Why do you not want Final Fantasy XII HD?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

At the time of its release, no one cared, and those who did were disappointed. Yet as time has gone by, Final Fantasy XII has emerged as not just one of the most progressive games in the series, but a prescient RPG in general, and one of the best games in a franchise that has no shortage of amazing games.

Final Fantasy XII had:

• Amazing graphics. Seriously, this game aged wonderfully. Look at how good it looks- a minor touch up, and this will be good to go for today's audience
  • Actual, good writing. After how shitty the writing was in Final Fantasy X, and later, in Final Fantasy XIII, it's easy to forget that Final Fantasy can actually have some crisp writing sometimes- such was the case with Final Fantasy XII.
  • The music. Dear God, the music.
  • The story- Final Fantasy XII differs from the rest of the series in that it takes the focus squarely away from interpersonal drama and character growth, and chooses to focus on the larger political struggle, the bigger picture issues facing the world, and it is better for it.
  • The gameplay was amazing- the battle system was one that many western RPGs would try to emulate down the line, and it still holds up (though some parts could use some tweaking), and the game offered amazing freedom. After how restricted X and XIII were, XII can seem like an almost jarring culture shock.

We want Final Fantasy XII HD. Arguably one of the three best games in the series, it deserves its time in the sun. Do the right thing, Square Enix, give it an HD re-release. You better announce it this E3.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Despite Vaan's gurliness, yes I do want FFXII HD.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I'll eat up anything with a numbered Final Fantasy so yeah.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I hear the international version of FFXII or whatever it was called (Zodiac something something...) is supposed to be actually good, but I really didn't care that much for FFXII.

-The battle system didn't really do anything for me. Summons were completely useless, quickenings became less and less useful the more I got into the game from what I recall, and it was best to resevre your MP for, well, magic. gambit system was a neat idea but I never really drew me in. Didn't really need to bother with it much either TBH. Only thing I can really say positively about the battle system is that it conveniently kept all battles on the world map and didn;t take time to go to another screen.

-the world was open, yeah, but that meant nothing to me as I never really found it to be a world worth traversing. ONly time I ever really bothered exploring was when doing those monster quests. Didn't actually find the world engaging like I would, say, a Zelda game's world or a Metroid game's, or some other FF's or JRPGs.

-license system was dumb.

-Music wasn't bad, but was probably the most forgettable soundtrack to me.

-Graphics were better, sure, but I still much prefer some of the more fantastical worlds of FFIX, FFX or FFXIII, or the worlds of FFVI and FFVII which did a great job of mixing a medieval setting with more of a technological/modern one. FFXII in comparison didn't really stand out as much when compared to other 3D FF's.

-I didn't really care for FFXII's story either. The main cast was pretty underwhelming and uninteresting, Vaan was shit and shouldn't have been treated as the main character. And I remember finding all the political stuff hard to follow as well when I played, which made it harder to give a shit about what was going on, but maybe that was just me. Writing/dialogue was pretty well handled though when compared to other FF games sure, shitty Vaan aside. Just too bad that writing couldn't have been in a story actually worth caring about.

The one thing I did overall kind of like was the monster quests, but the main quest and alot of the features FFXII offered just fell flat for me, and for that reason FFXII is easily one of my least favorite FF games, only beating out FFIII.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Thought it was a mediocre FF. Probably start of the downfall of the series.

Agree on the story part, loved the politics.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Disagree with all of that I see it as one of the worst in the series

Vaan was awfull as a main character, the music was terrible in comparison to games before it and the battle system felt like an offline mmo.

.I was far to bored to play past a couple hours.

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

I really want FF XII HD but...really? Good writing? In FF XII? Are you jokin?

