Which next gen console will be first to have an AAAE game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) 10 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Which next gen console will be first to have an AAAE game? (65 votes)

Xbox One 12%
PS4 35%
Wii U 46%

hmm, I'll go with PS4 (Infamous: Second Son)

#1 Posted by lamprey263 (23104 posts) -

Reviewers are very forgiving of PS titles, I can see Knack getting a 9 even if it sucks as awful as Tijuana donkey show.

#2 Posted by kuu2 (6962 posts) -

Considering MSoft has had one every generation at launch I am expecting this launch won't be any different.

#3 Edited by glez13 (8664 posts) -

PS4. It releases first and reviewers tend to fall for the next gen hype.

#4 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Reviewers are very forgiving of PS titles, I can see Knack getting a 9 even if it sucks as awful as Tijuana donkey show.

Maybe if the 360 had new big exclusive titles we would know if they are forgiving of Xbox titles

#5 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

Pretty tough prediction actually. Forza has a chance, Ryse may shock. PS4 does have KZ:SF, and Infamous coming. And WiiU has Super Mario 3d World coming.

Lets also not forget 3DS has Zelda coming also.

And technically I know Vita has AAA's but does it have any AAAE's.

But for home consoles I think Mario has the best chance. Forza may do it but I don't know, KZ has a pretty good shot, and Ryse is a long shot.

#6 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

What on earth does AAAE mean?

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (29487 posts) -

9.0 score on GS,and system exclusive

#8 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

Scores a 9 and is exclusive to one console only.

A=7

AA=8

AAA=9

AAAA=10

E=Exclusive

#9 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Does it matter anymore?

GS gives multiple reviews now. You can call GTAV AAA or AA, BioShock Infinite AAA or whatever that 4 was. For all we know someone could re-review Nintendoland and give it a 10 and say it's "from a parent's perspective" or some crap.

#10 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Um, the 'AAA' designation normally refers to the budget of a game, not the review score from a single reviewer (or even aggregated scores). In that case, with the current line ups as I guess, I'd say the Wii U with Mario 3D World.

#11 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

Um, the 'AAA' designation normally refers to the budget of a game, not the review score from a single reviewer (or even aggregated scores). In that case, with the current line ups as I guess, I'd say the Wii U with Mario 3D World.

In the Industry sure, but on SW it's about scores which is how users try and claim ownage which has been reduced because of multiple review system. Though I'm pretty sure the original first review is the official one, so GTA and Bioshock Infinite are still AAA.

#12 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

They're also massive budget titles anyway so were both always AAA to begin with, and not exclusives or even on 'next gen' platforms. So I'm kind of struggling to see their relevance

#13 Edited by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Note that my post above is in no way is meant to belittle Nintendoland. That game is super fun!

#14 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

They're also massive budget titles anyway so were both always AAA to begin with, and not exclusives or even on 'next gen' platforms. So I'm kind of struggling to see their relevance

That part was more in response to NeonNinja's post about the second opinion reviews.

#15 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Ah ok, that makes more sense then.

edit: Though I still think it's weird to replace the 7, 8, 9 or 10 scores with A's. Surely it's just easier to write the score instead.

#16 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

Ah ok, that makes more sense then.

edit: Though I still think it's weird to replace the 7, 8, 9 or 10 scores with A's. Surely it's just easier to write the score instead.

It made more sense when it was on a .1 scale so you could just lump 9.1's, 9.6's and 9.9's together with just AAA. Now it's definitely easier to just say 9's etc.

#17 Posted by Daious (1113 posts) -

Yeah, in the real world AAA means budget/profile.

#18 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Does it matter anymore?

GS gives multiple reviews now. You can call GTAV AAA or AA, BioShock Infinite AAA or whatever that 4 was. For all we know someone could re-review Nintendoland and give it a 10 and say it's "from a parent's perspective" or some crap.

Yea I'm not really a fan of the multiple review idea. It's like they're saying we'll give you a good score the first time to please the industry, but then we'll show you the real review next time (or vice versa).

#19 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (3967 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@NeonNinja said:

Does it matter anymore?

