Why does everyone believe the PS4/XBOX will be much better than the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -

Because

1. WiiU has a big screen in the package, which means less money from its price go to graphics hardware

2. xbox 720 is coming a year later

3. xbox 360 was priced at 400$, and now MS has seen that charging 99$ and per month works, so xbox 720 can be any price, even 800$

4. xbox 360 was like 10 billion times stronger than Wii, so MS has shown that goes all out in graphics and this has worked wonders for them so far, taking a vast market that was on Sony side when they did not go for a system that lasts and has amazing hardware

5. Wii came a year AFTER xbox 360 and was weaker, WiiU comes a year BEFORE !!!! xbox 720 and packs a screen, plus its price is just 50$ over Wii

6. All multipltforms so far look best on xbox 360, which means WiiU hardware cant even match 7 years old hardware, which means not only it is the weakest one can find on PC right now, but also has some huge bottlenecks and terrible design

Pick one, any of the above will do

loosingENDS
So everyone believes there will eventually be games that are so powerful that they cannot be ported to Wii U?
#102 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
Why do birds suddenly appear...
#103 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Because

1. WiiU has a big screen in the package, which means less money from its price go to graphics hardware

3. xbox 360 was priced at 400$, and now MS has seen that charging 99$ and per month works, so xbox 720 can be any price, even 800$

4. xbox 360 was like 10 billion times stronger than Wii, so MS has shown that goes all out in graphics and this has worked wonders for them so far, taking a vast market that was on Sony side when they did not go for a system that lasts and has amazing hardware

5. Wii came a year AFTER xbox 360 and was weaker, WiiU comes a year BEFORE !!!! xbox 720 and packs a screen, plus its price is just 50$ over Wii

6. All multipltforms so far look best on xbox 360, which means WiiU hardware cant even match 7 years old hardware, which means not only it is the weakest one can find on PC right now, but also has some huge bottlenecks and terrible design

illmatic8582

So everyone believes there will eventually be games that are so powerful that they cannot be ported to Wii U?

It is not a matter of believing it or not, it is a hard fact that there are announced games that go leaps beyond anything, like Star Wars 1313, FF 15 Agnes, Witcher 3, Watchdogs etc, all announced for the true next gen systems and none for WiiU

None of those will run on WiiU/PS3/360 level of hardware at all. WiiU is not even in 360 level, how could it run games designed for GTX680 class of GPUs ?

#104 Posted by brofists (2185 posts) -
Absolutely they will. Current consoles are alredy up to par with the Wii U As a matter of fact, I have not seen one Wii U game that looks as good as just even an average looking PS3 exclusive does I have been thinking about getting a Wii U, but I havent due to how poor most of the launch games were. They didnt look visually impressive at all either which was a bummer Its obvious, the Wii U seems to be a very weak console.Just has a lot of ram.
#105 Posted by MonsieurX (29708 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Because

loosingENDS

It is not a matter of believing it or not, it is a hard fact that there are announced games that go leaps beyond anything, like Star Wars 1313, FF 15 Agnes, Witcher 3, Watchdogs etc, all announced for the true next gen systems and none for WiiU

None of those will run on WiiU/PS3/360 level of hardware at all. WiiU is not even in 360 level, how could it run games designed for GTX680 class of GPUs ?

lol 360 is stronger than Wii U? Look at hardware :lol:
#106 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -

Because

loosingENDS

I can't see that happening...
#107 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

It is not that the PS4 will be powerful... It is that the Wii U's hardware is such **** that even the PS4 will outclass it by a large margin. Of course 720 will obliterate both as Sony is near broke and can not afford to take on Microsoft.Lightning_fan

Sony can leverage from earlier AMD+MS funded development i.e. the reverse of IBM+Sony PPE based development scenario. IBM+Sony funds PPE based development and then MS leverage the earlier PPE development.

You can understand why Sony employees in the joint IBM's R&D feeling abit negative(1). For MS, it's business as ussual i.e. it's like any other joint AMD+MS R&D that ends up in PC OEM/ODM.

1. Read Dave Shippy's http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132297/processing_the_truth_an_interview_.php?page=2

It really sort of changed the whole dynamic of the design center," Shippy recalls. "I had Sony and Toshiba engineers working side by side on this project as part of my team, and when this whole Xbox thing came in, there were certainly a lot of guys -- even on my team -- that were fairly upset about it."

He added: "The initial reaction was it sort of felt like a betrayal -- 'Hey, we've been designing this really cool Cell chip, and now you want us to do this Xbox 360 thing on the same timeframe? Seems like we're aiding a competitor here.' At that time, only the IBM engineers knew about it. They struggled with betraying their partners -- and that was my initial reaction, too."

