Who has the best controller - PS4, X1, or Wii U (gamepad or pro)

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who has the best controller - PS4, X1, or Wii U (gamepad or pro) (105 votes)

PS4 51%
X1 21%
Gamepad (Wii U) 15%
Pro (Wii U) 11%

Originally I kinda liked the X1's, but it's kind of heavy. Also, I don't know how I feel about those vibrating triggers. Wii U Gamepad is cool, but only for certain games. The Pro feels very generic to me. I'd probably pick dualshock 4 just because of the overall feel in my hands. I do think the option button and the new motion surface is kind of wacky (based on how it's implemented in Shadow Fall)

• 
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Wheres the Kinect ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

The Wii U pro controller is pretty much perfect.

It's a lot like a 360 controller. But it has a way better D-pad and the built in battery lasts forever.

The only thing that's worse than a 360 controller are the triggers, because they are not triggers.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

PS4 takes it this round (last gen I preferred the 360 pad), X1 controller feels a bit small this time around and it's uncomfortable for me to hit the shoulder buttons on it.

edit to add: I'd give it to the wiiU pro but the triggers and analogs are complete trash... -_____-

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

After feeling the X1 it's definitely the best followed by the PS4 controller.

I don't actually think the Wii U gamepad is very ergonomic, and I haven't felt the Wii U classic controller pro

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Gesyma said:

PS4 takes it this round (last gen I preferred the 360 pad), X1 controller feels a bit small this time around and it's uncomfortable for me to hit the shoulder buttons on it.

edit to add: I'd give it to the wiiU pro but the triggers and analogs are complete trash... -_____-

I do agree that the PS4 controller than the WiiU Pro controller in some ways.

But its battery life is abysmal. One Wii U pro charge would last about 20 PS4 charges.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

The Xbox controller is better purely because of the placement of the sticks.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I don't own any of these consoles but I've played with them and in my limited experience with each I'd go with the xbone. I like the changes to the dual shock. The DS4 is the best playstation controller to date but the xbone controller just fits my hands better. Wii u tablet is bulky clumsy and impractical at times. Xbone is an A. Ps4 B+. Wii u C. Haven't used the wii u pro controller yet though.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I don't own an XBone, so my time with its controller is limited, but it seems like a great controller again. Again, this is from a short time with the controller, but I came away feeeling like it fit awkwardly in my hand compared to the 360 pad, which surprised me, but more time with it might have helped.

PS4 controller is definitely an improvement over the DS3 of last gen, in almost every way imaginable.

Never used the Pro pad for WiiU but the Gamepad felt bulky and awkward. I highly doubt more time with it would ever put it above the controllers from MS and Sony.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

xbox one by far. I can't wait for an adapter to use it on my PS4.

16+ hour battery life and never a need to plug it in and recharge or use it wired with eneloop batteries

rumble triggers are amazing

ergonomically pleasing to hold for long gaming sessions. perfect size and shape and weight

Button placement is amazing. access to bumpers w/o moving fingers off the triggers, LS is in the primary position. Buttons feel nice and access to all of them are easy. triggers have nice feedback and push.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Xbox One's, but only because of the rumble triggers. If the DualShock 4 had rumble triggers, it would take the cake.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

The X1 controller, perfect stick placement, the ds4 sticks are cheaply made, the triggers pinch my fingers when in rest position.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

From what I've played, the Ps4 controller.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i would have voted for the X1 controller but the placement of the trigger buttons on the X1 controller are awkward as hell for me. my fingers catch a cramp everytime i reach for LB and RB.. so my vote goes to the PS4 controller.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

PS4 has superior stick placement. X1 has it in the wrong spot.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

For 3D Games: The Xbox One controller is the best because it has the best analog sticks and the analog sticks are in the ideal position for 3D gaming. The PS4 controller is the worst for 3D games because it's analog stick is in an unnatural position for 3D gaming.

For 2D Games: The PS4 controller is the best because it has the best d-pad and the d-pad is in the ideal position for 2D gaming. The Xbox One controller is the worst for 2D games because it has by far the worst d-pad and the d-pad is in an unnatural position for 2D gaming.

The Wii U Pro controller ranks in the middle for both 3D and 2D games since it is pretty decent for both, but is not the best at either.

