Which was the worse gaffe.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Which was the worse gaffe. (78 votes)

"We have a console for them, it's called the XBox360" 44%
"You will want to work two jobs to get one (PS3)." 56%

Both quotes ended up in the individuals eithe retiring or being kindly asked to leave their respective companies behind closed doors. Both spear-headed calamitous launch years. One has been quoted for years and years and the other will likely be quoted for years to years.

It's time to put it to a vote. Which one was the dumbest quote of all time, System Wars?

The gavel drops Monday evening.

• 
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

"599 US dollars"

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Sony was the best with the Ps3. Crazy Ken just saying the dumbest shit.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Oh the whole nuclear submarine argument. I dunno that was a pretty dismal argument.

The ps3 quote is basically saying you won't be able to afford it with your average job... That seems to be worst.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

working 2 jobs to get a ps3 isnt a bad suggestion, but recommending someone not buy ur new console and instead stick to the old one is fukin stupid. don mattrix is my guy though, u cant **** with that goofy looking sob

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Both were sucky, but value wise I felt the more recent Xbone gaffe was worse for me. "We have a console for them, it's called the XBox360". The whole DRM fiasco + $500 Xbone was awful as a consumer thinking about how purchases/my collecting was going to play out over the next six years.

I bought both launch consoles ($500 Xbone and $600 PS3) at full price and considering what I got with each launch, I got more value out of the PS3 since stand alone Blu-Ray players were $1000 at the time. On top of that, the PS3 was a high quality Blu-Ray player over many of the standalone players. It was really a great value to folks like me, but we were certainly in a minority of buyers in those circumstances. I also understood I was in a different class of launch buyers though. Not everyone was in my situation, as I was owning HDTVs since PS2/Xbox/GC generation and I was hungry for higher PQ over DVD at that time to take advantage of my HDTVs. The year before the 2006 PS3 launch, I spent $1000 at the 2005 Xbox 360 launch. I spent $400 on the 360 alone and after buying some games, Xbox Live, play and charge kits, etc it all added up. The PS3 didn't have Play and charge kits or online fees so I actually saved money between both launches. That afforded me the ability to also buy the Wii at launch 2006 as well.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

"You will want 2 jobs" isn't what Ken said, that's been incredibly misquoted throughout the past 8 years. I still don't see anything wrong with the real quote. Much dumber things were said by Sony at that time.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

"599 US dollars"

Was not that high price consider Bluray players was very expensive at the time of Ps3 release

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wolverine4262

@aroxx_ab said:

Was not that high price consider Bluray players was very expensive at the time of Ps3 release

Uh, it was pretty damn high considering the 360, its actual competition, was only $399.

Friggin cows.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Sony hasn't been the same since E3 2006

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Both comments came from the mouths of fools... They were equally gross. "599$" was the worst I've heard though. It castrated their product for years to come.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aroxx_ab

@wolverine4262 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Uh, it was pretty damn high considering the 360, its actual competition, was only $399.

Friggin cows.

Ps3 was not only a gaming device, it was a movie player too. 360 had been expensive too if it had built in bluray player but they went with the other HD format that flopped, and it was not built in.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Microsoft one was really bad. What's even worse is Solidty's useless drawn out thought process.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak  Online

@aroxx_ab: Mandatory, long loadings installs were pretty awesome, yeah. Go bluray.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
@aroxx_ab said:

Ps3 was not only a gaming device, it was a movie player too. 360 had been expensive too if it had built in bluray player but they went with the other HD format that flopped, and it was not built in.

Mhmm, Sony fucked up.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aroxx_ab

@freedomfreak said:

@aroxx_ab: Mandatory, long loadings installs were pretty awesome, yeah. Go bluray.

Better than swapping disc for sure

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts
Loading Video...

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolverine4262
@aroxx_ab said:

Yeah, every fucking game on my 360 is multiple discs. Huge hassle.

Oh, wait....

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak  Online
@aroxx_ab said:

Oh yeah. 3-4 minute installs for every chapter in MGS4 was Godlike.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy

millerlight89 said:

Microsoft one was really bad. What's even worse is SolidTy's useless drawn out thought process.

Negativity and flaming again from the likes of miller over a nothing post of mine. *yawn*. I suppose I'll respond in kind. The moronic half-thoughts of 'miller's dim-light' continue to shine in SW with useless ad hominems. The Contributions of a SW Zero. I still remember your pitiful, spam troll posts over the years and it's a shame your self esteem has hit such a low point in 2014 as you once again have reverted to your old, sad tactics after you seemingly had a psychological breakdown and breakthrough a long while back. I won't link your SW meltdown/ psyche breakdown to save you some dignity, but I will remind you to move on from the torch you carry for me.

