Why 3DS is beating PS Vita

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

Simply because it's more sure of what it wants to be. The 3DS is a gaming device, first and foremost. Yes, it has other features and apps, but it's primarily a gaming device. The PS Vita wants to be a multimedia device (just like the PSP), where games are important but not the full focus of it.

With iPhones and Smartphones, which have everything but big-budget games on them, the Vita simply can't compete and they're not going to buy another all-in-one device when they already have one. Nintendo knew the casual audience was fickle, but is more sure of who they are targeting with their system.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (29281 posts) -

Because games.

#3 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

Because games.

what is your pic anyway? hitler as a dancer?

#4 Edited by Gue1 (9456 posts) -

only reason 3DS is beating the Vita so bad is because it has all the franchises that sell handhelds monopolized, like: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Phoenix Wright, Pokemon, SMT, etc. All Vita has are some gimped console ports and Monster Hunter clones.

#5 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

I have no idea !!!

Vita is a better choice, but since I am a gfx whore, that may explain i.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (29281 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Because games.

what is your pic anyway? hitler as a dancer?

A dancing ballerina

#7 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

People don't remember the hate 3ds got its first year?

#8 Edited by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

@2mrw said:

I have no idea !!!

Vita is a better choice, but since I am a gfx whore, that may explain i.

I assume you have a powerful rig then, and not a lowly barely HD console?

#9 Edited by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -
#10 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5228 posts) -
#11 Posted by GhoX (4687 posts) -

3DS has tons of amazing games. Vita does not.

It's somewhat sad, since I would much prefer Vita to have those amazing games utilising its significantly superior specs.

#12 Posted by osan0 (12602 posts) -

as mentioned its the games...simple as.

I really really wish it was ninty that made the vita. as a gaming device its far superior to the 3DS.

but the 3DS is winning because nintendo treat the 3DS as a first class citizen and sony treat the vita as a 3rd rate also ran....hence the 3DSs better library.

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (29281 posts) -
#14 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

That's not correct at all.

There are only a handful of franchises that Japan cares about and the 3DS has most of them as exclusives, its also cheaper and Nintendo is seen as more of a family friendly brand. As an actual gaming machine the Vita destroys the 3DS in every possible way.

#15 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24655 posts) -

So many people in this thread don't have a Vita.

Vita has games.

Almost as many as the 3DS has.

The sole reason that 3DS is beating Vita are it's exculsives. (in Japan, Fantasy Life was on the top of the charts for the longest time, There is no Monster Hunter for Vita yet, and Pokemon X and Y are unique experiences that you just can't find on any other system.)

Vita is relying on Games that are on other systems. (Multiplats for PS3, PSP, some from the Wii).

In short the Vita is suffering from the same fate WiiU is suffering. All these games and no one cares.

#16 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

For me it's the library, backwards compatibility, and the exclusive experience the 3DS offers. The Vita emulates console gaming with some additional touch screen inputs that, so far, haven't been very well utilised by devs. The 3DS' dual screen system gives people something unique.

I believe it's mostly the games library that's winning it for them though.

#17 Edited by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Vita has games.

The sole reason that 3DS is beating Vita are it's exculsives. (in Japan, Fantasy Life was on the top of the charts for the longest time, There is no Monster Hunter for Vita yet, and Pokemon X and Y are unique experiences that you just can't find on any other system.)

Vita is relying on Games that are on other systems. (Multiplats for PS3, PSP, some from the Wii).

In short the Vita is suffering from the same fate WiiU is suffering. All these games and no one cares.

wiiU has no games...

monster hunter 3 ultimate,pikmin 3,windwaker HD, call of duty black ops 2

thats it...

by the end of this year it will have some games though....if mario 3d world and sonic lost world deliver.

the casuals are hoping wiifit U, wii U party deliver...

and everyone wants to play wii sports club online.

#18 Posted by MonsieurX (29281 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Vita has games.

wiiU has no games...

thats it...

by the end of this year it will have some games though....if mario 3d world and sonic lost world deliver.

and everyone wants to play wii sports online.

3DS port and COD?

Really?

#19 Edited by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@KBFloYd said:

wiiU has no games...

thats it...

and everyone wants to play wii sports online.

3DS port and COD?

Really?

3ds port...a gamecube port and COD..

lol..i guess it has no game at all then?

#20 Posted by DaX_Factor (98 posts) -
#21 Posted by treedoor (7480 posts) -

Because the 3DS is priced to be able to compete with tablets, and also has its own system-selling software. Parents see a 3DS with Mario, or Pokemon as a better alternative for kids than a tablet with doodle jump and temple run (though I'm sure many parents are still just letting their kids use their tablets while they're out running errands).

PS Vita, on the other hand, is more expensive than a good android tablet (as well as the 3DS), and also has barely anything on it that people find value in.

