Why does everyone believe the PS4/XBOX will be much better than the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

You got your WiiU back yet? And how about your NBA 2k13, doucheface?

#52 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

WiiU is gimp, barely as strong as current gen.

PS4/720 must be more powerful, otherwise customers will not be satisfied.

ZombieKiller7
And what happens if customers aren't satisfied? Your still going to buy one of the systems, yes?
#53 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

the_bi99man
lol nice
#54 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

illmatic8582
lol nice

the_bi99man
All the systems disappoint in one way or another. Xbox with no exclusive and live, ps3 with their lies, and nintendo thinking it 1985. A part of me would love to see the steambox succeed
#55 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

illmatic8582

lol nice

Thank you.:P

#56 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

illmatic8582

And what happens if customers aren't satisfied? Your still going to buy one of the systems, yes?

Well if the 720/PS4 is barely a notch above current, I wouldn't buy it.

Or at best if I really want a particular game I might buy it for just that game, it wouldn't be my general-use system to socialize and stuff.

#57 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

All the systems disappoint in one way or another. Xbox with no exclusive and live, ps3 with their lies, and nintendo thinking it 1985. A part of me would love to see the steambox succeedillmatic8582

lol I feel that but what's wrong with the PS3?

#58 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

ZombieKiller7

Or at best if I really want a particular game I might buy it for just that game, it wouldn't be my general-use system to socialize and stuff.

I'm in that boat too. I don't plan on getting any of them but if their is a game that is really awesome, revolutionary, etc I would get it. Talk all you want but as stupid as it sounds I haven't have fun playing any games this year except ZombiU even with its awful reviews
#59 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] And what happens if customers aren't satisfied? Your still going to buy one of the systems, yes?illmatic8582

I'm in that boat too. I don't plan on getting any of them but if their is a game that is really awesome, revolutionary, etc I would get it. Talk all you want but as stupid as it sounds I haven't have fun playing any games this year except ZombiU even with its awful reviews

If you like it just use it.

System wars is buyers remorse writ large, not a logical comparison, because in games there is no such thing as a logical comparison, how can you say X is more fun than Y.

It's all personal and the rest is bullschit forum whoring.

I'm the guy that loved MAG and played it for a year lol

#60 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

ZombieKiller7

If you like it just use it.

System wars is buyers remorse writ large, not a logical comparison, because in games there is no such thing as a logical comparison, how can you say X is more fun than Y.

It's all personal and the rest is bullschit forum whoring.

I'm the guy that loved MAG and played it for a year lol

haha very true, well said
#61 Posted by silversix_ (15015 posts) -
Because MS or Sony never released a weak system for its time. Nintendo has WiiU, Wii, 3DS, DS. Who wins?
#62 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
Because MS or Sony never released a weak system for its time. Nintendo has WiiU, Wii, 3DS, DS. Who wins?silversix_
and all three system were much more successful than their counterparts. Except Wii, Wii U is too early to judge
#63 Posted by osirisx3 (1894 posts) -

wii u has a 6760! that kills ps3

#64 Posted by genfactor (1462 posts) -
Because there are people that enjoy comparing Wii U unannounced specs with the imaginary specs of consoles that haven't officially been announced yet.
#65 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
Because there are people that enjoy comparing Wii U unannounced specs with the imaginary specs of consoles that haven't officially been announced yet.genfactor
Mind blown
#66 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
because sony make better consoles than nintendo? because sony/ms are not tight like nintendo? history?
#67 Posted by mariokart64fan (19554 posts) -

what games does the vita have that the xbox360 wiiu ps3 3ds wii and ds and psp do not have that isnt boring ot they will not be much more powerful

#68 Posted by silversix_ (15015 posts) -

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Because MS or Sony never released a weak system for its time. Nintendo has WiiU, Wii, 3DS, DS. Who wins?illmatic8582
and all three system were much more successful than their counterparts. Except Wii, Wii U is too early to judge

DS beeing better than psp isn't saying much i'm not even sure why psp survived for longer than 1y. 3DS is way worst than vita but vita has nothing to play at (not to say 3DS has more more games to keep you busy for more than couple of days...). WiiU? Common logic, the thing is,,,,,, i don't know for whom this thing was made for. PS1=powerful but outmatched by N64 (still isn't a gen behind like the wiiu is). Ps2 powerful. xbox powerful. When ps3 and 360 will be discontinued, its to a handheld we will be comparing it :lol:

#69 Posted by arkephonic (6469 posts) -

Here's exactly why.

