UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

People are buying COD games every year when it is basically the same game and not only that they are spending even more money on stupid map packs. Every year this garbage game is No1 seller and they are just ripping off the consumer I mean I can buy CS:GO for like 1/8 the price it costs to buy COD and people have been playing that game consistently since 2012. Are people really that stupid to buy the same thing every year just because it is marketed aggressively to them? Are most people that buy these COD games kids and teenagers? I just have to ask this because it doesn't make sense to me how COD is still selling so much I grew out of that a long time ago.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

People are stupid, welcome to Earth.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts

For the exact same reason that people buy Madden every year....

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yes people are brain dead, consumerism is what dictates a persons life now.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Because they like the game and want to play it.

What business is it of yours?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Just like why people keep buying McDonalds over and over

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

A much bigger concern is why people like OP are so concerned with what other people buy. Get a life.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Probably to play and compete with friends. There are variations from year to year, so it's not like it's exactly the same

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

A much bigger concern is why people like OP are so concerned with what other people buy. Get a life.

Because it affects the whole industry.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

My guess is most are just ignorant/uninformed. I don't mean that in a nasty sort of way, just that they are unaware of the variety that is out there, and don't know anything else. Peer pressure probably has a lot to do with it.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanDrakeSwag

@MonsieurX said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Because it affects the whole industry.

No it affects Activision.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

It is not actually mandatory to buy every edition every year. Unbelievable isn't it?! I have bought exactly two Call of Duty games in my life. Black ops2 and Black ops 3. This means that I was in no way burned out from the series when I picked up the latest. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's great for a quick pick up and play for a half hour or so of fun. Are you old enough to remember arcade games? Those were fun right? This is like that. I don't know where you youngsters got the idea that it would be cool and impress people to say you hate a certain game that everyone else sheepishly says the same about while it sells huge. This isn't the punk rock/indie music scene. This isn't preffering craft beer over macro brews. This is video games for ****'s sake!

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag

@Motokid6 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: @DocSanchez:

When it stagnates and promotes apathetic game design it is our business. It is our business to encourage people to try new things so developers can try new things.

A massive problem with consoles is the lack of diversity. All thanks to CoD. Why do people constantly buy them? Because the games marketing is incredibly if not the most aggressive in the industry. Therefore its a matter of the average gamer not knowing any better. How could they?

There is only a lack of diversity to people who can't see beyond the top sellers. CoD is one of the very few FPS that still does huge numbers. Open world games and sports games are the ones really dominating the market.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

My guess is most are just ignorant/uninformed. I don't mean that in a nasty sort of way, just that they are unaware of the variety that is out there, and don't know anything else. Peer pressure probably has a lot to do with it.

Or maybe they just want to "waste time" as some losers put it.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DocSanchez

@Motokid6: But it does none of those things.

Does the existence of Michael Bay's fuckin turtles franchise prevent The Revenant from being made? These are lame arse excuses for snobs who are too embarrassed to admit they like to use other peoples tastes to feel high and mighty. Own your feelings.

The existence of broad games does not affect other games from being made. Fact. This is what some of my pals play in work, they are not serious gamers and enjoy a bit of an online scrap at the end of a hard day.

So what? It's none of your fucking business.

Explain to me how COD prevented The Witcher 3 or Homeworld from being made.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

@DocSanchez: People have different opinions--deal with it. If you find discussing the gaming industry and consumer habits to be off limits, what are you doing here? I've seen you repeatedly question all things related to Nintendo consumers.

You can't sit here and believe that CoD and Activision's success has had zero influence on the industry and what is being made. There are many less Witcher type of games being made these days compared to how many great original games were made in the past.

Games like The Witcher 3 are now more of a fluke, a risk, all because it's easier to make a CoD cookie cutter clone than to go out on a limb and take a chance with something original.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

For me....I never did....before BLOPS.

I really enjoyed the first BLOPS. So much that I bought into the whole "EXPLOSION - CLIMACTIC EVENT - SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!!!" Micheal Bay stuff.

By that time the next gen was nearing and I figured I would buy Ghosts. Then Ghosts was shit. I thought....well...they all can't be zingers.

So I bought AW. And it was...just ok.

Then I rented BLOPS 3....and it was shit.

So now I'm back to not caring at all for COD. But I'll always have the memory of BLOPS.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mark1974

@Bigboi500:

@Bigboi500 said:

@DocSanchez: People have different opinions--deal with it. If you find discussing the gaming industry and consumer habits to be off limits, what are you doing here? I've seen you repeatedly question all things related to Nintendo consumers.

