Who's to blame for LoS 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

This is old, over a Week old idk if there was another thread about it ( the forum search doesn't work for me ) Anyways

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776423

28/02/ UPDATE - Spanish website "Vadejuegos" confirmed with their own sources if the info posted here was true. Their results next:

- Vadejuegos is in position of confirming the story and clarifying some aspects of it.

- Development of Casltevania was very problematic due to leadership and communication problems.

- "Development problems are basically what was posted online".

- "In the end, the lead end up being the person who has been here for the most time or laughs the most at Alvarez' jokes"

- "Being creative there is complicated. People's ideas don't get anywhere. José Luis Vaello, art director got tired of that and ended up in Tequila. They had him hand tied. He said "Well, here you remain with your brilliant ideas"".

- "Vaello did the first game's art which was awesome, and (thanks to his departure) this second one is a Frankenstein. There is a power struggle. Some parts are pretty, some aren't".

- "This Castlevania ended up being a little weird due to that. Each department goes with itself and there is no internal communication".

- "They mistreat their people. They.. distrust themselves. It's a very weird ambient, very little creative"

- Relating the stealth sections: "Some of us said, "But what is this? Are we really doing this? Why rats? Really?". Those things were bad and talked between us. This has been like this for 2 years, not before.

- "There weren't any meetings. We found out things llots of times by the press".

- Regarding the first post veracity: "It's not true (that I know of) that Konami is displeased with the game. That can't be known yet".

- "The delay didn't involve out pocket's money (that we know of) it was the normal thing caused by a production of this size.

- Alvarez has been contacted.

For those that haven't bought it, from the developers themselves the game is horrible to the point they didn't agree on making it.

Those of you metroidvania fans that never looked into this game, yes there's Rat stealth sections with dracula. It was that stupid.

#2 Posted by Animal-Mother (26750 posts) -

A) The game isn't that bad

B) The stealth sections do lead to very "what?" Moments.

C) I'll deal with it as the game does have it's moments.

#3 Edited by SolidTy (42805 posts) -

As a long time Castlevania fan since I bought the first game on the NES oh so long ago...I told myself I'd pick this game up for $20 or less after playing Lords of Shadow. I was so disappointed with it and what they did to the Castlevania lore/story. Gameplay was a mishmash of other games from Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and DMC, but I beat it and thought it was decent. That 1st game was with Kojima's help, which this 2nd game apparently did not have. I'm glad I waited.

Now, I might end up just waiting for LoS2 to release 'free' on PS+ instead down the line (maybe by Dec 2014). We'll see, I have one friend that bought it, but it's still in it's wrapper and I imagine by the time he opens it, the actual game will be less than $40-$30. He'll give me a thumbs up or not. After everything he read regarding the reviews, he put it on the back burner.

#4 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

I still haven't played LOS2 yet, but... the very idea of the immortal Dracula having to sneak around sounds ridiculous.

#5 Edited by Animal-Mother (26750 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

I still haven't played LOS2 yet, but... the very idea of the immortal Dracula having to sneak around sounds ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. It's a very poor attempt to replace the pacing of the first game Combat/Platforming/Puzzles with just just intense combat/shitty stealth sequences

#6 Posted by Alcapello (884 posts) -

Very nice

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

Probably because MercurySteam is an inexperienced developer who couldn't come up with their own original ideas if their lives depended on it?

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (56889 posts) -
#9 Posted by XboxStache (912 posts) -

This is what happens when Devs try fixing what wasn't broken to begin with. (besides, LOS1's end boss fight and the stupid color switching)

I knew I wouldn't like LOS2 based off the demo which was just fighting hordes of braindead AI and a camera that pans way too far out. Oh well, here's hoping for Darksiders 3 in the works.

#10 Edited by SolidTy (42805 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Meh, I liked the game. I mean, yes, it was disappointing, and it frustratingly squandered its potential, but it was still a good game.

@SolidTy said:

As a long time Castlevania fan since I bought the first game on the NES oh so long ago...I told myself I'd pick this game up for $20 or less after playing Lords of Shadow. I was so disappointed with it and what they did to the Castlevania lore/story. Gameplay was a mishmash of other games from Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and DMC, but I beat it and thought it was decent. That 1st game was with Kojima's help, which this 2nd game apparently did not have. I'm glad I waited.