Yea I'm not really a fan of the multiple review idea. It's like they're saying we'll give you a good score the first time to please the industry, but then we'll show you the real review next time (or vice versa).

I would enjoy it if the original review was less of an opinion and more of an analysis of what the game sets out to try and do, and how well it accomplishes the task, where technical and near objective (can never be completely) aspects are more harshly graded; for example ps3 Skyrim.

Then the secondary reviews could be more or less the editors personal opinions and what they personally felt about the game. I think it is a great idea to give pessimists and fathers and fanboys a voice.

#20 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@NeonNinja said:

Does it matter anymore?

I would enjoy it if the original review was less of an opinion and more of an analysis of what the game sets out to try and do, and how well it accomplishes the task, where technical and near objective (can never be completely) aspects are more harshly graded; for example ps3 Skyrim.

Then the secondary reviews could be more or less the editors personal opinions and what they personally felt about the game. I think it is a great idea to give pessimists and fathers and fanboys a voice.

Not a problem whatsoever to have multiple reviews. It just seems to negate the SW metagame.

#21 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@mrintro said:

@NeonNinja said:

Does it matter anymore?

Not a problem whatsoever to have multiple reviews. It just seems to negate the SW metagame.

I wouldn't mind multiple reviews if they came out at the same time. But doing it later just doesn't make sense to me. It just seems pointless considering I want to know if I should get the game at the present moment.

#22 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Turns out not everyone ultimately decides if they're going to buy every game on their release day.

#23 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

All three will probably grab an AAAE. Wii U with Super Mario 3D World, PS4 with Resogun, and XONE with Forza 5.

#24 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3464 posts) -

I can see it being the Wii U.

#25 Edited by Desmonic (13387 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

All three will probably grab an AAAE. Wii U with Super Mario 3D World, PS4 with Resogun, and XONE with Forza 5.

I'd replace Resogun with KZ or inFamous, but the others seem like a sure bet. DR3 for the X1 too if it ends up being all they are promising it to be.

#26 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I'm thinking X1 and PS4 will both have a AAAE at launch.

#27 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

X1 with Forza.

#28 Posted by guard12 (1657 posts) -

I guess I would go with the Wii U with Super Mario 3D World but I honestly have no idea.

#29 Edited by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -

Where? I bet the Wii U already has several depending on the website.

I'll also LOL when the new Infamous gets a 7 from McShea.

#30 Posted by Zidaneski (8451 posts) -

Hard to tell with Gamespot if thats what we're going by. I think the wii U will be the first to get a 9 since Wii U games are pretty much only gameplay so even if there is two reviews they would be pretty close since you can't really get offended by content material.

#31 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Does it matter anymore?

This fucks the metagame that was there because Ryse or Knack could have 2 or more review of 10, or Knack could have 3 10's and Ryse could have 2 10's and a 9, and people would argue knack got more AAAAE than ryse's AAAAE which is probably what this gen will be about.

#32 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Also I did not realize the Wii U has not had an AAAE yet. Of course there's no .5's to sneak by anymore.

#33 Edited by FPSfan1985 (2008 posts) -

X1 with forza is my guess. The games always review extremely well.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29487 posts) -

Also I did not realize the Wii U has not had an AAAE yet. Of course there's no .5's to sneak by anymore.

After a year,PS3 only had Ninja Gaiden Sigma as AAAE.

360 had PDZ at launch and that's about it for it's first year.

#35 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

NGS isn't an AAAE.

Secondly, after a year, the Xbox 360 had Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, and Gears of War.

#36 Posted by MonsieurX (29487 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@Jakandsigz said:

NGS isn't an AAAE.

Secondly, after a year, the Xbox 360 had Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, and Gears of War.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ninja-gaiden-sigma-review/1900-6173475/

Got ported recently to the Vita,so it should count back then.

Gears Of Wars was launched on PC a year after it was on 360

And GRAW wasn't really exclusive... http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ninja-gaiden-sigma-review/1900-6173475/

#37 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Jakandsigz said:

NGS isn't an AAAE.

And GRAW wasn't really exclusive... http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ninja-gaiden-sigma-review/1900-6173475/

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a remake; remakes are not exclusive.

