Why did Nintendo think they would gain 3rd Party support?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -
The wiiU is just like the wii. Underpowered and last gen. The only difference is that the wii actually sold well. The wiiu? lol. Did Nintendo think the wiiu would have good third party support just because it's more powerful than the wii? It just doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts?
#2 Posted by darkspineslayer (20343 posts) -
I think you should learn how generations are broken down. /thread
#3 Posted by KungfuKitten (21401 posts) -

I don't think they were counting on third party support. Or at least not a ton of it.

#4 Posted by clyde46 (47430 posts) -
Nintendo managed to sell the Wii on pretty much first party titles only.
#5 Posted by Audacitron (968 posts) -

The wiiU is just like the wii. Underpowered and last gen. The only difference is that the wii actually sold well. The wiiu? lol. Did Nintendo think the wiiu would have good third party support just because it's more powerful than the wii? It just doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? Kaszilla

I wouldn't assume they did.

The plan was more about fooling us into thinking it would happen.

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (44154 posts) -

Thoughts?

The PC and 360/PS3 shared plenty of multiplats last-gen. Many engines are scalable, and the WiiU is most certainly HD.

#7 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I remember Nintendo talking about how they wanted an online platform that could rival Xbox Live, and they wanted to make sure they didn't miss out on providing their customers the amount of entertainment that the Xbox and Playstation can.

Then the Wii U came out, and I was confused.

#8 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Same reason why Sony thought Vita would be a rising success.  Its called Delusion.

#9 Posted by clyde46 (47430 posts) -

Same reason why Sony thought Vita would be a rising success.  Its called Delusion.

jimmypsn
A problem you seem to have.
#10 Posted by fusionhunter (2009 posts) -
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

clyde46

Burrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn but the Vita shall grow.
#11 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

clyde46

Looks like I hit a nerve somewhere. LOL.
#12 Posted by clyde46 (47430 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

jimmypsn

#13 Posted by MasterX666 (359 posts) -
Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!
#14 Posted by Gue1 (11178 posts) -

Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!MasterX666

Seriously, I don't even know why the series' called Metroid anymore when they been extinct since a long time ago and the only one that survived gave its life to save Samus thinking she was the mother. So what is the plot these days? Are hey cloning metroids or something?

But the part that blows my mind is that Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon have sooooooo much potential to become something really amazing yet Nintendo just keeps doing the same thing over and over again with them! And then the stupid fans talk about those franchises like if they were the ultimate sht, somehow they always score well with reviewers too even though they are actually very archaic and stale and when people make polls about the company with the best 1st party support Nintendo always wins. But why? This is why I always say that Nintendo gets free passes because of nostalgia because there really isn't any other explanation.

#15 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="clyde46"] A problem you seem to have.

For being a hardcore hermit. You sure get mighty butthurt whenever I talk about the PS or Sony. lol
#16 Posted by clyde46 (47430 posts) -
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="jimmypsn"] Looks like I hit a nerve somewhere. LOL.

For being a hardcore hermit. You sure get mighty butthurt whenever I talk about the PS or Sony. lol

You can rip on Sony or the PS3/4 all you want. I'll just laugh at you when you make an idiot of yourself.
#17 Posted by King_Dodongo (3379 posts) -
[QUOTE="MasterX666"]Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!

Enjoy your "unique" :lol: and "mature" (double:lol:) and "fun" (hahaha) god of war games, which they only released one. (according to cows)
#18 Posted by MasterX666 (359 posts) -

[QUOTE="MasterX666"]Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!Gue1

Seriously, I don't even know why the series' called Metroid anymore when they been extinct since a long time ago and the only one that survived gave its life to save Samus thinking she was the mother. So what is the plot these days? Are hey cloning metroids or something?

I don'T know dude...My brother as a Wii for his 4 and 9 yr old kids cause they are not violent witch i feel is a good choice, but i'm sure he would prefer having a PS3. So kids! Get a Wii for you shouldn't be playing violent games. I have a soon to be 4yrs old and i wouldn't play MK or KZ in front of him...I play Pac-Man and Jet games. Cause that'S what a good parent does. Just be happy kids... You're the future and i don'T want to see you all shooting each other and trying to rip each others hearts just for cutting someone on the road ( Personnaly if i had a gun...everyone in my city would have a freaking flat LOL )
#19 Posted by MasterX666 (359 posts) -
[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"][QUOTE="MasterX666"]Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!