For Sony and Microsoft, video games are just a part of what they do. They are bigger companies so they can afford to sell their hardware at a loss and push the specs further while still having a competitive price. Nintendo on the other hand is a smaller company that can't afford to sell at a loss. They have to sell their hardware at a profit or at least break even. Nintendo basically can't afford to release a system that isn't a full generation behind in terms of hardware.

#70 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

Here's exactly why.

For Sony and Microsoft, video games are just a part of what they do. They are bigger companies so they can afford to sell their hardware at a loss and push the specs further while still having a competitive price. Nintendo on the other hand is a smaller company that can't afford to sell at a loss. They have to sell their hardware at a profit or at least break even. Nintendo basically can't afford to release a system that isn't a full generation behind in terms of hardware.

arkephonic
That makes a lot of sense, but surely these companies see that Nintendo releases there consoles and never lose money, meanwhile they are both losing millions. Eventually they are going to start to try and save money, right?
#71 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

*Better* Better in terms of what exactly ? Better hardware wise ? hell yes they will be, they don't have a tablet costing *half*(Pulled the percentage out of my ass) their whole system.

#72 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

*Better* Better in terms of what exactly ? Better hardware wise ? hell yes they will be, they don't have a tablet costing *half*(Pulled the percentage out of my ass) their whole system.

Blake135
Tablet controller is a game changer, just saying
#73 Posted by christiankhs-2 (148 posts) -
Because the Wii U isnt even better than current gen consoles. Imo
#74 Posted by arkephonic (6469 posts) -

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

Here's exactly why.

illmatic8582

That makes a lot of sense, but surely these companies see that Nintendo releases there consoles and never lose money, meanwhile they are both losing millions. Eventually they are going to start to try and save money, right?

I don't think Sony or Microsoft are confident that they can get by on gimmicks and 1st party charm alone. I don't think they could either. Nintendo is a household name with products that families trust buying for their children, both for the reliability and child friendly software library. Those aren't things associated with Microsoft and Sony at first glance. Sure, they have stuff like that, but that's not what they're known for.

This right here paints a clear picture on the differences between Nintendo and Sony / Microsoft. Nintendo knows they can get by doing the absolute bare minimum and they'll get rewarded for it just because of their name brands like Mario, Zelda and Metroid. That's all they need. They don't need good hardware, other software, online, anything. All they need is their 1st party. Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft actually care about gaming. They are designing their systems with Unreal 4 engine in mind, you know, the future, the engine standard that games will run on for the next 10+ years. They are conscious of the PC, and want their system to be able to play PC games. Sony and Microsoft offer cheap alternatives to PC gaming while also offering a vast library of software that covers basically everything. Nintendo crap doesn't run Unreal 4, it doesn't have 3rd party, it's not future proof. All it has is Mario, Zelda and Metroid. Is that good enough for me? Yes, but I still need a PC and a Sony or MS console to satisfy myself.

#75 Posted by arkephonic (6469 posts) -

Blake135

Actually, the tablet is sold separately for $200. That leaves a measly $100 for the console itself. Word has it that Nintendo isn't losing money on systems sold, they're either making a profit or breaking even. It's pretty self explanatory as to why the console specs are garbage.

#76 Posted by ronvalencia (15182 posts) -

osirisx3
Radeon HD 7550 i.e. same GPU as E6760 with gimped 64bit wide VRAM.
#77 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="arkephonic"]

Here's exactly why.

arkephonic

I don't think Sony or Microsoft are confident that they can get by on gimmicks and 1st party charm alone. I don't think they could either. Nintendo is a household name with products that families trust buying for their children, both for the reliability and child friendly software library. Those aren't things associated with Microsoft and Sony at first glance. Sure, they have stuff like that, but that's not what they're known for.

