Why Do People Say Blu-Ray Is better than HD-DVD???

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I was just wondering why Blue-Ray is so hyped up..... i mean iv heard it cant be read from as fast as a HD-DVD, and i know it has more space... but i dont think games developers could actually fill all that space up. But im not too smart so please tell me which one you like and why.

P.S. im not a Microsoft fanboy.... I have a PC, and a DS Lite... Im neutral!

Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
Because they are trying to justify the £425 they just wasted???
venture00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 venture00
Member since 2004 • 1060 Posts
Also HD DVD has better image quality
2largeadults

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 2largeadults
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

I was just wondering why Blue-Ray is so hyped up..... i mean iv heard it cant be read from as fast as a HD-DVD, and i know it has more space... but i dont think games developers could actually fill all that space up. But im not too smart so please tell me which one you like and why.

daytona_178
it doesn't matter which one you like hd-dvd is finished check the news
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="daytona_178"]

2largeadults

I guess this is the type of response i should expect from the sytem wars forum! I should have know better...
2largeadults

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 2largeadults
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
[QUOTE="2largeadults"][QUOTE="daytona_178"]

daytona_178

I guess this is the type of response i should expect from the sytem wars forum! I should have know better...

... That wasn't an opinion pal. Here's the link form since you aren't the sharpest crayon in the box: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2104850,00.asp
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts

daytona_178

Blu-ray have:
-Bigger bandwidth (yes it can be read faster than HD-DVD in a sense)
-Bigger space
-support every codec HD-DVD support (quality is depend on studios and the content itself, don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
-5 big exclusive studios (Sony,Fox,Disney,Lionsgate,Buena Vista + MGM/AU) as opposed to 1 for HD-DVD (Universal) + Weinstein
-more manufacturer support (Toshiba is the only big name CE produce exclusively HD-DVD player right now)

-Not only Blu-ray crush HD-DVD in term of technical aspect, it also dominates in number of contents (more studios support, what do you expect). And it is currently outselling HD-DVD by at least 2:1 margin. Even though release later than HD-DVD by at least 3 months, it not only catch up but surpass HD-DVD in every sales categories now.

-The only valid argument HD-DVD have might be price is cheaper for HD-DVD. But that only advantage seem like it is vaporating because most of HD-DVD movie release are now combo (HD-DVD and SD-DVD on the same disc) Make it cost more than Blu-ray.

So there you go, that's why people say Blu-ray is better.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Here's the low down, from someone who isn't a fanboy, i'm happy with upconverted DVDs. Blu-ray was behind Hd-DVD in terms of quality because of the codecs they were using, but recently i hear that it has caught up. You can't say one is better than the other because different movies come to each format. My guess is that people are trying to justify from buying a PS3. I could care less about paying for either right now even though i just got an HDTV.

I still think MS made the right choice by going with DVD, blu-ray is only making devs lazy by not having to compress their games. Although you can't really blame them because the 2X bd drive in the PS3 has lower bandwidth compared to 16X DVD that the 360 has. I suspect that hardly any games will fill a 50GB BD-ROM, only exclusives like FF with lots of cutscenes esp. if they're at 1080P. However i doubt there will be many 1080P games this gen.

Me_Ur_Daddy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Me_Ur_Daddy_
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
Also HD DVD has better image qualityventure00
failure, bluray supports vc-1 or whatever its called just like hd-dvd supports it. blu ray is better cus it has more studios and movies on it's side, and has bigger cpacity. it doesnt read slower either, that is just the ps3 drive not the newest bluray players. and even the ps3 drive is a good speed cus its constant, dvd only reads faster on the inside of the disc or outside i dont remember, than bluray by any noticable margin, but how much stuff can you stor on edges of a disc ? not much so its pointless too mention.
tazzydnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 tazzydnc
Member since 2006 • 3874 Posts
from a gaming and movie viewing standpoint I really don't care. Personally I like blu ray better as the next dvd format because it holds way more info than hd dvd. 50gbs on a single disc sounds amazing right now and would make backing up stuff so much quicker.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="2largeadults"] ... That wasn't an opinion pal. Here's the link form since you aren't the sharpest crayon in the box: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2104850,00.asp

