Why does Gran Turismo take forever to come out?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -
Forza has 2,3,4, and Horizon all come out in one generation. Why does it take PD so long? And all four titles have been awesome
#2 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

Because it takes 5 forza games to sell what gran turismo sells in 24 hours

#3 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Because the folks at Polyphony Digital are supposed "perfectionists" even though their most recent release was unfinished after about 5 years of development.

#4 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

It took Gran Turismo 5, five years to make and what happened? It flopped lol

I just want to know what they were doing in all that time, and why the final product wasn't like anything that was promised.

#5 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

incompetency.

#6 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7503 posts) -
Who knows really. One thing for sure though is that Sony will never rush PD because GT5 Prologue (5 Million) and GT5 (8 Million) outsold all those Forza games combined. That's all Sony cares about.
#7 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

Who knows really. One thing for sure though is that Sony will never rush PD because GT5 Prologue (5 Million) and GT5 (8 Million) outsold all those Forza games combined. That's all Sony cares about.FlamesOfGrey

GT5 sold 9m

#8 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7503 posts) -

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Who knows really. One thing for sure though is that Sony will never rush PD because GT5 Prologue (5 Million) and GT5 (8 Million) outsold all those Forza games combined. That's all Sony cares about.Meeeper282

GT5 sold 9m

Last numbers I saw was 8 Million but that was a few months ago. I don't keep up with sales. 9 Million then point still stands though.
#9 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

In all honesty we don't need a sim racer every two years, these games take forever to complete! Plus I still believe Forza 2 is the best Forza thats released.

#10 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Because instead of milking its fanbase and releasing virtually the same game three times at $60 each time, Polyphony would rather release one game that they support constantly and continually for a long time with big updates and events. Polyphony is a good company with a smart fanbase.
#11 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
A combination of perfectionism, diminishing returns, and tolerant management.
#12 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -
Because instead of milking its fanbase and releasing virtually the same game three times at $60 each time, Polyphony would rather release one game that they support constantly and continually for a long time with big updates and events. Polyphony is a good company with a smart fanbase.kuraimen
milking? you mean the $40 Demo that is Prologue? :?
#13 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

Meeeper282
Sales :lol: Going by your Logic,Wii is better than PS3 :lol: Silly Cows,always Owning themselves :lol:
#14 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

jessejay420

Sales :lol: Going by your Logic,Wii is better than PS3 :lol: Silly Cows,always Owning themselves :lol:

Yet you Lems always brag about selling the most consoles. Very ironic of you..

#15 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7310 posts) -
True mediocrity takes time.
#16 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

Because the folks at Polyphony Digital are supposed "perfectionists" even though their most recent release was unfinished after about 5 years of development.

The_Game21x
800 PS2 Cars :lol: Eight Hundred!!!!! i think that goes beyond unfinished.. They released a sh!tty product at launch. Try Unfinished and "LAZY".
#17 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

[QUOTE="jessejay420"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

BattleSpectre

i bever bragged about it. :? i couldnt care less about sales.. wanna know why? because i dont own any stock in the company :? pretty crazy,huh? :?
#18 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

True mediocrity takes time.CanYouDiglt

#19 Posted by andmcq (259 posts) -

The correct answer here is; Poor project management.

#20 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

[QUOTE="jessejay420"] Sales :lol: Going by your Logic,Wii is better than PS3 :lol: Silly Cows,always Owning themselves :lol:jessejay420

i never bragged about it. :? i couldnt care less about sales.. wanna know why? because i dont own any stock in the company :? pretty crazy,huh? :?

Heh finally someone with sense on System Wars. Nice to see another person who doesn't care about sales.

#21 Posted by Fizzman (9869 posts) -

Because doing a bad job require's you to waste a lot of time.

#22 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9510 posts) -

Cuz none is asking for more.

Why do you want to keep buying the same game with minor changes every year.

New tracks and cars arent been built everyday.

Its the same with Boxing games (except in boxing games they never put the good fighters).

