Who is more overrated, Nintendo or PC gaming?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By samanthademeste

Poll Who is more overrated, Nintendo or PC gaming? (65 votes)

Nintendo 57%
PC gaming 31%
both are equally overrated 12%

I am going to vote for the third option. Both are pretty overrated IMO. (ps: I own nintendo consoles and a gaming PC. Yes they are both insanely and indisputably overrated.)

• 
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Give your reasoning for why they are overrated.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I happen to have the same thing as you,owning both consoles,but I overestimate PC,it's not good to see my PC as a gaming device than it is to business use.

as for the whole thread,I guess you're ready for System Wars. and the mods are taking it there..hold on,I'll call in @charizard1605 to deal with this relocation

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Maybe Nintendo is overrated sometimes, but at least they have done a lot to deserve the praise they get. Nintendo is a highly skilled developer, and definitely one of the most original. They are responsible for creating many game mechanics that revolutionized genres, and to this day continue to innovate with different kinds of ideas and a different perspective on games.

By contrast, PC gaming is something aimed almost exclusively at rich people and PC enthusiasts, and benefits those who are looking to play games with the best graphics money can buy. You need the money to update your PC and its various parts, and you need the know-how to keep everything running at maximum efficiency. You constantly need to upgrade your parts and keep everything compatible because different games have different requirements, and technology is constantly out-dating itself.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Is this question more appropriate for the System Wars forum?

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#5 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Nintendo. Their library is lackluster outside a few exclusives that come around the end of year. It has no 3rd party support and it's downloadable / indie library is far behind that of the other platforms. I cant fault their handheld, though, but I feel the 3DS' library isnt as strong as the DS' one.

PC gaming is more accessible than ever before, has the most quality games from different genres and delivery models. It's variety is growing with Japanese developers slowly embracing the platform. Along with the usual AAA games and Indies (PC has by far the best Indie games), It also has seen a resurgence of themiddle tier that you barely see on consoles and 3rd parties still making games exclusively for the platform as the userbase is incredibly large now thanks to the growing Youtube and Twitch communities whom are primarily PC-centric..

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Nintendo has this fanbase that puts it on a pedestal and rate is as something unique , so in a way you could say they are overrated by them

But its just a small base so i wouldn't say that either is overrated at all. except by the gaming media sometimes like with bayonetta 2 and various other nintendo games.

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#7  Edited By woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

None , what is overrated is Gamespot and its users which their arguments almost always about graphics , device X vs device Y , what is overrated and underrated , same old comparisons , bashing Nintendo ...

look , there are facts that looks like only a few got it , which are :

1-PC is the most powerfull device , please do not compare it with consoles , PC is always upgradable but the consoles aren't , so its unfair to compare them.

2-Nintendo is a high quality game developer (All gamers should be glad they are still around) , unlike other companies which their first priority is money .

3-Comparisons is a good thing but do not mix them . for example don't compare Project Cars graphics with Kill Zone the two are different.

4-I don't own PS4 or XBONE but its pretty obvious to anyone that PS4 is more powerfull.

and the last one , but it think most of you got it right is :

Smartphone/Tablet games shouldn't be considered games at all its just time wasters .

I just had to say this once and for all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I'll just leave this thread over here...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

D. Sony

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Neither.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

Nintendo. Their library is lackluster outside a few exclusives that come around the end of year. It has no 3rd party support and it's downloadable / indie library is far behind that of the other platforms. I cant fault their handheld, though, but I feel the 3DS' library isnt as strong as the DS' one.

PC gaming is more accessible than ever before, has the most quality games from different genres and delivery models. It's variety is growing with Japanese developers slowly embracing the platform. Along with the usual AAA games and Indies (PC has by far the best Indie games), It also has seen a resurgence of themiddle tier that you barely see on consoles and 3rd parties still making games exclusively for the platform as the userbase is incredibly large now thanks to the growing Youtube and Twitch communities whom are primarily PC-centric..

Throw in the fact that Nintendo is mostly creatively deprived as Eiji Aunoma has never made his own ip, Retro Studios has never made a new ip since starting work for Nintendo with Metroid Prime, Miyamoto hasn't done a new ip since Pikmin, Sakurai hasn't done a new ip since Smash Bros, the good feel guys effectively take already existing characters and make spin off titles with them (kirby/yoshi), with Splatoon and Codename being the first major exceptions in a good while vs the PC which routinely gets newer, unique, fresher ideas be it by virtue of getting third party multiplats, or the growing independent/kick starter scene.

