Why do people deny the Fact FFVII is the GOAT?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by DarthaPerkinjan (762 posts) -

Just face it already. Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game of all time. I dont like the Godfather movies yet I realize the first film is the greatest movie of all time as it is universally loved by critics and fans.

Get it through your head gamers, just because you didnt like it that much doesnt give you the right to ignore the tens of millions who see it as the pinnacle of gaming.

Do you have any idea how many games were influenced by Final Fantasy VII? All these cinematic games you have now like Uncharted, Two souls etc started with Final Fantasy VII.

So here it goes: Recognize Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game of all time. People to this day are begging for a remake. The only people begging for a VI remake are hipsters who still game on the SNES more then anything else because they think they're too cool for everything else. 3D is so overrated.

#2 Posted by Netret0120 (2009 posts) -

I think it really comes down to taste in games. A gamer who dislikes RPG's would disagree with you till the end.

FFVII is one of my favourite games of all time though. That game rules. Barret FTW!!!

#3 Edited by MBirdy88 (7490 posts) -

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

#4 Posted by Lucianu (9316 posts) -

You made a good thread and now you're making a shitty one in an atempt to annoy fans? Why?

#5 Posted by pelvist (4585 posts) -

If it wasnt for Everquest 1, I would agree with you Darth.

#6 Edited by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Because it's not.

#7 Posted by Gue1 (9456 posts) -

because gamers hate everything that is popular.

#8 Edited by foxhound_fox (87408 posts) -

FFVII is just a retread of FFVI with different character names.

#9 Posted by stuff238 (611 posts) -

You have to remember. The game came out like 1997? Something like that. Most of the gamers today have not even played it. They grew up on halo and CoD. It is sad, but we have to live with it even if their opinions are wrong.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (38833 posts) -

I could never get into FF7.

#11 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8295 posts) -

What a shallow reasoning behind Grandfather's status, and it might only be held in such esteem by someone who started watching films from late 60s era onwards and hasn't seen a single film from Europe or rest of the world. If you really love films and can penetrate their deep structures, you'll realize a notion of "the best film" doesn't even exist. Anyway, as far as games are concerned, such claims are equally moronic.

#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27328 posts) -

Because JRPG's are ****ing awful to some people?

#13 Posted by HadOne2Many (1195 posts) -

Yuck, FFVII wasn't even the best Final Fantasy game.

#14 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38211 posts) -

Because Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Metal Gear Solid 3 exist

EDIT: oh and because FFIX also exists

#15 Edited by jg4xchamp (47116 posts) -

Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Ninja Gaiden Black>that game.

#16 Posted by heretrix (37296 posts) -

because it isn't that good.

#17 Edited by lostrib (33507 posts) -

Because people have differing opinions

#18 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

Not even the best FF game.

Not even the best FF game on the PS1.

#19 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Technically Ocarina of Time is GOAT. Link

I think it is FFX. FFVII is probably my 3rd favorite.

I think that something like this is subjective, everyone has there own GOAT.

#20 Posted by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Because Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Metal Gear Solid 3 exist

EDIT: oh and because FFIX also exists

I'm gonna come out and say it..... I didn't like FF 9

However you will cringe in disgust when I say this.

I really like FF8.

But i'm playing through 6 right now so i'll see what all the hubub is about

#21 Posted by mems_1224 (46308 posts) -

Because Square refuses to remake it so that it doesn't look like utter garbage and unplayable?

#22 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3401 posts) -

DOA Xtreme 2 is the GOAT though.

#23 Posted by Joedgabe (5096 posts) -

That's only by critics not community. I've been though quite a few games that have left a better impression on me over Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time hasn't aged well honestly. I tried to go back and play it, it's clunky as fawk. But the Sheep and Closet Sheep worship nintendo titles like if they was some hot goddesses.

#24 Edited by Basinboy (11004 posts) -

Because there is no such thing as a GOAT

Except for those who start terrible threads

#25 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

That's only by critics not community. I've been though quite a few games that have left a better impression on me over Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time hasn't aged well honestly. I tried to go back and play it, it's clunky as fawk. But the Sheep and Closet Sheep worship nintendo titles like if they was some hot goddesses.

I understand that, it isn't really one of my favorite games either.

But it is universally praised by critics and fans. I was just pointing out that for the reasons he stated for FFVII being GOAT, it's actually OoT.

#26 Posted by The4thVIII (372 posts) -

Do you have any idea how many games were influenced by Final Fantasy VII? All these cinematic games you have now like Uncharted, Two souls etc started with Final Fantasy VII.

So much bullshit it's scary. Listen bud, come back to me when Square can write a story that actually makes a full plot that can be understood and without fumbling the end of the game and ending because they made so many crap mistakes they don't know how to wrap it up.

Also games that rely on backtracking to extend time with useless filler quests you HAVE TO DO and are not side quests automatically disqualify for best game.

BTW, the game looked uglier than Most launch PSX games on the map. The game graphics in battle are also inexcusably blocking and overly pixelated. In 1997.