This right here paints a clear picture on the differences between Nintendo and Sony / Microsoft. Nintendo knows they can get by doing the absolute bare minimum and they'll get rewarded for it just because of their name brands like Mario, Zelda and Metroid. That's all they need. They don't need good hardware, other software, online, anything. All they need is their 1st party. Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft actually care about gaming. They are designing their systems with Unreal 4 engine in mind, you know, the future, the engine standard that games will run on for the next 10+ years. They are conscious of the PC, and want their system to be able to play PC games. Sony and Microsoft offer cheap alternatives to PC gaming while also offering a vast library of software that covers basically everything. Nintendo crap doesn't run Unreal 4, it doesn't have 3rd party, it's not future proof. All it has is Mario, Zelda and Metroid. Is that good enough for me? Yes, but I still need a PC and a Sony or MS console to satisfy myself.

you lost me at Sony/Microsoft care about gaming. I know each company cares about money above all else, but more so with Sony and Microsoft in my opinion I could be wrong. With rumors of ways to block used game sales, Live nickle and diming customers, and Sony with their overpriced B.S., they don't sound like they like gamers at all, sounds like they want to exploit us and make a profit
#78 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

arkephonic

Actually, the tablet is sold separately for $200. That leaves a measly $100 for the console itself. Word has it that Nintendo isn't losing money on systems sold, they're either making a profit or breaking even. It's pretty self explanatory as to why the console specs are garbage.

That isn't really a "tablet" screen, it s a large ds screen that works so I doubt it cost $200. But again I could be completely wrong
#79 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

ronvalencia
Radeon HD 7550 i.e. same GPU as E6760 with gimped 64bit wide VRAM.

just stop lol
#80 Posted by arkephonic (6469 posts) -

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] That makes a lot of sense, but surely these companies see that Nintendo releases there consoles and never lose money, meanwhile they are both losing millions. Eventually they are going to start to try and save money, right?illmatic8582

you lost me at Sony/Microsoft care about gaming. I know each company cares about money above all else, but more so with Sony and Microsoft in my opinion I could be wrong. With rumors of ways to block used game sales, Live nickle and diming customers, and Sony with their overpriced B.S., they don't sound like they like gamers at all, sounds like they want to exploit us and make a profit

I just think that it's stupid to ignore the PC. Nintendo is IGNORING THE INDUSTRY! Wii U cannot use Unreal Engine 4. Wii U will not be able to play the biggest games released for the next 10 years. The Wii U was literally dead on arrival, it's not even equipped to be good enough for right now. Microsoft and Sony are designing their systems to not only play 1st party games like Nintendo offers, but they'll also offer all 3rd party games, along with Unreal Engine 4 support which will keep them relevant for the next 10 years.

I say Nintendo doesn't care about gaming loosely. They just care about their games, their franchises, their 1st party. They have horrible relationships with 3rd parties, and just don't care about anyone but themselves. They're basically in their own little world. Sony and Microsoft are totally conscious of the PC, and offer consoles that are cheap alternatives to PC gaming. It's not even arguable, Sony and Microsoft offer insurmountable amounts of more options than Nintendo, and are the real options for any gamer out there who actually wants to experience what the industry has to offer.

#81 Posted by arkephonic (6469 posts) -

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

illmatic8582

That isn't really a "tablet" screen, it s a large ds screen that works so I doubt it cost $200. But again I could be completely wrong

The screen is pretty damn high resolution, way higher than a ds or 3ds. I can even read extremely small text in games and pull off 100 meter headshots in CoD like nothing. It really wouldn't surprise me if the tablet cost more than the console.

#82 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -
[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Because PS4 and Xbox 3 are supposed to be significantly more powerful than PS3 and 360, which are just slightly weaker than WiiU. Let's not forget that, unlike Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles are known for their massive third party support. Seems logical

illmatic8582
If we are going by logic, the Vita should outsell the 3DS because it is superior in every way. I know I have them both, but one is failing miserably. Let's not forget about how much money both companies lost. Do you think they will be that quick to release a console that will set them back financially?

Apples and oranges here, one is a handheld, the other one is a home console.
#83 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Cause the WiiU can't compete with 32GB of Ram and Quad GPU's.illmatic8582
I'm not a developer, nor are most people on this website, stop throwing numbers and jargon at me lol

He isn't just throwing "jargon", he is throwing bs. the 720/ps4 wont have "32 gb of ram and quad GPU's", unless they cost over 800 dollars.
#84 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="arkephonic"]

arkephonic

The screen is pretty damn high resolution, way higher than a ds or 3ds. I can even read extremely small text in games and pull off 100 meter headshots in CoD like nothing. It really wouldn't surprise me if the tablet cost more than the console.