Attempt to be sly = 79% failure rate. Neither format is in immeadiate danger of dying = 97% correct.
type_v_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 type_v_basic
Member since 2002 • 577 Posts
Blu-Ray is easily a better choice than HD-DVD because there is a better choice of movies for it. Blu-Ray has a better more exclusive studios backing it up (HD-DVD only has one).
From a technical standpoint, more room means more extras can be added. Audiophiles will really enjoy the fact that uncompressed sound is possible.
As far as gaming is concerned, a first generation game (Resistance) apparently takes up nearly 20 Gb, so its not as if developpers will never come close to needing that much room.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Blu-Ray is easily a better choice than HD-DVD because there is a better choice of movies for it. Blu-Ray has a better more exclusive studios backing it up (HD-DVD only has one).
From a technical standpoint, more room means more extras can be added. Audiophiles will really enjoy the fact that uncompressed sound is possible.
As far as gaming is concerned, a first generation game (Resistance) apparently takes up nearly 20 Gb, so its not as if developpers will never come close to needing that much room.
type_v_basic
A lot of that Resistance space has been proved to be filler or "buffering" space.
jonnythefoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jonnythefoxx
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts
HD DVD has better image quality????....best stop talking about things u obviously know bugger all about!...Blu-Ray has a larger capacity and it has more companies and technology backing it than HDDVD.....
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 X360PS3AMD05
I forgot to add, althought 200GB eight layered BD is in the works, i think ultimately HD-DVD will come out on top. It's cheaper to make and cheaper to buy so i think it will catch on like VHS. Plus the average joe will associate "HD" with "DVD" and come up with "HD-DVD" :D When they might not even know what Blu-Ray is.

P.S. I've also heard of a four-layered HD-DVD with 60GB and maybe an eight-layered version with 120GB.

HD DVD has better image quality????....best stop talking about things u obviously know bugger all about!...Blu-Ray has a larger capacity and it has more companies and technology backing it than HDDVD.....jonnythefoxx
I'm sure you hang out at AVSForums a lot too :roll:
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
Neither is really "better" than the other.  They are simply storage mediums for whatever content one wants to put on them.  It's just that Bluray has more people using it for their method of distributing high definition media.
jonnythefoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jonnythefoxx

'average' and 'joe'.......says it all really eh?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Daytona_178
OK,,, cool guys. thanks for your help.
jonnythefoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jonnythefoxx
avforums.....not avsforums......
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ramey70
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]I forgot to add, althought 200GB eight layered BD is in the works, i think ultimately HD-DVD will come out on top. It's cheaper to make and cheaper to buy so i think it will catch on like VHS. Plus the average joe will associate "HD" with "DVD" and come up with "HD-DVD" :D When they might not even know what Blu-Ray is.

P.S. I've also heard of a four-layered HD-DVD with 60GB and maybe an eight-layered version with 120GB.

HD DVD has better image quality????....best stop talking about things u obviously know bugger all about!...Blu-Ray has a larger capacity and it has more companies and technology backing it than HDDVD.....jonnythefoxx

I actually do hang out on a lot on the AVSforums. The 200GB Bluray isn't in the "works", as it's actually existed for some time. HD-DVD is rumored to be developing a 51GB triple layered disc. However, it won't be read by any HD-DVD player currently on the market. And yes, the previously poster was correct in stating that the image quality difference between HD-DVD and Bluray is now a wash.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="daytona_178"]

tranhgiang

Blu-ray have:
-Bigger space
-support every codec HD-DVD support (quality is depend on studios and the content itself, don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
-5 big exclusive studios (Sony,Fox,Disney,Lionsgate,Buena Vista + MGM/AU) as opposed to 1 for HD-DVD (Universal) + Weinstein
-more manufacturer support (Toshiba is the only big name CE produce exclusively HD-DVD player right now)

-Not only Blu-ray crush HD-DVD in term of technical aspect, it also dominates in number of contents (more studios support, what do you expect). And it is currently outselling HD-DVD by at least 2:1 margin. Even though release later than HD-DVD by at least 3 months, it not only catch up but surpass HD-DVD in every sales categories now.

-The only valid argument HD-DVD have might be price is cheaper for HD-DVD. But that only advantage seem like it is vaporating because most of HD-DVD movie release are now combo (HD-DVD and SD-DVD on the same disc) Make it cost more than Blu-ray.

Yeah, i forgot to say.... thanks for the research..... its rare to find logical thinkers on a fanboy forum! lol
Me_Ur_Daddy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Me_Ur_Daddy_
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="2largeadults"] ... That wasn't an opinion pal. Here's the link form since you aren't the sharpest crayon in the box: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2104850,00.asp

Attempt to be sly = 79% failure rate. Neither format is in immeadiate danger of dying = 97% correct.

sorry hddvd is already dead, being outsold like 4 to 1[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]I forgot to add, althought 200GB eight layered BD is in the works, i think ultimately HD-DVD will come out on top. It's cheaper to make and cheaper to buy so i think it will catch on like VHS. Plus the average joe will associate "HD" with "DVD" and come up with "HD-DVD" :D When they might not even know what Blu-Ray is.

its not that much cheaper to make and production cost for bluray are dropping fast, i dont know what kind of hope you are holding onto that ur hd-dvd add on for ur 360 will ever come into heavy use or as much use as a bluray player, but im sorry MS got you to pay $200 for it. my condolinces for ur 200 bux, RIP $200, im sure he misses you
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 X360PS3AMD05
[QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]I forgot to add, althought 200GB eight layered BD is in the works, i think ultimately HD-DVD will come out on top. It's cheaper to make and cheaper to buy so i think it will catch on like VHS. Plus the average joe will associate "HD" with "DVD" and come up with "HD-DVD" :D When they might not even know what Blu-Ray is.

