Who else is very dissapointed in next gen console power?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

A 6 and 7 year gap from X360/PS3 to PS4/XB1 and 1080p is still not even the standard yet. Not only that, but this may be the smallest gap in console power we've seen in a next gen console. When X360 came out, it was atleast on par with high end PCs. This gen is tottally different and consoles are weaker than ever.

I was dumb enough to actually think by the time PS5 and XBone 2 come out we'd be seeing most games in 4K but I know that I better start lowering my standards.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Diminishing returns obviously. The jumps get smaller and smaller every time. 6th gen seemed like the last big jump to me.

I'm not disappointed though. The PS4 and Xbone have some nice hardware. Give it a couple of years and we'll be seeing some really impressive stuff.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I think the new consoles are on par with some exclusives but AC Black Flag and Ground Zeros are virtually the same looking, minus a few details.

Nothing will replace the first time I played Gears. That was a hella jump at the time.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

At the moment I am... but I'll wait until I see how Batman Arkham Knight looks.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

This is why i am never an early adopter, Developers take a while to get the handle on the hardware, give it about a year and the really impressive stuff will start arriving instead of slightly polished PS3/X360 games

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

maybe if you stopped caring about just the graphics you wouldn't be so disappointed. did you play Last of Us on PS3? still very technically impressive on such an old system. with the right developers, you will get quality games no matter what. I grew up with shit graphics!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

agreed tc.

xbox 360 came out in 2005. no single gpu could keep up until 2006 - partly because of the 360 pioneering unified shaders

ps4 and xb1 come out in 2013, and the fastest single gpu cards available have >2x the TF. even a 7870 has more capacity for floating point operations than the ps4.

i mean, the next genners are hardly weak, but they're hardly 'powerful' either.

seriously. at this timespace, i'd rather buy a 780ti / r9 290x than a next gen console.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Everyone and no one

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

If you have a decent PC, you never look to consoles for graphical power. It's just a way to play the exclusives you would miss out on otherwise. I must say I don't think that the current crop of games are that great looking, but I expect them to look better and better as the generation progresses. Bottom line, though: consoles aren't for graphics. It would be great if they were more powerful of course, but I'm pretty satisfied with the experiences I'm having on Xbox One and PS4 right now, and think things will only improve as their libraries expand.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

If you were expecting a PS4 game that looks better than a PC game, then you were wrong.

That's why it ended up the way it is. When PC graphics advances, PS5 will follow the lead. It's impossible for consoles to overtake, it's all regulated by PC.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I would have paid 699 for a power house of a console. The reason the ps4 is selling so well though is because it's cheap.. sony fans are poor.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I'm not. Unlike a lot of fanboys here I had realistic expectations. I knew coming into this gen that neither Sony nor M$ would build beast consoles. They needed to balance power and price. If they had gone with powerful consoles they would have risked coming out with higher prices which would have hurt them at launch especially during this challenging economic times. Which is why I was sort of baffled when M$ decided to shoot themselves in the foot and include Kinect in the box and thereby increase their price to $499. I thought both of them would go for $399 machines made from easy to get relatively cheap parts, looks like only Sony stuck with that strategy completely, and from the looks of things it paid off handsomely for them.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

The big issue these days is that current graphics cards consume a lot more power and generate a lot more heat than 2005 era graphics cards. Modern cards are a lot bigger and require much more cooling. Consoles are a balancing act and energy efficiency/ heat output is a big concern for Sony/MS, they don't have the luxury of huge towers with massive fans and giant PSU. They want small(ish) and sleek systems which results in compromises

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@Cyberdot said:

If you were expecting a PS4 game that looks better than a PC game, then you were wrong.

That's why it ended up the way it is. When PC graphics advances, PS5 will follow the lead. It's impossible for consoles to overtake, it's all regulated by PC.

I recall there were about a million threads here claiming that the PS4 would rival the graphics of high end PCs before the PS4 launched. Hell, some people still believe it. Everyone wants their console to be the deal of the century, it seems.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I honestly stopped caring about power when it comes to console half way through last generation... This is how I see it:

1. Consoles = Exclusives
  2. PC = Exclusives and Mulitplats
  3. Uncharted 2/3 looked incredible on a system with 512MB RAM

Resolution is really the only issue I have but as long as its 720p I have no problem with it what so ever.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

agreed tc.

xbox 360 came out in 2005. no single gpu could keep up until 2006 - partly because of the 360 pioneering unified shaders

ps4 and xb1 come out in 2013, and the fastest single gpu cards available have >2x the TF. even a 7870 has more capacity for floating point operations than the ps4.

i mean, the next genners are hardly weak, but they're hardly 'powerful' either.

seriously. at this timespace, i'd rather buy a 780ti / r9 290x than a next gen console.

