Why does everyone believe the PS4/XBOX will be much better than the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9853 posts) -
my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.
#202 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.GunSmith1_basic
I know for years dev, console makers everyone has been complaining about this gen costing so much $, so they expect the console makers to these uber powerful systems and put themselves more and the red? Not Gonna happen
#203 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2922 posts) -

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.illmatic8582
I know for years dev, console makers everyone has been complaining about this gen costing so much $, so they expect the console makers to these uber powerful systems and put themselves more and the red? Not Gonna happen

Dev costs are unlikely to rise much, the rise this gen was massive. From around 1million in the PS2 days to 20million on average. There won't be that kind of rise again, we already have CGI level cutscenes, voice acting all over, decent sized worlds, full body motion capture, reasonable detailed characters/environments...

The WiiU will be outclassed by tablets in a year or twos time, the consoles will look absolutely pathetic in the 2-3 year times if you have tablets running games that look better, while consoles are still playing 360 games. Similar to how the Wii was pretty much playing Gamecube games the entire gen. Nothing on the Wii had any type of step up that it couldn't be done in the PS2 gen.

The PS4 and 720 will be pretty large increases devs like Epic and Square Enix aren't working on new engines just for comedy value, they fully expect to utilise them.

#204 Posted by emgesp (2372 posts) -
my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.GunSmith1_basic
Nope, not 1 game on the Wii U will blow away Uncharted 3/God of War 3 visuals.
#205 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.emgesp

Give it time, the system just launched. The only games I have are ZombiU and Mario none of them are better graphically then those games u3 gow3
#206 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.APiranhaAteMyVa

Dev costs are unlikely to rise much, the rise this gen was massive. From around 1million in the PS2 days to 20million on average. There won't be that kind of rise again, we already have CGI level cutscenes, voice acting all over, decent sized worlds, full body motion capture, reasonable detailed characters/environments...

The WiiU will be outclassed by tablets in a year or twos time, the consoles will look absolutely pathetic in the 2-3 year times when you have tablets running games that look better, while we are still playing 360 games. Similar to how the Wii was pretty much playing Gamecube games the entire gen. Nothing on the Wii had any type of step up that it couldn't be done in the PS2 gen.

The PS4 and 720 will be pretty large increases devs like Epic and Square Enix aren't working on new engines just for comedy value, they fully expect to utilise them.

Anything Square is working on will likely be comedy, they haven't been relevant since early ps2 years. Epic on the other hand, what else have they done besides Gears of War? I know they had a hand in Shadow Complex, and Infinity Blade, I don't think any of these were awesome graphically
#207 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2922 posts) -
[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] I know for years dev, console makers everyone has been complaining about this gen costing so much $, so they expect the console makers to these uber powerful systems and put themselves more and the red? Not Gonna happenillmatic8582

The WiiU will be outclassed by tablets in a year or twos time, the consoles will look absolutely pathetic in the 2-3 year times when you have tablets running games that look better, while we are still playing 360 games. Similar to how the Wii was pretty much playing Gamecube games the entire gen. Nothing on the Wii had any type of step up that it couldn't be done in the PS2 gen.

Anything Square is working on will likely be comedy, they haven't been relevant since early ps2 years. Epic on the other hand, what else have they done besides Gears of War? I know they had a hand in Shadow Complex, and Infinity Blade, I don't think any of these were awesome graphically

Unreal Engine 3, pretty much the main engine used this gen by a lot of games. Epic themselves from a gaming point of view will maybe move onto something new, unless they stick with Gears, which I hope they don't. Gears is great but a new IP on that level for next gen would be a welcome addition.
#208 Posted by Blackbond (24505 posts) -

I don't see graphics getting that better (of course I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it)illmatic8582

Well it can. Play on a PC

#209 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

I never eally seen a high end pc maxed out, I have an older macbook pro lol. I only know what I know through the 360,ps3 and wii u. How much better is a PC tech wise? Better to the point if I see one in action, would I/you want one right away? sort of like seeing an Xbox 360 in HD for the 1st time when gaming on a ps2? People make it sound like the improvement is night and day.

#210 Posted by emgesp (2372 posts) -
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.illmatic8582

Give it time, the system just launched. The only games I have are ZombiU and Mario none of them are better graphically then those games u3 gow3

Dude, it's drawing only 35 watts while playing games. There is no possible way we will see graphics on the Wii U that blow the best looking PS3/360 games out of the water. There will be some very nice looking games on the Wii U, but nothing that looks a generation better than the PS3/360.
#211 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="emgesp"] Nope, not 1 game on the Wii U will blow away Uncharted 3/God of War 3 visuals.

Dude, it's drawing only 35 watts while playing games. There is no possible way we will see graphics on the Wii U that blow the best looking PS3/360 games out of the water. There will be some very nice looking games on the Wii U, but nothing that looks a generation better than the PS3/360.