So you're saying a game that lack focus on their character so even I can't tell who the **** the main character is...and so many party members with zero personality... had good writing? We're starting the game with Vaan as main character, but in the middle part we focus on Basch, and at the ending we focus to Balthier. So after the ending I felt...confused, what story did FF XII really want to tell? Because seriously I don't know. The story starts out great, but the lack of focus on the characters really hurt me. Final Fantasy is all about the characters, unlike Elder Scrolls series. At least in FF X every characters has personality, such as Wakka who really hate Al-Bhed but starting to accept it after he knew Rikku and Yuna are Al-Bhed too. And FF X focus on Tidus and Yuna's relationship and Yuna's sacrifice on their journey to defeat Sin. And then the ending!! God I really cried when I first watched FF X ending. I knew it was gonna happen, but I don't think Square will pull it off. Thank God I was wrong.

But despite the abrupt storyline I gotta admit I still want to play FF XII. The gameplay was better than FF X. The sidequest are far better than FF X. The world and monster design are better than FF X. The graphics are beautiful. That's the reason I wanna play FF XII HD. On my Vita please....after seeing how ugly Xenoblade Chronicles 3D played on New3DS. Everyone began to think that we can not play big RPG on handeld. So if FF XII release on Vita, well...people will believe the handeld again

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I'd love to see a FFXII HD, the game was great. Indeed after X, it felt very different and it was hard to like the world for what it was after being in love with Spira, so I personally never got around to playing much of it, however I did watch my sister play plenty (besides, she had older sibling privileges, there was little I could do anyways) and I ended up being left in awe with what I saw of the world.

So I say yeah, bring it on! For anything FFIX and earlier, I'd say remakes are the way to go (everyone here just knows that a FFVII remake reveal would just about finish E3 right there) but XII is a game worthy of a rerelease, and like you say, with graphics, battle system and the Sweet Mary Mother Of God Absolutely AMAZING orchestra, a FFXII HD remaster would be perfect.

P.S. @charizard1605 When you say FFX had shit writing, do you just mean the dialogue? Or are you referring to the entire plot? I can totally agree with the first, but the story in and of itself is amazing, personally.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Never properly played it, so I wouldn't mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ianhh6: Dialog. The lore was great.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!!!!!!

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@charizard1605: Then yeah, totally.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I'd totally buy a FF12 HD remake.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#15 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

One of my favorite games of all time so I really want an HD release.

The visuals of this game impressed me more at the time than Gears of War did. The Gambit system was addicting for me. I love the characters and the music, but the standout is the world of Ivalice which is incredibly well-realized.

It's my most desired remaster.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

I hated that game. It had horrible graphics, story and some of the worst combat. I think I made it half way through the game couldn't beat a boss so instead of grinding I just quite.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I didn't enjoy FFXII, especially the combat system, and didn't like the license system. Besides that, FFX was one of my favourite games of that generation, and I didn't even feel the need to get the HD version of that.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I really couldn't get into FFXII. It had all the parts a good JRPG should: The presentation, a setting rife with conflict, a giant diverse world, a nuanced combat system etc; but it spent almost no time outside of the opening few hours on its characters/story. I remember being bored to death fighting enemy after enemy with hardly a meaningful cutscene to break it up. I even went to the trouble of importing International Zodiac Job Edition and found the experience much the same (IZJE doesn't address story/character complaints).

Maybe the game gets much better later on, but I wouldn't know as I've never gotten more than 30 hours in. And if an RPGs story/characters can't hook you by then it's failed.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I don't care whether its sold again or not. I would rather buy a feces sculpture.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Probably because FFXII is fucking boring?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Because it is a waste of developer time when SE needs to put all men on deck to get XV out the door. They need to move the series forward because while cashing in on the past, they haven't exactly been delivering on the present.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

When I played the demo years back, I really liked it. But the opportunity to play the full game never arrived unfortunately, so I wouldn't mind a remaster to be honest.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Already own the game for Ps2

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

I honestly never understood the praise 12 got.

