Why didn't Sony release the PS3 earlier?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 saiftk
Member since 2003 • 153 Posts

I'm trying not to be a fanboy. But was it arrogance? bad research? delays? overconfidence? bad decision making?

You can't say they made the right choice cause they're losing. They would have had the head start in the HDDVD battle and won earlier. Plus, they would have been head to head with the 360 or outselling it.

I think they would have given the Wii some competition as well. Did they just drop the ball? How can a company make such a bad decision/

lancer_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lancer_87
Member since 2009 • 440 Posts

I'm trying not to be a fanboy. But was it arrogance? bad research? delays? overconfidence? bad decision making?

You can't say they made the right choice cause they're losing. They would have had the head start in the HDDVD battle and won earlier. Plus, they would have been head to head with the 360 or outselling it.

I think they would have given the Wii some competition as well. Did they just drop the ball? How can a company make such a bad decision/

saiftk
I think you better leave it to them.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

I think it was delays, but don't quote me. It's unfortunate but things like this happen in business. MS got their console out the door, with faulty hardware, probably knowing that the lead on the competition is worth dealing with the RROD down the line.

saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 saiftk

[QUOTE="saiftk"]

lancer_87

I think you better leave it to them.

I think they made the wrong decisions. I don't care. I just don't see how a company can just mess up one of their major successes that badly. They knew what MS was doing and chose to go their own way. The wrong way. Why?

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I think it was delays, but don't quote me. It's unfortunate but things like this happen in business. MS got their console out the door, with faulty hardware, probably knowing that the lead on the competition is worth dealing with the RROD down the line.

lundy86_4

I'm pretty sure you're right. Sony had its logistics problem with the launch, their first announced launch date was supposed to be spring 2006, but it got delayed due to a whole bunch of things but people were actually happy about it.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

lundy86_4

You're right about the delays. I remember the worldwide launch was delayed because of blu ray diode issues.

TC, the PS3 didn't release earlier because Sony was not ready. It would have had more problems than the 360.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

saiftk
Bad decision making? If anything they were smart.
lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

Because unlike M$, Sony was more concerned about producing a quality product than rushing a defective one to market.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeadMan1290

Because unlike M$, Sony was more concerned about producing a quality product than rushing a defective one to market.

lolfaqs
Seriously. Geez, you don't get tired?:|... We all know what happened. SONY was smarter in the hardware development. That's where they deserve alot of credit!
lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

DeadMan1290

Seriously. Geez, you don't get tired?:|... We all know what happened. SONY was smarter in the hardware development. That's where they deserve alot of credit!

Truth, justice, and the American way never get tired. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

lolfaqs
ic quality products like the ps2 dre and sony laptop batteries exploding right?
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

lolfaqs

Truth, justice, and the American way never get tired. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Mmmm... Very well said....Alright whatever lol
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

_SWAG_

All companies have problems with some products, but sony delt with it. Microsoft is still trying to clean up RROD. While sony did lose some pacing, i am very happy with the way the handeled the ps3

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

gago-gago

You're right about the delays. I remember the worldwide launch was delayed because of blu ray diode issues.

TC, the PS3 didn't release earlier because Sony was not ready. It would have had more problems than the 360.

Yeah, it was due to issues with Blu Ray. That's honestly the main issue they were having.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SWAG_

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"][QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

Sully28

All companies have problems with some products, but sony delt with it. Microsoft is still trying to clean up RROD. While sony did lose some pacing, i am very happy with the way the handeled the ps3

wait did sony give out 3 year warranties too?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="Sully28"]

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]ic quality products like the ps2 dre and sony laptop batteries exploding right?_SWAG_

If they didn't hand out 3 year warranties, the 360 would have dropped off the sales map.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _SWAG_

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"][QUOTE="Sully28"] All companies have problems with some products, but sony delt with it. Microsoft is still trying to clean up RROD. While sony did lose some pacing, i am very happy with the way the handeled the ps3

lundy86_4

If they didn't hand out 3 year warranties, the 360 would have dropped off the sales map.

please elaborate
-hells-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -hells-
Member since 2008 • 1027 Posts

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

lolfaqs

Unfortunately Microsoft is winning the full battle.Well against sony atleast
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

lolfaqs

Like this Sony product

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]wait did sony give out 3 year warranties too?_SWAG_

please elaborate

The sole fact that they released a piece of hardware that had a fatal flaw in it's design, and then not being willing to extend a warranty in order to correct the issue is killer in terms of PR. People would have had failing consoles and would be charged, say $100 a pop (hypothetical). With the failure rate on the consoles it would cost people a lot of money. Using my price example, I would have paid $300 so far on repairs.

This would get out in the media and through word of mouth and would end up with less console sales.

tuvideo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tuvideo87
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

because of ps2 you know? it sold 150m worldwide and still selling

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
they didn't want to release a faulty system. i think they are in 3rd is because of the price of the system when it came out. it was $600 for a system. the only reason was most likely because of the blue ray in the drive. is a good thing in the long run.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

lolfaqs
My PS2 had DRE, and I was mad too, in fact, the original Xbox was more reliable than the PS2 hardware wise..
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

They release systems every 6 years. MS got kind of lucky that they had to launch first.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

mitu123

My PS2 had DRE, and I was mad too, in fact, the original Xbox was more reliable than the PS2 hardware wise..

Yeah DRE was bad. Outside of my warranty I used to open up my PS2 and clean the reader lense with a cotton wool bud.

saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 saiftk

The main goal of the company is sales. Simple. Microsoft didn't have bad luck getting the RROD. They brought it on themselves. But Sony should have been planning for the PS3 from the second the first PS2 was sold. I really don't think they were. Their console is almost same as the 360. They would have benefitted greatly from MS's misfortune with the RROD. They failed to capitalize.