Enjoy your "unique" :lol: and "mature" (double:lol:) and "fun" (hahaha) god of war games, which they only released one. (according to cows)

Come back in 28 years and we will see if they still make GoW on PS. I've been here since they started kid... Super Mario World is still one of the best games ever made btw. Too bad you weren't there to enjoy that awsome moment in gaming history... BOOOYA!!!
#20 Posted by AHUGECAT (8967 posts) -

I remember Nintendo talking about how they wanted an online platform that could rival Xbox Live, and they wanted to make sure they didn't miss out on providing their customers the amount of entertainment that the Xbox and Playstation can.

Then the Wii U came out, and I was confused.

Ly_the_Fairy

I am not saying you are lying or anything but can you post a link to where Nintendo wanted an online system to rival Xbox Live?

#21 Posted by MasterX666 (359 posts) -

[QUOTE="MasterX666"]Mario this Mario that Mario now Mario then! Zelda in the past in the present in the future in the multiverse Pokemon bleu red yellow green gay straight emo squiggy asking for change Metroids will never get destroyed as they are the cancer of the universe Kid Icarus is a catholic preist wet dream GO NINTENDO in HD!!!Gue1

But the part that blows my mind is that Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon have sooooooo much potential to become something really amazing yet Nintendo just keeps doing the same thing over and over again with them! And then the stupid fans talk about those franchises like if they were the ultimate sht, somehow they always score well with reviewers too even though they are actually very archaic and stale and when people make polls about the company with the best 1st party support Nintendo always wins. But why? This is why I always say that Nintendo gets free passes because of nostalgia because there really isn't any other explanation.

All i know is that SNES was the best NINTENDO console ever! Mario - Zelda - Metroid - Castlevania - MegamanX - Final Fantasy 3 - Secret of Mana - Chrono Trigger - Contra - Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 - Killer Instinct
#22 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -
So, does Nintendo even want good 3rd party support? They need to cut the crap and start being competitive again.
#23 Posted by lundy86_4 (44154 posts) -

So, does Nintendo even want good 3rd party support? They need to cut the crap and start being competitive again.Kaszilla

How would we know?

#24 Posted by MasterX666 (359 posts) -
So, does Nintendo even want good 3rd party support? They need to cut the crap and start being competitive again.Kaszilla
I guess they needed SEGA to piss them of with there NINTENDON'T commercials lol
#25 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5739 posts) -

The wiiU is just like the wii. Underpowered and last gen. The only difference is that the wii actually sold well. The wiiu? lol. Did Nintendo think the wiiu would have good third party support just because it's more powerful than the wii? It just doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? Kaszilla
You speak the truth. People will ignore it..

#26 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]So, does Nintendo even want good 3rd party support? They need to cut the crap and start being competitive again.lundy86_4

How would we know?

SW seems to know everything.
#27 Posted by lundy86_4 (44154 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]So, does Nintendo even want good 3rd party support? They need to cut the crap and start being competitive again.Kaszilla

How would we know?

SW seems to know everything.

Not even a little.

#28 Posted by super600 (31018 posts) -

Ninty will gain japanese 3rd party support eventualy most likely, but I highly doubt they will gain third party support from western companies because of multiple reasons like Ninty's horrible past.

#29 Posted by AznbkdX (3548 posts) -

Well for one thing don't ever take what a company says or thinks about to heart. You will always be disappointed because it almost never ends the way you like. 

Secondly, define next generation. Please don't do it here though, just think about it.

#30 Posted by jsmoke03 (13125 posts) -

never too late. i think they will have all the jrpgs again this gen from third party publishers.

#31 Posted by BigBoss255 (3539 posts) -
The only possible explanation is that they thought PS3/360 would be around for another 2-3 years. Really the Wii U should have came out in 09 when people were calling for it. It's too late now we've moved on to PS4.
#32 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
arrogance.
#33 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8458 posts) -
After 3 generations of poor 3rd party support(4 if wii-u continues on doin' what it's doin') I'm starting to think that Nintendo doesn't want or cares about multiplats.
#34 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -

Well for one thing don't ever take what a company says or thinks about to heart. You will always be disappointed because it almost never ends the way you like. 

Secondly, define next generation. Please don't do it here though, just think about it.