Yea but with diminishing returns, the value of shoving bleeding edge tech in the box decreases every gen. Everytime you double the resolution (screen/texture), the framerate, the polycount etc. the realized benefit is significantly reduced from the previous iteration.... at a certain point it simply becomes having power for the sake of power. I think both consoles were banking on the fact once the platforms mature a few years the realized graphical benefits from stuffing more power in the box would be negligible to most consumers.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm not dissapointed about power, but that online FPSs are the games that still get the most hype.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I wasn't very concerned about it in the first place, and expected the jump in graphics to seem small compared to previous graphical improvements from previous gens.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I've already been spoilt with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (I remember the first time I ever saw Lost Planet on the 360 in action and was gobsmacked), so far nothing has really blown me away. Don't forget though, the last gen consoles are still getting a lot of love, just give it a few more years until everything is strictly made on the next-gen consoles. We'll be looking back and laughing at some of these games we once thought were graphics king.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

seeing infamous, order and quantum break has me really excited to see what the future holds for this gen. graphics are going to get better, i just hope that 1080p 60fps is the standard while maintaining really cutting edge graphics this gen so that next gen after this, we can go 4k+ res

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Have you seen Batman Arkham Knights?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

You can't put in a high end GPU into a console. They're massive expensive behemoths that draw far too much power and produce a ton of heat.

That being said, I'm still quite confident that 1080p will be the standard of this generation.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Right now I'm disappointed in both the PS4 and X1.

We were more or less assured 1080p 60fps would be no problemo for this gen. How could we have been so wrong on both consoles?

The X1 has obvious issues including Kinect, too many worthless features, weaker power, and higher price. The PS4 has about half the worthless features (atleast to me) of the X1. I'm sure the 1% of "Let's Players" will get use out of the "share" button, but where does that leave the other 99% of us?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I can't say because it's only been 3+ months. Also, I don't care enough about the powah!!! For it to get to me.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Consoles are not performance machines. The nature of consoles dictate that no matter how strong they are they will never be performance machines. Let's say the PSBone was able to do 1080p and 60fps on all games? Great right? Sure awesome but what happens in 2015? 2016? 2017? Will it be able to run future games at 1080p and 60fps? Probably not. Not at the graphical level you would want anyway. Cuts will have to be made at some point. So console makers have a decision to make. They could make a new console top of the line with all the bells and whistles that they will have to sell at a loss and will end up being outdated in a few years anyway. Or they could try to make the console strong enough that it is a clear advancement over the previous generation yet not too expensive that they are forced to sell at loss. The devs are going to adjust their games to meet console specs anyway so as long as it's a noticeable step up does it matter? Obviously console makers this generation chose the latter as it was the better business choice. In the past the former was the way they went in hopes of wow'ing people so much they bought their console. This business model proved to be faulty and after the success of the Wii proved it to be impractical.

So you as a consumer have a choice to make. Stick to consoles and live with whatever one of the big 3 gives you that fits their budget. Or build/buy your own PC that has whatever you want in it and fits yourbudget. Me being the educated and knowledgeable consumer I am I chose the to do it my way a while ago and never looked back. I still have consoles and I will eventually get both nextgen consoles when they have exclusives that move me to purchase (Destiny maybe?) but my home for gaming is on PC. I game at the graphical level I want, at the resolution I want, and the fps I want. Not at what Nintendo, Sony, or MS decides is best for me.

Funny thing about all this is that both consoles can game at 1080p just fine. The problem is that if all games were in 1080p they would have to turn down the visuals and they wouldn't look as "next gen." So in order to deliver those "next-gen" visuals that everyone wants on these consoles. cuts to resolution and targeted fps have to be made. It's just like what happens on PC when you have older hardware. You turn things down to get the experience you want. Devs do the exact same thing with console games.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I am not disappointed at all! first xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3 were huge due to going from Standard Definition TVs to HDTVs.

