Why do gaming pc's with better hardware than ps3...

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

Why do gaming PCs with better hardware than PS3 or 360 have games that run so bad, and look even worse at 720p? I mean UC3 looks so crisp compared to my crysis or gta4 on pc. I mean even with a $1000 pc, games don't look as good as UC3 without a performance hit. Why is that? I'm just wondering....not hating.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Are you talking about Vanilla GTA you must be :)

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter

No dude don't try to take on pc graphics man just don't you'll get beaten to death with our pics

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UNcartMe
Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..themyth01
on a 42 inch hdtv, uc3 looks and performs better than crysis on a $1000 pc. i mean it looks good, but once all the settings are turned up, it takes a hit and just doesn't run smooth. i set my setting to 720p, because at 1080p it performs horrid. but at 720p, it doesn't look crisp and idk why. i guess uc3 is just optimized so well
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..UNcartMe
on a 42 inch hdtv, uc3 looks and performs better than crysis on a $1000 pc. i mean it looks good, but once all the settings are turned up, it takes a hit and just doesn't run smooth. i set my setting to 720p, because at 1080p it performs horrid. but at 720p, it doesn't look crisp and idk why. i guess uc3 is just optimized so well

mind telling us the specs of this "$1000" PC?

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UNcartMe

NoodleFighter
yea i can run everything on high at 720p, but at 1080p, i have to make shadows on either medium or low. it doesn't look that much better than the 360 version of gta4. wtf is this?
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UNcartMe

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"][QUOTE="themyth01"] Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..lawlessx

nvidia gt540m gpu 1gb of memory intel i7 @ 2.0GHz 6gb ram. i mean these specs are already better than ps3 aren't they?
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Crytek is not very good at optimization and crysis is there worst optimized game especially in dx10. Modders have made config files tiny kilobyte text files that tweak the game settings to perform better while looking far better then vanilla settings but that being said what are the specs of this $1000 pc? The below video is crysis running smoothly at 1920x1080(ignore quad HD did it for the hits) on a PC with a 5770 1gb,Quad core + 3gb ram using one of those config files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTgIvVs5tYY

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

inb4picsorgtfo :lol:

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

UNcartMe

yea i can run everything on high at 720p, but at 1080p, i have to make shadows on either medium or low. it doesn't look that much better than the 360 version of gta4. wtf is this?

Vanilla GTA

Enhanced GTA

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]on a 42 inch hdtv, uc3 looks and performs better than crysis on a $1000 pc. i mean it looks good, but once all the settings are turned up, it takes a hit and just doesn't run smooth. i set my setting to 720p, because at 1080p it performs horrid. but at 720p, it doesn't look crisp and idk why. i guess uc3 is just optimized so wellUNcartMe

nvidia gt540m gpu 1gb of memory intel i7 @ 2.0GHz 6gb ram. i mean these specs are already better than ps3 aren't they?

Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming. It is close to the power of a PS3, but not noticably better. A $1000 desktop would streamroll any console with extreme ease

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UNcartMe

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"][QUOTE="lawlessx"]

ferret-gamer

Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming.

well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]nvidia gt540m gpu 1gb of memory intel i7 @ 2.0GHz 6gb ram. i mean these specs are already better than ps3 aren't they? UNcartMe

well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

It sounds to me like you simply don't know much about hardware. A $1000 PC can run not just Crysis, but many other games that will leave U3 looking last-gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]nvidia gt540m gpu 1gb of memory intel i7 @ 2.0GHz 6gb ram. i mean these specs are already better than ps3 aren't they? UNcartMe

Your processor is fine for most games running on high or max, but your GPU is quite weak by gaming standards, only capable of running games slightly better than a PS3.
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UNcartMe

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"][QUOTE="themyth01"] Compared to Crysis??? hmm... yeah..DJ_Headshot

Crytek is not very good at optimization and crysis is there worst optimized game especially in dx10. Modders have made config files tiny kilobyte text files that tweak the game settings to perform better while looking far better then vanilla settings but that being said what are the specs of this $1000 pc? The below video is crysis running smoothly at 1920x1080(ignore quad HD did it for the hits) on a PC with a 5770 1gb,Quad core + 3gb ram using one of those config files.

mine is a sony vaio f series gt540m 1gb i7 @ 2.0GHz with turbo boost 6GB RAM

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UNcartMe
[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming.themyth01

It sounds to me like you simply don't know much about hardware. A $1000 PC can run not just Crysis, but many other games that will leave U3 looking last-gen.

i do know about hardware, but i wanted a laptop and not gaming rig or build my on pc. i prefer laptops, and anything better than the one i got is a lot more.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Gaming grade hardware for laptops is significantly more expansive then desktop.
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UNcartMe
Gaming grade hardware for laptops is significantly more expansive then desktop.Marka1700
i know, but i have no need for some big machine you know. college :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
[QUOTE="Marka1700"]Gaming grade hardware for laptops is significantly more expansive then desktop.UNcartMe

