Why do gaming pc's with better hardware than ps3...

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.RyviusARC
Recording at such a high resolution will cause lower frame rate (games run at much higher frame rate when not recording) but I do not see any screen tearing in those videos. Maybe you think screen tearing is something else. The specs I used while recording those was. Athlon II x3 435 (3.2ghz) GTX 275 3gigs of DDR2 800mhz If those don't look too good then Uncharted 3 must make your eyes bleed.

Vanilla Crysis looks waaay better.  Now it's time for modded Crysis.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
You're gaming on a laptop...there's your problem.mitu123
That pretty much sums it up. There goes OP's argument.
Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

This thread is not worth posting in...

DAMNIT, I just did!!!!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Why do gaming PCs with better hardware than PS3 or 360 have games that run so bad, and look even worse at 720p? I mean UC3 looks so crisp compared to my crysis or gta4 on pc. I mean even with a $1000 pc, games don't look as good as UC3 without a performance hit. Why is that? I'm just wondering....not hating.

UNcartMe
That would be subjective. You have to compare the same or similar assets on both platforms.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Then why did you make a thread about gaming PCs not performing very well when your basis is a non-gaming laptop?lostrib

This thread just fails. This guy doesn't know much about hardware (doesn't even know what TurboBoost is, not that it really does anything that helps enough to care). Mobile GPUs are just... not good.

God this thread makes my head hurt. According to Toms Hardware GPU hierarchy, the 540m is about the same as like a 7800 GTX or 7900GT so not that much more powerful (probably about the same) than the PS3 GPU

Tom's Hardware GPU hierarchy is flawed. Btw, PS3's RSX has the same GPUclock speed as Geforce 7900M GTX i.e. G71 @500Mhz. RSX's ROPs(raster ops units)is about Geforce 7600 GT levels.

My Radeon HD 5730M = Radeon HD 5570 desktop blows away Geforce 7900GTX 512MB.

In 3DMarks 2006, Radeon HD 5730M scores about 8060 points while Geforce 7900GTX 512MB scores about 5200 points.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

-100000000000000000000000000000000000/10.

Get out, baby's first troll.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ronvalencia

Why do gaming PCs with better hardware than PS3 or 360 have games that run so bad, and look even worse at 720p? I mean UC3 looks so crisp compared to my crysis or gta4 on pc. I mean even with a $1000 pc, games don't look as good as UC3 without a performance hit. Why is that? I'm just wondering....not hating.

UNcartMe

On similar data assets, your GT540M plays Crysis 2 or BattleField 3 better than PS3's version. Btw, Battlefield 3's deferred rendering engine runs on SPUs.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10417 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

UNcartMe

It sounds to me like you simply don't know much about hardware. A $1000 PC can run not just Crysis, but many other games that will leave U3 looking last-gen.

i do know about hardware

evidently you dont

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.RyviusARC
Recording at such a high resolution will cause lower frame rate (games run at much higher frame rate when not recording) but I do not see any screen tearing in those videos. Maybe you think screen tearing is something else. The specs I used while recording those was. Athlon II x3 435 (3.2ghz) GTX 275 3gigs of DDR2 800mhz If those don't look too good then Uncharted 3 must make your eyes bleed.

On similar city scape scenes, refer to Mirror's Edge.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

i just made crysis run and look well on my laptop/hdtv. on the res i put 1176x664 which my tv upscaled to 1280x720! i put 1280x720 setting, but my tv says not supported for some reason. next i made sure that my laptop was plugged in, then i closed the lid of my laptop and put it on full screen.

I have everything on high except medium shadow, medium physics, low post processing, medium water quality, and medium motion blur. vsync off, aa off as well. it runs super smooth with slight screen tearing and looks very good!