No reason to believe a huge leap would happen again without changing TV Definition.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Cyberdot said:

Except last gen at the beginning when consoles passed up PC at the beginning...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

I think a lot of people are judging the systems on what's available now... I think in a couple of years time, it's going to be a lot better. And as said above, I'd say 1080p will be very common.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

Too early to judge. Wait until you have played Arkham Knights and the Witcher 3!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts

nope...i think MS and sony made the right call to be honest. the PS4 absolutely nails it in the hardware department and the X1 is not too shabby either.

sure they could have been more powerful but that led to serious problems last gen. both the 360 and PS3 and some nasty reliability problems at launch. they would have also been big loss leaders and have had a higher price.

last gen went on too long due to the losses sustained by both companies. 7- 8 years is too long for a gen. the old business model was just stupid and has now been mostly consigned to the bin where it belongs. i think they sell at a small loss but nothing mad. on a side note i am surprised they havent looked at the phone model to sell consoles though. pay 100 quid and a 5 year contract for live/PSn or something like that. that could be a big hit...it certainly gave the 360 a jolt in the later years. that recurring, relaible monthly revenue is gold dust to any company.

anywho more powerful hardware would have been more difficult to cool, would cost more and would increase the cost of development.

as for the 1080P standard nonsense...its never going to happen on consoles. the whole reason it happens on the PC is due to excess capacity. but consoles are a fixed point and developers set their sights for a certain res with a certain framerate given a certain graphical fidelity. its not that the new consoles cant do 1080P (they have done it). its more that MS and sony havent demanded that all games be 1080P. the PS4 and X1 could be 10X more powerful than a top of the range PC today and developers would still target 720P@30FPS to target a certain graphical fidelity if they though it best for their game.

if you demand 1080P and/or 60FPS for every single game then stick to the PC...its the only platform that will ever deliver it because it has excess capacity.

the only way itll happen on consoles is if sony/MS/ninty demand it to pass certification and that simply will not happen.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

what did you expect from MS where they look to pocket $200 for every console sold.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NFJSupreme

@inb4uall said:

@Cyberdot said:

with PC parts that were coming out in the coming months. I think that is the point he is making. Ultimately the pace of graphical development is being determined by PC. Consoles are like bookmarks marking when a big shift happens.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

idk where you going with this thread TC, all my PS4 games are running 1080p

cant say the same for MS since they are in for the money for every console sold.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

In order

1) PS4 = Duh , decent max

2) X1 = lol

3) Wii U = you dont want me to comment

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ZoomZoom2490 said:

idk where you going with this thread TC, all my PS4 games are running 1080p

cant say the same for MS since they are in for the money for every console sold.

I guess that depends what PS4 games you own

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

Console companies had to learn the hard way in that you cant take large losses in revenue and profit for years to supply a system using the best tech available which gets obsolete and have hardware issues from cutting corners within a year or so later. The Big two decided to create systems within a budget that allow them not to lose money from the start. Because of this you cant throw in hardware that surpasses a set point... diminishing returns

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yes and no, On the processor front and memory amount no, on the gpu front with the 360 yes, it was the first unified shader based gpu on the market. The PS3 did not contribute anything besides Bluray standard, Same time frame as PS3,Pc's leap frogged both consoles by multiple factors. This new generation they are nearly two years behind from the start.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's really where I thought it was going to be. PCs have set a graphical standard impossible for an affordable game console to hit. It was an unrealistic expectation by anybody to believe that the PS4 and Xbox One could hit levels of even a mid range PC when a mid range PC costs $300-400 more than an Xbox One.

The thing is people aren't just wanting 1080p, they also want some very detailed environments. Games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse are doing the same rendering techniques that are being done on the best looking PC games. It's not just a resolution thing, it's also how many polygons they are trying to push and how much shading and effects they are applying. They were never going to get close to what PCs could do because of this.

If the PS4 and Xbox One games dropped the amount of polygons and rendering they are doing they could easily hit 1080p. Games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse have just as much, if not more detail per scene than the best PC games. The only problem is their GPUs just can't handle that rendering at 1080p and 60fps. However that's what they are trying to achieve because that's what people expect.

