Why are Sony long-running sequels still exciting while MS or Ninny gets bashed for staleness?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

So there's Uncharted 4 just around the bend and there'd be next God of War in some unspecified future (it was featured on teaser graphics art for recent PlayStation Experience event). Those games get massive hype behind them but when there's another entry of a long-running series for MS or Ninty, they get bashed for being more of the same,etc.

What gives? What elevates those Sony games above other numerous sequels so that the Japanese corporation gets a free pass on that?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I don't think another God of War will get all that much hype unless it really blows minds. Santa Monica should be making a new IP instead like Guerrilla Games is.

Uncharted 4 will be released over 4 years after 3 and hasn't been milked with spinoffs like God of War, Halo, Mario and other franchises have.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: You rightfully didn't include Gears because Gears were released in slightly bigger intervals but Gears 4 did seem stale to many System Warriors here even if the last proper one was quite a long time ago (if you don't count Judgement).

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I guess due to how long running they are, and how spread out they are, along with those games not being the ONLY major exclusives for that platform. But noooo company is immune.

I mean Uncharted has only been going since 2007, with only 3 main games (currently) on the home console but releases along with a varied roster of complimentary exclusives.

Meanwhile something like Halo has been going since 2001, and is 1 of a 3 main game series for XBox, with 7 titles to its name. The other 2 games of the 3 game roster is Forza which has a release every year and is currently standing at an impressive 8 games since only 2004(?), and Gears which is alright since that has had 4 games (currently) and started 2005.

I believe God of War does get bashed did being more of the same, which is probably why we haven't had any God of War games since 2013's Ascension, and even that got heavily criticised.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The premise of this thread appears to be faulty.

DarkrecoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkrecoN
Member since 2015 • 291 Posts

Sony gets a free pass all round. Question answered

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

I'm a fan of PS games, but I think some of them are really tired.

Namely, God of War. Santa Monica should work on a new IP.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

May be due to perceived notion of Sony making somewhat more effort in developing new IPs.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I don't think Uncharted is on the same boat as God of War but I do agree that God of War has gone on a bit too long but I wouldn't knock the next God of War until we see it because it might just be that it carries the same franchise name but is dramatically different. Either way, God of War is a beloved PlayStation franchise so it'll always make people happy.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
@koko-goal said:

I'm a fan of PS games, but I think some of them are really tired.

Namely, God of War. Santa Monica should work on a new IP.

Santa Monica did try making a new IP but it got canned in 2014. People say that the game cost a ton of money to develop and wasn't coming together towards the end. I don't doubt that they'll be working on another IP but they're at the moment focused on Xdev games (like 5 of them) plus the new God of War game (AAA side of things).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I actually wish Sony could deliver on sequels like they use to, new Killzone isn't anything like the older Killzones in design, DriveClub looks awful compared to the awesomeness that was the first two Motorstorm games for the PS3.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

What a flawed OP. People that like said series no matter what they play on will be excited. Those that aren't won't be. /thread

So salty all the time.....

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#13 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@darkrecon said:

This.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@svaubel said:
@darkrecon said:

This.

Also salty....

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Because Sony's first party is 10x superior to crap like 343i.

DarkrecoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkrecoN

@LJS9502_basic: how so

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: @koko-goal:

Are you and others saying GOW because of all the re-releases?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Sony gives their developers much more freedom. Their studios do whatever they want, it's something Naughty Dog praised them for. Neil Druckmann was asked why he doesn't leave Sony and make his own studio and he said why would he when he gets a big budget and the freedom to do what he wants.

They're not MS that makes studios into factories for pumping out games from the same series all the time. 343i/The Coalition/Turn 10/Lionhead - Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable. Phil Spencer has been improving them in some regard, but they're still not there yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@svaubel said:
@darkrecon said:

This.

Also salty....

