Why do 3DSers say their system has 3rd party support?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16470 posts) -

If you look at the top 25 of all time on metacritic there's barely any 3rd party games.. In fact, compare it to Vita's top 25 and Vita has more. So why do 3DSers say they have 3rd party support? And why do people say the Vita doesn't sell because of lack of 3rd party support when clearly 3DS is living mostly off of 1st party? I ask you SW since you guys are amazing.

3DS

Game Metascore
1The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011)Buy From Amazon94
2Fire Emblem: Awakening (2013)Buy From Amazon92
3The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)Buy From Amazon91
4Super Mario 3D Land (2011)Buy From Amazon90
5Pushmo (2011) 90
6Colors! 3D (2012) 89
7Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (2012)Buy From Amazon88
8Pokemon Y (2013)Buy From Amazon88
9Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2013)Buy From Amazon88
10Pokemon X (2013)Buy From Amazon87
11Crashmo (2012) 86
12Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (2013)Buy From Amazon86
13Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (2011)Buy From Amazon85
14Bravely Default (2014)Buy From Amazon85
15Mario Kart 7 (2011)Buy From Amazon85
16Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (2013)Buy From Amazon84
17Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)Buy From Amazon83
18Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)Buy From Amazon83
19Retro City Rampage: DX (2014) 83
20Shin Megami Tensei IV (2013)Buy From Amazon83
21VVVVVV (2011) 83
22Cave Story 3D (2011)Buy From Amazon82
23Resident Evil: Revelations (2012)Buy From Amazon82
24Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (2012)Buy From Amazon82
25Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (2011)Buy From Amazon82

Vita

Game Metascore
1Persona 4 Golden (2012)Buy From Amazon93
2Spelunky (2013) 88
3Rayman Origins (2012)Buy From Amazon88
4LittleBigPlanet PS Vita (2012)Buy From Amazon88
5Guacamelee! (2013) 87
6Rayman Legends (2013)Buy From Amazon87
7Tearaway (2013)Buy From Amazon87
8Velocity Ultra (2013) 87
9Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster (2014)Buy From Amazon87
10Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (2012) 86
11Hotline Miami (2013) 85
12Sine Mora (2012) 85
13Mortal Kombat (2012)Buy From Amazon85
14Terraria (2013) 85
15TxK (2014) 84
16Sound Shapes (2012) 84
17PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD (2013) 84
18Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (2012)Buy From Amazon84
19Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (2013) 83
20Lumines: Electronic Symphony (2012)Buy From Amazon83
21Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (2012) 83
22Gravity Rush (2012)Buy From Amazon83
23Luftrausers (2014) 83
24BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (2012)Buy From Amazon83
25Ys: Memories of Celceta (2013)Buy From Amazon82
#2 Edited by mems_1224 (46224 posts) -

TLDR

3DS is amazing, Vita sucks /thread

#3 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16470 posts) -
#4 Posted by Blabadon (25677 posts) -

Because Atlus lol

It's even worse if you want to play any third party western games lol

#5 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (488 posts) -

Because the 3DS does have some 3nd party support. Its just that Nintendo themselves have the best metascores.

3DS has 5 games over 90, while Vita only has one. Interesting.

#6 Posted by bbkkristian (14910 posts) -

@Blabadon: western devs barely develop for handhelds anyways.

#7 Posted by bbkkristian (14910 posts) -

@Blabadon: western devs are barely supporting handhelds anyways.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

TLDR

3DS is amazing, Vita sucks /thread

Both are great systems.

But both could also be getting way more games.

#9 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

You'll have to realize that most people who bash the Vita are idiots who don't know what they're talking about in regards to the system. Vita has almost 2x as many games then the 3DS in development by 3rd parties in Japan currently.

Most people however, expected the Vita to have big AAA 3rd Party Western developer support and it does not. Traditional handhelds never have an abundance of it in the first place so, I don't know where they got the idea that the Vita would have it. The PSP only had a few games like the GTA stories games and then Western developers left it.

#12 Posted by cainetao11 (16579 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic:

Because not every game in its library is made by first or second party?

#13 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

Because Nintendo makes great games...

Look at wii it had tons of third party but most of top rated games are from Nintendo.

Their games may be colorful and looks like for kids but they are great

#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16470 posts) -

You'll have to realize that most people who bash the Vita are idiots who don't know what they're talking about in regards to the system. Vita has almost 2x as many games then the 3DS in development by 3rd parties in Japan currently.

Most people however, expected the Vita to have big AAA 3rd Party Western developer support and it does not. Traditional handhelds never have an abundance of it in the first place so, I don't know where they got the idea that the Vita would have it. The PSP only had a few games like the GTA stories games and then Western developers left it.

Good point, although Vita did try a lot harder than 3DS in trying to get Western support. KZ Mercenary, LBP, Tearaway, Uncharted, were all pretty decent games. They also did try bringing a Call of Duty and Assassins Creed iteration to Vita, and if they had actually been better games, it really could've taken off.

#15 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4156 posts) -

And the highest rated 3rd party retail game, the only one over 85 (Zero Escape), is also available on the Vita.

In the end, it comes down to Nintendo's first party support blowing away Sony's - for handhelds.

#17 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

And the highest rated 3rd party retail game, the only one over 85 (Zero Escape), is also available on the Vita.

In the end, it comes down to Nintendo's first party support blowing away Sony's - for handhelds.

This.

I do like the Vita but it doesn't have much support from Sony, thankfully third parties make games for it.

The 3DS has gotten plenty of third party support with Konami(Castlevania/Metal Gear), Namco(Tales/Project X Zone), Atlus(SMT/Etrian Odyssey), Sega(Sonic/Shinobi), Capcom(Resident Evil/Monster Hunter), Square Enix(Theatrythm/Kingdom Hearts), XSeed(Story of Seasons/Senran Kagura), and more.

#18 Posted by Seabas989 (10036 posts) -

3DS is awesome.

lol Vita especially since Sony themselves don't give a damn about it.

#19 Edited by KBFloYd (12911 posts) -

3DS promised 1st party and delivered

sony promised western games on portable....didnt deliver

#20 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29075 posts) -

lol TC thanks for posting that list to remind us how much better the 3ds is

#21 Posted by lostrib (33232 posts) -

how does any of that mean the 3DS lacks 3rd party support?

#22 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

Where did Sony say they'd have an abundance of exclusive AAA 3rd Party support for the Vita? I'd like to see a quote of that. The PS Vita does has a lot of Western 3rd Party support in the form of indie games.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy said:

This.

I do like the Vita but it doesn't have much support from Sony, thankfully third parties make games for it.

The 3DS has gotten plenty of third party support with Konami(Castlevania/Metal Gear), Namco(Tales/Project X Zone), Atlus(SMT/Etrian Odyssey), Sega(Sonic/Shinobi), Capcom(Resident Evil/Monster Hunter), Square Enix(Theatrythm/Kingdom Hearts), XSeed(Story of Seasons/Senran Kagura), and more.

Mostly Capcom support is what is important to me,the Ace Attorney series to be exact. And games related to that: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, though that was DS.

#24 Posted by farrell2k (5696 posts) -

All this tells us is what Nintendo has been telling us for years - great first party titles > third party titles. All your thread does is highlight how great Nintendo games are. Congratulations.

#25 Edited by KBFloYd (12911 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@KBFloYd said:

Where did Sony say they'd have an abundance of exclusive AAA 3rd Party support for the Vita? I'd like to see a quote of that. The PS Vita does has a lot of Western 3rd Party support in the form of indie games.

you were here when all the vita hype was going on. you and atraikidx and the other cows...

posting pictures of skyrim on a vita screen....call of duty...GTA...

thats what the everyone was getting hyped about...not about playing nothing but jrpgs and MH clones for the whole gen.