My Radeon HD 5730M's 1280x720p output is fine on my Sony HDTV (1080p capable).
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]nvidia gt540m gpu 1gb of memory intel i7 @ 2.0GHz 6gb ram. i mean these specs are already better than ps3 aren't they? UNcartMe

Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming.

well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

well i rally didnt by it 4 gamin butt My $600 ps3 plays uncharted3 on my 60in tv like crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

UNcartMe

I know what you mean. Even with a decent pc you still experience a lot of fps hiccups and whatnot. The increased resolution can also glarify the lower resolution texture assets. People need to start posting videos instead of pics, from the pc games. I'm not doubting how much better the games can look a lot of the times, but I wonder who is actually playing them proper.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
If Uncharted 3 looks better than Crysis does on your PC, then it is time you bought a new PC because the one you have a is a piece of crap.
ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts
Can't believe so many have fallen for this post! Looks at user level, amount of posts and then users forum name.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
TC, Ive noticed what you are saying, but its not that the PC versions look worse. The console version is optimised for one set of hardware, The PC version of any game can never be. The result is that some PC's wil perform better than others. I would suggest your PC needs a bit of work to get the best from it. If you have a hi end PC, it will always produce better visuals than a console if the devs want it too.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BibiMaghoo
Can't believe so many have fallen for this post! Looks at user level, amount of posts and then users forum name. ccagracing
I hate this stuff. What? so because someone is a lower level than you and has less posts, they shouldnt be taken seriously. GTFO elitist dog lol. I hope a level 50 with 10000 posts ripps you for being a low level and post count....
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"] I hate this stuff. What? so because someone is a lower level than you and has less posts, they shouldnt be taken seriously. GTFO elitist dog lol. I hope a level 50 with 10000 posts ripps you for being a low level and post count....

If I remember my older account I could do that. My oldest account is long gone though. It was created around the first or second year that Gamespot came out with a forum section.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

Optimisation of the hardware.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 RyviusARC
Optimisation of the hardware.BigBoss154
A good multiplatform game will run just as well on PC as with a console even when using similar hardware. The only thing it needs more of is RAM, but you don't need as much as those false PC system requirements suggest.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BibiMaghoo
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"] I hate this stuff. What? so because someone is a lower level than you and has less posts, they shouldnt be taken seriously. GTFO elitist dog lol. I hope a level 50 with 10000 posts ripps you for being a low level and post count....

If I remember my older account I could do that.

If I could 'like' your post sir, I damn well would.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
A laptop with a weak GPU? mmk
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#72 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

UNcartMe

95% of PC Gamers run games in a higher resolution than 720p. 24% run games in 1080p, which has twice the amount of pixels as 720p. That's twice as crisp. Every single game on the PS3 looks like a blurry jagged mess compared to the PC counterpart...and that's before we even talk about the FPS and the rest of the settings. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

PC Gamers were using higher resolutions than 720p regularly 10 years ago.

Source - Steam Hardware survey.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

UNcartMe

Because PC gamers think graphics = resolution

They post pictures of Crysis and that fugly "realistic" GTA mod thinking they're impressing people.

Crysis is about as good as Crysis 2 ie they both suck.

Witcher 2 also sucks.

Of course not all PC games suck, there's quite a few good ones, but they're good in the sense that they are deep and rich, not that they look as good as Uncharted or Heavy Rain.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

Typical console thinking. The affordable laptop PC equals the best that PC gaming has to offer. For someone who "knows" about hardware you should be able to realize that laptops don't exactly provide the best in computing power. They are meant for portability and convenience. The same as a console. If you were to use around the same amount of money on desktop hardware you would see a remarkable increase in quality and performance.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BibiMaghoo

Typical console thinking. The affordable laptop PC equals the best that PC gaming has to offer. For someone who "knows" about hardware you should be able to realize that laptops don't exactly provide the best in computing power. They are meant for portability and convenience. The same as a console. If you were to use around the same amount of money on desktop hardware you would see a remarkable increase in quality and performance.

menes777
you are aware you can get gaming laptops right? Granted they are expensive compared to a desktop of equal power, but laptops shouldnt be dismissed, I know people with high end laptops that are used for gaming. My laptop is low end now, but a few years ago it wasnt, and I played games like Dead Space max settings. People are to quick to dismiss laptops as gaming machines.
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

BibiMaghoo

you are aware you can get gaming laptops right? Granted they are expensive compared to a desktop of equal power, but laptops shouldnt be dismissed, I know people with high end laptops that are used for gaming. My laptop is low end now, but a few years ago it wasnt, and I played games like Dead Space max settings. People are to quick to dismiss laptops as gaming machines.