My most recent favorite miller ownage from nine months ago.

Hmmmm...Argumentum ad hominem. Perhaps if I was a moron, I too would rely on them as much as you do after so long. I actually am amused that correcting a user with information and three hyper-links no less has absolutely offended you. Information overload trying to squeeze a 40 ouncer of information in your 12 ounce beer-can mind. Millerlight, indeed.

I can do better, because I think that's what you respect mouthbreather.

Millerlight...still an asshole, scummy, and worthless GS user with a talent for time wasting. Forums are all about time wasting, so with your usual shit posts, you should be commended on how pathetically dumb your tiny, useless posts come off over the years. When it comes to time wasting with a tinge of 'tude and tons of lurking, millerlight is your man.

I can see the joy of ad hominems. You don't have to contribute anything, just judge other users while sticking a thumb up your ass. Seems fun, enjoy.

Merry Xmas, asshole. Don't forget to hang your dingle berry flavored mistletoe in the barn so you can kiss your girlfriend-goat without remorse. I know that was a point of contention last year for you, if I recall.

It doesn't have to be this way. You could stop being a dick to users or at least cease from quoting me since my posts seem to bother you so much.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Ken Kutaragi had this to say about Sony's goal for the PS3: "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else." In other words: Get a job! Get two jobs, ya lazy bums!

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolverine4262
@millerlight89 said:

What's even worse is Solidty's useless drawn out thought process.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

The funniest one was when Jack was in an interview and told them that you couldn't find a PS3 anywhere after the holidays. He would pay $1000 to anyone who could. Then some podcast guys called up Gamestop & Walmart and both stores had plenty. They were trying to contact Jack.

Ebayers were returning PS3 to Gamestop, Toys R Us, Walmart and Best buy because they could sell the system on Ebay for a profit. Gamestop was so overstocked they had to put signs on their asking gamers to come in and buy a PS3. lol!! That never happened with the XB1 or Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

'You will work two jobs' is not a real quote, and even if it were, it's not even the worst thing Sony said at the time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

You will work 2 jobs to get a PS3, was pretty fucking stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

To me, the worst gaffe was the 360 one. It was so bad that it literally made me spit coffee all over my new mechanical keyboard. Thanks Mattrick...

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@charizard1605: I was thinking about that... Considering the OP I'm not surprised that he wouldn't use the worst quote for playstation.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy
wolverine4262 said:
millerlight89 said:

Microsoft one was really bad. What's even worse is SolidTy's useless drawn out thought process.

I appreciate the patronage once again, even if under the guise of trolling. It's an ego feeder and I've been down lately, especially when my well-thought out posts are depressingly ignored. Sometimes I feel I'm losing my Midas Touch in SW, but your long term support is valued. Although you didn't write a single word (which I completely respect as typing down words can be tough en devour with your limited educational backround), I appreciate the sentiment reflected in your chosen gif. Noice indeed.

I felt you might have given up with the "love/trolling" since yesterday's love-troll post you sent in that other thread. You see, that wasn't enough adoration for me, but you came through in a huge way once again.

Thanks again for helping keep my SW character relevant. :) As you know, I'd prefer this reaction over being ignored. I'm much too important to be ignored as we both know. You may be used to being ignored after all these years, but I've grown accustomed to quotes from from my fellow subjects and proles like yourself. SW Royalty commands appropriate reactions and as such this wonderful, Hand-Picked by yours truly(!), Tom and Jerry gif representing how I feel with your support is presented to you to commemorate this spectacular occasion.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i think is safe to say they are equally terrible.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

working 2 jobs to get a ps3 isnt a bad suggestion,

really?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wolverine4262

I see a gif is worth a thousand bolded words

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#32 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Guess I'll go with the first one about Xbox, but it was hard for me to decide. I mean, those are both hilariously stupid statements. There are trolls here that make smarter remarks than that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidTy

@SolidTy said:
wolverine4262 said:

I appreciate the patronage once again, even if under the guise of trolling. It's an ego feeder and I've been down lately, especially when my well-thought out posts are depressingly ignored. Sometimes I feel I'm losing my Midas Touch in SW, but your long term support is valued. Although you didn't write a single word (which I completely respect as typing down words can be tough en devour with your limited educational backround), I appreciate the sentiment reflected in your chosen gif. Noice indeed.

