Why aren't 3rd party supporting the Vita like they did PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by me2002 (1336 posts) -

Within the 1st 2 years,

Rockstar made Liberty City and Vice City(huge sales) but nothing for the vita

Konami made MGS Portable ops and Metal Gear Acid series but only a port for Vita so far

Namco made a good Ridge Racer for PSP but an absolute shit one for Vita

Also Capcom's Monster Hunter's(huge in Japan) has gone to 3DS and not Vita

So why?

#2 Edited by Devil-Itachi (4380 posts) -

PSP had higher expectations and since it didn't work out they played it safe with Vita and just put ports, they don't sell they drop support. Nintendo is stuck in this same cycle on consoles.

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17521 posts) -

Rockstar sure made a lot of awesome handheld GTAs last gen: LCS, VCS and Chinatown Wars. It seems to me they switched over to smartphone/tablets with their ports of GTA III and Vice City, shame.

#4 Edited by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

They moved on to smartphones and 3DS

#5 Posted by Supabul (3863 posts) -

Piracy

#6 Posted by me2002 (1336 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

good point, Rockstar and SE and others has been making phone and tablet games.

also maybe their games didn't sell well on psp

also when they saw the 3DSvsVita playing out like DSvsPSP they went over to 3DS (Monster hunter, Kingdom Hearts etc.)

#7 Edited by osan0 (13028 posts) -

why would they? the growth is in tablets and phones. have any of the big titles from 3rd parties like assasins creed been profitable? just checking creed sold 0.76 million at retail (i know lol vgchartz. other sources seem to put it at 600k). is that enough for ubisoft to sit up and take notice?

sony need to provide a good reason for them to work on vita titles and that means sharing the risk: i.e. splashing the cash or showing a market exists for what 3rd parties are making on the vita.

so far there is no evidence that there are enough active vita users. just checked killzone mercenary sales....abysmal would be kind. killzone 2 and 3 sold around around 2.7 million a piece (again, lol vgchartz..if anyone has better sources do post em). so not even the sony faithful are buying games for the vita (and mercenary is a good game...well worth a play).

3rd party games sell on Xbox, playstation console and PC. this is proven so support will continue. no evidence exists that 3rd party games sell on nintendo consoles or playstation handhelds so they are not interested.

#8 Edited by me2002 (1336 posts) -

@osan0:

I agree smartphones and tablets is one cause

do vgcharts(and other sources) count digital downloads?

I also agree Sony needs to do something about the Vita if they want it to fair better...throw money to 3rd party for support. If they can get a GTA, MGS, FF(or major SE rpg) and Monster Hunter, and also providing more 1st party support along with a price drop I can see a turnaround.....but how likely do you guys think it is...?

#9 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Piracy and Tablets. That market is profitable.

The Piracy on the PSP is rampant.

#10 Edited by osan0 (13028 posts) -

@me2002 said:

@osan0:

I agree smartphones and tablets is one cause

do vgcharts(and other sources) count digital downloads?

I also agree Sony needs to do something about the Vita if they want it to fair better...throw money to 3rd party for support. If they can get a GTA, MGS, FF(or major SE rpg) and Monster Hunter, and also providing more 1st party support along with a price drop I can see a turnaround.....but how likely do you guys think it is...?

as far as i know vgchartz does not include digital. even in very generous estimations of digital sales though the performance of those games is not enough to get interest from the major 3rd parties. it probably indicates that sony are making the wrong types of games overall.

the vita also had a price drop recently and it did zip in terms of sales. the price is not the problem. in fairness it is pretty good value for money (well except the memory cards...those are grossly overpriced).

will sony throw money at 3rd parties and further develop the first party library? i really do hope so but i am not encouraged.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

@me2002 said:
@charizard1605 said:

good point, Rockstar and SE and others has been making phone and tablet games.

also maybe their games didn't sell well on psp

also when they saw the 3DSvsVita playing out like DSvsPSP they went over to 3DS (Monster hunter, Kingdom Hearts etc.)

Basically, yes. Nintendo courted the PSP third parties for 3DS in Japan, retained the DS third party support for the 3DS anyway, and most western third parties moved on to iOS and Android.

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (14733 posts) -

it was too expenisve at launch which leads to low sales...which makes developers scared... making vita games is also more expenisive...

now people have a bias on vita because of the bad launch...

lol almost same as the wiiu