It's still a resistive touch screen.
#85 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

Because there are people that enjoy comparing Wii U unannounced specs with the imaginary specs of consoles that haven't officially been announced yet.genfactor

Huh?

that's cool, the wii u has been in the market for about 3 months now, and we still dont know the specs it has? :O

dumbass, check your "facts" before posting them, your post was so idiotic it actually made me triple check the date to see if this was not a 1 year old thread or something.

#86 Posted by Lightning_fan (282 posts) -
It is not that the PS4 will be powerful... It is that the Wii U's hardware is such **** that even the PS4 will outclass it by a large margin. Of course 720 will obliterate both as Sony is near broke and can not afford to take on Microsoft.
#87 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="illmatic8582"] you lost me at Sony/Microsoft care about gaming. I know each company cares about money above all else, but more so with Sony and Microsoft in my opinion I could be wrong. With rumors of ways to block used game sales, Live nickle and diming customers, and Sony with their overpriced B.S., they don't sound like they like gamers at all, sounds like they want to exploit us and make a profit

You think Nintendo cares less about money than Sony and Microsoft? Are you talking about price fixing Nintendo? Or are you talking about "you can't release a game within the time frame of our release cause we don't want competition for our games" Nintendo.
#88 Posted by Lightning_fan (282 posts) -

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Because PS4 and Xbox 3 are supposed to be significantly more powerful than PS3 and 360, which are just slightly weaker than WiiU. Let's not forget that, unlike Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles are known for their massive third party support. Seems logical

illmatic8582

If we are going by logic, the Vita should outsell the 3DS because it is superior in every way. I know I have them both, but one is failing miserably. Let's not forget about how much money both companies lost. Do you think they will be that quick to release a console that will set them back financially?

Its not even that the Vita is that powerful it is that Nintendo made such **** hardware included in the 3DS.

Some current phones have more power than the Vita lol.

#89 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blake135"]

illmatic8582

tablet controller, for most hardcore gamers, is a dealbreaker. just saying.
#90 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"] you lost me at Sony/Microsoft care about gaming. I know each company cares about money above all else, but more so with Sony and Microsoft in my opinion I could be wrong. With rumors of ways to block used game sales, Live nickle and diming customers, and Sony with their overpriced B.S., they don't sound like they like gamers at all, sounds like they want to exploit us and make a profit

You think Nintendo cares less about money than Sony and Microsoft? Are you talking about price fixing Nintendo? Or are you talking about "you can't release a game within the time frame of our release cause we don't want competition for our games" Nintendo.

Yup. TC is dead wrong if he believes that Nintendo cares the less about money... Nintendo: Had more than enough money, even at the beginning of the previous gen, to release a more powerful console, still they decided to go with the "crap hardware and a gimmick to attract sales" model, because they knew it would bring them more $$$$. Nintendo puts "mario" on pretty much every single game to make it sell, this is a confirmed fact, I think the trend began with mario tennis, the original idea didn't included mario at all, they just put him in there so that people would buy the game...hell I remember that the 1st mario tennis had a story mode where mario wasn't even present, it was like a standalone tennis game. They just put it to milk, mario tennis, mario soccer, mario golf, mario baseball, mario whatever. they know the name sells, so they put it even where it makes no sense. then there are even more shady business techniques, like releasing a prototype control (the wiimote) and then charging you for the completed version (wm+), selling the nunchuck and wiimote separately and a bunch of useless revisions to their handhelds just to have crazed fans buying them all (i.e the gameboy micro, probably the worst revision ever made in the console market)
#91 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"] and we know this how? It's been on the market less than 8 weeks, no one can make that argument until at least a year or two, or when the other next gen consoles come out so we have something to compare it toillmatic8582
This is a terrible argument. If the Wii U had next gen specs then why are so many devs criticising it? Why do all the games look worse or equal to PS3 games? I played GUN on 360 in SD at launch and it looked significantly better than any game on PS2 even though it's one of the 360's worst looking games. The Wii U doesn't have some magical hidden next generation potential and even if it did no devs are gonna bother trying to max out dated hardware when they have PS4 and Nextbox to work with.

That's my point next gen graphics will not be a big jump. It's not going to be like looking at God of War 2 (one of the best looking PS2 games) and Oblivion on xbox. So don't expect the PS4/XBOX to wow anyone with graphics.