Now, I might end up just waiting for LoS2 to release 'free' on PS+ instead down the line (maybe by Dec 2014). We'll see, I have one friend that bought it, but it's still in it's wrapper and I imagine by the time he opens it, the actual game will be less than $40-$30. He'll give me a thumbs up or not. After everything he read regarding the reviews, he put it on the back burner.

Kojima actually had very little to do with the actual development of the first game (his name was attached to it to give it more visibility and lend it more credibility more than anything else).

That's a link to a forum post of details from a Mercurysteam employee anonymous insider. To be honest, we can't take that as 100% evidence of anything. We don't know the insider's position. It's single testimony, and one that can't be easily verified. It definitely doesn't paint the whole picture as it's one side of a multifaceted story. Even if it was a verified employee, we still don't know how high up the chain they are. Even if they were high up the chain, I would still want to hear multiple sources confirm it because there could be an underlying motive. I would imagine Studio Director Enric Alvarez would agree or not agree with that sentence above, but unless the studio, multiple employees, Alvarez, or Kojima openly state that as fact, I won't consider it fact, but rather interesting speculation from a single unidentified source.

Allegedly should have been in front of your sentence.

As far as my own post, I would like to add I personally don't believe Kojima's involvement had a mega huge impact on the game, as I beat the first game and found it wanting. It was decent, but that's the best I could say about it. It was also an unwelcome mish mash of other games. Certainly not worth the $60 I paid as a Castlevania fan, imo.

I appreciate the link and it was fun to read, but I take these "anonymous" insider posting on in the internet things with a grain of salt. It's neat to read, I hope it's true, but I know there is more to the story usually, so that's as far as I allow it to go.

#11 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9651 posts) -

its simple... they thought it was easy to pull off GOW, they found out in the first game it wasnt that easy so they thought they would get lucky the 2nd time around

#12 Edited by charizard1605 (56889 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

Meh, I liked the game. I mean, yes, it was disappointing, and it frustratingly squandered its potential, but it was still a good game.

@SolidTy said:

Kojima actually had very little to do with the actual development of the first game (his name was attached to it to give it more visibility and lend it more credibility more than anything else).

That's a link to a forum post of details from a Mercurysteam employee anonymous insider. To be honest, we can't take that as 100% evidence of anything. We don't know the insider's position. It's single testimony, and one that can't be easily verified. It definitely doesn't paint the whole picture as it's one side of a multifaceted story. Even if it was a verified employee, we still don't know how high up the chain they are. Even if they were high up the chain, I would still want to hear multiple sources confirm it because there could be an underlying motive. I would imagine Studio Director Enric Alvarez would agree or not agree with that sentence above, but unless the studio, multiple employees, Alvarez, or Kojima openly state that as fact, I won't consider it fact, but rather interesting speculation from a single unidentified source.

As far as my own post, I would like to add I personally don't believe Kojima's involvement had a mega huge impact on the game, as I beat the first game and found it wanting. It was decent, but that's the best I could say about it. It was also an unwelcome mish mash of other games. Certainly not worth the $60 I paid as a Castlevania fan, imo.

I appreciate the link and it was fun to read, but I take these "anonymous" insider posting on in the internet things with a grain of salt. It's neat to read, I hope it's true, but I know there is more to the story usually, so that's as far as I allow it to go.

It appears as though multiple developers have stepped forward to verify this account.

Make of that what you will, but I always say, where there is smoke, there has to be fire, even if it isn't the kind of fire that we think it is.

#13 Edited by SolidTy (42805 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

It appears as though multiple developers have stepped forward to verify this account.

Make of that what you will, but I always say, where there is smoke, there has to be fire, even if it isn't the kind of fire that we think it is.

Probably gay fire, not that there is anything wrong with that.

#14 Edited by jg4xchamp (47870 posts) -

The developers of the game.

If it is good: they are to blame for it being good

If it is bad: they are to blame for it being bad

It's really a simple concept.

#15 Posted by iloveatlus (256 posts) -

They didn't had Kojima on the team. They needed Kojima

#16 Posted by blamix99 (1827 posts) -

i enjoyed LOS1, but i hate repeating those boring levels to get stronger..