I feel like I need an associate degree in hardware engineering to understand all this. Maybe I should just wait to see all systems at e3 before making conclusions.
#212 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Because the Wiiu is barely better than 7 year old consoles now. Heil68
/thread

#213 Posted by DataUsageLimit (105 posts) -
Let's look at the data: 1.The Wii U had a slow start. 2.Despite selling almost 2 million or so, its software sales are horrendous. 3.Nintendo promised to not have a lot of focus on casuals only, they lied when we saw E3, and they lied now. Consumer trust is gone. 4.The slow CPU of the Wii U will cause many issues for feature rich games, or to make vivd game worlds. 5.Lack of interest by third-party devs, and for a company saying they will try hard to grab them, they certainly have only shown they don't give a crap. 6.It's launch titles don't show an upgrade. 7. For the people that keep saying that they need more time to enhance Wii u graphics, do you not remember when Nintendo said they had been working to show in games like pikmin 3 and such what the Wii U is capable of at full scale? The Wii U graphics now will probably be almost the best it can get, especially with a slow CPu that will make it hard to put in those feature rich games. anything would be better than the Wii U at this moment.
#214 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]I don't see graphics getting that better (of course I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it)Blackbond

Seriously. I play on PC and also have a PS3 in the house that I play on frequently, and it feels like taking a generational step backwards when I go to the PS3 (save for a handful of exceptionally good looking games).

#215 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"]Let's look at the data: 1.The Wii U had a slow start. 2.Despite selling almost 2 million or so, its software sales are horrendous. 3.Nintendo promised to not have a lot of focus on casuals only, they lied when we saw E3, and they lied now. Consumer trust is gone. 4.The slow CPU of the Wii U will cause many issues for feature rich games, or to make vivd game worlds. 5.Lack of interest by third-party devs, and for a company saying they will try hard to grab them, they certainly have only shown they don't give a crap. 6.It's launch titles don't show an upgrade. 7. For the people that keep saying that they need more time to enhance Wii u graphics, do you not remember when Nintendo said they had been working to show in games like pikmin 3 and such what the Wii U is capable of at full scale? The Wii U graphics now will probably be almost the best it can get, especially with a slow CPu that will make it hard to put in those feature rich games. anything would be better than the Wii U at this moment.

1.) I thought the Wii U outsold the ps3 and xbox 360 in the same time frame? 2.) I did not know software sales were available, was eshop sales taken into account? 3.) I think most of the big 3 are focusing on casuals a lot more, not just Nintendo I.e. Kinect at e3 for the past 3 years, PS Move and wonder book. 4.) I really don't know if thats the case, maybe develops can push the envelope in time, but to say it will cause issues in future games I feel is premature at this point. 5.) Very true, but we'll see what happens in the future, if 3rd party devs change their tune. 6.) agreed, there was not that graphics jump I noticed from the ps2 to xbox 360. 7.) I honestly don't remember that
#216 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]I don't see graphics getting that better (of course I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it)the_bi99man

Seriously. I play on PC and also have a PS3 in the house that I play on frequently, and it feels like taking a generational step backwards when I go to the PS3 (save for a handful of exceptionally good looking games).

The more I hear about PC, the more interest I have in the Steambox.
#217 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

Since so many xbox players care about tech, why not just go with the Steambox? It's not like Microsoft has any compelling first party software

#218 Posted by DataUsageLimit (105 posts) -
[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"]Let's look at the data: 1.The Wii U had a slow start. 2.Despite selling almost 2 million or so, its software sales are horrendous. 3.Nintendo promised to not have a lot of focus on casuals only, they lied when we saw E3, and they lied now. Consumer trust is gone. 4.The slow CPU of the Wii U will cause many issues for feature rich games, or to make vivd game worlds. 5.Lack of interest by third-party devs, and for a company saying they will try hard to grab them, they certainly have only shown they don't give a crap. 6.It's launch titles don't show an upgrade. 7. For the people that keep saying that they need more time to enhance Wii u graphics, do you not remember when Nintendo said they had been working to show in games like pikmin 3 and such what the Wii U is capable of at full scale? The Wii U graphics now will probably be almost the best it can get, especially with a slow CPu that will make it hard to put in those feature rich games. anything would be better than the Wii U at this moment.

1.) I thought the Wii U outsold the ps3 and xbox 360 in the same time frame? 2.) I did not know software sales were available, was eshop sales taken into account? 3.) I think most of the big 3 are focusing on casuals a lot more, not just Nintendo I.e. Kinect at e3 for the past 3 years, PS Move and wonder book. 4.) I really don't know if thats the case, maybe develops can push the envelope in time, but to say it will cause issues in future games I feel is premature at this point. 5.) Very true, but we'll see what happens in the future, if 3rd party devs change their tune. 6.) agreed, there was not that graphics jump I noticed from the ps2 to xbox 360. 7.) I honestly don't remember that

1) the scores and the software sales contribute to it's slow start. 2)tHEY EVEN ANNOUNCED THAT NSMBU sold like nearly half the software sales. 3)You missed the point completely read again. 4)It will become a large problem since pushing the envelope requires high CPu usage even with graphics. 5)They did change their tune. Many third-party devs announced games for the Wii U and now half of them are ignoring it. 6)You mean Xbox to Xbox 360, a pile of dung looks better than the PS2. 7.Hmm, where have you been?
#219 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Nintendo's stregnth recently has not been in hardware and raw power but novel ways of playing games. PlayStation and Xbox's appeal are powerful games and the latter having decent online. It's a fair assumption to think both PS4 and Nextbox will be more powerful

#220 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

So who you guys think will win at the Royal Rumble, The Rock or CM Punk? Part of me says the great one will triumph, but then again Punk is the best in the world. Discuss.