True, but still the point remains. Laptops are more for convenience and not for power. You get people who buy a laptop (PC) thinking that they are going to get better performance but end up disappointed because they didn't want to spend the amount you would need to get high level performance. They don't understand that if you want cheap and powerful you can't get a laptop, you need to custom build a desktop. Powerful laptop and affordable prices just don't go together, but to make a benchmark off of that and claim you know about hardware is just false.

Yes, there are some really great laptops for gaming out there if you want to pay the price. The problem is that most people don't want to pay that price (or can't afford to).

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 RyviusARC
They post pictures of Crysis and that fugly "realistic" GTA mod thinking they're impressing people.ZombieKiller7
....yah fugly.....right.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 04dcarraher  Online
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

It does not take rocket science to understand whats behind the hood of the PS3 and a PC. PS3 only has 512mb of memory that's separated into 256mb and 256mb for system and video use. Also The Video memory used only does 22 Gb/s, and the GPU (RSX) in the PS3 is a gimped(downgraded) G70 chipset (Geforce 7800).

A video card with higher memory bandwidth can draw faster and draw higher quality images which means at 22GB/s and its 256mb of memory limits the PS3 in resolutions, draw distances,amount of objects rendered at any scene, and texture quality. (The Xbox 360 is in the same boat as the PS3) The 7800GTX from 2005 has 512mb of memory and does 52GB/s memory bandwidth. Any high end GPU from 2006 onward just decimates The PS3 and 360's graphical capabilities.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]They post pictures of Crysis and that fugly "realistic" GTA mod thinking they're impressing people.RyviusARC
....yah fugly.....right.

Yes, fugly and boorish.

Don't you think that if the devs wanted "realistic" cars they would have put them in?

What's next, you gonna use a mod to replace Niko Belic with pictures of George Clooney?

Also stop spamming the forums with that trash.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#80 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="ccagracing"]Can't believe so many have fallen for this post! Looks at user level, amount of posts and then users forum name. BibiMaghoo
I hate this stuff. What? so because someone is a lower level than you and has less posts, they shouldnt be taken seriously. GTFO elitist dog lol. I hope a level 50 with 10000 posts ripps you for being a low level and post count....

How about one near 100k?;)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 04dcarraher  Online
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]They post pictures of Crysis and that fugly "realistic" GTA mod thinking they're impressing people.ZombieKiller7

....yah fugly.....right.

Yes, fugly and boorish.

Don't you think that if the devs wanted "realistic" cars they would have put them in?

What's next, you gonna use a mod to replace Niko Belic with pictures of George Clooney?

You are just jealous plain and simple.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 RyviusARC
[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"] ....yah fugly.....right.04dcarraher

Yes, fugly and boorish.

You are just jealous plain and simple.

I love the sound of jealousy in the morning. Sadly the devs couldn't use those car models because consoles couldn't handle it. Consoles could barely handle one of those car models in photo viewer mode for Forza 4 and GTA 5.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 BibiMaghoo

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"][QUOTE="ccagracing"]Can't believe so many have fallen for this post! Looks at user level, amount of posts and then users forum name. mitu123

How about one near 100k?;)

Yes, that will do :)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] You are just jealous plain and simple. ZombieKiller7

I love the sound of jealousy in the morning. Sadly the devs couldn't use those car models because consoles couldn't handle it. Consoles could barely handle one of those car models in photo viewer mode for Forza 4 and GTA 5.