The Wii U Tablet controller is just a gimmick with bad ergonomics. I don't enjoy using this controller for any type of game.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

PS4, dat stick placement, superior dpad, and the cool touchpad. A true nextgen pad unlike the AA battery using Xbone controller.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Steambox.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I have issues with the Wii U tablet control though it is still pretty nice feature for the system. I don't like how the right analog is above the buttons. The bumpers are sometimes easy to set off when you don't want them too, not that big of a problem though. Though, when lying down on the sofa holding the controller over my head I don't like how the buttons slide down due to gravity that's kind of annoying. Other than that though I love remove play on the controller, depending on the game I never play on my TV if it can be avoided. It also holds a nice decent charge to it.

I've tried the X1 controller and I think it feels fine, despite trigger rumble still like the Xbox 360 controller better but hey I can live with it. Though I don't get the gripe people had with the bumpers, I think they're responsive and not difficult to deal with the slightest. The d-pad isn't as crude as the Xbox 360 controller but I never really cared about the d-pad on the Xbox 360 either, I mean it's basic function for most games was simply as a inventory button, like gun switching or item shortcuts or whatever, never ever required any find degree of precision with it.

Still have not tried a DS4 but my concerns for it are that it does not lay flat without laying on the triggers, that's something I feel they should have addressed. Both the Wii U and X1 controllers can lay flat without laying down on the triggers. Also, the rubbers on the analogs rub off which would worry me, if I got a PS4 I'm definitely getting some of those analog guards unless they fix it by then. Other than that though the DS4 looks to be a massive improvement on the DS3, concave analog tips rather than the convex DS3 analog tips, sturdier triggers, analogs spaced out, nice smooth look to it, and a headphone jack as I hate bluetooth, Sony finally got it right but all they did was pretty much learned by seeing what MS did right.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#19 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

PS4 controller nothing to fancy it is just your typical Playstation gaming pad.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@FinalFighters: i feel like people are using the X1 bumpers wrong, i absolutely adore the redesign of the bumpers, its my favorite part. You are just supposed to sort of roll your index finger and press the bumper with the side. Its great because its makes pressing the bumper and the trigger at the same time very easy with only one finger. Whereas with other controllers if you wanted to be able to press both at the same time you had to hold the controller all awkward and use your middle fingers for the triggers.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

X1 controller is pretty damn amazing but my DS4 and console are waiting for me at the Post Office, have to wait till I get off in 5 hours...

This thread isn't making the wait any easier, diving back into more paperwork to painfully pass the time...

EDIT: Spent about an hour with it, not sure which is better but both are stellar. Have spent a TON of time in the past few days though holding the X1 controller, they are very different but the DS4 certainly does feel very nice from the get-go.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

While ergonomically, it's not the best, but off screen play built in out of the box. It wins by default.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

X1 controller is pretty damn amazing but my DS4 and console are waiting for me at the Post Office, have to wait till I get off in 5 hours...

This thread isn't making the wait any easier, diving back into more paperwork to painfully pass the time...

Just played my PS4, it was awesome.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Dunno about the Xbox One controller but I love both the Wii U gamepad and DS4.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Dunno about the Xbox One controller but I love both the Wii U gamepad and DS4.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Easy PS4, especially because the sticks are in the proper place.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@always_explicit said:

That's utter BS and entirely a matter of habit. Your thumbs are'nt normally asymetrical.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

PS4 has the best controller, last gen Xbox360

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

I have hated the ps controller sense day one and it still stands. I tried out the X1 and I dont know how they spend that much cash and come out with that. The gamepad is awesome for what it is but not good for everything. The Pro is my favorite I use it for my pc and it feels so good and works so well. I havent felt sticks that good in any controller.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

By now don't we all agree (excluding lems cuz they're still flying on their CLOUD and haven't landed yet) DS4 is the best controller ever created for pretty much any genre? I mean i play my games (currently Stick of Truth) on pc with a mod and its f*cking amazing

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ps4. but the best controller all time is still x360

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@-God- said:

Steambox.

member since 1990? Holy ****!!!!!!

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

The Wii U pro controller is pretty much perfect.

It's a lot like a 360 controller. But it has a way better D-pad and the built in battery lasts forever.