You can't sit here and believe that CoD and Activision's success has had zero influence on the industry and what is being made. There are many less Witcher type of games being made these days compared to how many great original games were made in the past.

Games like The Witcher 3 are now more of a fluke, a risk, all because it's easier to make a CoD cookie cutter clone than to go out on a limb and take a chance with something original.

Is Witcher 3 all that original? I don't think so at all even though I did enjoy playing it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I'm guessing because they enjoy the games and want to play them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@nyadc said:

Lol.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bigboi500

@mark1974 said:

@Bigboi500:

Is Witcher 3 all that original? I don't think so at all even though I did enjoy playing it.

Compared to Madden, Fifa, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed? Yes.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts
@nyadc said:

And what about you?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Consumer whores

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

It's established though scewed media coverage entrenching it in people's mind as a familyer comfort zone.

Bit like GameSpot with Destiny.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mark1974

@Bigboi500 said:
@mark1974 said:

@Bigboi500:

I don't know. Fantasy sword playing video games are about as old and done to death as it gets. They do a lot of things very well in that game but what does it do that others haven't? I hope you are not one of those that look down on indies which is where the real risks are taken.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

I haven't bought a COD since WAW in 08. So im not part of the problem

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bigboi500

@mark1974 said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@mark1974 said:

@Bigboi500:

I don't know. Fantasy sword playing video games are about as old and done to death as it gets. They do a lot of things very well in that game but what does it do that others haven't? I hope you are not one of those that look down on indies which is where the real risks are taken.

Not at all. I appreciate a good indie title, but I'm not one to praise them all just for being different. Especially the ones that have poor gameplay, but make a political statement and get a free pass.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mark1974

@Bigboi500 said:
@mark1974 said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@mark1974 said:

@Bigboi500:

Not at all. I appreciate a good indie title, but I'm not one to praise them all just for being different. Especially the ones that have poor gameplay, but make a political statement and get a free pass.

Fair enough! Cheers.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Because we like it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

for fun?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DocSanchez

@Bigboi500: Who said it was off limits? Stop talking bollocks. I was addressing his opinion.

There has always always been broader games to go along with the more niche games. That's this industry and every entertainment industry there ever was. Give me even a slither of evidence that COD prevents other games from being made or affects their release, beyond conjecture and assumptions from ignorant people who just want to justify their prejudices against people. (who are called the lamentable tag "dude bros" on regular occasion by supreme dullards)

We see less games like The Witcher? Do we? Do we really? Well we had one last year. In fact games like that are the most popular among gamers right now, but I suspect we don't get one a month because of the sheer effort and budget these games take compared to when RPGs were 2D affairs.

What do you want more of and why should the developers of COD stop what they are doing and concentrate on it? Why should people who don't want to play what you think they should drop their COD and play that?

Don't talk rubbish.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@unrealgunner said:

People are buying COD games every year when it is basically the same game and not only that they are spending even more money on stupid map packs. Every year this garbage game is No1 seller and they are just ripping off the consumer I mean I can buy CS:GO for like 1/8 the price it costs to buy COD and people have been playing that game consistently since 2012. Are people really that stupid to buy the same thing every year just because it is marketed aggressively to them? Are most people that buy these COD games kids and teenagers? I just have to ask this because it doesn't make sense to me how COD is still selling so much I grew out of that a long time ago.

You litteraly have the answer in your question.

I saw a kid about 8 or 9 asking for BLOPS 3 for the PS3 in the game store just today.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

It fills it's niche quite well. It is quite objectively the best arcade shooter on the market in most's opinion, and it's fun. What more do you expect?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500

@DocSanchez: Did you game during earlier generations? If so, you are aware of the creative flow of games from those generations. Now compare the multitude of unique games to the remasters and annual franchise sequels we have now. There's a reason so many say there are no games for these new consoles. They mean new, fresh experiences.

People use "dudebro" and "bro gamers" because of those that use such terminology as "weaboo" to describe anything Japanese. You can't have one without the other.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

consoles and kids thats why

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

I saw a kid about 8 or 9 asking for BLOPS 3 for the PS3 in the game store just today.

