Why does Quantum Break look so boring?

• 155 results
#1 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16589 posts) -

Was anyone incredibly underwhelmed by the gameplay reveal of Quantum Break? I was honestly expecting something unique and fresh from Remedy. In reality, its probably the most generic looking game at gamescom. The action and shooting looked kinda bad. Weak gun sounds and powers which only look okay.

In a new generation of consoles, I think Microsoft needs to take more risks instead of making more everyday shooters.

#2 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9030 posts) -

Because it's not on PS4.

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (40980 posts) -

I thought it looked great. In Remedy, I trust.

#5 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

I thought it looked great. Looked like Remedy doing Max Payne again. I read somewhere that there was more to the game than just the shooting that we saw, and of course there's the TV show tie-in that they didn't mention. I don't know my man, looked good to me. One of the most compelling reasons for me to get an X1, I love Remedy though, I'm admittedly biased. :P

#6 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9030 posts) -

Remedy realized that fully-blown movie game with little gameplay won't sell so they amplified Alan Wake with considerable touch of their best work, Max Payne. It really feels like Remedy on top of their game again. I'm also pretty confident that there is a lot more to the game - both in story-driven sections and in the gameplay itself. Remember that the players will control the main antagonist from time to time. There will also be branching out moments at the end of each episode / level and they're not ditching the supplementary live-action series either.

#7 Posted by 35cent (916 posts) -

It reminded me of Max Payne. And I love Max Payne so I thought this game looked good.

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (30090 posts) -

Because it's Remedy.

#9 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Looks OK to me, but it does look like it might get repetitive unless there are more abilities. Also I noticed in the stopped time sequences the the character could still slow down time again which is a bit odd.

#10 Edited by Sollet (7395 posts) -

Maybe it's the color palette? Looks rather drab on that department.

#11 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Maybe your taste in games sucks.

#12 Posted by silversix_ (14803 posts) -

Because its Alan Wake without his flashlight.

#13 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2101 posts) -

QB looks amazing too me. I think the visuals rival anything we have seen to date on the X1 or PS4 and the gameplay looks like a cross between Max Payne, ISS and Uncharted. Weird how a MS exclusive seems to combine two of Sony's best exclusives gameplay elements.

#14 Edited by iwasgood2u (819 posts) -

What qb need is two flashlights making him unstoppable

#15 Edited by quakeknight1991 (1129 posts) -

Because its another of those crappy movie-like TPS that has been done a billion times in the previous gen. Its only natural to find these kind of games boring considering how generic and formulaic they are, not to mention they are a big step backwards in terms of game design.

#16 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

It's the exact same kind of game we've been fed for the entirety of last gen. That's why TC finds it uninspired.

#17 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2595 posts) -

the only thing that put me off of QB gameplay was that time manipulation made the game soooo damn easy ...other than that i think it have great gameplay very similer to The order 1886 but with much less graphics

@silversix_ said:

Because its Alan Wake without his flashlight.

god, i hated that game alot ...so damn boring

#18 Posted by pelvist (4871 posts) -

Probably because its not a PS4 game. The Order looks even more boring TBH.

#19 Edited by quakeknight1991 (1129 posts) -

@pelvist said:

Both The Order 1886 and Quantum Break look like shit. Seriously, killing the movie-like TPS genere would be something positive for the gaming industry. Also stop using the "you are just jealous its not on your system" argument, its really cheap. There are legit reasons to hate what Microsoft has shown about Quantum Break.

#20 Posted by sailor232 (4831 posts) -

Looks amazing to me.

#21 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

Looks just as boring as The Order. I am done with scripted linear games unless it's Uncharted.

#22 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

Same reason every other 8th Gen Game looks so boring.... Because Graphics are all that matter ! This is what gamers asked for and they are just giving them exactly what they deserve.

Naturally, None of this Applies to Nintendo... :p

#23 Posted by rrjim1 (911 posts) -

Looked pretty darn good IMO.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

@edwardecl

Yeah.... How can he slow down time if its already frozen.... Or perhaps he was only slowing down time for those guys in the suits. According to Sam Lake, they consulted a Quantum Physisist about Time Stuff (hahaha), so maybe they have a reason that explains exactly what happened.

#25 Posted by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

I just wish it had black bars, 800p, and covered in grey. Then it would be a master piece!

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (40980 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Ah, ye finally gots an avatar. Cool.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

@freedomfreak

Thank You... :). Thats my real face by the way.

#28 Posted by YD_11 (1857 posts) -

It doesn't. It actually looks very intriguing and has jumped towards the top of my anticipated games having now seen some gameplay.