AznbkdX
Current gen with last gen-esque hardware.
#35 Posted by AznbkdX (3548 posts) -

arrogance.campzor

Eh I don't feel it. Companies always try to jump through hoops, do parlor tricks, or anything else to get the attention of a consumer. This is just Ninty trying to get customers, just like every other company who tells little white lies. PR is a **** sometimes.

I don't think that Ninty thought they would get a bunch of support from third parties. That kind of stuff takes time especially on a rather less technically proficient system and from previous relations not being the best they could be. I'm sure they knew about the issues they would face, as Ninty might be different and stupid at moments but they have always been pretty smart overall.

Got to say though that it really didn't help them in that relation with the way they did go though. Inexpensive is good, and I bet they thought they would coast with NSMBU and previous success, but its a little too bare bones imo.

#36 Posted by mariokart64fan (19650 posts) -

Tc is very uneducated ,   

first of all lets get this so called last gen out of the way when xbox360 launched it only had 20 gigs of space for 400 dollars ,  

wiiu launched with 32 gigs at 350 , -50 dollars less , 

xbox360 also has less ram under the hood and does not have a gpucpu combo ,  

wiiu has 2 gigs of ram under the hood ,   

already its a step ahead of xbox360 

wiiu discs hold the same amount as a ps3 bluray   ,50 gig a 360 disc 9.5 gigs,   dvd9 

so how in any way is it last gen  i think need for speed mostwanted already proves wiiu is way ahead of 360 and ps3 in terms of graphics 

and yes you do need to learn what a generation means 

example 

nes 2600 sms are part of the 3rd gen , --nes was the weaker of that gen  behind sms but ahead of 2600

snes genesis tg16 32x scd are part of the 4th gen and the snes is more powerful - and is the only successful console to be more powerful the rest werent the powerful of their gen that sold the most in fact heres when this became obvious

ps1 n64 saturn and jag were part of gen 5 -and ps1 sold more but n64 was more powerful , 

ps2 gc xbox dc are part of gen 6 ,  dc is the least powerful followed by the best seller ps2 xbox and gc were the powerhouses of that gen  and both sold similarly 26-25 million units

xbox 360 wii ps3 are gen 7  ,    wii sold more but again was least powerful like ps1 like ps2 , and nes

thus i have proved to you , that generations does not mean graphics ,   being part of a new gen is just being released at a certain time gen 8 began with the 3ds and vita for handhelds extended with 3dsxl and wiiu ,  face the facts 

#37 Posted by Lionheart08 (15582 posts) -

Nintendo managed to sell the Wii on pretty much first party titles only.clyde46

The motion control, was the Wii's true selling point for the masses, not the first party titles.

#38 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Because its a next gen console thats why.

#39 Posted by hiphops_savior (8039 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Nintendo managed to sell the Wii on pretty much first party titles only.Lionheart08

Here's the thing though, the motion control, was the Wii's true selling point for the masses, not the first party titles.

People could care less about Motion controls. Wii Sports was what captured their imagination. Wii U doesn't have that title that could capture the audience and sell the touchscreen.
#40 Posted by Lionheart08 (15582 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Nintendo managed to sell the Wii on pretty much first party titles only.hiphops_savior

Here's the thing though, the motion control, was the Wii's true selling point for the masses, not the first party titles.

People could care less about Motion controls. Wii Sports was what captured their imagination. Wii U doesn't have that title that could capture the audience and sell the touchscreen.

And what exactly was it about Wii Sports that "captured their imagination?"

#41 Posted by AznbkdX (3548 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Kaszilla

Current gen with last gen-esque hardware.

Next gen is just terrible. It means two things according to some ppl. Both of them are not linear to each other if thinking generally but they can converge.

You are going the specs route so I'll just say that this specs thing does not adhere to its definitions. Never does it say that hardware must be powerful to be next gen. It only says that it must have progressive tech or the latest technology over the last in a product line. Even if you were to say that it must be the latest technology altogether, you would still be able to call the PS4 the same level as the WiiU, as nothing in that hardware is the latest as there is better stuff that has come out.

In this case, the WiiU is the first of its product line to incorporate the gamepad technology and is the first to dabble extensively from the Wii into social interaction no matter how small ala Miiverse. The PS4 has the new controller and cloud, which show that it is next gen to itself as well. Overall both are next gen in their own context, which I guess you could say that they are next gen completely. That is a fairly inductive bottom up stance, but I think its fine for this board.

#42 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8458 posts) -

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

Familiar sports in a nice little package and motion controls?
#43 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3637 posts) -

Thoughts?

