Who is more overrated, Nintendo or PC gaming?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By samanthademeste

Poll Who is more overrated, Nintendo or PC gaming? (65 votes)

Nintendo 57%
PC gaming 31%
both are equally overrated 12%

I am going to vote for the third option. Both are pretty overrated IMO. (ps: I own nintendo consoles and a gaming PC. Yes they are both insanely and indisputably overrated.)

• 
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#51 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Heirren said:

What I will say right now is that it looks as though Nintendo is judging the market and what the actual audience is. With a huge product like the wii, the wiiu R&D was likely already well underway. It is a product that was being developed--again, likely--in a means to evolve the wii audience, one which ultimately did not return. In conjunction with that though, Nintendo also seems to be adjusting to suit their actual audience again.

All of the games coming out are offering a level of depth that has been simplified over time. Majoras Mask is selling, Link Between Worlds was praised, people call MK8 the best Mario Kart, etc. Contrast that with players being appalled by the Yoshi 3DS game--and Nintendo now does a direct stressing its multiple difficulties. I know there is a bunch of Drama surrounding Nintendo and the Youtube community, but this drama is also proof that they recognize what is on there. Nintendo games are the number one "play" videos. The interesting thing here is that most of the popular ones are of older games AND done by a younger up and coming gaming crowd.

There is a group of gamers that really seek out videogames in the form of controller/visual mastery. The idea of speedrunning is a plague on youtube and nintendo is at the forefront. Nintendo has even mentioned the term in multiple Nintendo Directs. The retro scene is large because of nostalgia, of course, but there is a growing chunk of that crowd that was hardly even born in each respected era. I think Nintendo is going to go after this market.

And I absolutely adore gameplay centric games built around depth or being uncompromising for the sake of a singular vision (ala Shadow of Chernobyl), but I also like some new things. Where as Galaxy on the Wii felt like a breath of fresh air, 3D Land, DK, Smash, and Mk8 was like "oh they made another one of those" and sure in some cases it was one of their better ones (Mk8 apparently is one of their better ones), but I wasn't impressed by overall.

I'm fine with whatever Nintendo does for the sake of business, but when their games come off creatively bankrupt that's when I feel they deserve some harsh criticism. No one uses the word "good" to describe Nintendo, they use the term "great", so as far as I'm concerned they should be held to that standard. And a lot of Nintendo's output has only really only been good, part of that has to do with them not willing to branch out of their comfort zone once in awhile. Albeit yes Splatoon/Codename Steam are a nice step forward.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Well one is what it is.......and the other is what you want it to be,so......

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Both are excellent. But if you're twisting my arm I guess I'll say PC gaming? Probably because the hardware can be so upper end... All to play the same games as everyone else, but with higher resolution. But as far as 3rd party games are concerned you can do no better.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Someone hates Nintendo and PC gaming... I doubt for any legitimate reasons. Video Games are awesome!!! Fanboys suck ass.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#55 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

PS4 and Xbone are overrated.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Nintendo by a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mile.

The fact that this poll is even close shows what type of ppl are on these boards.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Heirren said:

What I will say right now is that it looks as though Nintendo is judging the market and what the actual audience is. With a huge product like the wii, the wiiu R&D was likely already well underway. It is a product that was being developed--again, likely--in a means to evolve the wii audience, one which ultimately did not return. In conjunction with that though, Nintendo also seems to be adjusting to suit their actual audience again.

All of the games coming out are offering a level of depth that has been simplified over time. Majoras Mask is selling, Link Between Worlds was praised, people call MK8 the best Mario Kart, etc. Contrast that with players being appalled by the Yoshi 3DS game--and Nintendo now does a direct stressing its multiple difficulties. I know there is a bunch of Drama surrounding Nintendo and the Youtube community, but this drama is also proof that they recognize what is on there. Nintendo games are the number one "play" videos. The interesting thing here is that most of the popular ones are of older games AND done by a younger up and coming gaming crowd.

There is a group of gamers that really seek out videogames in the form of controller/visual mastery. The idea of speedrunning is a plague on youtube and nintendo is at the forefront. Nintendo has even mentioned the term in multiple Nintendo Directs. The retro scene is large because of nostalgia, of course, but there is a growing chunk of that crowd that was hardly even born in each respected era. I think Nintendo is going to go after this market.

And I absolutely adore gameplay centric games built around depth or being uncompromising for the sake of a singular vision (ala Shadow of Chernobyl), but I also like some new things. Where as Galaxy on the Wii felt like a breath of fresh air, 3D Land, DK, Smash, and Mk8 was like "oh they made another one of those" and sure in some cases it was one of their better ones (Mk8 apparently is one of their better ones), but I wasn't impressed by overall.

