in the house" ...

Yea I'd sooner splash out for a Vita to go with the PS4..... at least that will have PS NOW functionallity to add a ton of value eventually.

#50 Edited by adamosmaki (9621 posts) -

i wouldnt mind owning one but at the price it is ( 300 euros ) i find it hard to justify its purchase ( when i can get a Ps3 or 360 for 200 euros and they have more console exclusives than wiiu does ). Maybe in 1-2 years when more exclusives are available and its price is closer to 200