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#20 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Fans of whatever console will often have fandom-blindness towards whatever series that others might find dried up and boring. It depends on whether nostalga blinds them, whether they're noobs to the series or they've burned out on the series.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

GOW hype? are u kidding me

cows here constantly bash the gow franchise

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I don't think another God of War will get all that much hype unless it really blows minds. Santa Monica should be making a new IP instead like Guerrilla Games is.

Uncharted 4 will be released over 4 years after 3 and hasn't been milked with spinoffs like God of War, Halo, Mario and other franchises have.

this.

People are still flying high with ND because of TLoU and just about all the people who bought TLoU were already Uncharted fans. Another thing with U4 hype is that it looks different and is doing different things than the other Uncharted games, HALO and Gears seem like the same old stuff.

You dont really many people hyped for another GOW. Im a GOW fan, but I dont think there needs to be more GOW and most people are feeling that way.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: they usually have better stories than something like halo, gears, mario or Zelda that keeps people interested And invested into the lore, world, characters of the game. The continuation of the stories helps push new games as well, and games like Uncharted and God of War did an okay job with that at the end of each game.

Think of how much Halos recent games have been knocked for having weak stories and you have your answer and comparison basically.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jcrame10

@lamprey263: if only we could get another motorstorm. Too bad it'll prolly never happen. It's in game heaven with Jet Moto, Resistance and MediEvil.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@darkrecon said:

This ^^^^ is the correct answer.

Sony always gets a pass while Nintendo and MS are constantly being trashed by the Sony fanboys.

Vicodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vicodin
Member since 2015 • 47 Posts
@EG101 said:
@darkrecon said:

This ^^^^ is the correct answer.

Sony always gets a pass while Nintendo and MS are constantly being trashed by the Sony fanboys.

New Years Day butthurt.

A whole lot more to come.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Fans of a franchise are generally always going to get excited for new entrees in their beloved franchise. I think the reason that you see more bashing of Microsoft and Nintendo's franchises is because Sony fanboys tend to be the most hypocritical and aggressive group of fanboys when it comes to bashing the other consoles and defending their own.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@svaubel said:
@darkrecon said:

This.

Seems that way. Similar to anything related to PC gaming.

Vicodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vicodin

@makemefamous07 said:

Alot of the Sonys long running games are getting really stale or have been stale for 5 years or longer.

Yes. That is why Sony's PS3 was the top selling console worldwide right up to the PS4 which immediately took over the top selling console worldwide each month.

LOL

I love these long and detailed explanations from gamers with crappy tastes giving their AUTHORITATIVE opinion on the most popular gaming console in the world's library.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcrame10

@makemefamous07 said:

Alot of the Sonys long running games are getting really stale or have been stale for 5 years or longer. R&C series is pretty much dead. No one bought All 4 One/ Into the Nexus/ The Collection etc etc all of which tanked since Sony spammed the hell out of that series. Glad its dead cuz R&C never evolved. Same garbage platforming since the PS2 days. This new one coming out will fail again for Insomoniac since it launching against HUGE 3rd party games & Uncharted 4 (unless its delayed again lol). So im sure Insomoniac is pretty pissed that Sony is doing that lol.

God of war is stale since God of war 3 & how dull & safe they played it after the masterpiece of GOW2. Every other game has been average & dull story which leads to no where. Yakuza series has been dead from the get go lol. Idk why these Bruce Lee japan game even keeps coming out if no one wants them here.

Only good series Sony has is Uncharted that can build up some hype. Although for me the hype went down by alot because of all these delays/ the fake release dates & knowing that u know wat u r gonna get out of the game. Cheesy love story/ Drake falling down in a rabbit hole & digging himself out or watever lol. But yeah thats about it

Besides The Division, what else is coming out in March-April that's a "big" third party title? I agree there's no denying Ratchet could have some competition, but the series is far from dead. Check out views and reception of E3 trailers as well as trailers for the movie coming out. There's a lot of hype surrounding the franchise, and Sony's marketing for it will probably pick up even more starting in a few weeks.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@vicodin said:
@makemefamous07 said:

Alot of the Sonys long running games are getting really stale or have been stale for 5 years or longer.