I felt you might have given up with the "love/trolling" since yesterday's love-troll post you sent in that other thread. You see, that wasn't enough adoration for me, but you came through in a huge way once again.

Thanks again for helping keep my SW character relevant. :) As you know, I'd prefer this reaction over being ignored. I'm much too important to be ignored as we both know. You may be used to being ignored after all these years, but I've grown accustomed to quotes from from my fellow subjects and proles like yourself. SW Royalty commands appropriate reactions and as such this wonderful, Hand-Picked by yours truly(!), Tom and Jerry gif representing how I feel with your support is presented to you to commemorate this spectacular occasion.

wolverine4262 said:

I see a gif is worth a thousand bolded words

Many thanks once again.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Telling someone to get two jobs so they can afford your product,is just communism.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

surprised the Xbox choice is winning considering this forum has been heavily anti cow lately

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

599 US dollars

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

"599 US dollars"

I can't count that because you HAVE to give a price for something.. That's not really quotable or a bad gaffe, per se. Also, there was a $499 version. @TheEroica

A Gaffe is something that had to be voluntarily messed up to say.. Like, they could have put this stuff some other way, but they didn't.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ghostwarrior786

@R3FURBISHED said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

really?

in the sense that sony is still telling people to buy ps3. don mattrix was on the other hand was saying well dont buy x1

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Sony's.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

really?

in the sense that sony is still telling people to buy ps3. don mattrix was on the other hand was saying well dont buy x1

My thing is, I don't understand how people react to these sort of things the way they do -- if it doesn't concern you directly, than why let it bother you?

Don Mattrick was merely saying that the Xbox One was designed to be online all the time while the Xbox 360 can be fully utilized when offline. I'd rather a company stand by their designs than to justify a price by telling the consumer they should work more to afford it.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@R3FURBISHED said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

really?

My thing is, I don't understand how people react to these sort of things the way they do -- if it doesn't concern you directly, than why let it bother you?

Don Mattrick was merely saying that the Xbox One was designed to be online all the time while the Xbox 360 can be fully utilized when offline. I'd rather a company stand by their designs than to justify a price by telling the consumer they should work more to afford it.

well mattrix literally responded to the question 'what do u say to those who dont have internet' with 'well we have a product its called x360'<<wtf is that all about

online always console would have been a horrible idea. for example, because i downloaded so much (bf4 + nfs rivals) my internet provider has reduced my bandwidth for the month and made by internet fukin shit. if this console was always online i wouldnt have a seamless experience because it would always disconnect and many people are on the same boat so does that mean i should have just stuck to x360? don mattrix is marketing suicide, he literally single handily destroyed all the good work ms done with x360 in terms of getting marketshare

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Telling someone to get two jobs so they can afford your product,is just communism.

Tell me how your sig is so large.

Tell me now.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@papatrop said:

Sony hasn't been the same since E3 2006

since when have you been a furry

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Zassimick said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Tell me how your sig is so large.

Tell me now.

I didnt make it that large. It just kinda showed up that way. I didn't do anything different than just copying the URL and pasting it.

Phil is larger than life though, so that might have something to do with it.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

well mattrix literally responded to the question 'what do u say to those who dont have internet' with 'well we have a product its called x360'<<wtf is that all about

online always console would have been a horrible idea. for example, because i downloaded so much (bf4 + nfs rivals) my internet provider has reduced my bandwidth for the month and made by internet fukin shit. if this console was always online i wouldnt have a seamless experience because it would always disconnect and many people are on the same boat so does that mean i should have just stuck to x360? don mattrix is marketing suicide, he literally single handily destroyed all the good work ms done with x360 in terms of getting marketshare

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Keighley also ask about members of the Armed Forces who don't have internet abroad when he asked that?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#47 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Zassimick said:

Tell me how your sig is so large. Tell me now.

I didnt make it that large. It just kinda showed up that way. I didn't do anything different than just copying the URL and pasting it. Phil is larger than life though, so that might have something to do with it.

I'm jelly, let me tell you.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

Microsoft one was really bad. What's even worse is Solidty's useless drawn out thought process.

lol

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidTy

GreySeal9 said:

millerlight89 said:

SolidTy

lol

lol @ U

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Keighley also ask about members of the Armed Forces who don't have internet abroad when he asked that?

That was a fucking stupid question to be honest ;) "But can the troops play abroad?? Are you unamerican???"