The only thing that's worse than a 360 controller are the triggers, because they are not triggers.

this and if it was pc friendly like the ds3, I would have bought one. Only problem is that its waaay too glossy.

billy503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 billy503
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

i use teh xobox 360 and the ps3 controllers on last Gen's consoles , and i really prefered the PS3's so in my opinion i think that the PS4's controller is going to be as good as the dualshock 3

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

PS4 > Wii U Pro > X1

The lb rb buttons on the x1 controller are poorly placed. The analog sticks are too loose. The d-pad sucks and I can't look past that, it's a major part of a controller. AA batteries? Once again, the Xbox controller is the least feature packed like last gen, yet it costs the same as a PS4 controller. Let's face the facts, the X1 controller costs less to make than a ps4 controller, no sixaxis, no touchpad, no light bar, and most importantly, no headphone jack. Probably my favorite feature of the dualshock 4 is the headphone jack built right in which transmits all the console's audio straight to the headphones, a feature I use all the time. I used to have to plug into the tv but that's a thing of the past. Once again, the Sony controller has pressure sensitive analog inputs whereas the X1 uses the cheaper digital alternative. Then when you consider the X1 controller has no built in battery, the fact that it costs as much as a PS4 controller is just a money grab, much like everything they do with Xbox. Money grab = overpaying. What I mean by everything is like the console price, controller price, proprietary cables, aftermarket rechargeables, Live is more money, just cash grabs.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

X1 and PS4 controllers are about equal to me. The Gamepad is decent but I wish it Would get utilized so the size of it was worth it. The pro controller has a good feel bit the sticks, buttons, and triggers all have a loose feeling to them.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@billy503 said:

i use teh xobox 360 and the ps3 controllers on last Gen's consoles , and i really prefered the PS3's so in my opinion i think that the PS4's controller is going to be as good as the dualshock 3

Miles better...

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

Loose? sure your pro controller is not defective? They feel tighter especially the sticks then any controller ive ever used.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

1.) Gamepad

2.) DS4

3.) X1 Controller

4.) Pro Controller

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts
@MlauTheDaft said:

@always_explicit said:

That's utter BS and entirely a matter of habit. Your thumbs are'nt normally asymetrical.

It's not about symmetrical or asymmetrical. It's about where your thumb naturally rests when you hold the controller. On the Xbox controller, your thumb naturally rests over the analog stick whereas on the PS4 controller, your thumb naturally rests over the d-pad. This is great for 2D games where using the d-pad for movement is preferred, but the majority of modern games are 3D where the analog stick is better for movement. On the PS4 controller, you have to stretch your thumb out and downward to use the analog stick, which is not a natural resting position and leads to cramps after holding it in that position for an extended period of time.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

@starwolf474:

If you wanna get technical, the Wii U Pro controller is the only one that puts both analogs where your thumbs naturally rest. Why would your right thumb rest in a different spot than the left thumb?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Ive been using the ds4 to play titanfall on my PC, and I love it. BUT, my left hand does hurt after extended play because the left stick is still placed poorly.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@starwolf474 said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

@always_explicit said:

It's not about symmetrical or asymmetrical. It's about where your thumb naturally rests when you hold the controller. On the Xbox controller, your thumb naturally rests over the analog stick whereas on the PS4 controller, your thumb naturally rests over the d-pad. This is great for 2D games where using the d-pad for movement is preferred, but the majority of modern games are 3D where the analog stick is better for movement. On the PS4 controller, you have to stretch your thumb out and downward to use the analog stick, which is not a natural resting position and leads to cramps after holding it in that position for an extended period of time.

This. The PS4 controller is a vast improvement dont get me wrong. The Xbox is superior however.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

All these answers are wrong. It's the 360 followed by the X1.. If you have little girly hands its the PS4.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

All these answers are wrong. It's the 360 followed by the X1.. If you have little girly hands its the PS4.

except the DS4 is bigger than the xbone controller.. It goes 360>DS4>X1 if anything

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the wiiu game pad is the best controller of all time, not only do you get to play using multiple methods ---traditional motion and or touch,

you can play most of all wiiu games and all vc games alll wii games using the screen eliminating the need for the television , for most games, and it includes a sensor bar not sure if any one knew this , thats right when you play wii games on it you wont need that big long wire dangling from the back , you can use the gamepad as a sensor bar,

in close secon is the ps4 controller, the only down side is the triggers again like the ps3 , they suck , and then the battery life, i was trying to watch american flyers on my ps4 i set the controller down its fast forwarding the movie on its own lol so ya , wiiu game pad is the best controller the x1 controller does nothing new for me to consider it being up here

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

360 is still the all around best, but of this gen? DS4. Every change to the Xbox controller was a step back IMO, minus the added rumble and normal D-pad.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I had a wiiu and I gotta say the gamepad is excellent. It is very comfortable and I loved putting the combo list on the screen while playing injustice. I only have time with DS 4 from kiosks, but I like the DS3 better. Seems like they beefed it up, but it just wasn't as comfortable to me. The X1 controller is similar enough to my favorite, the 360 controller, so I say the X1. But 360 is still my favorite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

Don't think controllers get any sexier.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers