Why do most people dismiss games for being colorful?

• 79 results
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Dismiss = "Treat as unworthy of serious consideration."

Here are some quotes...This is pretty much how most adult gamers are towards "cartoony" looking games....

"Mario 3D World? Nah. Too cartoony. The kids may like it though."

"I like to play War games and shooting games. I don't like the cartoony games."

"Those graphics aren't good at all. They're cartoony."

"I'd play Nintendo games...If I were still 7 years old."

*Ignores Mario, Skylanders, and LittleBigPlanet, swoops over and buys up COD, GTA and Assassin's Creed without thinking twice.*

^^^^^^^ "Why would a 30 year old man want to play something like this?"

*High piched fake voice*

"I don't care if I actually might enjoy the game. If it's cartoony, and kiddy, and colorful, I won't even think about buying it. I won't even look at it. I'm a grown man. I like to play mature games. I ONLY play Mature games. I like Grand Theft Auto! I love Call of Duty. Yeahhhh, Duty!! I want more blood and real looking-ish graphics in my games, not these cartoon looking kiddy games."

"I want a GROWN UP experience. I like a real story. And REAL looking people. Not this fantasy fairy tale looking bullcrap. That's for children. I'm a grown man. I want games for grown men. Games that are super mature...Like..Uh...Shooting games! And War games! And games that look like Movies! And games that are super easy. And super violent. Yeah! I don't like games with colorful-ish art styles. They're just for the kids. As a 30 year old grown man, I'll only buy "Mature" games with grown up experinces...Like grey shooters and games with M samped on the box. Because those are games are mature, and they have things in them that only adult gamers can understand."

"Why? Because I'm a grown man. I'm an adult. Anything less and I won't even try to get into it. Those games are just for kids and nobody else."

Are you kidding me?!! Get real people, get real.

Why do most people turn away from games just because of the way they look?

I understand if you can't get into the gameplay and you just don't like the game, that's perfectly fine. But not even trying to get into a game that you may even end up enjoying JUST because of the way it looks? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

inb4cslewis

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I prefer my games to be colorful

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i dont dismiss mario because its colourful, i dismiss it because im not 10 anymore. lol platformers

if u dont like platformers the wii ew is literally worthless

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

I like colourful artwork but dislike teletubby artwork. There is a difference and nintendos games are targeted at toddlers which reflects in its artwork.

Teletubby artwork:

Colourful artwork:

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

I understand if you can't get into the gameplay and you just don't like the game, that's perfectly fine. But not even trying to get into a game that you may even end up enjoying JUST because of the way it looks? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's not that stupid. Video games are also a visual and auditory medium. If you have a hard time looking or listening to a game, then your're not going to like it.

Dragon's Crown may be the best 2D brawler ever, but I HATE the way the characters look. The males are all grotesque over the top beef machines and the women all look slutty and overly erotic.

I had a lot of trouble playing through Bionic Commando rearmed because of it's music. The game has this somewhat realistic artstyle clashing together with retro 8 bit tunes. It's super distracting and feels out of place to me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

It's not that stupid. Video games are also a visual and auditory medium. If you have a hard time looking or listening at a game, then your're not going to like it.

Dragon's Crown may be the best 2D brawler ever, but I HATE the way the characters look. The males are all grotesque over the top beef machines and the women all look slutty and overly erotic.

I had a lot of trouble playing through Bionic Commando rearmed because of it's music. The game has this somewhat realistic artstyle clashing together with retro 8 bit tunes. It's super distracting and feels out of place to me.

You can't be serious? Dragon's Crown was awesome and the characters were okay to me.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I would never dislike a Nintendo game for being colorful. I dislike most of them because of ridiculous, braindead dialogues that even children should consider stupid and characters making annoying noises that hurt my ears and my brain instead of having proper voice acting.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
@davillain- said:

You can't be serious? Dragon's Crown was awesome and the characters were okay to me.

Word.

Sorceress master race.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
@davillain- said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

It's not that stupid. Video games are also a visual and auditory medium. If you have a hard time looking or listening at a game, then your're not going to like it.

I disagree too, vanillaware has some of the most unique and beautiful artstyles you can find in gaming, but I understand if some people dont find it too appealing in terms of character design even if I have no problem with them.