Yeah it's not even close, the PC offers dramatically more than what Nintendo can offer.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@korvus:

That's nice, just throw him to the wolves ;)

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

PC is impossible to be overrated best looking games, best backwards compatibility, backed up data, best competitive games online, best social gaming

How is the best gaming system ever made overrated? Think about that, just food for thought. It can literally emulate every system and gives you the most bang for your buck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@GarGx1: Trial by fire. They either got what it takes or they don't. We will know soon. And now we wait at a safe distance; don't want blood spatters on my new clothes... ;-)

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

PC is underrated there is absolutely no reason to own a console these days and more people realise that everyday.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@PikminWorld said:

D. Sony

And

C. Microsoft

Both are try hards that don't get anything right.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

PC is definitely overrated by System Wars, but generally speaking, it's pretty legit. It's just funny how some of the hermits here talk about some consoles games as if they actually played them.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

PC is definitely overrated by System Wars, but generally speaking, it's pretty legit. It's just funny how some of the hermits here talk about some consoles games as if they actually played them.

why not? owning a console is cheap as peanuts for most pc gamers which are adults with healthy incomes.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Both deserve quite a bit of praise. Nintendo's caliber is extremely high and the PC ecosystem is top notch.

If anything, I'd say Sony gets overpraised.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

why not? owning a console is cheap as peanuts for most pc gamers which are adults with healthy incomes.

There are plenty of people in this forum who talk out of their butt about console games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Though Nintendo are currently my favorite of the latest three consoles, that is only because my daughter and wife really like them ...and Mario Kart is really fun when friends are over. Iv never really liked any Mario game and always believed those games to be overrated.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The only things truly over-rated here on System Wars are most of Sony and Microsoft systems' exclusives. All gen every gen.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

We all have a different experience with PC gaming. It cannot be overrated. It is what you make it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@illmatic87 said:

Throw in the fact that Nintendo is mostly creatively deprived as Eiji Aunoma has never made his own ip, Retro Studios has never made a new ip since starting work for Nintendo with Metroid Prime, Miyamoto hasn't done a new ip since Pikmin, Sakurai hasn't done a new ip since Smash Bros, the good feel guys effectively take already existing characters and make spin off titles with them (kirby/yoshi), with Splatoon and Codename being the first major exceptions in a good while vs the PC which routinely gets newer, unique, fresher ideas be it by virtue of getting third party multiplats, or the growing independent/kick starter scene.

Yeah it's not even close, the PC offers dramatically more than what Nintendo can offer.

New ip, old ip--who gives a fck. What really matters are new gameplay ideas. Personally wouldn't care for a tacked on ip just for the sake of filling in a check box. Metroid Prime is Metroid in character but is the game not different?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SamiRDuran said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

There are plenty of people in this forum who talk out of their butt about console games.

last time i checked, this section was called System Wars, so maybe that has something to do with it? i've always been a PC gamer, and i've always owned consoles too from each gen. while i think that PC is absolutely the most potent platform, it's obvious why consoles' accessibility appeals. with appealing (read; well selling) platform comes great games too.

but yeah, i sometimes like to pour a little bit of fuel into the fire here... :)

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

yeah with PC all your games and patches are downloaded TO YOUR HARD DRIVE YOU OWN IT

with the ps4 if there service goes down and you didn't have all your games backed up your screwed i got like hard drives everywhere for my pc i can't trust sony i can't do it i can't be a blind cow just wlaking around i need to know my stuff there on my thing

ps4 hard drive is only 500gigs thats like 1/8 of my pc hard drive and i got more on the side i just can't trust sony i dunno hwo u guys can if they go bankrupt all my patches an my online games ar egone with pc, pc never lets anything die out servers an backed up data for life u can trust pc u can trust the pc community for life

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Neither. PS4 and XB1

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

They both get mooaar credit than they should in SW so eh, it's a toss up. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jg4xchamp

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

New ip, old ip--who gives a fck. What really matters are new gameplay ideas. Personally wouldn't care for a tacked on ip just for the sake of filling in a check box. Metroid Prime is Metroid in character but is the game not different?

Which would be an argument that flies, if Nintendo was actually doing any new interesting gameplay ideas. After the Galaxy stuff, I'm not looking at what 3D Land and 3D World did as something new. Adjustments sure, refined in some areas sure, a twist maybe, but it was more of the same. Ditto for smash, ditto for donkey kong, ditto for Kart. Zelda that remains to be seen, but they already did the go tackle dungeons out of order thing already with Link Between Worlds, so if that's their hook for the new one I'm not exactly seeing some fresh idea from them.

