Why are Russians so obsessed over F2P and MOBA?

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9312 posts) -

It seems that Russia is THE kingdom of F2P and MOBA style games, and by a landslide. It's so popular over there that even Obsidian decided to collaborate with one of the Russian companies to create a new F2P MMO called Skyforge:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-02-from-russia-with-obsidianobsidians-skyforge-mmo

What makes these games so disproportionately popular with Russian gamers?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30843 posts) -

They're poor?

#3 Edited by AzatiS (7719 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

It seems that Russia is THE kingdom of F2P and MOBA style games, and by a landslide. It's so popular over there that even Obsidian decided to collaborate with one of the Russian companies to create a new F2P MMO called Skyforge:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-02-from-russia-with-obsidianobsidians-skyforge-mmo

What makes these games so disproportionately popular with Russian gamers?

I think MOBA , like League of legends is a worldwide phenomenon and not Russian only. The number 1 online game by far. And its F2P ! So i dont get you really

#4 Posted by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

When you play MOBA's. You'll either start learning Russian or grow a distain hate for Russians and Peruvians. I would imagine its so popular because of na'vi bein localized in Russia.

#5 Posted by hoosier7 (3880 posts) -

I'd have thought they're playing other games just as much just it's not shown statistically as there's so much more piracy. Games like MOBA's and F2P are games that are too hard and pointless to pirate.

I don't really know though.

#6 Edited by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

@hoosier7: What? Who would pirate a MOBA and a f2p game... This is taking the pirate stereotype to a whole new level.

#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16975 posts) -

Probably has to do with their monthly salary

I doubt Russians buy as many games as say an average American or European gamer. So they stick to free to play games.

#8 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2902 posts) -

cause they are poor peasants

#9 Edited by Effec_Tor (347 posts) -

Most Russians live in poverty.

Also Russia’s current minimum wage is about 4,600 roubles ($155) per month

#10 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Probably has to do with money.

#11 Edited by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

Are you guys serious? Russians prefer to play F2P and MOBAs, which take a fairly decent, 700 dollar rig to run properly (look at Skyforge mentioned in TC), instead of bigger AAA games that only cost 10 bucks during Steam sales. Therefore, they're obviously poor.

It's just the style of gaming. Same goes for China, most European countries, and South Korea. Most of these countries really aren't poor. These gamers prefer actual games. Where you use your own skill to rank up, instead of AAA, overly hyped, movie games. Simple as that. Something about American culture makes us love AAA games way too much. It's out of tune with the rest of the world. Games like SC2, DOTA, ect, make money world wide while AAA EA and Ubi games really only make considerable money here in North America, plus a few western European countries.

#12 Posted by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

When you play MOBA's. You'll either start learning Russian or grow a distain hate for Russians and Peruvians. I would imagine its so popular because of na'vi bein localized in Russia.

For the record, he's Ukrainian.

#13 Edited by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

@melonfarmerz: Na'Vi isn't a person... But yes they are localized in the country of Ukraine not Russia. (My mistake.)

(Though their main player Dendi usually commutes to Russia a lot.)

#14 Posted by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@melonfarmerz: Na'Vi isn't a person... But yes they are localized the country Ukraine.

(Though their main player Dendi usually commutes to Russia a lot.)

My bad lol. When I think na'vi, my mind automatically goes to Dendi

#15 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8532 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

cause they are poor peasants

Just like console peasants. :P

#16 Posted by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

@melonfarmerz: Yup haha. I'm not expecting much from them this TI4.