I thought they might be kids and teens but we are told most gamers are adults I don't actually believe that though I think most gamers who play these online multiplayer games are teens

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mark1974

@Ant_17 said:
@unrealgunner said:

"Are most people that buy these COD games kids and teenagers?"

So the logic goes: Kids are the ones buying COD every year. This is because of their large amount of disposable income? I know there is such a thing as a spoiled brat but that is the reason that it sells so well? For some reason I doubt that. The majority of 8 to 9 year olds make do with what they can get and it's not a new COD every year. Maybe in your neighborhood in Bel Air. No, I think it's more the fact that twenty something "Dude Bros" buy a lot of video games. And more power to them you fools! It actually helps the industry a whole lot more than it hurts it.

Hopeduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hopeduck
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

Marketing. They have a formula that works for them and they're going to stick with it, as long as they offer shinier graphics people will eat it up.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Why do people still play counter strike?? when you answer this you'll get an answer for your question

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mark1974

@hopeduck:

@hopeduck said:

as long as they offer shinier graphics people will eat it up.

Isn't this the whole idea behind buying a super expensive PC? We are told that this is very important!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

There are TWO root feelings in experience. One is FEAR, the other is LOVE. Every single othe name for a feeling is rooted in one of these. People buy COD every year for a sense of JOY, which of course is like enJOYment. Now enjoyment is completely subjective as is ALL entertainment and NEVER needs to be justified to others.

Why do some males desire a woman dressed in latex, to asphyxiate them while penetrating the male rectum with a phallic toy? Its not for me or others to judge. Everyone likes what they like.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MonsieurX

@finalstar2007 said:

Why do people still play counter strike?? when you answer this you'll get an answer for your question

Counter Strike doesn't have a yearly release,been updated for several years.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Counter strike is not being released every year like cod.

I

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Some people buy Madden every year and it's still football. Personally I like the SP campaigns, especially modern warfare. I liked how I might be playing a sniper in one level then a navy seal underwater the next. Overall I think their fun. Now the MP isn't for me. I think it's pretty obvious however that people buy the game every year because they enjoy it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mark1974

And why is it so much better if it doesn't come out every year again? You don't have to buy it. It really sucks when so many people enjoy something you dont? Shit, I hate modern popular music but I'm not trying to deny someone with bad taste their simple, innocent pleasure. But if I did it might pump up my own self worth for being so informed and edgy and annoying enough to tell others how they are wrong? I think I'll attempt to rise above that urge.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#47 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Counter strike gets updates that don't cost $60.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Best reason would be to have a dudebro friend and ask him. Personally, i've heard some casuals in my local EBgames talking about the strengths of the game (such as "amazing graphics") and why they love it so much. I giggled the whole time and tried to stay close to hear all the juicy bits. Cluelessbros are genuinely funny.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@finalstar2007 said:

There's only been four iterations of Counter-Strike in the 15 years it has existed, Condition Zero could realistically be considered an extension of Counter-Strike 1.6. Also people play Counter-Strike for years, decades even, I've been playing steadily since 2001.

This post is created by someone who is clearly uninformed.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DocSanchez
@Bigboi500 said:

@DocSanchez: Did you game during earlier generations? If so, you are aware of the creative flow of games from those generations. Now compare the multitude of unique games to the remasters and annual franchise sequels we have now. There's a reason so many say there are no games for these new consoles. They mean new, fresh experiences.

People use "dudebro" and "bro gamers" because of those that use such terminology as "weaboo" to describe anything Japanese. You can't have one without the other.

I've been gaming for 30 years. I know more about gaming than most. I don't need a patronising lesson.

I am also a realist, who doesn't look at the past with rose tinted spectacles. It's one thing to create a six level 2D platformer, it's another thing entirely to create a proper world. FIFA yearly releases have been a fact of life since 1994. Madden before that. The existence of COD doesn't affect other releases in any way: Most people on here pour scorn on its audience. Ergo, it's not the same people buying it as the games you want. So there is a clear disconnect. People buy what they want, and if there is a market for what you want, it will get made. That's how it works. Yearly releases get made simply because there is an audience. There is still a lot of variety across the board. Games like Red Dead, Mario Kart, Witcher, Tomb Raider (whatever your poison) still get made. So people need to ignore the games they don't like and stop petulantly stereotyping people who play them.

"You can't have one without the other". LOL. What? What argument is that? I don't use terms like weaboo. I don't even know what it means. I don't agree with labelling gamers negatively for what they innocently play, full stop. What is this you? Who are you talking to?