If Sony were to make it a goal to get an exclusive, system-selling game for the PS Vita then they'd have no problems, but they aren't really trying to do that. They're just getting indie titles on it, and a few niche games. Anytime they do put some effort into making a game for it it's typically a stripped down version of a console franchise.

Sony needs their own Pokemon, and they probably shouldn't rely on 3rd parties to make it for them.

#22 Posted by Bigboi500 (29212 posts) -

There are only a handful of franchises that Japan cares about and the 3DS has most of them as exclusives, its also cheaper and Nintendo is seen as more of a family friendly brand. As an actual gaming machine the Vita destroys the 3DS in every possible way.

lol no. As a gaming machine, 3DS destroys Vita in every way possible. You have it ass-backwards.

#23 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24655 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Vita has games.

wiiU has no games...

thats it...

and everyone wants to play wii sports club online.

You can say the same for Vita.

Nothing but Games you could get on your PS3.

#24 Edited by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Because the 3DS is priced to be able to compete with tablets, and also has its own system-selling software. Parents see a 3DS with Mario, or Pokemon as a better alternative for kids than a tablet with doodle jump and temple run (though I'm sure many parents are still just letting their kids use their tablets while they're out running errands).

PS Vita, on the other hand, is more expensive than a good android tablet (as well as the 3DS), and also has barely anything on it that people find value in.

If Sony were to make it a goal to get an exclusive, system-selling game for the PS Vita then they'd have no problems, but they aren't really trying to do that. They're just getting indie titles on it, and a few niche games. Anytime they do put some effort into making a game for it it's typically a stripped down version of a console franchise.

Sony needs their own Pokemon, and they probably shouldn't rely on 3rd parties to make it for them.

speaking of doodle jump.. its coming to 3ds

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doodle-jump-leaping-to-3ds/1100-6415440/

#25 Edited by charizard1605 (55653 posts) -

The only thing the Vita outdoes the 3DS in is the hardware itself. As far as the actual 'gaming' portion goes, 3DS has it so handily beat, it's not even funny.

@mrintro said:

People don't remember the hate 3ds got its first year?

What does that have to do with the topic?

#26 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3966 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

lol no. As a gaming machine, 3DS destroys Vita in every way possible. You have it ass-backwards.

3ds has way better games but it is a pretty terrible console. Screen is too small, disappointing graphics, horrible camera, the buttons are too small, and It may have the worst d-pad in existence.

edit: Off topic but the new gamespot seriously sucks balls.

#27 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24655 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

3ds has way better games but it is a pretty terrible console. Screen is too small, disappointing graphics, horrible camera, the buttons are too small, and It may have the worst d-pad in existence.

3DS XL and your problems are solved.

#28 Posted by Bigboi500 (29212 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

If you're talking about the original 3DS I'll agree, but the XL is easily the best handheld system ever created.

#29 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

The only thing the Vita outdoes the 3DS in is the hardware itself. As far as the actual 'gaming' portion goes, 3DS has it so handily beat, it's not even funny.

Are you talking about library? The actual Vita hardware, the screen, the controls, the dual analog sticks, the screen, the online network, and the policies are all dramatically better for gaming on the Vita.

#30 Edited by Ghost120x (3708 posts) -

Because the 3ds has more and better exclusives. When the 3ds was struggling, Nintendo went out of their way to prove to the fans that there was a future for the system by showing exclusives via Nintendo Direct. Sony on the other hand, did little after the Vita's launch to show any upcoming releases and the emphasis on ports (both console and ios ) isn't adding any value.

Sony is heavily dependent on third parties to make their system, but when they aren't there Sony needs to step up and release some system selling games to make the third parties confident to publish games on the vita again.

Killzone, Little big planet was great and Tearaway looks promising, but they need to go further. it has to be something that will build a lot of buzz like a reboot of crash bandicoot or something because the vita is soon to be forgotten.

#31 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3966 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

If you're talking about the original 3DS I'll agree, but the XL is easily the best handheld system ever created.

No way. It's not much better. The Gameboy Advance sp, and Nintendo DS lite are the best.

#32 Posted by Bigboi500 (29212 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

No way. It's not much better. The Gameboy Advance sp, and Nintendo DS lite are the best.

I found the GBA Micro to be superior to the SP because that small box design is only comfortable for small hands. I love the DS lite as well, but the 3DS/ XL beats it simply because of analog control for DS games.

#33 Posted by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

Nintendo has the most popular legacy IPs specially for a handheld. Sony has none in equivalence as far as sales go.

VITA is much closer to the traditional home console and requires higher development cost.

Top that off with a small userbase looking least attractive to publishers and the current mobile trends and the VITA's got barely any defense.

#34 Posted by funsohng (27594 posts) -

Vita needs games.