#23 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -
I honestly don't care about sales, but GT5 was disappointing. I wouldn't consider it milking either because they all have been great games. I think the last great GT game was 3. GT4 is ok but it felt dated compared to the original FM.
#24 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
They don't outsource their work and get easily distracted.
#25 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

Polyphony are perfectionists.

#26 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

The_Game21x

Pretty much. It's really embarrasing that so-called perfectionists would release something like GT5. I feel kind of sorry for PD because they probably did feel kind of embarrased, but that's what happens when you d!ck around and don't do things in an efficient manor.

#27 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
It makes me wonder what they're gonna do for GT6. With Forza coming out with yearly releases they're really gonna have to impress with their next entry. But what exactly should they put in GT6 for it to match Forza's quality or surpass it.
#28 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
They do everything in house from the ground up. It takes time when you don't outsource all your modeling and slap together a physics engine that contains hidden assists and inaccurate tracks so the casual racers can have an easier time passing while playing with their gamepads since you didn't take the time to add hardly any wheel support.
#29 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

All that time and it is still a flop! :?

#30 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

It makes me wonder what they're gonna do for GT6. With Forza coming out with yearly releases they're really gonna have to impress with their next entry. But what exactly should they put in GT6 for it to match Forza's quality or surpass it.game_masta14

What they should do is aim for less content, more quality.

#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

They do everything in house from the ground up. It takes time when you don't outsource all your modeling and slap together a physics engine that contains hidden assists and inaccurate tracks so the casual racers can have an easier time passing while playing with their gamepads since you didn't take the time to add hardly any wheel support.Nuck81

GT5 has PS2-quality cars in it. That is extremely embarrasing.

#32 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]They do everything in house from the ground up. It takes time when you don't outsource all your modeling and slap together a physics engine that contains hidden assists and inaccurate tracks so the casual racers can have an easier time passing while playing with their gamepads since you didn't take the time to add hardly any wheel support.GreySeal9

And during Gameplay they look just as good as Forza's Cars.

How embarrassing.

Maybe if Turn 10 had actually modeled their cars they would have a decent lighting engine and their cars in game wouldn't look like plastic hot wheels.

Edit: In before someone posts that fake pic of the Suzuki.....

#33 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

xhawk27
Half a point lower than the pinnacle of 360 racing games. How embarrassing for Turn 10.
#34 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]They do everything in house from the ground up. It takes time when you don't outsource all your modeling and slap together a physics engine that contains hidden assists and inaccurate tracks so the casual racers can have an easier time passing while playing with their gamepads since you didn't take the time to add hardly any wheel support.Nuck81

How embarrassing.

Maybe if Turn 10 had actually modeled their cars they would have a decent lighting engine and their cars in game wouldn't look like plastic hot wheels.

You're an idiot.

Really, this garbage you're spewing doesn't deserve a response, but it is to be expected from someone who is bitter that GT has been dethroned.

Also, your criticisms of Forza's visuals don't matter much when critics praise the visuals.

#35 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Nuck81

Half a point lower than the pinnacle of 360 racing games. How embarrassing for Turn 10.

lol, GT was the king. Scoring half a point lower than the new kid on the block is what's embarrasing. I know that as a bitter GT fan you feel the need to spin, but you're not fooling anyone.

Also, Forza 3 beat GT5 by 1.5. Forza 4 is better than Forza 3 but was rightly docked down due to being a shameless rehash.

#36 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"]It makes me wonder what they're gonna do for GT6. With Forza coming out with yearly releases they're really gonna have to impress with their next entry. But what exactly should they put in GT6 for it to match Forza's quality or surpass it.GreySeal9

Yeah but in what way exactly? They could trim the fat with the amount of cars they have but it's not gonna be enough to satisfy both reviewers and fans. Hell, some of those reviewers might complain from the lack of cars in comparison to GT5.
#37 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="game_masta14"]It makes me wonder what they're gonna do for GT6. With Forza coming out with yearly releases they're really gonna have to impress with their next entry. But what exactly should they put in GT6 for it to match Forza's quality or surpass it.game_masta14

Yeah but in what way exactly? They could trim the fat with the amount of cars they have but it's not gonna be enough to satisfy both reviewers and fans. Hell, some of those reviewers might complain from the lack of cars in comparison to GT5.