Yes, I live in Africa on 50 cents a day.

We don't have PC's here, just crappy consoles.

My name is Manmeat, would you be my sponsor?

For less than the price of a cup of coffee, I could be playing a pirated copy of GTA IV with the realism mod.

Kevin Butler is here, he wants to touch my pee pee. I have to go now.

what an intelligent and mature comeback for someone who just got proven the capabilities of a PC game
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RyviusARC
[QUOTE="wis3boi"] what an intelligent and mature comeback for someone who just got proven the capabilities of a PC game

Doesn't really matter if he has one or not. A PS3 fanboy will hate on Gears of War 3 not because he couldn't afford an Xbox 360 but because he is a PS3 fanboy. Same goes for the Xbox 360 fanboy hating on Uncharted 3. They are only loyal to their brand.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I love how people are comparing a game like Uncharted 3 which is EXTREMELY linear to a game like Crysis that is open ended. Of course Uncharted looks great they only have to worry about small areas instead of generating a huge map like Crysis.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Yes, I live in Africa on 50 cents a day.

We don't have PC's here, just crappy consoles.

My name is Manmeat, would you be my sponsor?

For less than the price of a cup of coffee, I could be playing a pirated copy of GTA IV with the realism mod.

Kevin Butler is here, he wants to touch my pee pee. I have to go now.

ZombieKiller7

what an intelligent and mature comeback for someone who just got proven the capabilities of a PC game

You retards do understand that I own a PC right?

Yep, I'm totally a retard Help me. I'm in serious peril.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] what an intelligent and mature comeback for someone who just got proven the capabilities of a PC gameRyviusARC
Doesn't really matter if he has one or not. A PS3 fanboy will hate on Gears of War 3 not because he couldn't afford an Xbox 360 but because he is a PS3 fanboy. Same goes for the Xbox 360 fanboy hating on Uncharted 3. They are only loyal to their brand.

Loyalty to one's own preferences maybe.

I'm not the one trying to talk you into liking anything.

You're trying to talk me into liking what you like.

Capiche?

I honestly don't care what system people play on, but I'm dealing with elitist douchenuggets that can't leave other people alone, that have to bash their systems and say "nya nya look at our version" like some third grader.

Graphics and resolution is not the same thing.

When there is artwork involved and aesthetics, it's possible for a low rez game to make you say 'wow, that looks great.'

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ZombieKiller7

Yep, I'm totally a retard Help me. I'm in serious peril.wis3boi

What an intelligent and mature comeback for someone who just got proven the capabilities of console gaming.

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="themyth01"] Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..UNcartMe
on a 42 inch hdtv, uc3 looks and performs better than crysis on a $1000 pc. i mean it looks good, but once all the settings are turned up, it takes a hit and just doesn't run smooth. i set my setting to 720p, because at 1080p it performs horrid. but at 720p, it doesn't look crisp and idk why. i guess uc3 is just optimized so well

Turning up the graphics makes the game run worse? You don't say!
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#93 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming.ferret-gamer
well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

It sounds to me like you simply don't know much about hardware. A $1000 PC can run not just Crysis, but many other games that will leave U3 looking last-gen.

but with a mobile graphics card performance takes a hit as opposed to a desk top. the same model card on a desk top would perform noticably better. thats just how laptops are. when people say a "1000$ pc" they really have to specify the specs or what type of computer it is. just because you paid a grand for it doesnt make it good by any means...baisicly hes got a 1000$ laptop that CAN play games but isnt really built for that sole purpose. they are impressive specs for a laptop though.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="UNcartMe"][QUOTE="Marka1700"]Gaming grade hardware for laptops is significantly more expansive then desktop.ferret-gamer
i know, but i have no need for some big machine you know. college :(

Then why did you make a thread about gaming PCs not performing very well when your basis is a non-gaming laptop?

indeed
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

90% of people would be better served with a cheap, but powerflul desktop (can be small form factor if space is a concern, you don't need a full tower with 10 hard drives after all). and a truly mobile platform as a sidekick. That could be a smartphone or a tablet for most, mabe an ultra thin notebook for others.

