Why did people kickstart a project doomed for failure?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by JangoWuzHere (18978 posts) -

If you don't know what Areal is, it was the supposed spiritual successor to the STALKER series.

This is the latest game footage released from the project...it's poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_nRQf6wls

This game has been in development for a while now, and its supposed to be coming out next year. They claim that they are using there own engine, but the majority of in game assets are from Unity packs.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2014/07/areal-vs-unity.jpg

Not to mention they the developers have continued to lie and avoid important questions. Resulting on one of the worst AMAs I have ever seen.

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/07/areal-ama-at-reddit-does-little-to-reassure-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-fans

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2al8dd/we_are_west_games_a_studio_made_up_of_senior/

How are they expecting to release this game on PC, PS4, X1, and Wii U with a $50k budget?

Areal has just recently reached its goal. I imagine the only people who are still supporting this project are the ignorant or desperate. Nothing about this project looks or sounds great at this point I understand that a lot of people want another STALKER game. However, I doubt this game will ever live up to those expectations at this point.

#2 Edited by madsnakehhh (16003 posts) -

I'll give them some credit, is not like they are an amateur team or anything, sure, that demo definitely could use some serious works, i mean the animation while shooting would make Golden Eye on the N64 cry, but i liked the atmosphere at the beginning, i'm not saying is the next STALKER or anything like that, but a little bit more patience wouldn't hurt either, specially since the release date is 2015.

EDIT: On a side note...wow, that AmA terrible.

#3 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

False hope, ignorance, they have too much money who knows. They gave that stupid Anita (whatever the hell her name is) chick a lot more than that to make bad videos she was already making.

#4 Posted by JangoWuzHere (18978 posts) -

Geez, look at there most recent update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal/posts

They seriously can't take any form of criticism. They are seriously posting a kickstarter update to call other sites and backers trolls. This is awful and completely unprofessional. There is also a hint of racism in that update as well.

#5 Edited by 22Toothpicks (11575 posts) -

You ask a very legitimate question, however, when donations are sent in for a $63K potato salad the question of failed video game projects becomes irrelevant. The question becomes, "WTF is wrong with people?"

#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (18978 posts) -

@22Toothpicks said:

You ask a very legitimate question, however, when donations are sent in for a $63K potato salad the question of failed video game projects becomes irrelevant. The question becomes, "WTF is wrong with people?"

I'd rather support a trueful and down to earth kickstarter about people making potato salad instead of a video game project full of lies and total bullshit.

#7 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11575 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@22Toothpicks said:

I'd rather support a trueful and down to earth kickstarter about people making potato salad instead of a video game project full of lies and total bullshit.

I agree wholeheartedly I was just looking for any excuse to let people know about that particular crowd funded project. :p

I myself am very hesitant to back any project no matter how intriguing it might be. The examples you posted in the OP just make me even more cautious.

#8 Posted by Chutebox (40760 posts) -

For me, it's "Why do people support kickstarter."

I don't get it, money goes to my family. To each his own I guess.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (95000 posts) -

Because people are only now starting to learn the lesson of backing crowd-funded projects that aren't being properly directed by skilled individuals.

#10 Posted by PyratRum (693 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@22Toothpicks said:

Agreed. At least with the potato salad we knew that we were getting exactly that, a potato salad.

#12 Posted by clyde46 (48915 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

False hope, ignorance, they have too much money who knows. They gave that stupid Anita (whatever the hell her name is) chick a lot more than that to make bad videos she was already making.

That makes me so mad.

#13 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11575 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Why do monkeys fling their own poop?

Because poo is an easily replenish-able resource?

#15 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11575 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@22Toothpicks said:

@farrell2k said:

Why do monkeys fling their own poop?

Because poo is an easily replenish-able resource?

No, because they're smart enough to know that if they make a ruckus, they will get attention. :) Same as these developers. More eyes = more money.

So wannbe-devs are a bunch of knuckle draggin' shit fingers; I knew it!

#16 Posted by anderswhk (123 posts) -

What can i say. I'm a sucker for both ambient indie games, and post apocalyptic games. STALKER was paradise for me, even tho the games were a mess, i still greatly enjoyed them.

#17 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

Because people are idiots

#18 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

$40k for a potato salad... Do I need to say more?

edit: it's at $61k now though. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

#19 Posted by freedomfreak (48489 posts) -

Because some people are just not that bright.

#20 Posted by zassimick (9467 posts) -

Woof. That Reddit AMA was bad just glancing through it.

