Why are sniper rifles so OP in every single MP game?

• 64 results
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I could go way way back to Aliens vs Predator 2 when you could have been carefully stalking someone as an Alien for 10 seconds without him seeing you, but in the very last moment he could've spotted you and aimed at you in a matter of miliseconds and killed you every single time.

I despise sniper rifles in MP-based games, they rarely reward "true skill", it's just the level design a lot of times faciliates camping and thus even in Titanfall there are a lot of jerks overusing them camping for the entire time at the rooftops. I think sniper rifles shouldn't be so OP in most of MP games and in some games they shouldn't even exist in the first place. I love frantic gameplay without aiming down the sights, I don't like aiming down the sights and I like sniper rifles even less. To me mechanically milking easy kills isn't a way to go, I'd rather have fun despite not always killing somebody. Anyway, a game like Titanfall could've used more variety among weapons, weapons that would truly mesh with the wallrunning nature of the game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Because they are overpowered in real life as well .

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

i main sniper in most shooters ,so no,its not about the easy kills ,its more about the patience and taking good cover and move to another position, sure most snipers camp but if someone is smart they know where u are and u are dead ,so simple.

snipers exist in real life and so they will always be a sniper weapon in shooters, if you dont know how to counter them then learn it .dont blame the mechanics of a game or real life....

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

because they are sniper rifles dammit

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@skanjos said:

i main sniper in most shooters ,so no,its not about the easy kills ,its more about the patience and taking good cover and move to another position, sure most snipers camp but if someone is smart they know where u are and u are dead ,so simple.

snipers exist in real life and so they will always be a sniper weapon in shooters, if you dont know how to counter them then learn it .dont blame the mechanics of a game or real life....

I can counter them but FOV in Titanfall is narrow and the fact it's 792p on Xbone doesn't help either, so the camper has more than perfect view on everything while you try to make out the details. So you're bound to be at a disadvantage. I know how to deal with them but sometimes it takes too much time to get to such a spot and when you're already engaged in several firefights, it's not so easy to get to point where you originally wanted to go.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I use sniper rifles as the perfect example of why I find it difficult to get into multiplayer shooters. They allow the opponent to shoot you in the back of the head and there is really no way to defend against it. I feel like shooters are a cowards game. I just can't get into that.

I'm a fighter man myself. It's just you put up against your opponent. No hiding. It's just skill against skill as purely as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Gah thought this was gonna be a sniper thread. :p

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

all snipers in games should be bolt shot meaning u have to reload after 1 shot.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pikminmaniac

@Desmonic: Parody of what?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

In real life, a snipe can spend days setting up a shot. In videogames, that's not the case.

Then again, most of the shots people take in videogames with "sniper rifles" could very easily be done with a more traditional assault rifle. It's not uncommon for someone who is a rated marksman to take 600yd or longer shots very easily with something like a SCAR. You could even make a 1000yd shot or longer with a SCAR provided you have the correct optics. Nevermind the fact it is essentially a .308 round, which will always hit a target hard when it gets there.

So, to answer the question. Yes, Snipers are kinda OP, but then again most everything else about FPSes is kinda stupidly nerfed when compared to IRL. Don't expect realism in games and you'll have way more fun.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Gears Of War 2 and 3 did Sniper Rifles right.... Its only effective if you nail a headshot... It takes 3 to 4 body shots to kill someone with that thing.

I think the reason FPSs don't do this is because of the constant bunny hopping, so they just said **** it and made body shots more lethal.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

Hey I'm a fighter fan too :)

Howver I am open to some hiding and sneak attacks.... Because thats what Ninjas Do....

Speaking of which... Whats your oppinion on Spies vs. Mercs ?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@Lulu_Lulu: Spies vs mercs? huh? Ido not follow

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I use sniper rifles as the perfect example of why I find it difficult to get into multiplayer shooters. They allow the opponent to shoot you in the back of the head and there is really no way to defend against it. I feel like shooters are a cowards game. I just can't get into that.

Consolite.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

Its the Splinter Cell Multiplayer mode... Spies use stealth mechanics and mercs use FPS mechanics.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pikminmaniac

@jg4xchamp said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Consolite.

Are there not a whole bunch of variables in shooters that detract from a pure person to person interaction? There's just too many cross hairs that a cheap kill seems inevitable.

Of course, I don't really play shooters so I'm ready to be proven wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the genre. I feel both fighters and RTS games remove as many variables that might detract from a skillful display/fair fight.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Nothing wrong with not liking them, and nothing wrong in liking them either. What's wrong is forcing one's preference on others.

If you don't like them just rent your own dedicated server and make it clear in the description that snipers aren't allowed.

I've just renewed my rented BF4 dedicated server on PS4 for another 3 months, the server title is "Bolt Action Snipers only", yet I get people messaging me complaining my admins are kicking / banning them for using primary weapons other than Bolt Action Sniper rifles.

When I tell them, "but that's the whole point of the server", they reply with; "ya, but TDM allows for any weapon, I'd like to play with whatever weapon I like".