Yes. That is why Sony's PS3 was the top selling console worldwide right up to the PS4 which immediately took over the top selling console worldwide each month.

LOL

I love these long and detailed explanations from gamers with crappy tastes giving their AUTHORITATIVE opinion on the most popular gaming console in the world's library.

You're wrong. The wii was the top selling console for the first full four years of last gen(2007,2008,2009 and if I recall 2010) WW. The PS3 most likely lead after that, but it did not lead by much over the Xbox 360.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@storm_of_swords said:

Fans of a franchise are generally always going to get excited for new entrees in their beloved franchise. I think the reason that you see more bashing of Microsoft and Nintendo's franchises is because Sony fanboys tend to be the most hypocritical and aggressive group of fanboys when it comes to bashing the other consoles and defending their own.

I find all fan boys do that so I can't call any better or worst...well okay I'm going to give Nintendo fans a pass. I actually don't see them doing much of that. Sony and MS however with a little PC sprinkled in......

Vicodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vicodin

@super600 said:
@vicodin said:
@makemefamous07 said:

LOL

You're wrong. The wii was the top selling console for the first full four years of last gen(2007,2008,2009 and if I recall 2010) WW. The PS3 most likely lead after that, but it did not lead by much over the Xbox 360.

Nope.

The PS3 took over the worldwide sales lead month by month after 3.5 years from the Wii and continued to lead right up to the launch of the PS4.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Well speaking purely on the basis of Naught Dog and Uncharted, I think it's because they've never let a series overstay it's welcome.

Remember, up until now they have been a one series per gen team. PS1 was just Crash, PS2 was just Jak, neither series outstayed it's welcome and left Naughty Dog while at the top of their game (of course both series carried on for a bit with other devs/publishers but that was nothing to do with Naughty Dogs). PS3 was the first system to have more than one new IP from Naughty Dog, Uncharted and The Last of Us, and PS4 is the first time an IP has carried over. They have also said Uncharted 4 will be the final game staring Nathan Drake, which leads most people to assume it'll be the final Uncharted game, so people are more willing to overlook it.

Also just as a side note. I really don't think many people bash Nintendo for been stale. The majority of their long running IP's change up a lot from game to game. No one can look at Super Mario Galaxy and say it's the same thing as 3D World, or Sunshine. I mean sure the core elements stay the same, because they have to, but Nintendo always comes up with a way to make each game feel different from the last. Honestly, most just bash Nintendo because they don't want to buy an additional system just to play their games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@vicodin said:
@super600 said:
@vicodin said:
@makemefamous07 said:

LOL

Nope.

The PS3 took over the worldwide sales lead month by month after 3.5 years from the Wii and continued to lead right up to the launch of the PS4.

Yeah I don't believe the PS3 surpassed the Wii U.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@svaubel said:
@darkrecon said:

This.

qsrtx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By qsrtx123
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

The media is extremely biased toward Sony, especially massive Sony nut huggers like Greg Miller and Colon Moriarty

@RTUUMM said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

this.

People are still flying high with ND because of TLoU and just about all the people who bought TLoU were already Uncharted fans. Another thing with U4 hype is that it looks different and is doing different things than the other Uncharted games, HALO and Gears seem like the same old stuff.

You dont really many people hyped for another GOW. Im a GOW fan, but I dont think there needs to be more GOW and most people are feeling that way.

This may be the single biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Uncharted 4 literally looks exactly the same as the first 3 games. Same exact mechanics, same cover based shooting, same dumbed down melee system, same scripted events, same everything. In fact I guarantee that you cannot name more than 1-2 new mechanics in Uncharted 4 or the entire Uncharted series in general, where I can name at least 5-6 for Halo 5 alone. That's because Naughty Dog isn't a good game designer, their design philosophy is smoke and mirrors designed to cover up the weak gameplay mechanics. Graphics and presentation take priority over interesting mechanics and design which are barren in Naughty Dog games.