Well, if those reviewers are just going to be unreasonable, I wouldn't even mind them.

If PD uses their talent at making beautiful cars to give the player about 300-400 extremely beautiful ones, anybody who would complain is just not worth satisfying IMO.

#38 Posted by mems_1224 (46541 posts) -
Because Japanese devs are lazy.
#39 Posted by GreySeal9 (24055 posts) -

Because Japanese devs are lazy.mems_1224

PD is hardly lazy. They're just unfocused.

They didn't put PS2-quality cars in the game because they're lazy. Most likely they put them in because they realize that their ambitions were too much for their actual capabilities and resources, but they didn't want to reneg on their claim of 1000 cars.

#40 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Nuck81

wait, taking 5 years to make one game that scored less than yearly releases of other games is embarrassing for the maker of the latter? i think you're so butthurt you can't even think straight. :lol:

#41 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

How embarrassing.

You're an idiot.

Really, this garbage you're spewing doesn't deserve a response, but it is to be expected from someone who is bitter that GT has been dethroned.

Also, your criticisms of Forza's visuals don't matter much when critics praise the visuals.

Seriously.

There isn't a standard car in GT5 that can hold its own with any of Forza 3's cars in any setting, much less 4 or Horizon's.

But then again, this is the same guy who maintains that Forza is a casual/arcade racer despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary so I'm just convinced he's a little slow on the uptake.

#42 Posted by mems_1224 (46541 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]Because Japanese devs are lazy.GreySeal9

PD is hardly lazy. They're just unfocused.

They didn't put PS2-quality cars in the game because they're lazy. Most likely they put them in because they realize that their ambitions were too much for their actual capabilities and resources, but they didn't want to reneg on their claim of 1000 cars.

I was kidding :P
#43 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] And during Gameplay they look just as good as Forza's Cars.

How embarrassing.

The_Game21x

You're an idiot.

Seriously.

There isn't a standard car in GT5 that can hold its own with any of Forza 3's cars in any setting, much less 4 or Horizon's.

But then again, this is the same guy who maintains that Forza is a casual/arcade racer despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary so I'm just convinced he's a little slow on the uptake.

:lol:

Forza 3 doesn't even have movable spoilers.

Forza 3

GT5

Forza 4 can't compete with GT5 in lighting, in car detail, or on track detail and accuracy.

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

Dunlop2.jpg

#44 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

And during Gameplay they look just as good as Forza's Cars.Nuck81

"These Standard cars are mosty ported over from Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo PSP, and it shows." GT5 Review

Gran Turismo 5 review

Gran_Turismo_5_h_ssliche_Standard_Autos_

800 :lol:

#45 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Well, if those reviewers are just going to be unreasonable, I wouldn't even mind them.

If PD uses their talent at making beautiful cars to give the player about 300-400 extremely beautiful ones, anybody who would complain is just not worth satisfying IMO.

Yeah, but they should keep some good racing options in there or have content thay matches up. Then again, I'm not into racing sims so I don't know what goes into one. But one things for sure, they need to make damage available from the get go or have an option for it.

#46 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] And during Gameplay they look just as good as Forza's Cars.

How embarrassing.

The_Game21x

You're an idiot.

Seriously.

He thinks GT5 Standard Cars look better then Forza 3 Cars :lol: Now thats what i call Butthurt Vol. 5 :lol:
#47 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -
#48 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

Gran_Turismo_5_h_ssliche_Standard_Autos_

jessejay420

Just a bit outside there Poindexter. Should have guessed it would be a moron like you post that pic.

This is what that car really looks like.

i3los.jpg

I would show you how it looks in the Forza games, but, it's not in there.....

#50 Posted by jessejay420 (3747 posts) -

Lets Play "Guess that Standard Car"..

is this a GT4 or GT PSP Car???

grandvalleyeasta.jpg