No matter how many times I tell them there are plently of TDM servers out there they could enjoy without restriction and if they wish to play on my rented server they have to promise to abide by the rules, they simply don't seem to get it.

It's somehow weird seeing people not understanding that one's preference shouldn't be forced on the majority.

So, if you'd like to restrict sniper rifles, my advice is to rent your own server.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

I support a moderate amount of variables.... A game shouldn't be too predictable, a few gaps here and there allows for some creativity and improvisation.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Pikminmaniac said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Consolite.

Are there not a whole bunch of variables in shooters that detract from a pure person to person interaction? There's just too many cross hairs that a cheap kill seems inevitable.

Of course, I don't really play shooters so I'm ready to be proven wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the genre. I feel both fighters and RTS games remove as many variables that might detract from a skillful display/fair fight.

You are being ignorant to plenty of shooters that have a much higher skill ceiling for just the pure gun action (Quake, Unreal, Counterstrike), you are being ignorant to the fact that shooters are primarily team games that come down to coordination, on the fly tactics/anticipation/adjustments, and knowing your surrounding and using it to your advantage and the tools at your disposal. Gorilla tactics are by no means bad design, it comes down to you out thinking the other team. Camping is shit, that's different thing entirely.

I much prefer a fighting game for a competitive fix as I can actually watch Evo and not fall into a coma, there is something gloriously pure about it (kind of like gaming's equivalent of boxing). That however does not change the fact that you are fucking ignorant to better, balanced, and well thought out shooters. Call of Duty? Is spastic running around like a chicken with your head cut off, Battlefield has one too many things going on to be some supreme competitive shooter (it's fun for its chaos though), but Counterstrike was and is a thing, Unreal was a thing, Quake was a thing, and there wasn't anything about those games that didn't come down to "oh you died? suck less bitch".

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

they rarely reward "true skill",

Also this is straight bullshit, given how patient have to be, how much more specific you have to be with a sniper to get a kill (usually head shot or bust in good first person shooters), how much you are dependent on not only lining up your shot, but maybe leading your shot and pacing it to make sure it hits the mark, accounting for bullet drop in some games, and all that jazz. A great sniper can break competitive games wide open, and that's partially because there is some genuine skill required in dropping faces in a multiplayer game.

Even in something like Battlefield a sniper can be handled given how chaotic those games are, how much is going on, and more importantly given that those games are objective based stuff like Conquest/Rush, the sniper probably isn't actually attacking what he/she needs to be getting.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pikminmaniac

@jg4xchamp: I already admitted I was not very aware of the shooter scene and was speaking with very little experience. I also said I was expecting to be proven wrong. No need to keep calling me a F@#king ignoramace.

In any case, I'm glad you proved me wrong.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I actually like matches that are customizable in FPS games where you can either remove them, or allow only snipers and a pistol. Mixes it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm a fighter man myself. It's just you put up against your opponent. No hiding. It's just skill against skill as purely as possible.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

because they have power and distance. You could say that the reload time would be the disadvantage but at the end the distance is so great it doesn't matter. There's no way to balance that.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Quit playing console shooters.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Exactly, just like shotguns are high powered weapons at short range.

@Desmonic said:

TC, sniper rifles are OP in the real life. Even if it's no a 1-hit kill, the target will still suffer a lot of damage. Of course the downside (and this is what games fail to represent intentionally) is that snipers need time, distance and a clear line of sight. Meaning: while they're busy finding/observing the target they have to stand still and thus become very, very vulnerable.

They also can't "quick scope" (those snipers are heavy and hard, if not impossible, to use with hip fire), thus even if they somehow noticed an enemy in the very last second, they likely couldn't do shit about it (with the sniper rifle).

Great points. I would also add that snipers typically have lower ammo capacity so they can't be spammed like assault rifles, and longer reload times. Some games will add a bullet trail visual graphic (like Halo) to counter the stealth element of snipers. This gives the other players a chance to track down the sniper once he's given his position away.

Other weapons are centered around run n' gun and those players rack up high kill counts. Sniping is about patience so even if killing is effective, it isn't as frequent.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

This opinion was actually quite painful to read.

You really should broaden your gaming horizons.

Given how you talk about knowing the intricacies of "good" level design and gameplay mechanics, it's pretty sad that you're so unaware of entire worlds of amazing gaming experiences simply because you choose to dismiss playing on the platforms they fall on.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

They aren't OP in PS2 or Tribes.

I know what you mean. Thing is they have a lot of downsides in reallife that are completely non existant in most game designs.

It's also why a pistol tends to be useless and/or extremely accurate in a game. Some examples: You don't have the disadvantage of weight. Therefore hardly an advantage of height. Most games let weapons obscure only a tiny part of the screen. So the size is not much of an advantage. The space you need to point and shoot is not there (indoor environments for example). Magazines are never an issue in games. You get magic magazines. You never have to conceal the weapon. You can fire anything while running. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

So you are against snipers rifles in video games MP. I see.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

because most MP games aren't made to be realistic

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@papatrop said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

This opinion was actually quite painful to read.

You really should broaden your gaming horizons.