I actually do hang out on a lot on the AVSforums. The 200GB Bluray isn't in the "works", as it's actually existed for some time. HD-DVD is rumored to be developing a 51GB triple layered disc. However, it won't be read by any HD-DVD player currently on the market. And yes, the previously poster was correct in stating that the image quality difference between HD-DVD and Bluray is now a wash.

Wasn't talking to you i was talking to johnnythefox. [QUOTE="Me_Ur_Daddy_"] its not that much cheaper to make and production cost for bluray are dropping fast, i dont know what kind of hope you are holding onto that ur hd-dvd add on for ur 360 will ever come into heavy use or as much use as a bluray player, but im sorry MS got you to pay $200 for it. my condolinces for ur 200 bux, RIP $200, im sure he misses you

I don't own a 360 and when i do i won't buy the add-on because like i said, i'm happy MS gave us the option.
jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="2largeadults"][QUOTE="daytona_178"]

daytona_178

No he's being serious blu-ray is pulling infront of HD-DVD if you don't like his honest answer then look else where because what he says is the truth. sales for blue ray compared to HD-DVD are 2:1 and with blu-ray having the superior line up of movies in the coming months.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
1) Better storage capacity 2) Better durability 3) Killing HD-DVD at retail
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Personally I like the image quality of HD-DVD 's 720p, over Blu-Rays 1080i, but HD-DVD has no chance. Sony gobbled up too many exclusives.
muscrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 muscrat_01
Member since 2005 • 3592 Posts
IGN did a V.S and Blu Ray boned HD DVD.

Im all for the extra space, though DVDs will be fine for PC games for years, so no matter :P
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Personally I like the image quality of HD-DVD 's 720p, over Blu-Rays 1080i, but HD-DVD has no chance. Sony gobbled up too many exclusives.dru26
Uhm...both formats support resolutions up to 1080P, do you have any idea what you're talking about?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because they are trying to justify the £425 they just wasted???Bazfrag

Precisely.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
Not true, they both use VC-1 now
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

the only one's who truly think bluray is better are the fanboys who simply don't know any better...

i love the obscure links they bring up to try to prove bluray is somehow going to be a success, when everyone knows it's bound for obscurity as betamax was....

blurays is more costly than hd dvd with no discernable advantage to warrant the extra $300.....

hd dvd has lower authoring costs leaving greater profits for the movie makers.

The real proof is the fact that of all the supposed "support" that bluray has, there jsut doesn't seem like that many movies are being re-released in bluray....

it's a bad idea from the onset..... too much, too soon....:(

-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts
[QUOTE="daytona_178"]

tranhgiang

Blu-ray have:
-Bigger space

And HD-DVD movies are MORE EXPENSIVE.
MattBrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MattBrian
Member since 2004 • 625 Posts
because it is...lol

j/k mostly b/c of the space
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ramey70

the only one's who truly think bluray is better are the fanboys who simply don't know any better...

i love the obscure links they bring up to try to prove bluray is somehow going to be a success, when everyone knows it's bound for obscurity as betamax was....

blurays is more costly than hd dvd with no discernable advantage to warrant the extra $300.....

The real proof is the fact that of all the supposed "support" that bluray has, there jsut doesn't seem like that many movies are being re-released in bluray....

tango90101
Have you been hiding under a rock for the past few months? The real knock on HD-DVD now is that nothing is being released for it and Universal (HD-DVD's big exclusive studio) has nothing big slated for heard release in the future. Disney and Fox both have monster schedules upcoming for Bluray. For the talk of people being fanboys it might be advantageous to do a little research yourself before you begin to appear as one yourself.
ROLFCHANK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ROLFCHANK
Member since 2006 • 1085 Posts
[QUOTE="daytona_178"][QUOTE="2largeadults"][QUOTE="daytona_178"]

2largeadults

... That wasn't an opinion pal. Here's the link form since you aren't the sharpest crayon in the box: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2104850,00.asp

that article doesnt seem to say anything about hd dvd being dead. blu ray is beating hd in sales 52% to 48%? doesnt seem like that big of a deal. anyway, who cares about this format war yet? not i.
metalmonkey268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 metalmonkey268
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

The format has nothing to do with the image quality on the disc.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

ramey70

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past few months? The real knock on HD-DVD now is that nothing is being released for it and Universal (HD-DVD's big exclusive studio) has nothing big slated for heard release in the future. Disney and Fox both have monster schedules upcoming for Bluray. For the talk of people being fanboys it might be advantageous to do a little research yourself before you begin to appear as one yourself.

i guess you simply forgot about WB re-releasing many, many of their older titles on hd dvd...

meanwhile you're simply counting new releases....

ps... porn is backing hd dvd...buh bye bluray..;)

it wouldn't hurt you to do a bit more research before posting again...;)

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
Here's the low down, from someone who isn't a fanboy, i'm happy with upconverted DVDs. Blu-ray was behind Hd-DVD in terms of quality because of the codecs they were using, but recently i hear that it has caught up. You can't say one is better than the other because different movies come to each format. My guess is that people are trying to justify from buying a PS3. I could care less about paying for either right now even though i just got an HDTV.