The common gamer doesn't count pixels. They just want their games to look like they were worth the upgrade. Games like Ryse and Killzone Shadow Fall do have that generational leap over the Xbox 360 and PS3 that people will notice. It's just here on the internet the PC sets the standards. It's an uphill battle the consoles never had a chance with.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Acez626
Member since 2006 • 690 Posts

@Wasdie said:

It's really where I thought it was going to be. PCs have set a graphical standard impossible for an affordable game console to hit. It was an unrealistic expectation by anybody to believe that the PS4 and Xbox One could hit levels of even a mid range PC when a mid range PC costs $300-400 more than an Xbox One.

The thing is people aren't just wanting 1080p, they also want some very detailed environments. Games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse are doing the same rendering techniques that are being done on the best looking PC games. It's not just a resolution thing, it's also how many polygons they are trying to push and how much shading and effects they are applying. They were never going to get close to what PCs could do because of this.

If the PS4 and Xbox One games dropped the amount of polygons and rendering they are doing they could easily hit 1080p. Games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse have just as much, if not more actual detail per scene than the best PC games. The only problem is their GPUs just can't handle that rendering at 1080p and 60fps. However that's what they are trying to achieve because that's what people expect.

The common gamer doesn't count pixels. They just want their games to look like they were worth the upgrade. Games like Ryse and Killzone Shadow Fall do have that generational leap over the Xbox 360 and PS3 that people will notice. It's just here on the internet the PC sets the standards. It's an uphill battle the consoles never had a chance with.

Finally bro, you post something I can agree with lmao

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NFJSupreme

@Wasdie said:

If the PS4 and Xbox One games dropped the amount of polygons and rendering they are doing they could easily hit 1080p. Games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse have just as much, if not more actual detail per scene than the best PC games. The only problem is their GPUs just can't handle that rendering at 1080p and 60fps. However that's what they are trying to achieve because that's what people expect.

The internet has made consolites believe that consoles are performance machines when in reality consoles have never been about performance and never will be. They see PC players brag about 1080p and 60fps (oh is it GLORIOUS but maybe we shouldn't brag so much?) and think that well obviously this is the next step. What they never realized (believe you me I've tried to tell them) that these are all performance benchmarksnot graphical settings and while they make a difference ( people wouldn't pay to have them) they are not what ultimately makes a game look good and not what consoles focus on. Does something look better in 1080p than 900p yes. But does 900p look terrible? No. Is 1080p worth crippling fidelity or performance? No. Remember consolites that on consoles the softwareget the most out of the hardware. This means devs might have to cut here and add there to do so. The software is pushing the hardware on console. On PC it's the hardware that gets the most out of the software. This means it's the hardwarethat is pushing the games on PC especially on the high end.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Consoles are never going to match pc on anything and it's only going to get worse. That said consoles have a some good exclusives. I got a ps3/4 for the exclusives not for anything else. By the time the ps5 comes out even cell phones will have similar or more power. Naughty Gods is reason enough to own a ps4 the rest is icing on the cake.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I'm a little surprised that there aren't any next gen graphics on X1 and it still doesn't fly through the load screens.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

The internet has made consolites believe that consoles are performance machines when in reality consoles have never been about performance and never will be.

That wasn't the internet. That was Sony's and MS' marketing. And consolites fell for it , hook, line and sinker.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Most console fans have never cared about matching or passing PC in graphics, despite a small number of fanboys.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

For today's standards, the hardware is pretty meh. And seeing the mobile market getting all the R&D possible to create powerful and energy efficient mobile chips, they'll surpass these consoles in like 2-3 years.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

They're good enough to me. At least the PS4 is. Its GPU is a step up from my GTX 560 Ti.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

So far my PS4 has been quite disappointing graphically.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NFJSupreme

One more thing. Console gamers, especially those here, should look at 1080p and 60fps as a sign of either a rushed poorly optimized game or a game that isn't really pushing the hardware in any meaningful way. The REAL console devs who make magic happen on static hardware are going to use every trick in the book to wow you and they should. This means lowering the resolution. Capping the framerate at 30fps. Tweaking draw distances. This is why uncharted games looked so good on PS3 and could still win best graphics awards even though they weren't anywhere near technical marvels (unless you consider that they got it to run on the ps3). I made a thread about this like a week ago or something and people didn't want to take it seriously so I'll just say it again. The best looking games on either console are not in 1080p and 60fps. Some people here need to rap their head around that for a second cause it's not sinking in. As a console gamer you don't want 1080p and 60fps unless you want gimped games or $700 consoles.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

I'm not, its all you res and pixel counters that are ruining gaming. The games out know for both consoles are awesome.