But with two major products now on the to-do list, Shippy says there was no time for moping. "I had to get over it pretty quick. While I was upset about it, I had to put on my PS3 hat or my Xbox 360 hat and basically just tell my team, 'Hey guys, this is no different than when Intel and AMD create a microprocessor and it goes into a Dell PC and an HP PC. Just get over it, and let's move on."

#108 Posted by Cranler (8797 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

The Witcher 2's pc graphics wow me everytime I play. Next gen consoles should be able to at least run that level of graphics. Also keep in mind a gtx460 can run modded Crysis. We're talking about a mod thats not well optimized for a game thats considered to not be well optimized for pc which doesnt get as much optimization as a console game. By the time the next gen consoles come out the 460 will be almost 4 years old. The 460 wasnt even top of the line when it released. Surely the consoles gpu's will at least match the power of the 460.

the_bi99man

You'd think so...

A console with a gpu as powerful as the gtx 460 releasing in 2013 would be the equivalent of the 360 launching in 2008.
#109 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

The Witcher 2's pc graphics wow me everytime I play. Next gen consoles should be able to at least run that level of graphics. Also keep in mind a gtx460 can run modded Crysis. We're talking about a mod thats not well optimized for a game thats considered to not be well optimized for pc which doesnt get as much optimization as a console game. By the time the next gen consoles come out the 460 will be almost 4 years old. The 460 wasnt even top of the line when it released. Surely the consoles gpu's will at least match the power of the 460.

Cranler

You'd think so...

A console with a gpu as powerful as the gtx 460 releasing in 2013 would be the equivalent of the 360 launching in 2008.

You guys throw out numbers like we are all or you are all hardware engineers. Does anyone know what this stuff even means lol. I just want to play the games..
#110 Posted by Wasdie (49652 posts) -

The WiiU is a very underwhelming console. Even the Wii had more stuff to offer. I think a lot of console gamers are ready for something that feels next-gen and the WiiU certainly isn't that. It's just a 7th gen console with a fancy controller.

Most gamers are going to be very excited when they finally get to see what CoD looks like running on something more modern. You'll see a lot of buzz generated by CoD and Madden as they are going to look quite a bit better than last gen.

Of course there is no guarantee that Sony and Microsoft are going to put enough hardware in their new consoles to actually make games that much better. Even more-so, game devs are going to have to pull out some pretty impressive things if they want their games to look "next-gen" compared to this gen. The worst thing they could do is lie to us all and show CGI crap and call it "next-gen" only to not come close to delivering (Sony and EA did that badly last gen).

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that the PS4 and Next Xbox are going to be more powerful than the WiiU.

#111 Posted by Cranler (8797 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

You'd think so...

illmatic8582

You guys throw out numbers like we are all or you are all hardware engineers. Does anyone know what this stuff even means lol. I just want to play the games..

Youre in System Wars, systems are made with hardware. What a gpu is should be common knowlege on any gaming hardware forum.
#112 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] So everyone believes there will eventually be games that are so powerful that they cannot be ported to Wii U?illmatic8582

Well, it is happening, 100% and right now

If you can see it or not is another matter, i understand that brand loyatly can create a haze

#113 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

Absolutely they will. Current consoles are alredy up to par with the Wii U As a matter of fact, I have not seen one Wii U game that looks as good as just even an average looking PS3 exclusive does I have been thinking about getting a Wii U, but I havent due to how poor most of the launch games were. They didnt look visually impressive at all either which was a bummer Its obvious, the Wii U seems to be a very weak console.Just has a lot of ram. brofists

Which is both slow and half is taken by the huge unoptimized OS

#114 Posted by MonsieurX (29708 posts) -

loosingENDS

If you can see it or not is another matter, i understand that brand loyatly can create a haze

So much for brand loyalty :lol:
#115 Posted by tubbyc (3689 posts) -

Personally, I expect a new console at the end of 2013 to be more impressive than a console which is not much more capable than hardware from 2005 with a screen on the controller as its selling point.

#116 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] I can't see that happening...MonsieurX

So much for brand loyalty :lol:

I'm loyal to whatever entertains the best
#117 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

You'd think so...

illmatic8582

Some PC hermits (rookies/newbie, amateurs, novice, semi-professionals, professionals) are into hardware and software.