The Witcher 2's pc graphics wow me everytime I play. Next gen consoles should be able to at least run that level of graphics. Also keep in mind a gtx460 can run modded Crysis. We're talking about a mod thats not well optimized for a game thats considered to not be well optimized for pc which doesnt get as much optimization as a console game. By the time the next gen consoles come out the 460 will be almost 4 years old. The 460 wasnt even top of the line when it released. Surely the consoles gpu's will at least match the power of the 460.

#92 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blake135"]

illmatic8582

Maybe for local mp but otherwise? No.
#93 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

The Witcher 2's pc graphics wow me everytime I play. Next gen consoles should be able to at least run that level of graphics. Also keep in mind a gtx460 can run modded Crysis. We're talking about a mod thats not well optimized for a game thats considered to not be well optimized for pc which doesnt get as much optimization as a console game. By the time the next gen consoles come out the 460 will be almost 4 years old. The 460 wasnt even top of the line when it released. Surely the consoles gpu's will at least match the power of the 460.

Cranler

You'd think so...

#94 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

I've come into this thread late. I'll see what I can do.

#95 Posted by Assassin_87 (2314 posts) -

I don't think everyone believes that. I for one think the technical advances that we will see, as far as what is visually noticeable in our games, will be minimal. There's just no incentive for developers or hardware manufacturers to keep pushing the envelope in that specific direction. Zombie brought up the point in this thread that customers won't be satisfied with low powered consoles, so that's why the PS4/Xbox 720 will be more powerful than the Wii U. However, if history is any indicator, customers don't uniformly demand power and great tech. If anything, all they want is low cost and ease of use.

I hold a firm belief that next gen will be much more about what developers can do to impact how we interact with our gaming machines, as opposed to moving the goalposts on graphics once more.

#96 Posted by AM-Gamer (4136 posts) -

1. Games like StarWars 1313 and Watchdogs were annouced for pc and unnanouced consoles and looked far better then anything on current consoles.

2. EA President said he saw the next gen consoles and they are amazing

3. Tech demos like UE 4.0 and Squares Luminous engine were debuted for high end pc's and unnanouced consoles.

In other words it looks like the next PS and Xbox wll be on par with future pc tech while the Wii U is on par with the PS3 and 360 so yes its about 5 years behind.

#97 Posted by loosingENDS (11867 posts) -

Because

1. WiiU has a big screen in the package, which means less money from its price go to graphics hardware

2. xbox 720 is coming a year later

3. xbox 360 was priced at 400$, and now MS has seen that charging 99$ and per month works, so xbox 720 can be any price, even 800$

4. xbox 360 was like 10 billion times stronger than Wii, so MS has shown that goes all out in graphics and this has worked wonders for them so far, taking a vast market that was on Sony side when they did not go for a system that lasts and has amazing hardware

5. Wii came a year AFTER xbox 360 and was weaker, WiiU comes a year BEFORE !!!! xbox 720 and packs a screen, plus its price is just 50$ over Wii

6. All multipltforms so far look best on xbox 360, which means WiiU hardware cant even match 7 years old hardware, which means not only it is the weakest one can find on PC right now, but also has some huge bottlenecks and terrible design

7. Games like StarWars 1313 and Watchdogs were annouced for pc and unnanouced consoles and looked far better then anything on current consoles.

8. EA President said he saw the next gen consoles and they are amazing

9. Tech demos like UE 4.0 and Squares Luminous engine were debuted for high end pc's and unnanouced consoles.

Pick one, any of the above will do

#98 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="illmatic8582"] you lost me at Sony/Microsoft care about gaming. I know each company cares about money above all else, but more so with Sony and Microsoft in my opinion I could be wrong. With rumors of ways to block used game sales, Live nickle and diming customers, and Sony with their overpriced B.S., they don't sound like they like gamers at all, sounds like they want to exploit us and make a profit

I think they all care about money
#99 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="illmatic8582"][QUOTE="Blake135"]

lightleggy

tablet controller, for most hardcore gamers, is a dealbreaker. just saying.

That's not true, most people who have used it say nothing but good things. So called hardcore gamers or elitist gamers?
#100 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lightning_fan"]It is not that the PS4 will be powerful... It is that the Wii U's hardware is such **** that even the PS4 will outclass it by a large margin. Of course 720 will obliterate both as Sony is near broke and can not afford to take on Microsoft.

So we know that because of Unreal 4? I'm not being sarcastic btw...