#27 Edited by Motokid6 (5132 posts) -

I like RPG's. But turn based? Taking turns hitting each other? I hated it when i played FF as a kid and i hate it today. Keep that shit away from me.

Pretty cinematics though..

#28 Edited by GhoX (4687 posts) -

The nostalgia is strong with this one....

No.

#29 Posted by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Can some tell me what GOAT is

Game of the ?

#30 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2321 posts) -
#31 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3099 posts) -

#32 Posted by Seabas989 (10052 posts) -

I can think of a bunch of games better then FFVII.

#33 Edited by lostrib (33507 posts) -

Game of the ?

Game of all time

#34 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4367 posts) -

By what standard is Final Fantasy VII the greatest of all time? According to critics it's not even the highest rated Final Fantasy and we don't even have good records of reviews prior to 1996 or so.

#35 Edited by stereointegrity (10700 posts) -

FF7>>FF8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF9>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF10>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF13

everything fell apart for final fantasy after Enix came into the picture

#36 Posted by PsychoLemons (1994 posts) -

Because it created a terrible fanbase.

#37 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

I love FF7 but that title goes to MGS and that is only after playing it 2 years ago. I cant even imagine how amazing it must have seemed all those years ago

#38 Posted by Zophar87 (4345 posts) -

Lol. It's not even the best FF game.

#39 Edited by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Game of the ?

Game of all time

Greatest of all time.

OP FF6 is the GOAT FF game/JRPG.

#40 Posted by enzyme36 (1452 posts) -

Not even the best game in the series. Poll the FF fans and you will get a mix. I think 6 was a far better game IMO.

#41 Posted by lamprey263 (22880 posts) -

I've attempted many times over the years to beat the game and I always quit out of boredom about halfway through.

#42 Edited by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

I deny it because I haven't played it.

I do own it thought and am planning to start it up sometime next month. But for now, Ocarina of Time is still the goat.

#43 Posted by NationProtector (806 posts) -

I love FF7 but that title goes to MGS and that is only after playing it 2 years ago. I cant even imagine how amazing it must have seemed all those years ago

Pretty bad if you played Thief and Tenchu which came out the same year before or after it.

MGS however was not a trash game, but I am not entirely sure why the game got so much Hype about 10 months after it came out. because MGS did not start becoming a best seller out the gate.

#44 Posted by rosko123 (508 posts) -

For me it probably is. But that probably does have a lot to do with when it came out and my age. I was 11 at the time and had quite a limited experience with RPG's at that point and I was just so absorbed in the story and characters and addicted to side questing and finding everything there was to find. At the time it really was a technical feat I had seen nothing like it before and my tiny mind was blown haha. I would say my love for it is nostalgia fueled but I did play through it recently which is something I wouldn't do if it hadn't aged well as it is a very lengthy game.

#45 Posted by hoplayletsplay (977 posts) -

I laughed every time someone says FFVI > FFVII. By all means, 6 is great and did not doing anything wrong but 7 is just so much more. I guess people just have to hate on what's the most popular.

#46 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Because if you look up the word "fact" in the dictionary, the word "opinion" does not appear in the definition.

Better luck next thread.

#47 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

7 isn't even the best Final Fantasy, Tactics is.

#48 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3666 posts) -

FFVII isn't even my favorite FF. My favorite FF is not my favorite RPG. My favorite RPG is my favorite for that one genre, and that isn't even separating the categories of RPG's.

I don't feel any one game is the greatest game of all time.

It's not even like comparing a sport with different positions and asking who the best player is... it is like taking positions from DIFFERENT sports and asking who is the best. There isn't any right answer.

I could just as easily claim Superman 64, ET, and Big Rigs are the greatest games of all time, and I wouldn't be any further from the "truth" than you are.

#49 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

Majora's Mask is GOAT because it is the best example of blending atmosphere and story with absolutely superb gameplay. Haven't really seen any other game that does it as well as it.

Also, I seriously doubt that FFVII is worth all they hype. It is probably still great, but I doubt it'd be as amazing if I played it today.

#50 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3976 posts) -

What a shallow reasoning behind Grandfather's status, and it might only be held in such esteem by someone who started watching films from late 60s era onwards and hasn't seen a single film from Europe or rest of the world. If you really love films and can penetrate their deep structures, you'll realize a notion of "the best film" doesn't even exist. Anyway, as far as games are concerned, such claims are equally moronic.

Yeah, it really is stupid. That's how I feel about any artform. It's actually demeaning, expression is supposed to mean diffferent things for different people. How can there be a best film, best song and so on. To an individual sure, but it's a crazy mainstream obsession to do this to everything. I have liked many different films, games and music for many different reasons.

That's why I think awards are rubbish, this isn't the days of the SNES where you have good game and bad game, it's not like that anymore.

How is one persons form of expression vastly better to others in general when each is only trying to meet their own vision.