#118 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

Because

loosingENDS
1. The next xbox is strongly rumoured to have an inbuilt kinnect. Thats even more expensive on the system in both performance usage and price. 2. The playstation 3 came out a year later. All that prooved was that it didnt have a brick for a PSU, and had inbuilt wifi. 3. Where did you even get that from? 4. Microsoft actually found out that, one yes you need to have decent graphics capabilities (pressure from developers) but you need to be easy to develop on.... (look at the start PS3 had) 5. Refer to point one and point 2. Also you are forgetting that the wii was far more succesful than both PS3 and 360 in the department that these companies only care about; SALES. 6. Why spend extra money on improving a game for the wiiU when the console isnt selling well for the needs of these mulitplats. Also it wouldnt supprise me if microsoft or sony have somebodies balls in a vice making sure that their console version is supperior.
#119 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -
Honestly gamespot, fix your lame text thing. Breaks my paragraphs ever time.
#120 Posted by emgesp (2104 posts) -

Because the Wii U isn't a full generation better in hardware. Xbox 720/PS4 will be a full generation better than current gen consoles. Has Sony ever released a console that wasn't a full leap over past consoles? Even the Vita is a full leap in hardware over the PSP. Microsoft has no reason to release a Wii U 1.5.

#121 Posted by emgesp (2104 posts) -
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]Because it would be hard not to be. As others have said, WiiU competes with PS3 and 360 for power. It has a bit of an edge I think, but barely. MS and Sony would have to pump out a pretty gimped console to not beat WiiU in power by a fair amount.illmatic8582
Agreed, but the PS2 was much weaker than the Gamecube and Xbox, yet bc of user install base games were made for the PS2 and ported to the others. Although the new XBOX and PS4 will be more powerful than the Wii U, will it be powerful to the point that games cannot be ported amongst the three systems? I doubt it...

PS2 was weaker than Gamecube, but at least it was a true generation better than the original PS1. The Wii U is only a generational better than the original Wii, not the 360/PS3.
#122 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -

How would people react if PS4/XBOX was only marginally better than the PS3/XBOX but still graphically better than the Wii U? And all multiplatform games looked more or less the same on each?

#123 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

How would people react if PS4/XBOX was only marginally better than the PS3/XBOX but still graphically better than the Wii U? And all multiplatform games looked more or less the same on each?

illmatic8582

They would just go with PC, not WiiU for sure

But that is silly, since if that happens we wont really have a next gen at all, since everything will look underwhelming comparing to what has been shown as next gen games in Star Wars 1313 and FF Agnes

#124 Posted by MonsieurX (29708 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]

loosingENDS

They would just go with PC, not WiiU for sure

But that is silly, since if that happens we wont really have a next gen at all, since everything will look underwhelming comparing to what has been shown as next gen games in Star Wars 1313 and FF Agnes

Exclusives,as it was with the Wii.
#125 Posted by emgesp (2104 posts) -

illmatic8582

I will say this. I am stricly a console gamer, but if the PS4/720 have hardware just a little better than the Wii U then I'm switching to PC gaming. No way am I going to fork over $400 for a console only marginally better than 8 yr old hardware. What the hell would be the point in releasing new hardware if it's only marginally better than current gen hardware? Sony/Microsoft should just stick with the PS3/360 if their next-gen consoles will only be marginally better.

#126 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Because the engine runs on unicorn blood.

#127 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

Because the engine runs on unicorn blood.

Emerald_Warrior
Woah, never thought you venture out of the Legacy Platforms board.
#128 Posted by PAL360 (26747 posts) -

illmatic8582

Very disappointed, at first! Then i would have to adapt. 360 and PS3 are almost a decade old, and some games still blow my mind (Red Dead Redemption, Halo 4, Uncharted 3, Forza Horizon, etc).

#129 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -
People have mentioned kinect 2.0 might be in every Xbox, that will take money away from the hardware as much as the wii u's game pad, what if that is the case? I don't see many people going to pc.
#130 Posted by percuvius2 (1982 posts) -

topic

illmatic8582

They don't believe it, they know it. Big difference.

#131 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
Because they keep making under powered hardware. When I saw 3ds I knew nothing had changed.
#132 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22432 posts) -

Because they keep making under powered hardware. When I saw 3ds I knew nothing had changed.p4s2p0
the 3DS is plenty poweful enough for a handheld.

#133 Posted by Lightning_fan (282 posts) -

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]Because they keep making under powered hardware. When I saw 3ds I knew nothing had changed.Shinobishyguy

No it is not. I know you may claim the Vita is some high tech device but it really is not. The Vita upon release had comparable graphics to smart phones... It was not some high tech machine. The 3DS is just such **** in terms of hardware that it makes the Vita look amazing.
#134 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]Because they keep making under powered hardware. When I saw 3ds I knew nothing had changed.Lightning_fan

No it is not. I know you may claim the Vita is some high tech device but it really is not. The Vita upon release had comparable graphics to smart phones... It was not some high tech machine. The 3DS is just such **** in terms of hardware that it makes the Vita look amazing.

