Who understands gamers better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 5 months, 13 days ago

Poll: Who understands gamers better? (51 votes)

Satoru Iwata (Nintendo) 22%
Shuhei Yoshida (Sony) 47%
Phil Spencer (Microsoft) 29%

Who do you think understand the needs of gamers better out of these three executives? Who do you think is a gamer first who happens to be making living as a businessman? Who do you think cares more about games themselves instead of just making positive PR spins?

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (40902 posts) -

Team Ninja.

#2 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

me

#3 Edited by j_assassin (908 posts) -

I dunno, but sony's always been "what games should we have to sell our console" while m$ is " what new features should we add to sell our console"

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

Wheres the CEO's of the 3rd Party Companies ? :(

#5 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

No one. gamers are whiners and no one can satisfy them.

#6 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5577 posts) -
@jeager_titan said:

#7 Posted by blamix99 (2049 posts) -

iwata and yoshida

#8 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5577 posts) -

I think Phil Spencer understands western teenagers better. The CoD/Titanfall crowd. Yoshida understands a more generalized gaming audience. Iwata understands fuck all lol.

#9 Posted by MirkoS77 (7580 posts) -

I don't really know all that much of Yoshida or Spencer, but I know Iwata started his career as a programmer (often referred to as a genius one, which I don't doubt) so I'd say he knows most of what constitutes what goes into a game's creation and is better than most at doing it. But I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he understands the needs of gamers. I find he's actually a bit out of touch with the desires of what many want today.

He said people don't want online games, and he refuses to acknowledge a broader range of more Western tastes. If I had to select one out of these three, from what I know I suppose it'd be Iwata that knows games. Which is why he should be making them, not managing over them.

#10 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8978 posts) -

I should've included Gaben :'( Oh wait, Valve doesn't make games anymore, they just sell 'em :D

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16623 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I should've included Gaben :'( Oh wait, Valve doesn't make games anymore, they just sell 'em :D

Valve doesn't understand gamers I think:

"We want episode 3"

"Here is L4D2 !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is Portal 2 !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is CS:GO !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is Dota 2 !!!"

"Sigh, never mind"

#12 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3627 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

This .

Voted for Phil Spencer though .

#13 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Obvious that this gen is Shu.

#14 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8144 posts) -

Me. I know what everyone wants.

#15 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

Definitely not Sony, that's for sure.

#16 Edited by MBirdy88 (8317 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Valve doesn't understand gamers I think:

"We want episode 3"

"Here is L4D2 !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is Portal 2 !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is CS:GO !!!"

"We want episode 3"

"Here is Dota 2 !!!"

"Sigh, never mind"

its funny you say that.... when the last 2 games on their list will have more people over years than half-life 3 ever will.

The fact that they went and developed DoTA 2 instead of yet another FPS game that wouldn't stand out shows that they know more about PC gamer's trends than you for example.

#17 Posted by GreySeal9 (24422 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

#18 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Valve. greatest developer in history known to mankind,

#19 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

Is there any evidence that Phil Spencer or Iwata even plays games? I'd imagine Iwata plays Nintendo games, but is there anything else he plays?

Judging by that, I know for a fact Yoshida plays a lot of different games so I would go with him.

#20 Edited by Boddicker (2791 posts) -

Phil Spencer is still an unproven wild card. Though I really like his comment that consoles are in sore need of more RTS.

Yoshida.........I think understands Western tastes better than most Japanese, but only out of necessity as he watches consoles dying in his native country.

Iwata..........is learning a hard lesson with the Wii-U and I'm getting tired of his "please understand". Let's just say unless their next console touts a "back to basics" approach and not more gimmicky shit it could be the death knell for what was once my most beloved of gaming companies. They also need to time their release with the big 3 if they want to have any chance.

#21 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16623 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

its funny you say that.... when the last 2 games on their list will have more people over years than half-life 3 ever will.

