Why does Sony steal ideas?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Lems back to old arguments I see. No one copied Kinect, Sony took an existing technology and incororated it into their product to expand and(or) enhance the experience. Microsoft did the same, I guess the first company who put a camera on a mobile phone is just copying digital cameras then?

Idiot.

#52 Edited by sSubZerOo (43215 posts) -

Every industry builds off ideas within the field.. Every company does this.

#53 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Well, nobody is going to copy Sony's awesome ideas like ... hahahahahaha, sorry sorry, this is too funny, Sony's awesome ideas like ... hahahahahaha

Using a CELL processor.

#54 Posted by kraken2109 (13067 posts) -

Kia are copying ford because their cars also have 4 wheels

#55 Edited by cainetao11 (17692 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

The touchscreen middle of the dualshock 4 is like the Wii U gamepad, only it doesn't display anything. The new ps eye is an obvious Kinect rip off. And I know the original ps eye came out for ps2 but it was nothing like the kinect, it was abandoned and now they are trying to resurrect it being a rip-off of the Kinect, only it won't be as good. The stupid ps move motion controls ripping off the Wii.

And I have been with playstation since ps1, it doesnt take a genius to see they steal ideas.

Every company does it, in every industry. Big deal.

#56 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

Well, nobody is going to copy Sony's awesome ideas like ... hahahahahaha, sorry sorry, this is too funny, Sony's awesome ideas like ... hahahahahaha

Using a CELL processor.

don't be so sure

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/xbox-360-built-around-playstation-3-cell-technology.html

#57 Posted by voljin1987 (734 posts) -

@saosebastiao said:

So hey, if Sony steals ideas from Nintendo, maybe Nintendo should start stealing Sony or MS's policies for games, you know, like making new IP's and not making new generation versions of old games.

And why stop it there? Nintendo should also steal the idea of making a new console actually powerful enough to be considered a new generation console.

Just making their games not be region lock would be good enough for me :(

#58 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5222 posts) -

Touch pad and LCD are the same? Yikes TC is a moron...

#59 Edited by TheEroica (13692 posts) -

The copycat thread has returned... I'm at the bottom of the first page so no ones gonna read this... FAAART!! no one heard me. :(

On topic, its the big bang theory on alot of this tech... you can always go one step earlier to find someone else actually tried it first.

#60 Edited by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

This thread is so stupid i think it gave me a little bit of cancer

#61 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@metal_zombie said:

@psymon100 said:

Using a CELL processor.

don't be so sure

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/xbox-360-built-around-playstation-3-cell-technology.html

I already know about that, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor) What's your point man? The Xbox 360 CPU isn't CELL.

Why isn't Sony using a CELL architecture for the PS4? Why isn't any video game console manufacturer? Maybe because it's a poor choice?

#62 Edited by KBFloYd (13793 posts) -

think about it...the biggest game on a sony console is to steal and rob people and cars..lol only natural.

#63 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

and the biggest games on Nintendo is a fat plumber and an androgynous elf...... lol only natural....

#64 Posted by McStrongfast (4271 posts) -

Stealing good ideas is part of evolution, like how we stole opposable thumbs from the monkeys. Or would you prefer it if we had paddle hands maybe?

#65 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

All companies do this however Sony are definitely the worst for it because they never even improve on the idea

#66 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Every company does it. You can't come up with every idea your self. I only care when it's a half assed attempt ie early psn

#67 Posted by xh117 (75 posts) -

Because Sony is smart to take ideas from the competition, Nintendo should copy Sony in some ways like cross buy and having a better online service/shop with free games like PS+. Microsoft should copy the dualshock controllers bluetooth connectivity and ability to recharge via usb.

#68 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -

Ok, they steal ideas. Now just try to move on.

#69 Edited by Jag85 (4576 posts) -

@tormentos:

@tormentos said:

@Jag85 said:

Why did Sony "steal" both the D-pad and the analog stick from Nintendo? Why did Sony "copy" the motion controls from Nintendo? Why did Sony "copy" the four face buttons and the shoulder buttons from the SNES gamepad? Why did Sony "copy" the wireless gamepad concept from Nintendo's Wavebird?

As for the analog stick, the ones before the N64 were either lacking the self-centering, or the 360 directions, or the degree of push, or the top part to comfortably grip it with your thumb. It was Nintendo's innovations that made the analog stick the standard for 3D gaming. While Sony has had some innovations, they don't quite come close to what Nintendo's innovations have done for the video game industry.

Motion control doesn't = Nintendos idea where in hell did you pull oh the yeah the wii,which was release after the PS Eye which used motion in games.

But wait there was a motion controller on PC before the Gamecube was even launch let alone the wii,the same with wireless controller on PS there were from 3rd parties and before the wavebird.

Funny why does the wii U controller has 2 analogues and not 1,why does it have rumble build in instead of a rumble pack.

Analogues are not Nintendo idea either dude Atary was there first way before Nintendo was..

The N64 analogue wasn't click-able like the R3 and L3 on the PS controllers either.

And is there that basically that running and mele are map on almost all FPS now..Funny isn't.?

Nintendo were experimenting with motion controls long before Sony, Microsoft, and the PC, as far back as the NES era in fact, with early motion control devices like the Power Pad mat, the Power Glove, and the U-Force. The only other gaming company to experiment with motion controls before them was their rival Sega in the arcades.

As for the analog stick, try to read what I already stated above: "As for the analog stick, the ones before the N64 were either lacking the self-centering, or the 360 directions, or the degree of push, or the top part to comfortably grip it with your thumb. It was Nintendo's innovations that made the analog stick the standard for 3D gaming." The Atari 5200 joystick controller is way too primitive compared to the N64's analog stick.

Like I already said above, Sony did make some innovations of their own, but not enough to rival Nintendo, or even Sega. Sorry, but that's the reality. But at least Sony have been more innovative than Microsoft, so why not just be happy with that? Isn't Microsoft your main rival?

#70 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

everyone "steals" ideas; it's how we advance - in any aspect of society, not just gaming.

#71 Posted by delta3074 (18406 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

The touchscreen middle of the dualshock 4 is like the Wii U gamepad, only it doesn't display anything. The new ps eye is an obvious Kinect rip off. And I know the original ps eye came out for ps2 but it was nothing like the kinect, it was abandoned and now they are trying to resurrect it being a rip-off of the Kinect, only it won't be as good. The stupid ps move motion controls ripping off the Wii.

And I have been with playstation since ps1, it doesnt take a genius to see they steal ideas.

Every company steals other companys ideas and try to make them better, it's the way the industry works, it's called taking an existing idea and innovating

#72 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@kingoflife9 said:

Every company steals other companys ideas and try to make them better, it's the way the industry works, it's called taking an existing idea and innovating

Sony very rarely innovate though

#73 Posted by Vatusus (4675 posts) -

Oh shut up. Both the wii mote and the kinect were rip-offs of previous Sony concepts.