Who started the terms 'Cow' and 'Sheep for consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bumsonfire
#1 Posted by bumsonfire (250 posts) -

BTW I'm a cow. Don't hate on me.

Avatar image for Salt_The_Fries
#2 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

Someone's a SW noob. They originated around PS2 years. Everything was sold separately for PS2 thus its users were being milked hence the term cows. As for sheep, I don't precisely know but something related to flocking together.

Avatar image for Basinboy
#4 Posted by Basinboy (12317 posts) -

You can't be a cow with an X1 in your sig - violates their tenets

Cow derived from the multiplayer adapter sold for the PS2, increasing local MP from 2 players to 4 while both GC and Xbox offered 4 players base support

Sheep derived from its fans following Nintendo no matter what direction the company headed in (i.e. the unorthodox design and direction of the GC, along with games like Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine)

Avatar image for teuf_
#5 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

The nicknames are at least 10 or 11 years old at this point. I doubt that anyone here remembers how it started exactly.

Avatar image for Spartan070
#6 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@teuf_ said:

The nicknames are at least 10 or 11 years old at this point. I doubt that anyone here remembers how it started exactly.

lawlessx or foxhoundfox probably remember

Avatar image for SolidTy
#7 Posted by SolidTy (49826 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@teuf_ said:

The nicknames are at least 10 or 11 years old at this point. I doubt that anyone here remembers how it started exactly.

lawlessx or foxhoundfox probably remember

I remember those days (and I was posting in SW before...), but it's such a long story and I've told it times before and every time there is arguing...the answers already posted are good enough.

I wish I could just link my old posts.

I will say this, the names don't really make sense anymore and should probably be shifted around if not changed.

Avatar image for Netret0120
#8 Edited by Netret0120 (3290 posts) -

If anyone should be called Cows its the lemmings. MS is milking them fot every penny!!!

Avatar image for Sweenix
#9 Edited by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

Nintendo fans are called sheep, because they are all from new Zealand

Avatar image for jhcho2
#10 Posted by jhcho2 (4862 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

If anyone should be called Cows its the lemmings. MS is milking them fot every penny!!!

The same can be said about Sheep. Nintendo has been milking the Mario and Zelda franchises...as well as the fans, since the 90s.

Avatar image for edidili
#11 Edited by edidili (3449 posts) -

I know how the terms cows, hermit and sheeps started and what they mean but what about lemmings?

Avatar image for _Matt_
#12 Edited by _Matt_ (10178 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Nintendo fans are called sheep, because they are all from new Zealand

Either that, or they are all from Wales, with Welshmen being Nintendo....

I hope someone gets this...

Avatar image for _Matt_
#13 Posted by _Matt_ (10178 posts) -

@edidili said:

I know how the terms cows, hermit and sheeps started and what they mean but what about lemmings?

I THINK, it is from when people started all following each other to the 360, just because that's what their friends had years back. I may be wrong though,

Avatar image for Spartan070
#14 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Spartan070 said:

@teuf_ said:

The nicknames are at least 10 or 11 years old at this point. I doubt that anyone here remembers how it started exactly.

lawlessx or foxhoundfox probably remember

I remember those days (and I was posting in SW before...), but it's such a long story and I've told it times before and every time there is arguing...the answers already posted are good enough.

I wish I could just link my old posts.

I will say this, the names don't really make sense anymore and should probably be shifted around if not changed.

Agreed

Avatar image for 2mrw
#15 Posted by 2mrw (5604 posts) -

An idiot

Avatar image for SolidTy
#16 Edited by SolidTy (49826 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@edidili said:

I know how the terms cows, hermit and sheeps started and what they mean but what about lemmings?

I THINK, it is from when people started all following each other to the 360, just because that's what their friends had years back. I may be wrong though,

No, it's older than that, back before the 360 existed.

Ironically, Sony owns the Lemmings game IP, lol.

Avatar image for killerfist
#17 Edited by killerfist (20051 posts) -

Weren't cows being milked by sony?

Lemmings blindly followed MS?

Sheep see nintendo as their shepherd.

Something along those lines.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
#18 Edited by SuperCowElitist (732 posts) -

@killerfist said:

Weren't cows being milked by sony?

Lemmings blindly followed MS?

Sheep see nintendo as their shepherd.

Something along those lines.

I already knew lemmings blindly follow Microsoft for no rational reason, and us cows are just balling, good enough reason for sony to milk us cows.

But I still don't understand why a sheeps are call sheeps.

Avatar image for _Matt_
#19 Edited by _Matt_ (10178 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@_Matt_ said:

@edidili said:

I know how the terms cows, hermit and sheeps started and what they mean but what about lemmings?

I THINK, it is from when people started all following each other to the 360, just because that's what their friends had years back. I may be wrong though,

No, it's older than that, back before the 360 existed.

Ironically, Sony owns the Lemmings game IP, lol.

Oh, then I am not sure as to the origin then. I don't remember the term lemming being thrown around much when I first joined back in 2005.

Avatar image for SolidTy
#20 Posted by SolidTy (49826 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@SolidTy said:

@_Matt_ said:

@edidili said:

I know how the terms cows, hermit and sheeps started and what they mean but what about lemmings?

I THINK, it is from when people started all following each other to the 360, just because that's what their friends had years back. I may be wrong though,

No, it's older than that, back before the 360 existed.

Ironically, Sony owns the Lemmings game IP, lol.

Oh, then I am not sure as to the origin then. I don't remember the term lemming being thrown around much when I first joined back in 2005.

Oh, yeah, it was all over the place back then...but it's all good.

Avatar image for Randolph
#21 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

It popped up shortly after Gamespot shifted to the Lithium based forums in 2002. Around the time XcousinX and Gcousin were still running around. So yeah, it's over a decade old now. TSHBO. LAMLAMLAM!1

Avatar image for Netherscourge
#22 Posted by Netherscourge (16363 posts) -

Cows - Moo. Cattle. Milk and beef. Eat more Chik-Fil-A.

Sheep - Shy, bashful, childlike. Please, no M-Rated games! Mom won't buy it for us!

Lemmings - Follow the leader! Right off the cliff!

Hermits - Live by themselves in a cave, or their mom's basement. Pop out once in a while to scare random passersby or joggers or the UPS guy with their Newegg shipments.

Manticores - Made of everything. No standard is too high or too low; so long as it has cash value, they'll own it! Head of a lion, wings of a bird, scales of a dragon! Rawr! Shut up and take my money!

People started calling each other these names back in the early 2000's and it just escalated from there.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#23 Edited by musicalmac (24684 posts) -

Old terms, started in the before times, at the end of the 6th day in the Genesis creation story. Right before prescription sunglasses -- the greatest of all creations...