mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Quite frankly I'm not surprised there's so much backlash for the game on this site. EO is far from popular in this day and age, and I really think the style of game only applies to those of us who enjoy classic RPG throwbacks.

That and many users here aren't mature enough to play a game with chibi visuals lest they feel their masculinity diminish.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
@Slashkice said:

1. I don't like mapping in any capacity
2. Once More >>>>>>> EO's battle system
3. No social links
4. EO-styled art direction sucks

It's just not for me. :x

Are you saying it's ugly? How could you say it's ugly? COULD YOU SAY THAT TO NANAKO, HUH? HUH!?

Now that I'm calm...

If mapping and the art style (you monster) really are that big a turn-off for you, then fair enough. I would say though that PQ's battle system is far less exploitable than Once More, making combat more tense as one person can't wipe out the entire enemy group in one turn, leaving you open to counter-attack if no one can follow-up. Social Links wouldn't really work as a mechanic when the relationships have already been established, but that's alright since there are plenty of scenes where the cast interacts with everyone else, often with amusing results.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Said STFU to my backlog and bought it today. Can't play because I'm studying for a test that was scheduled after thanksgiving break and I forgot everything. :(

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Technoweirdo: Hanakana is better than Engrish

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@farrell2k: @Heil68: Lol @ being too old to play certain games. Society played its part on you both. Learn to think for yourselves.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

@farrell2k: @Heil68: Lol @ being too old to play certain games. Society played its part on you both. Learn to think for yourselves.

Nothing about age, I dont like handhelds. I play JRPGs.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Heil68: Fair enough, my statement applies to the other person though

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#108  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I don't like the persona series

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#109  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Mapping and the combination of its 'level design' makes me feel like exploring and crawling is a matter of playing the UI on the map rather than moving though and observing the environment. I probably only start caring what's ahead when a FOE or something shows up. Legend Of Grimrock 2 (A Cheaper and high quality game) gets the balance right, Persona Q does not.

Combat is fine, adds Persona's presentation to give it more presence and character. I prefer the way Control works in the core persona games than what's here in Q, though. But the general flow is pretty much the same.

The lack of Social Links is not present to break up the grind. This feels like the Awakening Chapter in P3: FES

I actually like the more streamlined Fuse system. It's closer to Devil Survivor than Persona in that is more about adding flexibility to a party member than it is about the hard min/maxing and carrying over of stats (which honestly, made plenty of personas redundant in past games). One drawback is that I can only have species of Persona each so it's artificially more annoying to manage.

It's a good game, it's just that there are other games available this year that are just better and that I'd want to play more.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#111 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Slashkice said:

1. Frequently going back and forth from dungeons and shops doesn't sound like a good time to me. :x

2. Eh, I wouldn't say it combines them as much as it tries to cram Persona's style into EO's shell. Dropping the Once More mechanics for the Boost system doesn't jive with me.

3. I know there are dialogue choices, but it's not the same as full-blown social links. Just the general day-to-day stuff in Persona 3/4 is half the game to me, and its absence here is noted.

4. If I'm going to look at something for hours and hours and hours, I think it's fair to want it to be visually appealing to me.

1. If you played Persona or any Shin Megami Games then why are you complaining about this as they ALL do exactly just that. Seems like a silly complaint if you ask me.

2. Eh fair point, but I feel like it's a nice blend of the two.

3. No, but it's just more of your favorite P3 and P4 cast members talking, what's not to love?

4. The only real complaint you have is that you don't like the graphics of the game, a real shame, you're missing out.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#113 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Slashkice said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

1. If you played Persona or any Shin Megami Games then why are you complaining about this as they ALL do exactly just that. Seems like a silly complaint if you ask me.

Because they don't? Frequently abandoning the dungeon in Persona 3/4 to shop is just wasting days. Unless you mean the fox, but I never really used him either. Even in Nocturne/IV, if I'm in a dungeon, I'm in it for the long haul. If PQ differs in that respect, I don't find it appealing.

I always found myself going back to get more potions or a better weapon in Shin Megami IV or Persona 3/4.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
@Slashkice said:

Seperate post: Not ugly per se, but definitely vastly inferior to the original artstyle~

-----

Because they don't? Frequently abandoning the dungeon in Persona 3/4 to shop is just wasting days. Unless you mean the fox, but I never really used him either. Even in Nocturne/IV, if I'm in a dungeon, I'm in it for the long haul. If PQ differs in that respect, I don't find it appealing.

You shut your mouth. :x A Marie by any other style is just as cute! I'll give you P3/P4 MC, Akihiko, and Kanji. Maybe some of the girls. I don't think they transitioned well.

-----

IV you're in for the long haul after Naraku. Before, not so much because people are going to die. Frequently. In regular encounters. Post-Naraku is easier. At all times, you can abuse the save-anywhere system.

In EO, you're gonna have to leave the dungeon every now and then because people die in horrible ways because the combat system and save system isn't easily exploitable. Thankfully, there is Floor Jumping, shortcuts, and escape items unlike SMTIV so it's not -that- bad. It's not all that dissimilar to Dark Souls when you think about it. Live. Die. Repeat.

@funsohng said:
Hanakana is better than Engrish

Hanakana is better than a lot of things~

@illmatic87 said:

Mapping and the combination of its 'level design' makes me feel like exploring and crawling is a matter of playing the UI on the map rather than moving though and observing the environment. I probably only start caring what's ahead when a FOE or something shows up. Legend Of Grimrock 2 (A Cheaper and high quality game) gets the balance right, Persona Q does not.

Fair enough. FOE-less segments aren't very engaging and they do crop up every now and then. Like a Dark Souls without enemies. I'd argue it's a pacing thing though as, unlike Dark Souls, FOEs aren't easy to kill when you initially encounter them. Curious as to what Grimrock does.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#115 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Too Japaneezy for me.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#116 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

When the hell is GS gonna actually review this game?