Edit: Here is one I shudder to: (Funny, because I have no problem with the spiderlady in dark souls)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@freedomfreak said:

@davillain- said:

Word.

Sorceress master race.

I couldn't agree more.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Proof that most people think that?

Not true at all.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@davillain- said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Well, that's your opinion.

I personally think this

and this

look really dumb.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak

Nice.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@JangoWuzHere said:

@davillain- said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

I personally think this

and this

look really dumb.

Looks good. Hey art is art to the artiest.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheGreatGeneral
@JangoWuzHere said:

I personally think this

and this

look really dumb.

Looks great to me.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere

@davillain- said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@davillain- said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

I personally think this

and this

look really dumb.

Looks good. Hey art is art to the artiest.

Sure, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. A lot of people don't like the art of anime or overly grey looking video game worlds. I dislike this kind of over the top character design.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGeneral

@JangoWuzHere: What about muramusa? Do you dislike the artstyle there too?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JangoWuzHere

@thegreatgeneral said:

No

I thought I was also pretty clear when I said that I disliked the character designs in Dragon's Crown. Never said anything about the rest of the art.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Plenty of people bitch about gray as **** shooters. Get real.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because people are insecure about their maturity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Somewhere along the line, they forgot what fun was. Now the poor bastards think the mud spectrum is the best shit ever.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

What world do you live in? Last generation the entire internet was flooded with people complaining about the "brown and bloom". Games have moved towards a much more colorful palette since the middle of last gen because of this.

Color palette is only a part of the artstyle for a game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#25 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Because those are girly girl games and not hardcore manly man games with big muscles.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGreatGeneral

@JangoWuzHere: Its just that every vanillaware game has exegerated characters so I just wondered just now why you pointed out dragons crown. From the artstyle not much changed.

Odin sphere:

Muramusa:

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Games dont have to be kiddy Mario games to be colorful. The last Dragon Age game, Assassins Creed, Farcry 4 etc is very colorful compared to graybrown games like Gears of war

Cartoon and colorful is not same thing, you can make something Cartoon with barely no colors at all

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Dragon's Crown is a visual fucking masterpiece! Its a small miracle that a product like this even exists and it should be celebrated for being released untainted and unchanged by marketing committees or the politically correct police force.

As it should be, its art delivered as the artist intended. With a style and message that makes no fucking apologies for what its very clearly portraying. Major kudos to Vanillaware. Love everything about that game.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PikachuDude860

@JangoWuzHere said:

@pikachudude860 said:

It's not that stupid. Video games are also a visual and auditory medium. If you have a hard time looking or listening to a game, then your're not going to like it.

I get where your coming from. I didn't care for DMC's archaic style. However, I rather enjoyed the game after playing it for a while.

To each their own, I suppose.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere

@thegreatgeneral said:

@JangoWuzHere: Its just that every vanillaware game has exegerated characters so I just wondered just now why you pointed out dragons crown. From the artstyle not much changed.

I haven't played Odin Sphere and I spent very little time with Muramasa, so I wouldn't know.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Just got done with Sunset Overdrive, very colorful game. Good bit of fun. Before playing it I thought it looked like a sandbox inspired by 90s Nickelodeon game shows.

I don't think of Nintendo games as appealing to kids, or at least not as much as Nintendo might want it to. I think it's nostalgia appeal props it up with older gamers. Kids themselves don't like being kids, they wanna play the mature stuff, and I don't see Nintendo games as having appeal toward kids at all.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloud_imperium

There is nothing wrong with cartoony art style, as long as gameplay mechanics are good. People hate what they can't play. Only few criticize after playing the themselves. Even then most of the time it is matter of preference than actual flaw.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud_imperium

There is nothing wrong with cartoony art style, as long as gameplay mechanics are good. People hate what they can't play. Only few criticize after playing the themselves. Even then most of the time it is matter of preference than actual flaw.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PikachuDude860

@naz99 said:

Proof that most people think that?

Not true at all.

You'll have to take my word for it..For whatever it's worth.

I've seen plenty of people dismiss these kind of games, especially Nintendo games, because of various reasons.

