Why didn't Diablo III spark ARPG craze?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

My friends, whom I (admire deeply) some examples...

World Of Warcraft (12-20 million) + subscribers = Intense focus on MMO's and copypasying World Of Warcraft formula for years

Halo (10 million+) = Almost all FPS designed for consoles (to the dismay of pc gamers)

Call Of Duty 4 (12 million+) = All games turning into (mostly) over-scripted throwaway 4 hour SP and multiplayer with RPG leveling system

Diablo 3 (3.5 million in 24 hours - 12 million+ in a year) = Nothing. Fuckall happened.

Strange. Why?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

what exactly did you expect to happen?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Because they did it with Diablo 2

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
Strange. Why?

It's an incredibly boring game with essentially no gameplay beyond preying on addictive behaviors by spamming increasingly more nebulous loot at the player.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Torchlight 2?

Path of Exile?

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

This might just be me. But it felt like hours of auto-attacking to get gold.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Pffrbt said:

@uninspiredcup said:
Strange. Why?

It's an incredibly boring game with essentially no gameplay beyond preying on addictive behaviors by spamming increasingly more nebulous loot at the player.

Sadly, 12 million people bought it. Thus, the world disagrees.

@hiphops_savior said:

Torchlight 2?

Path of Exile?

Two games isn't exactly a craze.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

ARPG games were still being released before DL3 and are still being pushed out now. dont see why you expected something more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lawlessx said:

ARPG games were still being released before DL3 and are still being pushed out now. dont see why you expected something more.

Sales drive the industry. It's very simple my friend. And no craze exists or existed before Diablo 3, no "oh oh oh , they existed before, oh oh oh, Diablo 2 ohohohooh" nonsense please. Barely a handful of noteworthy titles.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

D3 hardly reinvented the wheel for the genre, all it really did was kill itself with a shitty online structure and busted loot. It's mostly fixed now, mind you, but far too late into the game's life.

Those other games were huge for their respective genres, making big changes and improvements to established formulas. Even if they weren't truly innovative, they were still progressive, and D3 was regressive.

ARPGs though have been pretty huge since D2 and there have been numerous Diablo clones since D2 came out. If you're looking for the craze creating game, it was either the first or the second.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

Sales drive the industry. It's very simple my friend. And no craze exists or existed before Diablo 3, no "oh oh oh , they existed before, oh oh oh, Diablo 2 ohohohooh" nonsense please. Barely a handful of noteworthy titles.

People that played D2 bought D3

So it didn't create a new craze around it

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Because it's a pretty niche genre and it is already pretty full of games. Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 + Expansion. That's quite a few games that were just made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Because Diablo 2 existed...

The EverQuest maniacs I raided with in WoW had nothing for praise for what the game did for the genre. Meanwhile the Diablo 2 players who played Diablo 3 thought it was shit and just wanted to go play LoD. Just like how StarCraft players were generally just pining for Brood War after SC2 came out.

The PC demographic typically doesn't fall for the Halo/FF7 "baby's first genre king" thing.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

Path of Exile, Torchlight 1-2, the Sacred games and then there's Diablo III itself which sold like 15-16 million copies. Diablo III on PC alone has sold better than any PS3 or X360 exclusive. Including Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears etc..

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Pffrbt said:

@uninspiredcup said:
Strange. Why?

Sadly, 12 million people bought it. Thus, the world disagrees.

People also bought the Borderlands games despite them being just as bad (if not worse due to the awful humor).

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Most of those 12 million sales were made because Diablo 2 was so good. A lot of those people bought the game and were immediately disappointed. That is why the expansion 'only' sold 3 million.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Diablo's always been a mediocre Series.

Can't really expect it start a craze.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Cuz it sucked.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Diablo's always been a mediocre Series.

Can't really expect it start a craze.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979929385

https://www.change.org/petitions/bring-diablo-3-to-the-consoles-playstation-3-xbox-360-and-wii-u

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/18043-petition-to-put-diii-on-consoles

Dat begging for a "mediocre series"

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

Because Blizzard ruined it by adding the auction house turning the game into a shitty grind-fest; probably to cover up the shitty predictable story.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

@RossRichard said:

Most of those 12 million sales were made because Diablo 2 was so good. A lot of those people bought the game and were immediately disappointed. That is why the expansion 'only' sold 3 million.