Boring, generic characters. A forgettable story, and a bland ''world''. The combat was ok i guess? Like, think of the iconic set pieces of the older games. 12 had nothing.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'd buy it (especially if it's the international zodiac version) and I think it's a lot better then FFX.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I would like to see a proper remake of FF V and VI. Right now I just started playing them both and so far I'm liking them. But again a proper remake and not those shitty phone versions. Man do they both look very ugly.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

cause ff12 sucks

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

FFXII was probably the last really good game in the FF series. I wouldn't mind seeing a HD remaster of that.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I haven't played FF12, but the main concerns I've heard about the game was always how weak the story was. I heard the story feels unfinished due to an absence of a director mid development. The main protagonist is also terrible and has no bearing on the main plot.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Because it's shit.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Because FXII is a bad game.

Great story. Bad game.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Also, just because XIII was an atrocity, no one is gonna praise XII for being a less shit.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I actually enjoyed this game a lot. Still play it in fact. Getting things that I missed and I'm finally gonna finish it... hopefully this time. :P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I absolutely loved it on PS 2 , i wants it on HD but on PS 3 also as i still don't own a PS 4 :)

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

it was fun. Would I buy it again that would be a no. Still kinda annoyed they switch the lead since the lead we got feels so unimportant to everything. I also remember when the fanbase hated this game to death. Strange world we live in.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

I haven't played FF12, but the main concerns I've heard about the game was always how weak the story was. I heard the story feels unfinished due to an absence of a director mid development. The main protagonist is also terrible and has no bearing on the main plot.

That's because Basch was originally supposed to be the protagonist, but after the original director left, Squenix changed the protagonist to Vaan.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Because FF12 sucked ass the first time? No, this isn't an opinion. Yes, it is fact. No, I will not argue. I win... nothing to see here.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I would love a FF12 HD, cause Balthier is the shit and 12 is vastly better than 10

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

It's the last FF game I've played. It was a technical marvel at the time, but story-wise and gameplay-wise it never did much for me, to this day I've never finished it.

ugh...I probably wont bother then.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Of course

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

That's easy, I can already play it in HD on PC. Also the games progression system is shit without Zodiac since you can make every character a god quite easily. Zodiac introduces a much needed level of challenge.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#44  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

They should have remastered this first instead of X and brought with it the IZJS addons. Aesthetically, I feel it has a more modern appeal to it with a more explorable environment, great world design, elements of political fantasy which is somewhat popular these days and a gameplay system that's pretty traditional despite breaking away from the usual FF encounter structure. Where X had people realising its flaws and similarities to XIII once they returned to it.

Would be great if they bundled it with a remastered version of Revenant Wings, too. Because that game is awesome. I know people give Vaan and Penelo alot of crap for their awkward and seemingly out of place roles in XII, but they made up for it standing on their own as likeable and endearing characters in the enjoyable RTS spin off, while also making the appearances of the rest of the cast pretty cool.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I started my copy in HD *cough* a little while ago, but i've been sidetracked. I'd definitely pay for a PS4 version.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@charizard1605: Final Fantasy 12 was a messy game ... It felt like a BAD , literally BAD , single player MMORPG to me ! I used to be a huge FF fan , i got almost all FF games , even the crappy 13 .. but i never ever felt like playing FF12.. After 4-5 hours in it i couldnt bare with it. The start of the downfall of FF series despite its high scores and praise from various sources and some gamers.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Cause turn based RPG's are lame, just fucking attack the enimies don't stop make me chose something then do it, no satisfaction in that for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's one of the three best games in the series. I'd love a remaster to play it in again.

@xxyetixx said:

Cause turn based RPG's are lame, just fucking attack the enimies don't stop make me chose something then do it, no satisfaction in that for me.

Well you're in luck because Final Fantasy XII isn't a turn based game.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ announce this today Square!!!

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Aljosa23: well shit that's news to me, I didn't know they were making the gameplay better. Last I played Final Fantasy and fought an enemy. The game stopped let me choose attack, magic or an item and then my character did what ever I selected, then the same for the next person following me along, then the enemy attacked and repeated this until he was defeated. That's turn based