Halo and Gears are fundamentally the same but at the very least they add new mechanics and modes. Each sequel to Halo and Gears alone added more to it's gameplay than the entire Uncharted series combined. And if we included modes like Horde Mode in Gears and Forge in Halo, they individually eclipse anything and everything Naughty Dog has ever done when it comes to sequels to their games.

DarkrecoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkrecoN

@quadknight: the truth hurts more. Funny how my comment gets you drones worked up

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

God of War has got stale, I don't think anyone is particularly excited for another one, they should have stopped after the third one.

Uncharted has one more game left in it then I would say it's over.

Microsoft IP is just not that exciting because it's the same games being pushed, Halo, Gears and they are not exciting because they are not even being made by their original creators. The best games on Microsoft consoles come from third parties for the most part, in Sony's case that isn't true, there is a constant stream of new stuff both failures and successes, they invest in things that become big hits from out of nowhere.

There is not a single exclusive game on Xbox that I would buy even if released on PS4 or PC, that tells you something.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Probably because Sony invests in new IP in between these titles while M$ does not.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@senses_fail_06 said:

Probably because Sony invests in new IP in between these titles while M$ does not.

Every year, while I can't get away from brands completely,

I noticed that I definitely am attracted to fresh experiences for the most part (I got a lot of strange indies this year as well):

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

UC4 hasn't even come out yet.

Theres like 4 GoW games.

In contrast....theres like 6 Halo games not including the MCC remaster of 4 of them.

Nintendo has like 5 Smash Bros games, and 10 or so Zelda, Mario Kart and Mario games.

Very different.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

UC4 hasn't even come out yet.

Theres like 4 GoW games.

In contrast....theres like 6 Halo games not including the MCC remaster of 4 of them.

Nintendo has like 5 Smash Bros games, and 10 or so Zelda, Mario Kart and Mario games.

Very different.

Doesn't seem too different.

4 Uncharted games in one and a half gens.

4 GoWs in 3 gens.

Both Gow and Uncharted have remasters too.

6 Halo games in 3 gens.

5 Smash Bros games since the N64.

10 or so Zelda games since the Nes.

Mario Kart and other Mario games etc have a similar situation.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

They aren't exciting. Who the **** is saying sequels are exciting? In fact besides GTA4 on pc (I still have issues with this game fucking DRM sucks) I haven't enjoyed a single sequel I've purchased all year and don't plan on buying any more sequels of any series in the future. I'm sick of the same characters and stories. Until I see some decent original games I'm staying away from these companies products. Hell I don't even own a console anymore which says a lot about how much I don't like what these major companies are doing with their shit.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

In fairness, Halo is also out on the market 6 years longer than Uncharted.

Uncharted 4 is just more of the same imo. It will have great voice acting, globe trotting, some secret civilization, part of the world, treasure; someone be it Elena, Sully, Nate's bro or Nate will die. There will be platforming, puzzles, shootouts, high pressure chases with shootouts. And it will be a blast to play imo as Halo 5 was, Rise of TR was.

As to your question TC, the PS is the world wide favorite system and most people do little criticizing of what they like.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The premise of this thread appears to be faulty.

My thoughts also.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

I think Sony's long running series' are getting tired too. I'm a ps4 owner with no interest in Uncharted 4 (even though I enjoyed the first 3) or God of War 4. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed when Naughty Dog would create a new series at the start of every generation as opposed to doing more of the same. I've played enough Uncharted on the ps3 and want new experiences on my ps4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Honestly I'm more interested to see Sony new IPs like horizon or The Last Guardian then its long running franchises. I mean, ill buy the next Uncharted and GoW games but I'm honestly not really that excited

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

They don't, people bash Uncharted just like Halo and Mario get bashed. Like there weren't a million Halo hype threads/posts to go along with the bashing ones, maybe not as much with Mario recently since Wii U hasn't sold so well.

@Vatusus Well to be fair we did also get The Last of Us last gen. But I do agree with you. I would like to see a new game from Naughty Dog that's more about having fun than telling a story like the Crash games.