You might be placing too much value on tech when handheld gamers mostly care about quick fun. Which is why game boy beat the superior game gear, ds pap 3ds vita etc
#135 Posted by SecretPolice (21545 posts) -

Very simply deduced mah dear Watson; 360 launched in 2005 with Kameo....

Kameo image

One year later in 2006, Wii launched with Wii Sports...

Wii Sports image

Wii U just launched with games barely matching Kameo :o You can bet your left nu... erm arm that MS, with 8 years to dev new HW will most certainly be way, way beyond Wii U. :cool:

Any more questions? :P

#136 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lightning_fan"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]the 3DS is plenty poweful enough for a handheld.illmatic8582

You might be placing too much value on tech when handheld gamers mostly care about quick fun.

Or that there are people that don't' place enough value on tech. I use my portable for more than quick fun so that might be why my expectations are different.
#138 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="Lightning_fan"] No it is not. I know you may claim the Vita is some high tech device but it really is not. The Vita upon release had comparable graphics to smart phones... It was not some high tech machine. The 3DS is just such **** in terms of hardware that it makes the Vita look amazing.

You might be placing too much value on tech when handheld gamers mostly care about quick fun.

Or that there are people that don't' place enough value on tech. I use my portable for more than quick fun so that might be why my expectations are different.

When I had a portable, I use it for just games, iPhone for everything else.
#139 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]Because they keep making under powered hardware. When I saw 3ds I knew nothing had changed.Shinobishyguy

I'm sure people felt that way about ds as well But not for the types of games I play.
#140 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2871 posts) -

Because the Wiiu is barely better than 7 year old consoles now. Heil68

This, even the controller that the console is built around is a pile of ****. At least iPad that mofo, not some leappad level technology.

Pic related a kid holding up his WiiU controller.

123420_L.jpg

#141 Posted by Tessellation (8798 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]

topic

fr3ddiemercury

Because the 360, ps3 were much better than the Wii?

that's completely false and is based on your personal views,2 gens ago i had more fun with my gamecube than ps2 or xbox which were the most ''popular systems'' in that time.

#142 Posted by Malta_1980 (11215 posts) -

Till now we only heard rumors so all i can is hope PS4/NextXbox wont be worse than WiiU...

#143 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"] You might be placing too much value on tech when handheld gamers mostly care about quick fun.

When I had a portable, I use it for just games, iPhone for everything else.

I mostly game on my vita but I also use it for videos too since it has a bigger screen than most phones. I also listen to music or party chat sometimes while gaming.
#144 Posted by tenaka2 (17026 posts) -

The nextbox will be all about kinect, not sure about the ps4

#145 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -

The nextbox will be all about kinect, not sure about the ps3

tenaka2
XBOX has been all about the Kinect for about 2-3 years, why does everyone think they will just drop it and focus on hardcore games? Sounds like wishful thinking to me
#146 Posted by tenaka2 (17026 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

The nextbox will be all about kinect, not sure about the ps3

illmatic8582

XBOX has been all about the Kinect for about 2-3 years, why does everyone think they will just drop it and focus on hardcore games? Sounds like wishful thinking to me

Core games cost too much to develop and the sales are poor, MS are after the wii crowd, its all about family focus and media centre stuff.

#147 Posted by illmatic8582 (673 posts) -

I think the "hardcore" gamers might go on and try out the Steambox possibly

#148 Posted by emgesp (2104 posts) -

Tablets are more powerful than the 3DS.
#149 Posted by emgesp (2104 posts) -

The nextbox will be all about kinect, not sure about the ps4

tenaka2

Here's the problem. The games that actually sold well on the 360 were core games. Not 1 Kinect game outsold Halo, Gears, or COD. Kinect Adventures doesn't count because it came bundled in with every Kinect. The best selling Kinect game is Kinect Sports at 5 million units sold worldwide. Casuals aren't going to embrace the 720+Kinect like they did with the original Wii. Casuals don't spend $400+ on a console. Casuals spend $400 on IPADs because they are portable all-in-one devices. The 720 with Kinect would need to be priced at $299 max to get that Wii like success.

#150 Posted by Slimmin360 (1463 posts) -
Because the Wiiu is barely better than 7 year old consoles now. Heil68
Ahh YES but then again so was the Wii and it dominated sales over both PS3 and 360 the first 3 years on the market. Also don't forget the Wii-U will be out nearly a year or more when M$ and Sony release there next consoles, so Wii-U hardware will be much cheaper than the other two, and there will be a much larger selection of Wii-U games than PS4 and 720 games. So you never know.