In contrast while Bayonetta, Rising, and The Wonderful 101 are beat em up games, they are actually wildly different in their approach. Bayonetta was more combo centric in the vein of devil may cry and straight op main character, Rising is built around offensive defensive more about getting quick kills from your parry and less about just getting high combo strings (though an option in the game), and The Wonderful 101 is legit one of the more unique experiences in that genre as the different weapons are effectively used as tools ala Megaman games/adventure styled games where it's a matter of knowing match ups and counters.

Nintendo doesn't always do that with their ips. Super Metroid to Metroid Prime is one thing, admirable, but Metroid Prime 2 to Metroid Prime 3? not so much (although there is the added bonus that I don't liked dumbed down ass Metroid Prime 3 to boot).

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Canadians are overrated

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Think I may be underrating them, honestly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Which would be an argument that flies, if Nintendo was actually doing any new interesting gameplay ideas. After the Galaxy stuff, I'm not looking at what 3D Land and 3D World did as something new. Adjustments sure, refined in some areas sure, a twist maybe, but it was more of the same. Ditto for smash, ditto for donkey kong, ditto for Kart. Zelda that remains to be seen, but they already did the go tackle dungeons out of order thing already with Link Between Worlds, so if that's their hook for the new one I'm not exactly seeing some fresh idea from them.

In contrast while Bayonetta, Rising, and The Wonderful 101 are beat em up games, they are actually wildly different in their approach. Bayonetta was more combo centric in the vein of devil may cry and straight op main character, Rising is built around offensive defensive more about getting quick kills from your parry and less about just getting high combo strings (though an option in the game), and The Wonderful 101 is legit one of the more unique experiences in that genre as the different weapons are effectively used as tools ala Megaman games/adventure styled games where it's a matter of knowing match ups and counters.

Nintendo doesn't always do that with their ips. Super Metroid to Metroid Prime is one thing, admirable, but Metroid Prime 2 to Metroid Prime 3? not so much (although there is the added bonus that I don't liked dumbed down ass Metroid Prime 3 to boot).

I can understand that and agree to an extant. Nintendo has far too many Street Fighter-esque games where there tends to be a fear from fans with change.

However....

3D World is far more different than Galaxy was to Sunshine. Same for Skyward Sword. Nintendo Land is actually great. Metroid Other M is much different. Starfox was changed to not even being recognizable. Excitetruck.............I don't really have time at the moment and i promise it isn't an excuse, but Nintendo does make change--the issue is that this is how they make money and if the product doesn't bring return they cannot pursue said ideas. They still attempt to do so, though.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

someone's salty

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#34 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

None of them are overrated but if I have to choose one I'll say Nintendo because they have no multiplats. PC has both exclusives and superior multiplats PLUS every game since 80s to till this day on a single machine.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

None of them are overrated but if I have to choose one I'll say Nintendo because they have no multiplats. PC has both exclusives and superior multiplats PLUS every game since 80s to till this day on a single machine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Cloud_imperium said:

PC has both exclusives and superior multiplats PLUS every game since 80s to till this day on a single machine.

lol. Which isn't even legal most of the time and can be detrimental to a dedicated business.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cloud_imperium

@Heirren said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

PC has both exclusives and superior multiplats PLUS every game since 80s to till this day on a single machine.

lol. Which isn't even legal most of the time and can be detrimental to a dedicated business.

What? I wasn't talking about emulators. I was talking about PC games. Since you've mentioned that. Add that to pros as well. lol.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I say PC and that 4k mumbo jumbo is way overrated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Heirren said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

What? I wasn't talking about emulators. I was talking about PC games. Since you've mentioned that. Add that to pros as well. lol.

You said "exclusives and superior multiplats PLUS every game since 80s...."

I figured you were implying as you separated exclusives/multiplats from the other part.

I know emulation is an iffy subject here so I am unsure if we can even discuss it. What I will say is that it is alright for preservation and perhaps seeking out a game if it is next to impossible to find, or if the owner isn't looking to profit from their product.

For example: I'd gladly pay for a bunch of old arcade games. Capcom released HD Street Fighter. I thought it looked terrible. I figured there'd be an arcade perfect port along with it. It was this reason that I actually went looking into how to get the actual old street fighter game running.

