Who has the most talented 1st party - N, S, X, or Valve?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

Poll Who has the most talented 1st party - N, S, X, or Valve? (89 votes)

Nintendo 45%
Sony 27%
Xbox 7%
Valve 21%

This was a tough one because they all have some very talented studios. But being that Sony has Naughty Dog, I'd have to go with them. Both Uncharted 2 and Last of Us were really amazing games that pushed the medium forward in gameplay AND storytelling. Rarely can you find a game that does both. What do you think, SW?

• 
intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'm kinda biased here because Half-Life is my favorite franchise of all time. I'm aware that people really enjoy Uncharted and TLOU, but those games never gave me the same experience as a Half-Life game.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I suppose Ninty's is the most consistent, but..... Hell, I'll give it to Ninty.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@FastRobby said:

This generation it is clear that Microsoft is in the lead.

LOL

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Nintendo has probably the highest quality and polish but new ideas seem to be a problem. MS seem to rely so much on timed exclusive third party or second party that while they have always gotten great exclusive content they don't get much of it from true first party sources. I love valve but there library is actually pretty small.

So yeah I have to go with sony for amount of true first party, quality and also innovation in the form of not only taking chances on new ideas with new internal developers, but taking chances on new ideas for old studios instead of being like activision and expecting them to churn out yearly installments of the same franchises for eternity.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Nintendo and it's not even a close competition.

Anyone who votes Sony needs to go get a grip on reality. Sony barely has a lot of good IP's let alone good selling IP's and nothing they have is as memorable as the characters Nintendo has.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Nintendo, though they suffer from too much crap, side projects, ports, spinoffs and remakes and not enough proper, AAA games. But on their day, their best games are unbeatable.

Then Sony, who have too many generic shooters and racers but apart from that have some fantastic single player action, adventure, and RPG titles.

Then Microsoft, who had a small core of top games (Halo, Gears and Forza), a slightly bigger core of great games (pre Kinect Rare, Lost Odyssey, Fable, PGR, etc) but have now pretty much fallen apart.

Then Valve, who I've always found overrated. Still some great games but they are more about Steam these days.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I like both Sony and Microsoft.

Valve games are great, but they release too few of them. Also, no H-L3.

I can't stand Nintendo. Seems they're incapable to make anything new apart from games in the Mario/Zelda franchise.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

SONY

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Nintendo obviously and valve coming at second place.

And then Naughty Dog > every MS studio.

ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

Nintendo. Valve hasn't done anything significant since 2007.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Nintendo has 10 studios, Sony has 30, Microsoft 20, Valve 1. Its totally unfair poll.

ZombeGoast Nintendo. Valve hasn't done anything significant since 2007

Really? Left 4 Dead? Team Fortress 2? Portal 2? Dota 2?

Left 4 Dead is best co-op online game of all time, same thing with portal.

Dota 2 is one of the most famous PC games of all time.

Team Fortress 2 is most played FPS game of all time.

What online games Nintendo gave so far?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46192 Posts

Does Valve still make games ?

I would say Nintendo or Sony. Microsoft has way too few first or second party. Perhaps they shouldn't have closed or let go of so many studios.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@locopatho said:

Nintendo, though they suffer from too much crap, side projects, ports, spinoffs and remakes and not enough proper, AAA games. But on their day, their best games are unbeatable.

Then Sony, who have too many generic shooters and racers but apart from that have some fantastic single player action, adventure, and RPG titles.

Then Microsoft, who had a small core of top games (Halo, Gears and Forza), a slightly bigger core of great games (pre Kinect Rare, Lost Odyssey, Fable, PGR, etc) but have now pretty much fallen apart.

Then Valve, who I've always found overrated. Still some great games but they are more about Steam these days.

I.......agree?!?!? (Except that I don't completely agree that MS has fallen apart)

On their best day it's Nintendo and it's not even close.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I would say Nintendo or Sony. Microsoft has way too few first or second party. Perhaps they shouldn't have closed or let go of so many studios.

Read my last post.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k  Online

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Read my last post.

Don't care about CS and DOTA.

Again, does Valve still make games ? Or soley DLC and hats?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Read my last post.

Portal 2 was a pretty darn good game, don't ya think?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I went with sony. They have a wealth of variety in their tittles, and aren't afraid of trying new things. Over the years I've played far more original stories and game worlds from that company, then any other company on that list. Nintendo would come second, just due to the sheer polish and shine they put in their tittles. But they don't have the wealth of variety that sony puts out.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

Portal 2 was a pretty darn good game, don't ya think?

Yep, I like a lot of Valve franchises:

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress and most of all: Day of Defeat and Half Life.

But how long has it been since any of these games came out. Way too long if you ask me.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

By far it's Nintendo. The others don't even put up a fight against them.

Sony gets a good game here and there, but Nintendo consistently creates genre topping experiences bursting with polish and creativity at an exceptional rate.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Valve . Not only one of the best game developers but also very honest game distributors . Their focus had already been on user generated content and these guys are against first party exclusives . I support democracy .

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Lol at valve inclusion. It's nintendo, with sony hot on their trail, almost tied tbh.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

This isn't even a fair comparison. Nintendo have decades of experience building some of the most forward-thinking, border-smashing games in history. VALVe, while talented is nowhere near as prolific as Nintendo.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@ZombeGoast said:

Nintendo. Valve hasn't done anything significant since 2007.

Portal 2 was released in 2011 and not only it was one of the most innovative games ever created but also won several Game of the Year awards that year .

DOTA 2 is one of the most played games ever , right next to LOL . Team Fortress 2 is most played FPS in game history .