#26 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@KBFloYd said:

you were here when all the vita hype was going on. you and atraikidx and the other cows...

thats what the everyone was getting hyped about...not about playing nothing but jrpgs and MH clones for the whole gen.

Considering I do no hyping on forums for anything, I don't know where you get that load of bull**** from. Anyone who actually follows me knows that I don't play many non Japanese games so again, I don't know where you're placing me in that.

Atarikid and those posters are trolls and probably don't even own Vita systems. People being hyped for for COD: Declassified was a thing. One game. GTA? Nothing ever announced. Skyrim? Nothing ever announced. The closet thing to that was people hoping that rumored PSP Elder Scrolls game would surface on Vita.

You said Sony promised AAA Western support not that people were hyped for the possibilities of such because of the Vita's tech. Again any quotes on that?

#27 Posted by Blabadon (25677 posts) -

@bbkkristian: False, there's a shitload of indies and ports that are on the Vita as we all know, many of them Western. There's a huge market that feels practically non-existent on the 3DS.

#28 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16470 posts) -

All this tells us is what Nintendo has been telling us for years - great first party titles > third party titles. All your thread does is highlight how great Nintendo games are. Congratulations.

so you agree, then?

#29 Posted by Raptor_Herc (168 posts) -

I fail to see how a top 25 rated games list is indicative of how much 3rd party support a console is getting. After all, the DS had great 3rd party support, but also had stellar 1st party support, meaning 1st party games dominated the ratings.

The 3DS does have less third party support than its predecessors, but at least it is still getting a more consistent level of support than the Vita with quality titles from Capcom, Bandai Namco, Sega, and Level 5, among others.

#30 Edited by bbkkristian (14910 posts) -

Look at second respond plz.

Gamespot being a pain in the ass as usual and lagging replies.

#31 Posted by bbkkristian (14910 posts) -

@Blabadon: so indies count as third party now? Well now you're ignoring a huge chunk of 3ds games. One big one just came out a couple weeks ago: shovel knight.

#32 Posted by jake44 (1942 posts) -

You should never buy a Nintendo console for 3rd party games.

#33 Edited by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

3DS probably has more substantial 3rd party support for the common folk.

Mostly from SE, Capcom, Atlus, Level 5 (Youkai Watch).

This is the demographic the Sony fails to grab relatively:

http://i.imgur.com/NzspueF.jpg

Perhaps this is how most perceive it.

3DS > VITA:

MH, Gaist, Wright > MVC port/mp, SFxT port/mp

BDFF/2, FFE > FFX/2 port/mp

EO, CoP, PQ > P4G enhanced port, D.C p/mp

For VITA, I think Tecmo Koei, BamCo and SEGA gives a bit more support.

#34 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4156 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@KBFloYd said:

Honestly I can't think of a single major (by major, I mean good) western exclusive on handhelds since.... 2009, when GTA Chinatown Wars and Scribblenauts came out? Then they were both quickly ported to iOS...

If Sony promised anything, they were being hopelessly optimistic. Western devs would be more than happy to make all their games on consoles and smartphones.

#35 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5196 posts) -

None of that says it doesn't have 3rd party support.

#36 Posted by PapaTrop (393 posts) -

I didn't know people argued that the 3DS has more 3rd party support.

The number one complaint I always see is that Sony themselves doesn't support the Vita with their own titles like Nintendo does which is hugely apparent. The Vita is just a huge mix of ports, and hand-me-down indie games that are often many years old. Very few good exclusives which I think many people are looking for when they are buying a secondary system (which I assume most people buy handhelds as).

The only person I ever recommended the Vita to was someone in the Navy since they have no real place to play a PC or console. In that case it's a pretty good choice.

#37 Edited by KBFloYd (12911 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@KBFloYd said:

Considering I do no hyping on forums for anything, I don't know where you get that load of bull**** from. Anyone who actually follows me knows that I don't play many non Japanese games so again, I don't know where you're placing me in that.