Still though, things like Mario 64 and Gamecube and a lot of Sega things which are being sold? It is a bad thing.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Both

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

PlayStation

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I can understand that and agree to an extant. Nintendo has far too many Street Fighter-esque games where there tends to be a fear from fans with change.

However....

3D World is far more different than Galaxy was to Sunshine. Same for Skyward Sword. Nintendo Land is actually great. Metroid Other M is much different. Starfox was changed to not even being recognizable. Excitetruck.............I don't really have time at the moment and i promise it isn't an excuse, but Nintendo does make change--the issue is that this is how they make money and if the product doesn't bring return they cannot pursue said ideas. They still attempt to do so, though.

I disagree on these fronts. And it goes without saying that some of level of quality is expected to. It's not like I skipped Bayonetta 2 for being another sequel, though I do hold against the game a bit for too much of a sequel.

Mechanically 3D World is "different", and I would argue it's a step down even further. Where Galaxy already was stripping away core platforming mechanics of 64/Sunshine (an area I will agree mechanically 64 and Sunshine are Galaxy's superior) it complimented that with a wider variety of novelties and one offs that I hadn't actually seen in this genre. 2 was more of that, made more challenging, even more fresher ideas, and made more straight clean platforming. A bit rigid, but ultimately pure and beautiful.

3D World is stiff in comparison with its 2d/3d hybrid thing going on, and takes more of the mechanics away from the core Mario platforming. While throwing in these wide spaces that make the core platforming unsatisfying, plus after awhile the cat suit was dull as hell. Those copy cat mario clones? all about that shit. The cat suit? Nope. Overall even with those changed mechanics, the core gameplay loop is fundamentally still Mario, It wasn't some wild departure from Galaxy games, as much as a slight twist. Sunshine was a bit out there, Galaxy was out there, quite literally. 3D Land and World were more Nintendo fishing. Admittedly I'm still more partial to Mario, he at least evolves unlike Zelda.

Skyward Sword was more Zelda with all the short comings of Zelda pimped out to their worst possible extent. Between the hand holding, the fetch quests, the boring over worlds. They made an attempt to expand on the combat with the motion controls, that were more or less not as responsive as a gamepad, thus not as consistent, on top of still being Zelda combat. Which is largely, wait and attack across the game. It's been unsatisfying since 1998, with the exception of some boss fights and the Iron Knuckle. I can semi agree that they did make an attempt to turn the overworld area into more of a dungeon, but they executed it super shitty. Albeit they got it right in Link Between Worlds.

Other M you have a fair point, Star Fox too (although that one way too shitty on the execution).

The thing is I'd like to see harder shifts, more frequent shifts on some level, or a straight clean slate approach to game design. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are still tied to some formula they have to fit, a new ip gives Nintendo the benefit to actually think of a game from the ground up. Which is what's cool about Codename Steam (still a turn based strategy game, they could have done it with Advance Wars/Fire Emblem, but they didn't, they instead went with something new all around) and Splatoon. I might not end up liking them as much as Zelda WiiU which ultimately might end up being the most Zelda ass Zelda, but at least Nintendo is flexing their creative muscle on some level. It's when they don't even try that is fucking infuriating.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Mario 3D World proved Nintendo could produce an awesome 4 player coop game in a 3D environment. It was simply an amazing feat to achieve.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp
@iandizion713 said:

@jg4xchamp: Mario 3D World proved Nintendo could produce an awesome 4 player coop game in a 3D environment. It was simply an amazing feat to achieve.

One that's built around either making it complete chaos or requires the players to coordinate in a manner during certain levels that it's more tedious than genius. Is it a fun game to coop with someone? Sure, but it's not one that actually does interesting things with the coop, it's not a Left 4 Dead scenario where there is a clear as day benefit to play that game in coop (albeit yes that game goes the other way in making the solo play virtually unplayable), it is coop in a very dull way, which is they added coop. Which ultimately is fun, because just about any game is fun in coop, unless you have shitty friends, or you're playing Resident Evil 6.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: that's probably because many of them have played those console games

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

If anything PC is underrated

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Maybe Nintendo is overrated sometimes, but at least they have done a lot to deserve the praise they get. Nintendo is a highly skilled developer, and definitely one of the most original. They are responsible for creating many game mechanics that revolutionized genres, and to this day continue to innovate with different kinds of ideas and a different perspective on games.