The fact that they went and developed DoTA 2 instead of yet another FPS game that wouldn't stand out shows that they know more about PC gamer's trends than you for example.

I think you took my post a bit too serious :/

#22 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9047 posts) -

I really don't know, but Phil Spencer definitely appears to care about playing video games the most, however, Nintendo consistently produces the exact kind of experiences I care about most as a gamer. I can't speak for the masses on that one.

#23 Posted by Flubbbs (3142 posts) -

Shuhei

#24 Edited by AzatiS (7641 posts) -

The answer is easy...

Who keeps delivering awesome exclusives despite if its first by far in console sales or dead last and who is delivering massive exclusives while being in multibillion losses each year even in next-gen when others ..let their systems Die prematurely despite with zero support ?

Sony does. And for that alone mr Yoshida is the clear winner here imho.

#25 Posted by jsmoke03 (12923 posts) -

i dont think any of them. they have all made really big mistakes that makes me smh

#26 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

On point.

#27 Posted by Shewgenja (9616 posts) -

Spencer and team led the development of brand new entertainment offerings including a landmark partnership with the NFL and collaborating with industry luminary Steven Spielberg to bring a new Halo live action TV series to life. A 25-year veteran of Microsoft, Spencer has held a variety of technical roles including development lead for Microsoft's first CD-ROM-based titles including Encarta, development manager for Microsoft Money, and general manager of Microsoft's online and offline consumer productivity products including Microsoft Works and Microsoft Picture It!

A little something for the dinglenuts that voted for Spencer.

#28 Posted by cainetao11 (17707 posts) -

@j_assassin said:

I dunno, but sony's always been "what games should we have to sell our console" while m$ is " what new features should we add to sell our console"

Always? So the PS3 wasn't marketed on its blu ray player for the first year or so? "It only does everything" didn't sound like it was just about games to me.

My answer is none. Games are fun, so I bet they all play them from time to time, but I don't believe any are all that into them.

#29 Posted by cainetao11 (17707 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

Well said. Have ever looked at the things that are complained about graphically here?

#30 Edited by heretrix (37405 posts) -

None of them. They understand gaming business well enough. I doubt any of them give a shit what attention starved forum brats want, since they don't know themselves. They care about what sells.

#31 Posted by Shewgenja (9616 posts) -

Almost twice as many people voting for Spencer over Iwata? What the actual?

#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5105 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Lemmings kissing Phil Spencer's feet because he's letting them buy Halo again.

#33 Posted by clone01 (24832 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Shewgenja said:

Lemmings kissing Phil Spencer's feet because he's letting them buy Halo again.

Do you do anything different for all things Sony?

#34 Posted by hiphops_savior (7941 posts) -

None of the three companies care about gamers. They care about making money off of you. One of the best ways to do that is through good PR. Sony is exceptional in that area, creating the myth of Gamers first through games with vague release dates such as FF15 and KH3.

Iwata, as a former game developer, understands the process developing games the most. Reggie Fils-Aime enjoys playing games, and the games Nintendo produces shows attention to detail and a product of love. Their PR, however, is shit ever since Yamauchi told third party studios to go to hell.

Don't pretend the corporations are your friends, the relationship starts and ends with the product you buy with your money. I just happen to fork my hard earned money on products that will be a good investment.

#35 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5222 posts) -

Sony.

Provides a full spectrum

Nintendo:

Stuck in an alternate reality

Microsoft:

Just wants to put Windows into your living room

#36 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

None of those people care about gamers, all they care about it turning a profit and expanding their influence, if that just happens to align with making the gamers happy that's a coincidence.

#37 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16623 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@jeager_titan said:

Well said. Have ever looked at the things that are complained about graphically here?

Lol, have you noticed the fact that games can look either: "amazing" or "beyond terrible". There is no in between. Either it looks top of the line or it looks horrible as shit.

I think that's hilarious XD

#38 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Answer: Gamers.