Atarikid and those posters are trolls and probably don't even own Vita systems. People being hyped for for COD: Declassified was a thing. One game. GTA? Nothing ever announced. Skyrim? Nothing ever announced. The closet thing to that was people hoping that rumored PSP Elder Scrolls game would surface on Vita.

You said Sony promised AAA Western support not that people were hyped for the possibilities of such because of the Vita's tech. Again any quotes on that?

im talking about what gamers thought the vita was going to be and why it failed....the only thing sony did was hype of the vitas power which was never used in anything.

#38 Edited by Bigboi500 (29124 posts) -

SW is full of Vita apologists. Sony wont even apologize for dropping support for it, why should its victims? Making excuses still? Claiming the hardware was never meant to have blockbusters? Claiming the system isn't a huge disappointment based on such wasted potential?

Good grief...

#39 Edited by lamprey263 (22773 posts) -

Third party 3DS games I own:

• Devil Survivor Overclock - Atlus
  • Soul Hackers - Atlus
  • Shin Megami Tensi IV - Atlus
  • Project X Zone - Bandai Namco
  • Rune Factor 4 - XSEED
  • Etrian Odyssey IV - Atlus
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold - Atlus
  • Bravely Default - Square Enix
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate - Konami
  • Ace Attorney: Dual Destineis - Capcom
  • Sims 3 - EA

That's like half the 3DS games I own, and I'd have more if I had more money. Also, most my DS library is 3rd party:

• Ace Attorney - Capcom
  • Ace Attorney Justice For All - Capcom
  • Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations - Capcom
  • Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice - Capcom
  • Ace Attorney - Miles Edgeworth Investigations - Capcom
  • Scribblenauts - WB Games
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife - Atlus
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - Atlus
  • My Japanese Coach - Ubisoft
  • Okamiden - Capcom
  • Devil Survivor - Atlus
  • Devil Survivor 2 - Atlus
  • SMT: Strange Journey - Atlus
  • Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars - Rockstar
  • Cooking Mama - Majesco
  • Infinite Space - Sega
  • Aliens: Infestation - SEGA

I'm very satisfied myself with the 3rd party support I've supported... except maybe Castlevania.

#40 Posted by super600 (30127 posts) -

Consumers don't care about the vita's third party support which is better than the 3ds in your opinion. Consumers want to buy a platform that has a future and the 3ds does have a future unlike the vita.

#41 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

SW is full of Vita apologists. Sony wont even apologize for dropping support for it, why should its victims? Making excuses still? Claiming the hardware was never meant to have blockbusters? Claiming the system isn't a huge disappointment based on such wasted potential?

Good grief...

The Vita is failing in sales compared to it's predecessor and Sony has screwed up on certain aspects such as pricing of memory cards etc...

Handhelds however have never been majorly supported with AAA Western development and people who expected that to change were woefully optimistic because Sony never promised such. Sony touted the power and features of the Vita and on that front it delivered. If Sony had said "Expect to see all you favorite 3rd Party franchises on the Vita" then people would have the right to feel had but that never happened.

I got exactly the system I expected (same with the 3DS). Tons of good Japanese games like all previous handhelds from the Gameboy to the PSP. If I want Western AAA games I have PC and consoles.

As far as Sony dropping support? They haven't in any big way yet. Freedom Wars is coming, Oreshika is coming, and Gravity Rush 2 (It hasn't been officially announced but was teased should be coming). You want big Western games then well, that's tough because handhelds aren't getting any.

#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24580 posts) -

Because it has...

1. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  2. Etrain Odyssey IV
  3. Etrain Odyssey Untold The Millennium Girl
  4. Project X Zone
  5. Conception II
  6. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
  7. Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D
  8. Super Street Fighter IV
  9. Resident Evil Revelations
  10. Dead or Alive Dimensions
  11. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  12. Shin Megamai Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
  13. Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate
  14. BlazBlue Continuum Shift II
  15. Cave Story 3D
  16. Ace Attorney 5 Duel Destinies
  17. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
  18. Bravely Default
  19. Rune Factory 4
  20. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil survivor Overclocked

And that's not counting the Upcoming games which include

1. Professor Layton X Pheonix Wright
  2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  3. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call
  4. Persona Q Shadow of The Labyrinth
  5. Fantasy Life

I also didn't bother adding Downloadable titles like

1. Shantae and The Pirate's Curse
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Moon Chronicles
  4. Gunman Clive 2

That comes up to a total of 29 games I listed that are from 3rd Parties upcoming and already available. Add that with Nintendo's Ever Growing 1st Party and you got one awesome machine and now you should understand why the 3DS is kicking so much tail.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6845 posts) -

The problem with the vita is that it has no first party support.

#44 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@super600 said:

Consumers don't care about the vita's third party support which is better than the 3ds in your opinion. Consumers want to buy a platform that has a future and the 3ds does have a future unlike the vita.

Considering the Vita will last out this cycle and has over 70+ Japanese 3rd Party games in development along side the Indie games it gets, it has a future regardless of whether that userbase is small or not. Wii U will only sell around 20-25 million like Vita even with Nintendo's first party offerings, do you consider that to have no future? Just wondering.

#45 Posted by foxhound_fox (87366 posts) -

It has more third party support than the Vita has first party support.

Oh snap.

#46 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

Because it has...

2. Etrain Odyssey IV
  4. Project X Zone
  5. Conception II
  15. Cave Story 3D
  18. Bravely Default
  19. Rune Factory 4

5. Fantasy Life

2. Shovel Knight
  3. Moon Chronicles
  4. Gunman Clive 2

That comes up to a total of 29 games I listed that are from 3rd Parties upcoming and already available. Add that with Nintendo's Ever Growing 1st Party and you got one awesome machine and now you should understand why the 3DS is kicking so much tail.

I'm seeing a lot of ports, remakes and some inferior multiplatform games on that list. Isn't that what the majority of Vita bashers use against it...

#47 Posted by gamefan67 (9853 posts) -

How exactly did you prove that 3ds has no third party support? All you really did was prove that Nintendo makes amazing games for their handhelds and consoles.

#48 Posted by KBFloYd (12911 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Because it has...

2. Etrain Odyssey IV
  4. Project X Zone
  5. Conception II
  15. Cave Story 3D
  18. Bravely Default
  19. Rune Factory 4

5. Fantasy Life

2. Shovel Knight
  3. Moon Chronicles
  4. Gunman Clive 2

I'm seeing a lot of ports, remakes and some inferior multiplatform games on that list. Isn't that what the majority of Vita bashers use against it...

the difference is that most of those are exclusive....where as vitas are shared with the ps3.

#49 Edited by super600 (30127 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@super600 said:

Considering the Vita will last out this cycle and has over 70+ Japanese 3rd Party games in development along side the Indie games it gets, it has a future regardless of whether that userbase is small or not. Wii U will only sell around 20-25 million like Vita even with Nintendo's first party offerings, do you consider that to have no future? Just wondering.

The vita has a future, but it won't be a great one like the WiiU(It actually has a worse future than the WiiU). The problem with the vita is that it's unappealing like the WiiU. It does not interest the consumer base that wants to buy a handheld and 70+ Japanese games being in development won't help the handheld that much

#50 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Because it has...

2. Etrain Odyssey IV
  4. Project X Zone
  5. Conception II
  15. Cave Story 3D
  18. Bravely Default
  19. Rune Factory 4

5. Fantasy Life

2. Shovel Knight
  3. Moon Chronicles
  4. Gunman Clive 2

the difference is that most of those are exclusive....where as vitas are shared with the ps3.

Did you just say ports and remakes are exclusive?