I still think MS made the right choice by going with DVD, blu-ray is only making devs lazy by not having to compress their games. Although you can't really blame them because the 2X bd drive in the PS3 has lower bandwidth compared to 16X DVD that the 360 has. I suspect that hardly any games will fill a 50GB BD-ROM, only exclusives like FF with lots of cutscenes esp. if they're at 1080P. However i doubt there will be many 1080P games this gen.

X360PS3AMD05
Yup... saves me the trouble of writing all of that...
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ramey70
[QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

tango90101

i guess you simply forgot about WB re-releasing many, many of their older titles on hd dvd...

Porn will be available on Bluray as well. Either way, porn will be a non-factor this generation due to the internet. In the Betamax-VHS war the only real way to get full video porn in the home was via those two formats. Not so today. And best of all, porn on the interent can be had for free. Regarding WB's old releases, many of those will also be available on Bluray, if not all as they are a dual format supporter. Further, when I say new releases I don't just mean new movies. Disney and Fox are also going back in their extensive catalouge to release movies as well. I'm more into home theater than I am gaming. I spend far more time at AVS than I do here. I could care less which format "wins" but at this point all signs are pointing to Bluray probably winning. Even on AVS, the HD-DVD supporters have pretty much thrown in the towel and see the writing on the wall.
TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts

tango90101

Porn is supporting both formats maybe your new to GS or something,and doesnt WB support both formats? whats stopping them from releasing the older movies on blu ray also? or are you just spitting fanboyism?
anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 anprionsa
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts
What it is going to come down to in the very end is the price tag of such movies and players. Blu-ray discs cost more and so do the players, on the other hand HD-DVD costs less. In America, whatever costs less usually gets sold a lot more, having worked in Retail I know a little about what goes around, whatever was more expensive went the latter and was on the shelf.

This may or may not be the case, but it is a large factor in discerning who will become the new format. And with Apple not yet deciding who it will back, and MANY other studios, its still up in the air as to who will actually win. Also I'm sure a lot of people who are familiar with Sony's DRM hacking days, they left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths, (mine included) it will take a lot more then just studio support and a larger disc to win the American market.

I am currently neutral when it comes to HD-DVD/Blu-ray (cause I haven't bought any of them) and am waiting to see which one holds out. And like I said, lower cost = more buys, its simple econimcs.
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts
format wars?
anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anprionsa
format wars?omarguy01

Xbox360 = HD-DVD
PS3 = Blu-ray

So yes, it does have something to do with "console wars"
Dashtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dashtal
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
People hardly ever know what they're talking about. Especially on System Wars...
cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cheatymcshifty
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts

tango90101

Because we all know that the 5th release of a movie on it's 3rd format always sells so amazingly... And who still buys porn on dvd'sl/ vhs/ .. hd dvd.. honestly.. it's just not a smart business move..
anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 anprionsa
[QUOTE="venture00"]Also HD DVD has better image qualityR-Dot-Yung
No it doesnt HD DVD is officialy dead anyway when Blu Ray is slowly growing, more space, more movies, BD DVD is the future whether you want it or not

Quote me or give me a link to a credible source and I will believe what you just said as fact and that it wasn't a fanyboyism.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

TheWiikestLink

Porn is supporting both formats maybe your new to GS or something,and doesnt WB support both formats? whats stopping them from releasing the older movies on blu ray also? or are you just spitting fanboyism?

Vivid Video has only stated they may support bluray... meanwhile cranking out the hd dvd movies....;)

i don't know what's stopping them other than they're not doing it, from what i've read, on the level hd dvd are re-releasing older movies..

it's a smart move as these movies tend to attract the kind of the adult market who has access to the $400 needed to watch a hd dvd....

the ps3 doesn't attract the same market, as proven by the poor ps3 sales...

it's not the content of porn that distinguishes the idea of which format will win.  It's the business model.  Porn has the most efficient and typically the industry will follow as the overhead is lower and profits are higher using hd dvd, as stated by Vivid, (3 times the cost of authoring on bluray than hd dvd, from what they said).

bah... i don't expect any of you to understand, but just wait for it.... ;)