By contrast, PC gaming is something aimed almost exclusively at rich people and PC enthusiasts, and benefits those who are looking to play games with the best graphics money can buy. You need the money to update your PC and its various parts, and you need the know-how to keep everything running at maximum efficiency. You constantly need to upgrade your parts and keep everything compatible because different games have different requirements, and technology is constantly out-dating itself.

PC dominates poor countries

Consoles dominate rich counries

Strange heh?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cloud_imperium

@AdrianWerner said:

If anything PC is underrated

That's true. Mainstream websites and award show are all about games marketed and backed by Console companies, even though if there are better games on PC that year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:

@Heirren said:

@jg4xchamp said:

However....

I disagree on these fronts. And it goes without saying that some of level of quality is expected to. It's not like I skipped Bayonetta 2 for being another sequel, though I do hold against the game a bit for too much of a sequel.

Mechanically 3D World is "different", and I would argue it's a step down even further. Where Galaxy already was stripping away core platforming mechanics of 64/Sunshine (an area I will agree mechanically 64 and Sunshine are Galaxy's superior) it complimented that with a wider variety of novelties and one offs that I hadn't actually seen in this genre. 2 was more of that, made more challenging, even more fresher ideas, and made more straight clean platforming. A bit rigid, but ultimately pure and beautiful.

3D World is stiff in comparison with its 2d/3d hybrid thing going on, and takes more of the mechanics away from the core Mario platforming. While throwing in these wide spaces that make the core platforming unsatisfying, plus after awhile the cat suit was dull as hell. Those copy cat mario clones? all about that shit. The cat suit? Nope. Overall even with those changed mechanics, the core gameplay loop is fundamentally still Mario, It wasn't some wild departure from Galaxy games, as much as a slight twist. Sunshine was a bit out there, Galaxy was out there, quite literally. 3D Land and World were more Nintendo fishing. Admittedly I'm still more partial to Mario, he at least evolves unlike Zelda.

Skyward Sword was more fucking Zelda with all the short comings of mother fucking Zelda pimped out to their worst possible extent. Between the hand holding, the fetch quests, the boring over worlds. They made an attempt to expand on the combat with the motion controls, that were more or less not as responsive as a gamepad, thus not as consistent, on top of still being Zelda combat. Which is largely, wait and attack across the game. It's been unsatisfying since 1998, with the exception of some boss fights and the Iron Knuckle. I can semi agree that they did make an attempt to turn the overworld area into more of a dungeon, but they executed it super shitty. Albeit they got it right in Link Between Worlds.

Other M you have a fair point, Star Fox too (although that one way too shitty on the execution).

The thing is I'd like to see harder shifts, more frequent shifts on some level, or a straight clean slate approach to game design. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are still tied to some formula they have to fit, a new ip gives Nintendo the benefit to actually think of a game from the ground up. Which is what's cool about Codename Steam (still a turn based strategy game, they could have done it with Advance Wars/Fire Emblem, but they didn't, they instead went with something new all around) and Splatoon. I might not end up liking them as much as Zelda WiiU which ultimately might end up being the most Zelda ass Zelda, but at least Nintendo is flexing their creative muscle on some level. It's when they don't even try that is fucking infuriating.

What I will say right now is that it looks as though Nintendo is judging the market and what the actual audience is. With a huge product like the wii, the wiiu R&D was likely already well underway. It is a product that was being developed--again, likely--in a means to evolve the wii audience, one which ultimately did not return. In conjunction with that though, Nintendo also seems to be adjusting to suit their actual audience again.

All of the games coming out are offering a level of depth that has been simplified over time. Majoras Mask is selling, Link Between Worlds was praised, people call MK8 the best Mario Kart, etc. Contrast that with players being appalled by the Yoshi 3DS game--and Nintendo now does a direct stressing its multiple difficulties. I know there is a bunch of Drama surrounding Nintendo and the Youtube community, but this drama is also proof that they recognize what is on there. Nintendo games are the number one "play" videos. The interesting thing here is that most of the popular ones are of older games AND done by a younger up and coming gaming crowd.

There is a group of gamers that really seek out videogames in the form of controller/visual mastery. The idea of speedrunning is a plague on youtube and nintendo is at the forefront. Nintendo has even mentioned the term in multiple Nintendo Directs. The retro scene is large because of nostalgia, of course, but there is a growing chunk of that crowd that was hardly even born in each respected era. I think Nintendo is going to go after this market.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@iandizion713: No it didn't, 3D World falls apart in any sort of MP.