The PC and 360/PS3 shared plenty of multiplats last-gen. Many engines are scalable, and the WiiU is most certainly HD.

lundy86_4

My thoughts are similar. Let's not forget that through much of the Wii's life, most of the industry was basically begging Nintendo to make an HD system that was comparable to the Xbox360 and PS3, and it wasn't because the Wii itself was failing at the time, as it most certainly wasn't doing that. Instead, most thought that instead of having a breakout console, like the Wii, Nintendo's priorities should have been on competing in the same manner that Sony and Microsoft were. Forget about the fact that the Wii had a market all to itself and a number of record-breaking exclusive software titles, Nintendo needed HD graphics, multiplats, and a conventional controller to be viable... if you listened to a lot of people in the Wii's hayday.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think about the Wii U, I think the system's existence at the moment is primarly because Nintendo actually listened and reacted to all that was being said about the Wii. They gave the industry an HD Nintendo system that dealt away with motion controls as the primary tool for gameplay and built, what they felt, was a pretty capable console in the specs department that can handle third party multiplatform games being built at the time. If there was a problem with Nintendo's strategy here, it would be the fact they actually listened and reacted to the industry's demands at all and killed a lot of the momentum and genius they have gained with the original Wii.

#44 Posted by Lionheart08 (15582 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] People could care less about Motion controls. Wii Sports was what captured their imagination. Wii U doesn't have that title that could capture the audience and sell the touchscreen.MFDOOM1983

That was actually my initial point. Hiphops_savior was saying it was Wii Sports, not motion control, that was system seller. :P

#45 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

Gue1

I'm assuming you heard someone say that somewhere else, and thought it was cool? The last two Zeldas invested into a control form entirely different than before - with Skyward Sword culminating in nearly 1:1 motion controls. Metroid transitioned from a 2D perspective to a 3D perspective in what is likely its best series of Metroid Games (Metroid Prime) - further enhanced by using the IR pointer rather than some crappy dual-analog control. I agree with Pokemon.

'Nintendo gets free passes because of nostalgia' - you say this after claiming that Nintendo not only has fantastic critical praise, but the people love the company. And you ask why? Are you dumb, or delusional to the point you think you're the self-entitled platform judge, and nobody (Considering Wii and DS, more than a couple hundred million) is right if they disagree with you? Don't be conceited.

#46 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I am glad to see this happening. I want to see the WiiU fail. I am tired of Nintendo releasing crappy last gen systems with gimmick controllers. Maybe their next system will be on par with the rest of the industry. They also need to get off their lazy ass and start making new IPs and letting the old ones rest for a number of years.
#47 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I don't think they expected to get 3rd Party but they are making attempts to get 3rd Party support and they will be announcing their efforts at GDC.

#48 Posted by hiphops_savior (8039 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

That was actually my initial point. Hiphops_savior was saying it was Wii Sports, not motion control, that was system seller. :P

Wii Sports showed everyone what applications Motion controls have on video gaming. As far as I'm concerned, that's a system seller. So yes, you're right. Motion controls did sell. Wii Sports is what got people sold on the concept of motion controls to begin with. If that wasn't the case, why did the PS Move do so poorly yet the Kinect started selling when games like Dance Central came out?
#49 Posted by hiphops_savior (8039 posts) -
I am glad to see this happening. I want to see the WiiU fail. I am tired of Nintendo releasing crappy last gen systems with gimmick controllers. Maybe their next system will be on par with the rest of the industry. They also need to get off their lazy ass and start making new IPs and letting the old ones rest for a number of years.AmazonTreeBoa
Like Endless Ocean or Kid Icarus Uprising? There won't be another New Super Mario Bros game any time soon, and in the mean time, tell that to Sony for milking God of War and Killzone.
#50 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I am glad to see this happening. I want to see the WiiU fail. I am tired of Nintendo releasing crappy last gen systems with gimmick controllers. Maybe their next system will be on par with the rest of the industry. They also need to get off their lazy ass and start making new IPs and letting the old ones rest for a number of years.hiphops_savior
Like Endless Ocean or Kid Icarus Uprising? There won't be another New Super Mario Bros game any time soon, and in the mean time, tell that to Sony for milking God of War and Killzone.

2 Killzone games and 4 GoW games one the PS3 is not milking, but your attempt to make it look that way is amusing.