Yep. One of the highest selling and fastest selling expansions of all time.

What a flop.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

What craze would you expect? Isometric Action RPG genre was popular before D3 and still is.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup

It seems clear people are hungry for a ARPG craze.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

According to what? Diablo 3 sales? Dude, the third title was an extremely anticipated sequel almost as StarCraft 2. Did we see RTS craze after SC2 launch? No, the genre continued like always.

The same would happen if Generals 2 or Warcraft 4 got released. They'd sell millions of units, but there wouldn't be any kind of "craze" for the genre.

I'm actually happy there is no "craze" for these kind of genres because Call of Duty is a complete piece of shit, and on the other hand, I hate MMOs.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It seems clear you're a craze-y.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

@IgGy621985 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

According to what?

Factually based fact.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Because it's a pretty niche genre and it is already pretty full of games. Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 + Expansion. That's quite a few games that were just made.

Out of all those, Diablo III turned out to be the weaker title of the genre due to its broken loot system (early on that is) derailing any momentum the game could have had.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

After playing POE for an extended amount of time (finished a play through and now a second char) Constantly having to reshuffle gems is just a pain in the ass. Likewise, while Diablo 3 had launch lag problems the de-sync issue has existed in POE for years and probably will never be sorted. Overall, Diablo 3 in it's current state is quite clearly a better game regardless of what da haters be claiming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Because:

• It happened way back with Diablo and Diablo II
  • Diablo III sucked balls at launch
  • It did start a craze: Path of Exile, Torchlight II, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Diablo III launched when there were TONS of ARPGS. It didn't spark a craze because it came out in the middle of a bonfire where everything had already been lit.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#33 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

As others have said, it didn't start the craze because the craze was already in full effect (greatly fueled by it's predecessor Diablo II). Frankly, Diablo III doesn't really bring that much new to the table and in many aspects was a step back in the genera. Also, can't really read much into its sales numbers because of it being a freebie with a year sub to WoW which muddles things.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#34 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Becasue D3 - Sucked at launch!!! Where have you been? It focused on making blizzard and making people who play the game most , to make money...instead of having fun. You can blame the now fired Jay Wilson and his wow cronies for that shit. Seriously it was a bad bad game. The loot was never good. It was always based on you bjuying something from someone else. The classes and skills were all the same, there is no difference at high levels.

Now this stuff may be different now that the auction house and loot 2.0 is out, but I won't buy it until I can play it on my ps4... I have it on pc, but there is better games there..

And it did sort of spark a slight resurgance!

Path of Exile

Grim Dawn

Torchlight 2

All came out after D3 and were better games..

We havent had a ARPG since Sacred 2 and titan Quest, years before that. It was a win for me as it's one of my favorite genres. I got 3 good games to play outside of D3..

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Midnightshade29

@uninspiredcup said:

After playing POE for an extended amount of time (finished a play through and now a second char) Constantly having to reshuffle gems is just a pain in the ass. Likewise, while Diablo 3 had launch lag problems the de-sync issue has existed in POE for years and probably will never be sorted. Overall, Diablo 3 in it's current state is quite clearly a better game regardless of what da haters be claiming.

oh uh looks like we have a Blizzard fanboy here... Diablo 3 was made for morons who don't like to think! Making a build and dealing with stats is part of the genre.... not including stuff like that is a good way to piss off 90% of your fanbase, minus the blizzard apologists who will praise everything they do. Same with the people who only played wow during the last 10 years, when so many better more interesting and prettier mmos were on the scene. I just don't understand certain people's devotion to blizzard.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Midnightshade29 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

oh uh looks like we have a Blizzard fanboy here...

Nope. Only just bought Diablo 3 over a week ago.

Seems to me you just throwing a little bitch fit because my opinion doesn't agree with your (undeserved) ego. Anything but the sign of an intelligent person. Likewise you are attacking me, not the game. Grow up please.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Midnightshade29 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Becasue D3 - Sucked at launch!!! Where have you been?