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Read my last post.

while you might not care about it, DOTA 2 is still a game that officially released in 2013 and CSGO was 2012

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Ask yourselves this honest question ... "What games are currently bigger than DoTA 2 from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft" ...

at a push, you could possible make a case of Mario Kart ... but then that was Mario Kart Wii or 3DS ... the Wii-U won't reach anywhere near the same heights.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@MBirdy88 said:

Ask yourselves this honest question ... "What games are currently bigger than DoTA 2 from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft" ...

at a push, you could possible make a case of Mario Kart ... but then that was Mario Kart Wii or 3DS ... the Wii-U won't reach anywhere near the same heights.

TLOU remastered!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k  Online

@lostrib said:

while you might not care about it, DOTA 2 is still a game that officially released in 2013 and CSGO was 2012

People had been playing DOTA for way longer. So I didn't count the official release.

As far as I see it there were no 'new' Valve games last year and they haven't announced anything for the foreseeable future.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lostrib
@R4gn4r0k said:

@lostrib said:

People had been playing DOTA for way longer. So I didn't count the official release.

As far as I see it there were no 'new' Valve games last year and they haven't announced anything for the foreseeable future.

It was in beta and only available via invite. So it was not fully open to the public until it launched

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@lostrib said:

It was in beta and only available via invite. So it was not fully open to the public until it launched

Yet it was pretty much feature complete before 2014. Doesn't matter. I'm wondering: do they still make games now ?

No word on any new game since DOTA launched. But it's not like they still have to make games. They make enough money from steam, DOTA and TF. I'm also sure that the Steam market makes them tonnes of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@lostrib said:

Yet it was pretty much feature complete before 2014. Doesn't matter. I'm wondering: do they still make games now ?

No word on any new game since DOTA launched. But it's not like they still have to make games. They make enough money from steam, DOTA and TF. I'm also sure that the Steam market makes them tonnes of money.

Mobas require a large ongoing developement process, "feature complete" means nothing.... the meta game changes very few months, the large esport scene required... new character developement ect ect. probably slows down the creation of new games.

That being said.... they don't have to churn remasters out to get people to buy machines.... the delay is probably to do with getting Source 2 ready for PC/X1/PS4 ... if anything like Source 1 ... will be a damn bigger deal to the industry than the other mentioned games.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Nintendo and Sony both for sure!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo, and in spite of all the strides Sony has made in the last seven years, it's still not close.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@MBirdy88 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@lostrib said:

Mobas require a large ongoing developement process, "feature complete" means nothing.... the meta game changes very few months, the large esport scene required... new character developement ect ect. probably slows down the creation of new games.

That being said.... they don't have to churn remasters out to get people to buy machines.... the delay is probably to do with getting Source 2 ready for PC/X1/PS4 ... if anything like Source 1 ... will be a damn bigger deal to the industry than the other mentioned games.

I know, I said it "doesn't matter". I'm not trying to argue whether DOTA was released in 2013 or 2014, the game is still being worked on :)

I'm just wondering if they still make games. People have been talking about L4D3 and HL3 and their new source engine for so long... but has valve actually come out and said something?

I would sure as hell love it if they made any of these three things. I really like Valve as a developer, as I have told someone else in this thread. It's just a shame I haven't been interested in a single one of their games since Portal 2.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Nintendo, factually.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Nintendo, by far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I'm also very confused how either Uncharted or the last of Us pushed gaming forward in terms of gameplay. With regards to storytelling? Yes, definitely, they pretty much set the standard. What exactly did they do on the gameplay front that was so revolutionary, however?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#38 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

@FastRobby said:

This generation it is clear that Microsoft is in the lead.

I agree with you sir.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

What exactly do you mean by talent? Technically its Sony. The performance the devs get out of the consoles on first party games is insane. Design wise its probably valve..

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I'm also very confused how either Uncharted or the last of Us pushed gaming forward in terms of gameplay. With regards to storytelling? Yes, definitely, they pretty much set the standard. What exactly did they do on the gameplay front that was so revolutionary, however?

I agree with uncharted, but TLOU enemy behavior was the highlight of last gen for me. How many games can claim that every encounter is different than the previous one(even replaying the same mission).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ladyblue said:

@charizard1605 said:

I agree with uncharted, but TLOU enemy behavior was the highlight of last gen for me. How many games can claim that every encounter is different than the previous one(even replaying the same mission).

To be fair, I have not played much of The Last of Us yet, so I may be wrong in that regard. What I played seemed to be a fairly standard, although exceptionally well done and highly atmospheric, game as far as encounter design goes. But if you are right, then I clearly needed more time with the game- the time I spent made it clear enough the game is exceptionally good at storytelling. I just did not happen to see any such thing for gameplay.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Nintendo, Valve, M$ all they have are one trick pony developers. Sony are the only answer here because they have made games on virtually every genre: Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Jak & Daxter, The Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, the underrated Starhawk, Siren, Little Big Planet, etc.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page here, we all know that DOTA is a WarCraft III custom game map, right? Not an original property created by VALVe.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Most talented Nintendo. Do they get to flex said talent or actually live up to it very often? not really.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

Nintendo, no contest. It's not even funny how far away the others are.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ninty only good at making kiddy franchises and m$ only do shooters. sony has a good blend of everything

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Valve being a first party is a silly notion. PC has no first party.

Among the console makers Nintendo is clearly the most successful when it comes to first party titles.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Ninty = Overpriced, overhyped nostalgia-based garbage

Sony = Rent and return QTE movie-like games

M$ = Dudebro FPS that pretend to be exclusives

Valve = Great SP experiences, no infested QTE garbage, great MP (TF2) including co-op (L4D), competitive gaming (CS and Dota). What else can you ask, other than HL 3 of course.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Uncharted 2 did movie style action sequences better than any game I can remember before that. Many epic moments!