I'm fine with whatever Nintendo does for the sake of business, but when their games come off creatively bankrupt that's when I feel they deserve some harsh criticism. No one uses the word "good" to describe Nintendo, they use the term "great", so as far as I'm concerned they should be held to that standard. And a lot of Nintendo's output has only really only been good, part of that has to do with them not willing to branch out of their comfort zone once in awhile. Albeit yes Splatoon/Codename Steam are a nice step forward.

Well I think a lot of that stems from players unwilling to learn. I laugh at people that think Mario 64 has bad control. Just because there is an actual learning curve to build skill at the game doesn't make it bad, and I'd adore Nintendo if they went back down this route and made a more 3d geometrical platformer like Mario 64 vs any of the more recent ones.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Oh, most definitely Nintendo. It makes lol how much garbage and mediocrity some put on a pedestal because it has an " Official Nintendo Seal of Quality."

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Well I think a lot of that stems from players unwilling to learn. I laugh at people that think Mario 64 has bad control. Just because there is an actual learning curve to build skill at the game doesn't make it bad, and I'd adore Nintendo if they went back down this route and made a more 3d geometrical platformer like Mario 64 vs any of the more recent ones.

The camera controls are definitely awkward, but the larger issue is how those games run at all, and some of the level design just being dated as ****. It's more deserving of its lofty status than Ocarina of Time (which is ridiculous when that's called GOAT status), but I wouldn't necessarily disagree with their being some needless aspects to that game.

But that's a by product of that game being well Nintendo's first real venture into 3D, so naturally it should have some growing pain design, but yeah that rest of that game is still admittedly brilliant. Still would lean towards Galaxy 2, but it be nice if they could expand on those novelties and yoshi, with the improved mechanics. Shit if anything I'd like Super Mario Sunshine 2: This time we'll make a good game edition. It would at least be a sequel to the Mario game that should get a sequel by virtue of they didn't actually execute on all the potential that game had.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

The camera controls are definitely awkward, but the larger issue is how those games run at all, and some of the level design just being dated as ****. It's more deserving of its lofty status than Ocarina of Time (which is ridiculous when that's called GOAT status), but I wouldn't necessarily disagree with their being some needless aspects to that game.

But that's a by product of that game being well Nintendo's first real venture into 3D, so naturally it should have some growing pain design, but yeah that rest of that game is still admittedly brilliant. Still would lean towards Galaxy 2, but it be nice if they could expand on those novelties and yoshi, with the improved mechanics. Shit if anything I'd like Super Mario Sunshine 2: This time we'll make a good game edition. It would at least be a sequel to the Mario game that should get a sequel by virtue of they didn't actually execute on all the potential that game had.

That camera is the one shortcoming. There are workarounds in game but they are something the player should not have to deal with. The game runs fine, though. And you say dated but I disagree. The very concept and structure of the game is still ahead of its time. Like I said, there is a lot left to the player in terms of what to make of it but it is very intentional. Ocarina is great in its own way but in terms of pure gameplay I'd say Mario 64 and Wave Race are the two best games on the N64.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Let's all fight each other about which system has marginally better graphics and deny ourselves great gaming experiences because said game isn't on the console you advertise for free...

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The poll is stupid. Neither one is overrated especially since the Wii U hasn't even sold 10 million, and there are plenty of people including Nintendo fans that call them out when it comes to there consoles, and online. PC gaming is fine but it's also stupid to compare one company to an open platform.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

Console gaming is overrated and always has been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#64 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@True_Gamer_: That's kind of odd. I know that in some countries, a lot of people go to internet cafes to play online games. A lot of countries probably have really bad Internet connections, or might not even have access to a lot of games.

My first thought would be that a lot of these PC gamers in other countries don't even own their PCs, and might not own their own games, and probably don't have high-end gaming PCs. A lot of them probably have a thriving gaming black-market, like in China where many games are bootleg ones. But this is something I would probably have to do a whole lot of research on.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Oh, a @samanthademeste thread...move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Nether

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#67 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@Seabas989 said:

The poll is stupid. Neither one is overrated especially since the Wii U hasn't even sold 10 million, and there are plenty of people including Nintendo fans that call them out when it comes to there consoles, and online. PC gaming is fine but it's also stupid to compare one company to an open platform.

Pretty much covered my thoughts with this.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@vtoshkatur said:

Let's all fight each other about which system has marginally better graphics and deny ourselves great gaming experiences because said game isn't on the console you advertise for free...

...uh yeah, that's pretty much what we do here. It is called System Wars after all

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

$ony this gen.

@madsnakehhh said:

Oh, a @samanthademeste thread...move along folks, nothing to see here.

Right? he makes horrible polls then adds nothing to the discussions.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Bait thread with nothing to discuss. Let me have a word with the person who moved it here ... :P