Then why did you make a thread about gaming PCs not performing very well when your basis is a non-gaming laptop?
demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Some developers dont put enough love into PC versions of games. GTA 4 is and EXCELLENT example of that, the game runs terrible even on modern systems. Batman Arkham City is another example of a PC version that isnt very optimized, the DX11 mode is broken for one thing.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
Crysis 1 looks much better than Uncharted 3 and I am only using a video card I bought for 75USD to play it. I even recorded some gameplay footage. Make sure to watch it in "Original" resolution mode which is above 1080P. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkg97aDr9k Heck I was more impressed with the PC version of Sonic Generations than Uncharted 3. Another video recorded by me that should be watched in "Original" 1200P resolution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9myMkO9lk
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

I have a $1,400 dlls PC and totally and completely destroy the PS3 in graphics, By a far margin. I prefer playing in a console though

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RyviusARC
Some developers dont put enough love into PC versions of games. GTA 4 is and EXCELLENT example of that, the game runs terrible even on modern systems. Batman Arkham City is another example of a PC version that isnt very optimized, the DX11 mode is broken for one thing.demonic_85
GTA IV runs well after the patches.
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UNcartMe

Crysis 1 looks much better than Uncharted 3 and I am only using a video card I bought for 75USD to play it. I even recorded some gameplay footage. Make sure to watch it in "Original" resolution mode which is above 1080P. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkg97aDr9kwhat settings are you running that at? and what are your specs? i mean the graphics are better than ps3, but the screen tearing and all that looks bad to me, especially when using a mouse! Heck I was more impressed with the PC version of Sonic Generations than Uncharted 3. Another video recorded by me that should be watched in "Original" 1200P resolution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9myMkO9lkRyviusARC
what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UNcartMe
[QUOTE="demonic_85"]Some developers dont put enough love into PC versions of games. GTA 4 is and EXCELLENT example of that, the game runs terrible even on modern systems. Batman Arkham City is another example of a PC version that isnt very optimized, the DX11 mode is broken for one thing.RyviusARC
GTA IV runs well after the patches.

how do i get the patches?
Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

No dude don't try to take on pc graphics man just don't you'll get beaten to death with our pics

NoodleFighter

I must be tired because when I read that I replaced the 'p' in pics with a 'd'. >.>

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RyviusARC
what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.UNcartMe
Recording at such a high resolution will cause lower frame rate (games run at much higher frame rate when not recording) but I do not see any screen tearing in those videos. Maybe you think screen tearing is something else. The specs I used while recording those was. Athlon II x3 435 (3.2ghz) GTX 275 3gigs of DDR2 800mhz If those don't look too good then Uncharted 3 must make your eyes bleed.
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UNcartMe
[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.RyviusARC
Recording at such a high resolution will cause lower frame rate (games run at much higher frame rate when not recording) but I do not see any screen tearing in those videos. Maybe you think screen tearing is something else. If those don't look too good then Uncharted 3 must make your eyes bleed.

idk man uc3 just looks so good, especially in low light settings. that video of crysis looks great and all, but idk it just lacks something
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RyviusARC
idk man uc3 just looks so good, especially in low light settings. that video of crysis looks great and all, but idk it just lacks somethingUNcartMe
Uncharted 3 looks good for a console game but not so much when judged by PC game visual standards. Most PC games released now in days look better and even older ones do.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i give those screens above a big fat "meh"

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

i give those screens above a big fat "meh"

wis3boi
God we need a new console generation already all multiplats suffer because of consoles lack of umph behind them
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]well i didn't really buy it for gaming, because those cost a butt load. also it has turbo boost or something like that. and i'm pretty sure they are better than ps3 hardware. i think it's because they weren't optimized for my processor. do you know what games run well on i7 and 540m?

UNcartMe

i do know about hardware, but i wanted a laptop and not gaming rig or build my on pc. i prefer laptops, and anything better than the one i got is a lot more.

No, you clearly DON'T know about hardware as your post reeks of it. As such, you would know that running ANY game on NON-NATIVE resolution greatly distorts the image quality (IQ). So when you run crysis at "720p" (People that know hardware do not use those terms btw) then you are greatly distorting the image because laptop LCD only runs best at native resolution. Secondly, if you know hardware, you know that an i7 is amazing for gaming and that almost all games are GPU limited and therefore your bottleneck would CLEARLY be your mid-range NOTEBOOK GPU. Finally, you would know that while your specs are better than "PS3 quality" (Whatever that really means), PC's require more hardware as there is no real common denominator as they have to be optimized with many different CPU/GPU/RAM/Motherboard configurations. Therefore it takes more to get a game running smoothly.

Based on those things alone, it does NOT surprise me that you think Uncharted is the bees knees for gaming IQ. You probably don't fine tune your graphics settings as you don't really understand how each setting affects the CPU/GPU and therefore don't get things set up. This is most evident in that you don't run native. A game running medium settings at native will look BETTER than running High on "720p." Most console games are just upconverted games running at "640p." Yawn....