Honestly, it's why i haven't donated to a Kickstarter before and I doubt I will anytime soon. Five or twenty dollars? Okay. But something substantial? I can't trust some people with my money to make a game I'm not even sure I'll enjoy in the end, if they'll even finish it. I've read a few too many horror stories now on Kickstarter projects, and while they might be the minority, it definitely leaves a bad impression on the whole lot.

#21 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Only 1,000 people did, which when you consider how popular the original STALKER is, isn't a lot. So my faith in humanity is still intact.

#22 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (28444 posts) -

I stayed FAR away from it because it's not even being made by the people who made Stalker.

Not to mention the many Contradictions that were pointed out by the community and heck that freakin' Video looks like Slender The Arrival a far FAR better game you should really be sinking your money into than this garbage.

I feel so sorry for all the tools out there getting used for this scam of a game.

As for the Potato Salad Kickstarter...THAT GUY isn't Lying. He's Simply making a Potato Salad which is now apparently going to be Live Streamed AND it's going to be 4x the Potato Salad, AND it's going to double as a Pizza Party, AND It'll be 2 different Potato Salad Recipes, AND it will have Better Mayonnaise, AND The Dude will call a chef for a Better Recipe, AND we forget about using 2 different recipes and 4x the salad it'll all be DOUBLED and there might be a 3RD recipe, AND It'll be at some Party Hall where the entire Internet is invite.

If that Dude Delivers Then He's WAY more truthful than the Yogcast guys AND This Areal thing. That's actually a WAY better Investment than a Game that will NEVER see the light of day. And all that guy said was he was making a Potato Salad.

#23 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

Woof. That Reddit AMA was bad just glancing through it.

Honestly, it's why i haven't donated to a Kickstarter before and I doubt I will anytime soon. Five or twenty dollars? Okay. But something substantial? I can't trust some people with my money to make a game I'm not even sure I'll enjoy in the end, if they'll even finish it. I've read a few too many horror stories now on Kickstarter projects, and while they might be the minority, it definitely leaves a bad impression on the whole lot.

This kind of mentality is absurd. So say you buy something off Amazon and you see the customer reviews for it. A handful are bad while the over-whelming majority are positive.

That is the exact same concept when it comes to Kickstarters. If you let the few color your feelings with regards to the many then you are doing everyone a disservice.

#24 Posted by edwardecl (2241 posts) -

As long as you know what you are getting yourself into when funding projects (you are not buying a finished product) then I don't see a problem here.

#25 Posted by zassimick (9467 posts) -

@airshocker said:

This kind of mentality is absurd. So say you buy something off Amazon and you see the customer reviews for it. A handful are bad while the over-whelming majority are positive.

That is the exact same concept when it comes to Kickstarters. If you let the few color your feelings with regards to the many then you are doing everyone a disservice.

I'd definitely say it's far and away from absurd, it's me remaining cautious with my money. I believe it's the poor Kickstarters that are doing the disservice; they certainly are shaping the landscape of the funding service and to ignore it is something that I personally think is absurd.

And of course, this is my own opinion on the matter. I've never been 100% on board with Kickstarter anyways so the bad stuff is more likely to influence my decision to continue staying away than it would people who have had great success with it already.

#26 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

@airshocker said:

I'd definitely say it's far and away from absurd, it's me remaining cautious with my money. I believe it's the poor Kickstarters that are doing the disservice; they certainly are shaping the landscape of the funding service and to ignore it is something that I personally think is absurd.

And of course, this is my own opinion on the matter. I've never been 100% on board with Kickstarter anyways so the bad stuff is more likely to influence my decision to continue staying away than it would people who have had great success with it already.

Of course you would say that. You're the person whose opinion I'm criticizing.

The fact remains that you are wrong for painting all Kickstarters with the errors of just a few.

#27 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

Areal is a scam and the devs are lying assholes.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18711 posts) -

People spent over 60k on potato salad, how does this surprise anyone?

#29 Posted by zassimick (9467 posts) -
@airshocker said:

@Zassimick said:

Of course you would say that. You're the person whose opinion I'm criticizing.

The fact remains that you are wrong for painting all Kickstarters with the errors of just a few.

I don't trust people enough to donate money from the get go, but hot damn if a couple of happenings reaffirms my feelings on the matter and keeps me cautious.

I'm glad your passionate about Kickstarter, and of course it is inspiring to see developers use this to produce their vision, but it was not something I saw myself supporting in terms of donating and the bad news stories I've read have impacted me, however wrong that is that I let them.