But no, instead people buy into the whole, MUST BE A LAPTOP! mentality and end up buyong a chepa one that falls short on the performance they want, or a behemoth that over heats, and is cumbersome to move around.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

90% of people would be better served with a cheap, but powerflul desktop (can be small form factor if space is a concern, you don't need a full tower with 10 hard drives after all). and a truly mobile platform as a sidekick. That could be a smartphone or a tablet for most, mabe an ultra thin notebook for others.

But no, instead people buy into the whole, MUST BE A LAPTOP! mentality and end up buyong a chepa one that falls short on the performance they want, or a behemoth that over heats, and is cumbersome to move around.

Kinthalis
exactly. I have a good desktop and for a mobile platform i have a cheap 300euros laptop plus my smartphone. Between those 3 i dont see any reason to own anything else like consoles, tablets, gaming laptops . In fact with smartphones becoming that powerful and ability to connect to tv's,monitors i actually dont see my self buying a laptop again
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ronvalencia

Kinthalis

GT540M is NVIDIA's best 35 watt level GPU. Radeon HD 5730M/6570M is about same level as GT540M, but consumes 26 watts.

Radeon HD 5830M consumes 25 watts.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

adamosmaki

exactly. I have a good desktop and for a mobile platform i have a cheap 300euros laptop plus my smartphone. Between those 3 i dont see any reason to own anything else like consoles, tablets, gaming laptops . In fact with smartphones becoming that powerful and ability to connect to tv's,monitors i actually dont see my self buying a laptop again

ARM Cortex A9's SunSpider benchmarks says Hi.

SunSpider JavaScript benchmark result for Intel Atom Z670 vs ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core. Both has Android 3.1

-------

Using Android 3.0.1

(Smaller is better)

True mobile/"on the road" PC gaming is delivered by AMD A8 APUs. I'm waiting for AMD Trinity APU.

Tom's hardware link

The power use in the above graph is a result of a controlled test on an external monitor, so we repeated this metric again, this time using the laptop's own display. The A8-3500M laptop lasted two hours and 12 minutes. Assuming the Intel laptop used the exact same battery, it would run for one hour and 22 minutes.

This is very impressive. Not only does the A8-3500M get about twice as much time out of its battery, it does so while delivering far better graphics performance. The implications of this are profound: a Llano laptop user might be able to play a mainstream 3D game for an entire two-hour flight with decent frame rates, while the Intel Core i5-based platform would only last for half of the flight with choppy performance. There does, in fact, seem to be validity in AMD's excitement over its improved power story, and of course this is a real advantage when it comes to mobile devices

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Killzone 3 perhaps but not so much Uncharted 3

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

ronvalencia

True mobile/"on the road" PC gaming is delivered by AMD A8 APUs. I'm waiting for AMD Trinity APU.

Tom's hardware link

The power use in the above graph is a result of a controlled test on an external monitor, so we repeated this metric again, this time using the laptop's own display. The A8-3500M laptop lasted two hours and 12 minutes. Assuming the Intel laptop used the exact same battery, it would run for one hour and 22 minutes.

This is very impressive. Not only does the A8-3500M get about twice as much time out of its battery, it does so while delivering far better graphics performance. The implications of this are profound: a Llano laptop user might be able to play a mainstream 3D game for an entire two-hour flight with decent frame rates, while the Intel Core i5-based platform would only last for half of the flight with choppy performance. There does, in fact, seem to be validity in AMD's excitement over its improved power story, and of course this is a real advantage when it comes to mobile devices

That's what my home Theater PC runs. And I'm satisfied with the performance. A bit better than consoles in GPU, way better than consoles in CPU, and does all those other great home theater PC stuff. The A8 chip only ran me $99 on a sale too.