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"][QUOTE="Marka1700"]Gaming grade hardware for laptops is significantly more expansive then desktop.ferret-gamer

Then why did you make a thread about gaming PCs not performing very well when your basis is a non-gaming laptop?

This thread just fails. This guy doesn't know much about hardware (doesn't even know what TurboBoost is, not that it really does anything that helps enough to care). Mobile GPUs are just... not good.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="UNcartMe"]i know, but i have no need for some big machine you know. college :(arto1223

This thread just fails. This guy doesn't know much about hardware (doesn't even know what TurboBoost is, not that it really does anything that helps enough to care). Mobile GPUs are just... not good.

God this thread makes my head hurt. According to Toms Hardware GPU hierarchy, the 540m is about the same as like a 7800 GTX or 7900GT so not that much more powerful (probably about the same) than the PS3 GPU
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]on a 42 inch hdtv, uc3 looks and performs better than crysis on a $1000 pc. i mean it looks good, but once all the settings are turned up, it takes a hit and just doesn't run smooth. i set my setting to 720p, because at 1080p it performs horrid. but at 720p, it doesn't look crisp and idk why. i guess uc3 is just optimized so wellUNcartMe

You're gaming on a laptop...there's your problem.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

If your gonna run a non-native resolution, try running it in windowed mode, it will look better.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Why do gaming PCs with better hardware than PS3 or 360 have games that run so bad, and look even worse at 720p? I mean UC3 looks so crisp compared to my crysis or gta4 on pc. I mean even with a $1000 pc, games don't look as good as UC3 without a performance hit. Why is that? I'm just wondering....not hating.

UNcartMe

No PS3 game looks "crisp". UC3 has great detail, but it's still blurry as hell.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#40 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

What on earth?? Uncharted3 looks better then Cryis on pc? haha

Dude I own a ps3 and NO PS3 game looks half as good as the top 5 best looking pc games.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UNcartMe

i just made crysis run and look well on my laptop/hdtv. on the res i put 1176x664 which my tv upscaled to 1280x720! i put 1280x720 setting, but my tv says not supported for some reason. next i made sure that my laptop was plugged in, then i closed the lid of my laptop and put it on full screen.

I have everything on high except medium shadow, medium physics, low post processing, medium water quality, and medium motion blur. vsync off, aa off as well. it runs super smooth with slight screen tearing and looks very good!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

i just made crysis run and look well on my laptop/hdtv. on the res i put 1176x664 which my tv upscaled to 1280x720! i put 1280x720 setting, but my tv says not supported for some reason. next i made sure that my laptop was plugged in, then i closed the lid of my laptop and put it on full screen.

I have everything on high except medium shadow, medium physics, low post processing, medium water quality, and medium motion blur. vsync off, aa off as well. it runs super smooth with slight screen tearing and looks very good!

UNcartMe

If you think that's good, wait until you see Very High.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
You're sitting a foot away from the screen on a monitor, on a television, you sitting many feet away. Sit close to Uncharted 3 on your TV and it will look like sh*t.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Then why did you make a thread about gaming PCs not performing very well when your basis is a non-gaming laptop?lostrib

God this thread makes my head hurt. According to Toms Hardware GPU hierarchy, the 540m is about the same as like a 7800 GTX or 7900GT so not that much more powerful (probably about the same) than the PS3 GPU

Exactly... Those are old GPUs just as the PS3 and the 360 have old GPUs (and hardware overall). I had a 7800 GTX and then a 8800 GTX (thing was a beast) back in those days, when they were still amazing, but now, they are just... not good, as I said in my first reply.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

That's a mobile GPU.. My laptop has a GTX560 and game run/look a hell of a lot better than they do on consoles.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Not really, no. You have a laptop that was not meant for gaming.ferret-gamer

Your processor is fine for most games running on high or max, but your GPU is quite weak by gaming standards, only capable of running games slightly better than a PS3.

I have a 555m and it does pretty well for most games. A few poorly optimized ones chug with high settings, though.

I usually run games at 720p over my native 900p. i don't notice a difference and it allows other settings to be higher and run smooth. Crysis was maxed out on this laptop I'm typing on. It's an older game, so that was to be expected.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts
Well, from your little picture we can at least tell Hermits realize they are elitists... now what will it take for them to realize how much damage they are doing to themselves because of it?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Tope title: "...gaming pc's..."

Topic: Non-gaming laptop.

You seemed to have changed your mind, but it still made me LOL.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

UNcartMe

Why is that you're a dumbass troll?I'm just wondering....not hating.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]what are your specs? and to me that doesn't look too good. i mean the textures and effects kill ps3, but it seems laggy and has a lot of screen tearing and stuff! ugh i hate the way it looks when moving the camera with a mouse.RyviusARC
Recording at such a high resolution will cause lower frame rate (games run at much higher frame rate when not recording) but I do not see any screen tearing in those videos. Maybe you think screen tearing is something else. The specs I used while recording those was. Athlon II x3 435 (3.2ghz) GTX 275 3gigs of DDR2 800mhz If those don't look too good then Uncharted 3 must make your eyes bleed.

Looks average.