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5071 posts) -

its looks great if u like tps but really its not doing anything ground breaking, just max payne 2.0 which if fine by me

#30 Posted by freedomfreak (40980 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Thank You... :). Thats my real face by the way.

It certainly looks real.

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

It excells past Max Payne 2 in every way except that damn Time Mechanic.... Max Payne's one was designed better.

#32 Posted by bezza2011 (2559 posts) -

I can't wait to see how it intwines with the series, but I get what you mean, it was a very linear scene, and I felt very inclosed watching it, i mean even the sort of boss fight threw the car which blocked the path he just come from, I didn't really like the speed thing he did, i don't know it didn't look that good, but graphically it looked good, but i did feel like the game wasn't taking much steps forward from last gen, but we will see, I'm still hyped for it.

#33 Posted by intotheminx (703 posts) -

Probably because it looks familiar? Games are starting to look really similar to me lately. We need more games like Portal and Shadow of Colossus.

#34 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21792 posts) -

I would have prefered to see Alan Wake like game with more focus on combat. Alan wake combat lacked variety, two or three enemy types, and the same way to defeat all of them. if they could have showed something new and evolved the gameplay then i'd like to see a new Alan Wake.

#35 Edited by kinectthedots (2014 posts) -

I have said the game looks amazing with no other opinions after...

But honestly it just looks too easy and kind of a bore to play, it would really have to have an amazing story to make me interested after seeing the gameplay. I didn't include these thoughts because I didn't want to sound negative on a great looking x1 title but I see where the TC is coming from.

Great looking game but I got 0 sense of challenge from watching the gameplay.

#36 Edited by Vatusus (4699 posts) -

Nah. As a PS fans I admit QB looks damn fine. Probably the only XOne exclusive that managed to caught my eye so far

#37 Posted by Sollet (7395 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

I just wish it had black bars, 800p, and covered in grey. Then it would be a master piece!

This game already looks drab enough.

#38 Posted by Heirren (17361 posts) -

...Because it is last gen in design, by the looks of it, and it seems that as more time passes developers think it is a good idea to break up the actual gameplay more and more and more.

...Games need to go back to gameplay. Some of these games run on decent engines but are ruined by narrative choices. Let the player play. Levels that get progressively difficult with far more time of straight gameplay.

#39 Posted by Vatusus (4699 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

lol what about the lems that called The Order a linear corridor cover shooter and are now hyping Quantum Break? Hypocrisy goes both ways m8

#40 Posted by j_assassin (908 posts) -

Aim, shoot, cover... i Need more japanese dev games man

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

@j_assassin

Aren't Japanese shooters the same ?

#42 Edited by Shewgenja (9634 posts) -

I didn't think it looked meh. The protagonist seemed a bit OP, though, which could lead to the gameplay turning meh. I'm on the fence on this one. It could still be great and Remedy is pretty good at delivering.

The trailer didn't hype me to the moon like some people on this board, but there is apparently a whole lot more to see. So, I'm reserving judgement.

#43 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3724 posts) -

It does .? Lol , the game looks great and fun to play . Only thing about which I'm confused is the cover system . It feels like there is no dedicated key to trigger it , instead you have to crouch behind objects manually to protect yourself until your power recharges . If that's the case then I'll be more than happy .

#44 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

I think it looks great. Waiting to see how to put TV into it.

#45 Posted by farrell2k (6371 posts) -

@quakeknight1991 said:

Because its another of those crappy movie-like TPS that has been done a billion times in the previous gen. Its only natural to find these kind of games boring considering how generic and formulaic they are, not to mention they are a big step backwards in terms of game design.

Word.

#46 Posted by LustForSoul (5887 posts) -

It's basically next gen Max Payne 1/2.

#47 Posted by pelvist (4871 posts) -

@quakeknight1991 said:

@pelvist said:

Both The Order 1886 and Quantum Break look like shit. Seriously, killing the movie-like TPS genere would be something positive for the gaming industry. Also stop using the "you are just jealous its not on your system" argument, its really cheap. There are legit reasons to hate what Microsoft has shown about Quantum Break.

Agree 100%

#48 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13701 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium

Yeah.... Cowering behind cover sure looks like blast :)

don't get me wrong, cover systems are great, Regenerating Health plus Regenerating Powers is not a good combo though, especially if that power is bringing time to a complete stand still that baddies can't do nothing about it.

I know that such things are tempting but games that are basicly eternal God Modes are actually Boring.

#49 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1613 posts) -

Yeah I had the same feeling too. I was really underwhelmed its just another coverbased shooter. But I read in an article here that its more than that because you use your power to do other puzzle type stuff in the game. I will give my final opinion once the game is out though.

#50 Posted by heguain (669 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

I thought it looked great. In Remedy, I trust.