#221 Posted by Sphensen (784 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"]Let's look at the data: 1.The Wii U had a slow start. 2.Despite selling almost 2 million or so, its software sales are horrendous. 3.Nintendo promised to not have a lot of focus on casuals only, they lied when we saw E3, and they lied now. Consumer trust is gone. 4.The slow CPU of the Wii U will cause many issues for feature rich games, or to make vivd game worlds. 5.Lack of interest by third-party devs, and for a company saying they will try hard to grab them, they certainly have only shown they don't give a crap. 6.It's launch titles don't show an upgrade. 7. For the people that keep saying that they need more time to enhance Wii u graphics, do you not remember when Nintendo said they had been working to show in games like pikmin 3 and such what the Wii U is capable of at full scale? The Wii U graphics now will probably be almost the best it can get, especially with a slow CPu that will make it hard to put in those feature rich games. anything would be better than the Wii U at this moment.DataUsageLimit

1) the scores and the software sales contribute to it's slow start. 2)tHEY EVEN ANNOUNCED THAT NSMBU sold like nearly half the software sales. 3)You missed the point completely read again. 4)It will become a large problem since pushing the envelope requires high CPu usage even with graphics. 5)They did change their tune. Many third-party devs announced games for the Wii U and now half of them are ignoring it. 6)You mean Xbox to Xbox 360, a pile of dung looks better than the PS2. 7.Hmm, where have you been?

the wii U cpu may have a slower clock speed but it's capable of doing out of order operations, making it run more efficiently than ps3/360 cpus, plus third parties aren't rushing to port over because there's not alot of return for them considering the wii U is fresh out the gate and not to many are in the hands of consumers

#222 Posted by Selkc (203 posts) -

apparently its just 20% better than wii u

#223 Posted by emgesp (2372 posts) -

These rumored specs seem pretty likely and if true would blow the Wii U out of the water.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507325

#224 Posted by Peredith (2310 posts) -

Because the WiiU is weaker than the Xbox 360 and PS3 :?

#225 Posted by Senor_Kami (8437 posts) -
WiiU is like a 360 with more RAM. Even if the next gen systems had PC graphics circa 2009 they'd blow the WiiU out of the water. Imagine if they have 2013 level technology.
#226 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Because the Wii U is current gen hardware at best. And based off the tech demo that Square showed for the next Xbox, it looks a lot better than anything on the Wii U. Not to mention that there are already next gen games in development for PS4/Next Xbox, but not the Wii U. Why is this? Because the Wii U is too weak.

#227 Posted by emgesp (2372 posts) -

Even though the GPU in the Wii U is technically better than the 360's the fact that the Wii U is capped at around 35 watts is going to prevent that GPU from reaching its full potential. Even with the most efficent design, 35 watts is still very limiting. The best looking Wii U games will not outclass the best looking PS3/360 games, let alone PS4/720 games. Just build a gaming PC that only consumes 35 watts and try playing Crysis 2 max settings in 1080p. Not going to happen.

#228 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -

I think many people will be in a rude awkening when they see footage of PS4/XBOX. I would be shocked if it's much better than the Wii U SHOCKED

illmatic8582
Sorry to say this, but prepare to be shocked!
#229 Posted by genfactor (1462 posts) -

[QUOTE="genfactor"]Because there are people that enjoy comparing Wii U unannounced specs with the imaginary specs of consoles that haven't officially been announced yet.lightleggy

Huh?

that's cool, the wii u has been in the market for about 3 months now, and we still dont know the specs it has? :O

dumbass, check your "facts" before posting them, your post was so idiotic it actually made me triple check the date to see if this was not a 1 year old thread or something.

The facts are Nintendo has NOT announced official specs.
#230 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

[QUOTE="genfactor"]Because there are people that enjoy comparing Wii U unannounced specs with the imaginary specs of consoles that haven't officially been announced yet.genfactor

Huh?

that's cool, the wii u has been in the market for about 3 months now, and we still dont know the specs it has? :O

dumbass, check your "facts" before posting them, your post was so idiotic it actually made me triple check the date to see if this was not a 1 year old thread or something.

The facts are Nintendo has NOT announced official specs.

They dont announce official specs because theyre underwhelming.
#231 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]my guess is that the wiiu games will look a lot better than ps3/360 games soon enough, but it will always be in that ballpark. An xbox-to-ps2 relationship. There is no point for Sony or MS to release a console with that kind of leap.illmatic8582

Theres going to be an 8 year span between the 360 and next box. Thats twice as much time as the span between the original xbox and 360. The nextbox could easily be the same jump as xbox to 360 or even more and still sell at or above cost. Next gen engines are more user friendly. Notice how some of the best looking games this gen like Metro and Witcher 2 had nowhere near the budgets of COD or Halo.