If I wasn't in a position where I couldn't get my hands on my PS3, Vita would be collecting dust.
Well technically, it IS collecting dust as of moment, but that's only because I haven't ordered by Dragon's Crown yet.

#35 Posted by Bigboi500 (29212 posts) -

Nintendo has the most popular legacy IPs specially for a handheld. Sony has none in equivalence as far as sales go.

VITA is much closer to the traditional home console and requires higher development cost.

Top that off with a small userbase looking least attractive to publishers and the current mobile trends and the VITA's got barely any defense.

On top of all that, the Vita fails as a portable system because it simply isn't very portable. You have to buy a case and have very large pockets just to take it out of your home.

#36 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3966 posts) -

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

I found the GBA Micro to be superior to the SP because that small box design is only comfortable for small hands. I love the DS lite as well, but the 3DS/ XL beats it simply because of analog control for DS games.

I never got the Micro, it just looked way too small for me, and I like the clam shell design best. The 3DS xl is better than the ds lite but not by much, definitely not by the level the Vita is better than the PSP and 3DS. I just can't in all good conscience rate the 3ds/xl highly.

Also did the forums get all messed up for anyone else, or just me?

#37 Posted by charizard1605 (55653 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

Are you talking about library? The actual Vita hardware, the screen, the controls, the dual analog sticks, the screen, the online network, and the policies are all dramatically better for gaming on the Vita.

Yeah, the Vita has better hardware, better screen, the controls are equal on both, I'll give you dual analog sticks, online network, NOPE, sorry, both seem to be roughly even, the policies for downloaded content, yes Vita is a league ahead of 3DS.

And on the other hand, 3DS has better games, and it has a better OS, two things I will run into the most when using a system.

#38 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

If it doesn't have better games it's not "hands down" the better system...

Tech, fancy menus, and Facebook doesn't make it the better actual gaming machine.

#39 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

The 3DS and Vita are also the same price...

#40 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@Samus3D said:

The 3DS and Vita are also the same price...

The regular 3DS is cheaper than the Vita still, and the 2DS is way cheaper. Granted in the long run with PS+ and Price Protection you will spend alot less money than you would on a 3DS. But most of the 3DS audience wouldnt know that.

#41 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7479 posts) -

Launched earlier, cheaper price, brand names series, bigger library of games, more positive press, better advertising. The usual reasons systems beat other systems.

#42 Posted by ristactionjakso (5666 posts) -

Its the games dude.

#43 Posted by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

Launched earlier, cheaper price, brand names series, bigger library of games, more positive press, better advertising. The usual reasons systems beat other systems.

3ds had more bad press than vita at launch.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (55653 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

3ds had more bad press than vita at launch.

Right after launch, it did, but Nintendo took proactive measures to reverse it; Vita has had equally bad press for much longer now, albeit because Sony hasn't tried to counter it at all.

#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14927 posts) -

@crimsonman1245: too bad you would have to wait literally months to a year to get the game you would want for "free".

#46 Edited by Ballroompirate (22305 posts) -

3DS has better games plain and simple, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

#47 Posted by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

I think in many ways the 3DS is a combination of the SNES and the PS2. Gamers who grew up/ favor those consoles will find enjoyment with the 3DS. With that said, just like those consoles, the 3DS has one hell of a library.

-An actual good Sonic game

-Quality RPG's such as Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, etc (Persona would do amazing on 3DS, get on it Sega)

-Successors to SNES classics

#48 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Two reasons.

1. Overall startup cost (System and overpriced memory cards).

2. Games. Most of the "good games" for it are nothing more than watered down PS3 games. Most don't want to buy a Vita to have a watered down PS3 experience, they buy it to have a completely different experience.

#49 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Two reasons.

2. Games. Most of the "good games" for it are nothing more than watered down PS3 games. Most don't want to buy a Vita to have a watered down PS3 experience, they buy it to have a completely different experience.

There's this mindset with Vita owners: "they're console games but you can play them on the go!" however this was the problem with the PSP (lesser degree), too many console ports and not as many unique experiences.

Nintendo has their home consoles, they have their handhelds, they've been working one in the same since GameBoy/ NES. With Sony you don't need to get their handhelds because you're basically getting the same damn thing.

#50 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Two reasons.

There's this mindset with Vita owners: "they're console games but you can play them on the go!" however this was the problem with the PSP (lesser degree), too many console ports and not as many unique experiences.

Nintendo has their home consoles, they have their handhelds, they've been working one in the same since GameBoy/ NES. With Sony you don't need to get their handhelds because you're basically getting the same damn thing.

3DS has 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, multiple Mario spinoffs, Smash Bros, 2D Zelda, 3D Zelda, and lots of ports/remakes of console games. How are those not watered down compared to the Wii U versions?