Which videogame has the best story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

In my opinion it is Final Fantasy VII with God of War following close.

#2 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

TWD

#3 Posted by themajormayor (25698 posts) -
Portal 2
#4 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Forza

#5 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Portal 2themajormayor

Serious or trolling? You're not the first one to say this, but I never played Portal 2, only the first one and the story... well there was almost no story at all.

#6 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Persona 3
#7 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
God of War? Are you kidding?
#8 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

TWD

1080pOnly

#9 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
In terms of making me not want to put the game down 'til it's over, it has to be Ghost Trick. The Ace Attorney series isn't that far behind, either. Shu Takumi sure knows how to write some good game plots.
#10 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Halo Reach

#11 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

God of War? Are you kidding? BPoole96

I know the story is nothing more than a brute seeking revenge, but I got myself really connected to the characters.

#12 Posted by themajormayor (25698 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Portal 2Ricardomz

Serious or trolling? You're not the first one to say this, but I never played Portal 2, only the first one and the story... well there was almost no story at all.

Serious. I think the first one is great as well. It's very simple, almost minimalistic. Does that mean it can't be great? The second one is less simple though.
#13 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

TWD

Riadon2

/thread
#14 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

the walking dead, mafia, to the moon, kotor, baldur's gate series

#15 Posted by Gue1 (9498 posts) -

God of War? Are you kidding? BPoole96

you're the one that is always kidding yourself. And we know you hate Sony but the GOW series has a pretty good premise and story, now deal with it.

#16 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4760 posts) -

I wont proclaim they're the best, but FFVI and Chrono Trigger are the two I enjoyed the most.

Also the MGS series if you don't count anything that came after MGS3.

Again, not the best by any stretch, but they were my favorites.

#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4760 posts) -

CaseyWegner

To the Moon was outstanding.

#18 Posted by V3rciS (2212 posts) -

Pro evlution soccer..

okay seriously now, I think Mass effect franchise was pretty good
and SW: kotor also kinda awesome

#19 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

ConanTheStoner

too bad most people don't know anything about it.

#20 Posted by Gue1 (9498 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]God of War? Are you kidding? Ricardomz

I know the story is nothing more than a brute seeking revenge, but I got myself really connected to the characters.

TC, don't bend too much to these bunch of tools on this board (especially not to BPoole96, he is full of shenanigans) because then your opinion will make no sense. I mean, what you just said right there makes no sense.

#21 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]God of War? Are you kidding? Gue1

TC, don't bend too much to these bunch of tools on this board (especially not to BPoole96, he is full of shenanigans) because then your opinion will make no sense. I mean, what you just said right there makes no sense.

Stop being a Playstation fanboy.

#22 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

LOL playing videogame stories :lol: LOL

#23 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

The Walking Dead.

#24 Posted by bobbetybob (19172 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Portal 2Ricardomz

It's not so much the story as it the dialogue, it's one of the few games that are genuinely funny, it has a few moments that feel like it's trying too hard but for the most part it's well done.

I'll add Max Payne 3 to the above category, the character dialogue in that game is brilliant, especially all of Max's little quips.

As for overall story, The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption both rank highly for me, both for their endings and TWD for the rest of the emotional moments, anytime someone in your group died it felt a million times more important than some faceless pleb being shot in the head in most other games.

#25 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4760 posts) -

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

too bad most people don't know anything about it.

Yeah, unfortunately.

#26 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

I don't see the trolling, God of War franchise isn't exactly well known for its story... it's decent in the first game, but in the sequels, it just plain sucks, it's all about "Waaaaahh, Gods must dieeeee!"...

#27 Posted by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -
Mafia & Mafia 2 both had great stories.
#28 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Ricardomz

Stop being a Playstation fanboy.

:lol:

On topic:

Final Fantasy 10,9,8,7

MGS series

Red Dead Redemption

Mass Effect series

#29 Posted by donalbane (16201 posts) -
Red Dead Redemption for depth, Mass Effect trilogy for breadth.
#30 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

Halo Reach

platniumgamer

Really?

#31 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5147 posts) -

I don't see the trolling

Rocker6

You dont share the same illness as him thats why.

#32 Posted by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

Planescape: Torment

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned

#33 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]God of War? Are you kidding? Ricardomz

It just got too predictable. I enjoyed the story of revenge in GoW1 but after that it just became a cliche. It was like "oh no! Ares betrayed me! I must side with the gods to get my revenge!" Then it was "Oh no! The gods have betrayed me! I must side with the titans to get my revenge!" and finally "oh no! The titans betrayed me so I must get my revenge!" And Kratos basically kills everyone that he encounters in the game aside from the women that he bangs along the way. They are enjoyable games but the story didnt do much for me since it got so predictable.
#34 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

pl4yer_f0und

Can't believe I still haven't played it...

#35 Posted by freedomfreak (39128 posts) -
Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.
#36 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

pl4yer_f0und

that one slipped my mind. there are a lot of good ones out there but it's hard to remember them all.

#37 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.freedomfreak

I could write a short story about me walking around the beach for two hours, I'm sure you'd end up liking it more! :P

#38 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

you're the one that is always kidding yourself. And we know you hate Sony but the GOW series has a pretty good premise and story, now deal with it.

Yes, I hate Sony and God of War so much that I have a PS3 and platinum trophies in God of War 1, 2, and 3 and proceeded to play through each of them on their hardest difficulties. Even my GS avatar at one point was Kratos, just because I hate that series so much
#39 Posted by freedomfreak (39128 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.Rocker6

I could write a short story about me walking around the beach for two hours, I'm sure you'd end up liking it more! :P

Only if you were naked.
#40 Posted by DaBrainz (7628 posts) -
Ms. Pacman
#41 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.freedomfreak

Only if you were naked.

I wouldn't have it any other way... :oops:

#42 Posted by freedomfreak (39128 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Only if you were naked.

Rocker>Journey :oops:
#43 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Only if you were naked.freedomfreak

Rocker>Journey :oops:

Indeed...

#44 Posted by biggest_loser (24029 posts) -
Recently, The Walking Dead. Really believable characters, deep conflict, actual subtext in the story. I was so impressed. The writing in Portal 2 is really sophisticated. I was surprised how much they developed Glados's character.
#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14942 posts) -
Persona 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles I can still play for the story.
#46 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Dark Souls

Spec Ops The Line

The Witcher Series

Silent Hill 2

Shadow of the Colossus

#47 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

[QUOTE="platniumgamer"]

Halo Reach

WTA2k5

Really?

No, not really.

#48 Posted by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -
For me... The Walking Dead, To the Moon, Dear Esther, Max Payne 2, and Spec Ops: The Line.
#49 Posted by Sushiglutton (5225 posts) -
Max Payne 2, Alan Wake, Sam Lake is awesome :D!
#50 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.freedomfreak

Only if you were naked.

Suddenly I'm more interested in Journey than I was initially.