It remained an exclusive up until July of 2007; that means it was exclusive during the first year the Xbox 360 was out of the market.

GRAW is an exclusive.

#38 Posted by g0ddyX (3905 posts) -

All except Wii:U, even though its been out for a Year.

ie. A multiplatform title will get AAAE

#39 Edited by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

Wii U, Smash Bros mid next year. I don't think Killzone Shadowfall will score that high. TitanFall will get 9's and 10's however that's not X1 exclusive.

#40 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Based off overall reviews? Smash Bros with 95 Metacritic and Mario Kart 8 with 90... I'm predicting Infamous and Killzone will score around the 80's, they were never that special.

#41 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

Does it matter anymore?

The multiple reviews GS started doing is basically confirmation we shouldn't give a crap what they think about games anymore.

#42 Edited by casharmy (6822 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Jakandsigz said:

NGS isn't an AAAE.

It remained an exclusive up until July of 2007; that means it was exclusive during the first year the Xbox 360 was out of the market.

GRAW is an exclusive.

None of the rules you made up matter anymore buddy. Stop acting like the fanboy parameters you set up while you were a mod have any significance.

No one said that remakes don't count, especially if they have original material and content. This was the same BS you tried to pull with MLB 2009 on PS3 and PS2 trying to claim it wasn't the same except gamespot only scored the PS3 version and that is the version that received AAAE yet you say it wasn't exclusive because of the PS2 version. The same logic applies to GRAW.

You are no spokesman for rules around here so don't tell people what does or doesn't count based on fanboy BS you made up. MLB 09 and NGS are both exclusive according to your logic of not being the same game...or none of them are exclusive. The idea about having more or less AAAEs for either platform does not bother me, your idiotic hypocritical double standards and inconsistent reasoning is what I am addressing.

#43 Edited by bezza2011 (2380 posts) -

@FPSfan1985 said:

X1 with forza is my guess. The games always review extremely well.

Never the game is a backwards step from what forza was, the game doesn't even have different weather or even day/night races, i mean this is ment to be a step up not just lets throw a racing game which hits 1080p 60fps but will just leave out weather, without that it turns into a bog standard racer.

plus were not sure if 1080p 60fps will be online either we just no that it's that for single player.

#44 Edited by Heil68 (43433 posts) -

I'm guessing WiiU with Super Mario 3D.

#45 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

ouch, only 15% for Xbox One

#46 Posted by bbkkristian (14940 posts) -

Probably some overrated PS4 game.

#47 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

it will be either Killzone or Forza

#48 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

@casharmy said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

GRAW is an exclusive.

None of the rules you made up matter anymore buddy. Stop acting like the fanboy parameters you set up while you were a mod have any significance.

No one said that remakes don't count, especially if they have original material and content. This was the same BS you tried to pull with MLB 2009 on PS3 and PS2 trying to claim it wasn't the same except gamespot only scored the PS3 version and that is the version that received AAAE yet you say it wasn't exclusive because of the PS2 version. The same logic applies to GRAW.

You are no spokesman for rules around here so don't tell people what does or doesn't count based on fanboy BS you made up. MLB 09 and NGS are both exclusive according to your logic of not being the same game...or none of them are exclusive. The idea about having more or less AAAEs for either platform does not bother me, your idiotic hypocritical double standards and inconsistent reasoning is what I am addressing.

Which rules were made up by me? And how are those "made up" rules (whatever they are) set in fanboy parameters? And when (and where) were they set up?

Remakes do not count as exclusives. I'm not sure how it's the same "BS" that was pulled with MLB The Show 09, but Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a remake of Ninja Gaiden Black hence why it's not exclusive. Exclusives can only be found on one platform; generation does not define an exclusive -- Halo Anniversary is not an exclusive even though the previous version of the game was "last-gen."

I'm not sure what fanboy BS you're referring too; SW decided long ago as a collective the following and added such to the official spreadsheet (which I have no control over mind you). It's the general consensus now; we used logic and discussion to set forth this precedents.

It's kinda entertaining that this still has to be explained from time to time.

#49 Posted by sukraj (22108 posts) -

Dead Rising 3