Given how you talk about knowing the intricacies of "good" level design and gameplay mechanics, it's pretty sad that you're so unaware of entire worlds of amazing gaming experiences simply because you choose to dismiss playing on the platforms they fall on.

I generally don't try to comment on genres I can't get into very well. I probably shouldn't have said anything here because I'm out of my league when it comes to shooters. I do love discussing game design a lot though.

Not sure what you mean by the bolded...

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Thank, God (DICE) that BF4 has UCAV. So much fun blowing those pesky snipers to pieces.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44537 Posts

It's balance, they typically have lower rates of fire and require precision and are less versatile in close quarters combat.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

One shot, one kill

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Eh, sniper rifles are kinda shit imo in Insurgency. I find it much better to simply go with the EBR or FAL equipped with the 7X scope--both weapons are more than capable of one shotting anyone and they have the advantage of being able to fire semi or full auto rather than bolt action.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

In real life, a snipe can spend days setting up a shot. In videogames, that's not the case.

Then again, most of the shots people take in videogames with "sniper rifles" could very easily be done with a more traditional assault rifle. It's not uncommon for someone who is a rated marksman to take 600yd or longer shots very easily with something like a SCAR. You could even make a 1000yd shot or longer with a SCAR provided you have the correct optics. Nevermind the fact it is essentially a .308 round, which will always hit a target hard when it gets there.

So, to answer the question. Yes, Snipers are kinda OP, but then again most everything else about FPSes is kinda stupidly nerfed when compared to IRL. Don't expect realism in games and you'll have way more fun.

Not to mention wind, gravity and the actual curve of the Earth. All has to be taken into account. Snipers in real life are fucking scary man.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Some developers try to add ballistics, round trajectory and windage into their games, which can make a sniper's life more difficult. At the end of the day though they are games, if you were hit in real life by a .22, you're not going to hide behind a table until you feel better and then carry on, let alone half a magazine of 5.56.

Getting killed by a single shot in an FPS by a guy with a powerful rifle and optics is just one more challenge to over come, find out a way to get close and shove a knife up his ass.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Not to mention wind, gravity and the actual curve of the Earth. All has to be taken into account. Snipers in real life are fucking scary man.

You also saw "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg, didn't ya? ;)

@GarGx1 said:

Some developers try to add ballistics, round trajectory and windage into their games, which can make a sniper's life more difficult. At the end of the day though they are games, if you were hit in real life by a .22, you're not going to hide behind a table until you feel better and then carry on, let alone half a magazine of 5.56.

Getting killed by a single shot in an FPS by a guy with a powerful rifle and optics is just one more challenge to over come, find out a way to get close and shove a knife up his ass.

I like the way you think >;)

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I can't snipe for shit so it must take some skill. I keep tracking guys but they don't stop fucking moving and I can never line up a shot. I'm just to hesitant to make a shot because I'm afraid I'll miss and get killed, so I end up just watching guys move in and out of view. Then I eventally get found by a re spawning player and get unsuspectingly knifed in scope view.

So if any one is playing bf4 next week please stay still so I can get a couple of kills with a a sniper, thanks.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

TC sounds like to me you cant learn how to deal with snipers so instead you complain? I was top of OGL boards in the Medal of Honor days on PC and NEVER used a sniper riffle...you just have to learn how to outsmart them..AND yes sometimes you get blocked in cornered..and sometimes you have spawn killers..but thats part of the game..I have since moved from online gaming as it lost its "magic" to me.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@skanjos said:

I can counter them but FOV in Titanfall is narrow and the fact it's 792p on Xbone doesn't help either, so the camper has more than perfect view on everything while you try to make out the details. So you're bound to be at a disadvantage. I know how to deal with them but sometimes it takes too much time to get to such a spot and when you're already engaged in several firefights, it's not so easy to get to point where you originally wanted to go.

First this salty lemming noob complains about snipers and now he's complaining about the low resolution in Xbone games makes it even worse. ahahaha!

TLHBO!!!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@SonySoldier-_- said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@skanjos said:

First this salty lemming noob complains about snipers and now he's complaining about the low resolution in Xbone games makes it even worse. ahahaha!

TLHBO!!!

I'm not a noob in Titanfall, I can singlehandedly win my team a 8v8 game and have done so numerous times. I dare you to challenge me.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SonySoldier-_- said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@skanjos said:

TLHBO!!!

I'm not a noob in Titanfall, I can singlehandedly win my team a 8v8 game and have done so numerous times. I dare you to challenge me.

He can't. Titanfall is not on PS4...

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@clyde46 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SonySoldier-_- said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@skanjos said:

TLHBO!!!

He can't. Titanfall is not on PS4...

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Because sniper rifles are literally designed to be "OP" in real life as well.

Snipers are incredibly hard to detect and they can shoot you from over a mile away.

They are supposed to be "cheap"...there is no such thing as a "fair fight"...you do everything in your power to give yourself every advantage possible.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

and so are shotties, g nade launchers, rockets and magnums. they're all op in real life too

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

A sniper is a game changer in theater. Depending on the round and the scope (the xm109) reducing targets behind walls and "bullet proof glass" is a reality.