Not EVERYBODY has this mindset. But you can't compare a couple hundred people on Gamespot to the millions of people around the world. Do millions of people feel this way? I dunno. But the mindset is out there...And it makes me sick.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i dont dismiss mario because its colourful, i dismiss it because im not 10 anymore. lol platformers

lol. See? This is just what I'm talking about. "Well, if it's a platformer, it automatically sucks! Platformers are for 10 year olds." lol.

If platformers aren't your thing, that's fine. I understand. Everybody has different tastes. But a good game shouldn't be dismissed just because of it's genre.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Do people really do this? Can't say I've seen a trend of people dismissing a games overall quality because of color... Wasn't rayman incredibly well received? Mario Galaxy? Shit, even Prince of Persia 2008, despite its craptastic Nolan North prince and lack of death penalty was praised FOR its delightful color pallet.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PikachuDude860

@lamprey263 said:

Just got done with Sunset Overdrive, very colorful game. Good bit of fun. Before playing it I thought it looked like a sandbox inspired by 90s Nickelodeon game shows.

I don't think of Nintendo games as appealing to kids, or at least not as much as Nintendo might want it to. I think it's nostalgia appeal props it up with older gamers. Kids themselves don't like being kids, they wanna play the mature stuff, and I don't see Nintendo games as having appeal toward kids at all.

I don't see Nintendo games apealing to the kids of today either. I think that the style of both Nintendo's games, and other games like Tearaway and Sunset overdrive can only TRULY be appreciated by older gamers.

Kids these days don't care about graphics, music, quality, level design, or gameplay. They only care about new "cool" looking games that will keep them from jumping up and down like mexican jumping beans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@thegreatgeneral said:

Muramusa was tasteful.... dragon's crown... in terms of characters and risque "reward art" was not.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

The fact that you can't base an argument on why you dislike something without childishly mocking the console's name shows your lack of maturity.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGreatGeneral

@MBirdy88: So, you would call this artwork tasteful but dragons crowns "reward art"? Thats what I dont understand. Kitami was always risky in his artwork and he stayed true to himself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@thegreatgeneral said:

@MBirdy88: So, you would call this artwork tasteful but dragons crowns "reward art"? Thats what I dont understand. Kitami was always risky in his artwork and he stayed true to himself.

hmmm never saw that ingame.... good old Japanese.

Well, in general its more subtle .. this is an exception.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

It is not most people. It is only really most people that troll forums and the follower 14-22 year old set. That age group is obsessed with being cool at any cost. Outside of that group, people do not care as much what others think and just play what is fun.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

lol. See? This is just what I'm talking about. "Well, if it's a platformer, it automatically sucks! Platformers are for 10 year olds." lol.

If platformers aren't your thing, that's fine. I understand. Everybody has different tastes. But a good game shouldn't be dismissed just because of it's genre.

''But a good game shouldn't be dismissed just because of it's genre.'' < but i dont like the genre than i can dismiss the game. just like most of the world is dismissing wii ew. simple

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

The fact that you can't base an argument on why you dislike something without childishly mocking the console's name shows your lack of maturity.

lol at ur whole post. just lol

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Because people are insecure about their maturity.

^ This... and because gamers who like color games should be able to dictate what others gamers SHOULD like. Specifically NINTENDO should be able to dictate to gamers what gamers SHOULD like.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts

It's not only about graphics, but also about storyline and gameplay. Personally, I do not have any problems with colorful graphics as in Day of the Tentacle or Bioshock Infinite, but I *do* have a problem with storylines on the level of fairytales for kindergarden kids. I prefer storylines with real suspense.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Ive seen people like that. My brother can often come off as that kind of person. Those people are called shallow.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

it really depends on te game, i loved wind waker while i thought sunset overdrive was just trying too hard (really hard, like desperate hard) to be cool.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Cartoony like Wind Waker and colorful are 2 different things.

Also, aesthetics are very important.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#49 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Because most people put social status and what appeals to them first over exploring something out of their comfort zone, not to mention there are some games on the colorful spectrum that to me are legitimately ugh.

Still don't know why I bought Atelier. Anyways, I don't fault those people. It's cool with me, it's just video games. I play what I want when I want, and usually let others do too. I do, however, grief my sister a lot for just playing games on her iPhone when there's a huge amount of games with higher depth out there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Because good, is dumb.