My friend, I had very little interesting in Diablo 3 until a deal popped up on my local source of video game titles. Given that, coupled with the fact POE was played in direct comparison, it's about as objective an opinion can be humanly formed. It's a really great opinion, far better than yours.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Midnightshade29

@uninspiredcup:

Well if your not, then my apologies.. but my information still stands, even if it doesn't include you. I have many friends who will worship anything blizzard does, no matter if it's shit. It drives me nuts. These same people praise wow, and it's graphics and won't try any other mmo. Same thing with Diablo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Midnightshade29 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Well if your not, then my apologies.. but my information still stands, even if it doesn't include you. I have many friends who will worship anything blizzard does, no matter if it's shit. It drives me nuts. These same people praise wow, and it's graphics and won't try any other mmo. Same thing with Diablo.

No bad blood my friend, it seems we got off on the wrong foot, mainly due to you implying I was a ****. When it comes to Blizzard fanboys I completely agree. Having posted on the Blizzard forum after purchasing this week, to complain about the tiny size of the UI, requesting UI scaling like Torchlight, I was bombarded with young people obnoxiously telling me it's not Blizzards fault and it's my fault for having poor eyesight (no joke).

However, POE is simply not as good as game as Diablo 3 in it's current state. Regardless of more "depth" everything else around it just simply, clearly isn't as good. On normal mode I died more times due to de-syncing rather than enemies actually killing me. Whatever problems Diablo 3 had, they no longer exist when I played on American servers. De-syncing in POE will apparently never be fixed. And the problem lays on their end of the connection, not ours.

That's not to say POE is bad, it's very good and I'm enjoying my time with it. To the point that I re-rolled. And indeed will do so with D3.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

You might as well ask why TLOU didn't spawn a story-heavy third person shooter craze. Originals that aren't easily copied tend to not be copied at all. It doesn't take more than a team of monkeys to make a FPS game however.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Kjranu said:

You might as well ask why TLOU didn't spawn a story-heavy third person shooter craze.

Because it's not original, adds nothing new to the table and only sold 6 million copies.

Diablo 3's big time.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

oh uh looks like we have a Blizzard fanboy here... Diablo 3 was made for morons who don't like to think! Making a build and dealing with stats is part of the genre.... not including stuff like that is a good way to piss off 90% of your fanbase, minus the blizzard apologists who will praise everything they do. Same with the people who only played wow during the last 10 years, when so many better more interesting and prettier mmos were on the scene. I just don't understand certain people's devotion to blizzard.

The customization in POE is outstanding. Crafting class builds with the vastly dynamic skill tree, and then combining that with gem configurations, especially the strategic use of gem linking and trigger gems - it all creates so much flexibility and diversity when building and playing. It's incredibly rewarding.

And I don't know what MrCup means by all this "de-syncing".

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

World Of Warcraft (12-20 million) + subscribers = Intense focus on MMO's and copypasying World Of Warcraft formula for years

Halo (10 million+) = Almost all FPS designed for consoles (to the dismay of pc gamers)

Call Of Duty 4 (12 million+) = All games turning into (mostly) over-scripted throwaway 4 hour SP and multiplayer with RPG leveling system

Diablo 3 (3.5 million in 24 hours - 12 million+ in a year) = Nothing. Fuckall happened.

Strange. Why?

I think WoW, Halo and CoD4 all introduced significant changes into their respective genres whereas Diablo 3 didn't really feel like it did all that much to move the genre forward. I guess Diablo 3 is better compared to CoD: Black Ops or Halo 4.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Strange. Why?

Because the devs said it themselves...they tried to be greedy and fucked up...instead of fighting monsters to get loots..its sitting in Auction House waiting to buy loot. :P

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

That is the problem. Diablo 3 was a terrible game at launch. It is admittedly much better now, but because it was so bad at launch is why it didn't start an ARPG craze. And like I said earlier, most of the people that bought the game were immediately disappointed and gave up on it. That is why the expansion only sold one fourth what the original game did.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

@RossRichard said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That is the problem. Diablo 3 was a terrible game at launch. It is admittedly much better now, but because it was so bad at launch is why it didn't start an ARPG craze. And like I said earlier, most of the people that bought the game were immediately disappointed and gave up on it. That is why the expansion only sold one fourth what the original game did.

All expansions sell about 1/4 (in reality much less). Nothing is out of order here my friend.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

It requires 10 million sales for that to happen.