It amazes me that MS is number 2 even with RROD.

DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#27 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts
I imagine a lot of things went wrong. Sony had their grand plan for 10 years on the PS2 (which they are still sticking by) and I assume figured they could take their time developing the PS3. I vaguely recall problems with the diodes, drives, and other things that didn't hideously slow them down. I also seem to recall something about trying to have one Cell processor for the main processor and a separate one for graphics. Not sure if any of this delayed things. I think a bit of overconfidence messed them up. They thought they could wait it out and when the 360 hit they realized they waited too long.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Because they couldn't.

Various manufacturing problems such as low Cell chip and Blu-Ray diode yields halted the early release of the PS3.

If everything had gone according to plan, the PS3 would've shipped around the same time as the 360.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Because they couldn't surfice to say in factory test units were defective at a higher rate then 360s highest defect rate, Infact if i remember right the cell only had 1 out of 10 working chips from a silicon wafer or something like that.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

saiftk

There were delays related primarily to Blu-ray laser diode yields and also because the software (ie. games)wasn't ready.

DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#31 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts

[QUOTE="saiftk"]

UnnDunn

There were delays related primarily to Blu-ray laser diode yields and also because the software (ie. games)wasn't ready.

Yes I also recall Sony is notorious for being a pain in the rear about getting the developers kits out to get things moving. They did the same thing with the PS2 in which developers had much difficulty with it until Sony gave them the kits. The same thing happened with the PS3
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts
I think it was a delay on the blu-ray lasers. Either they were bad lasers, or they just didn't have enough, or something. Don't quote me on that though :P
fuzzyking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 fuzzyking
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts

Blu Ray and The Cell

dragonpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dragonpuppy
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts

Because they couldn't.

Various manufacturing problems such as low Cell chip and Blu-Ray diode yields halted the early release of the PS3.

If everything had gone according to plan, the PS3 would've shipped around the same time as the 360.

The_Game21x

Bingo. IIRC, Sony said they would ship 2 million units of the PS3 for launch. When launch came, they only managed to ship half was that.

saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 saiftk

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Because they couldn't.

dragonpuppy

Bingo. IIRC, Sony said they would ship 2 million units of the PS3 for launch. When launch came, they only managed to ship half was that.

So if I'm understanding this right...they only managed to ship a million units for launch because of manufacturers. That's one yr AFTER the 360 has launched and is number one next gen console on the market. Admittedly, only console out there but still. I don't think that's bad luck. Like Microsoft, it's just bad management and bad decision making.

Nintendo owe a lot to Sony and Microsoft for making mistake after mistake. Even though they did do their research.

12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

it was actually not entirely sony's fault. the ps3 itself was ready by early 2006, except for the cell and RSX, it's two main chips. if they released it earlier it wouldn't have had those two, and wouldn't be quite as powerful.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Because the blu-ray diodes hit a snag and the cell had production problems, iirc.
dragonpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dragonpuppy
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonpuppy"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Because they couldn't.

saiftk

So if I'm understanding this right...they only managed to ship a million units for launch because of manufacturers. That's one yr AFTER the 360 has launched and is number one next gen console on the market. Admittedly, only console out there but still. I don't think that's bad luck. Like Microsoft, it's just bad management and bad decision making.

Nintendo owe a lot to Sony and Microsoft for making mistake after mistake. Even though they did do their research.

And that was only Japan and US. Don't forget Europe didn't get their PS3 until March of 2008(?). Think of what would have happened if they had tried to launch worldwide. It would have been a nightmare...

saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 saiftk
I never quite get the world launch. There's always going to be problems. Just launch in one country. Learn from it. Launch in the next. I hope Sony wants to come first. I hate the fact that they seem content with fighting for second place. I'm sure they are not and next gen will be interesting when hopefully they'll fight back against Nintendo. Nintendo resurrected themselves and hopefully Sony will too. For the cows, again I mean in terms of sales.
adman66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 adman66
Member since 2003 • 1744 Posts
[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

yup, but dont forget that the cell has very bad production early on. so unless ther were giong to sell the ps3 for like $1000+ and sony wold be mroe in the red then it already is
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

saiftk

They had to wait until Blu-Ray was ready.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

I never quite get the world launch. There's always going to be problems. Just launch in one country. Learn from it. Launch in the next. I hope Sony wants to come first. I hate the fact that they seem content with fighting for second place. I'm sure they are not and next gen will be interesting when hopefully they'll fight back against Nintendo. Nintendo resurrected themselves and hopefully Sony will too. For the cows, again I mean in terms of sales.saiftk
Nothing wrong with a worldwide launch, if you can pull off the logistics of it all.

Avatar image for abd_alazeez2002
abd_alazeez2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 abd_alazeez2002
Member since 2005 • 328 Posts

saiftk
or end up like x360 with dead system
saiftk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 saiftk

[QUOTE="saiftk"]

abd_alazeez2002

or end up like x360 with dead system

Again, I don't think Sony could have even pulled that off. They were clearly mismanaged. I think they would have released the PS3 with problems if it meant they could have launched. But they were in no position to. They do want to come first you know...;) . I don't think anyone is happy at Sony that they have a bronze instead of a gold.

Slambo86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Slambo86
Member since 2009 • 912 Posts

Delays were due to bluray drives, if i recall correctly. It shouldn't be surprising, Sony usally are late to the market (Saturn/PS1, Dreamcast/PS2, etc) Just imagine what it would have been like if the PS2 launched much earlier without bluray, the support, games, sales..would have made sense since the PS2 has been on the market for so long. But bluray did pay off.