Which is your favourite Max Payne game?

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll Which is your favourite Max Payne game? (53 votes)

Max Payne 1 45%
Max Payne 2 36%
Max Payne 3 19%

I'm asking this question because recently there was a thread asking people to list their top 3 Rockstar games. In this list out of the Max Payne games, Max Payne 3 came up the most and I'm wondering if people actually prefer it to the 1st 2 games? I like Max Payne 3 but I don't think it's as good as the 1st two.

My favourite goes in order of how they were released, 1 to 3. What about yours?

• 
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Alan Wake. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

Alot of people shit on 3 but I think it's still a very good game and probably the best third-person shooter of last gen. Although it's not perfect. The barrage of cutscenes, pointless wall-cover, GTA style on-the-rail sections feel completely out of place and detract from the overall experience.

2 I like, but I find it's story not terribly interesting. Visually, it's aged really well, and like all 3 games, a stonking good soundtrack full of atmosphere.

The original has a pretty good story, a scrappy DIY love and enthusiasm to it alot of blockbusters these days lack. Very simple but fun gun-fu (which John Woo retroactively copied), and tightly paced gameplay that much like Paul Verhoeven's Robocop can happily jump between deadly earnest and surreal black humor, without feeling out of place.

A lovely, lovely game. A classic. It's probably the most solid trilogy around, come to think of it.

But ye, go with original. I do like 3 slightly more than 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Max Payne 2 it was a huge improvement over the first in terms of gameplay, graphics and ragdoll physics although I think the original has the best atmosphere. The third game is really great but I still prefer Max Payne 2 gameplay over it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Max Payne 3 is really good from a gameplay perspective.

I love the physics based nature of the slow motion. If you hit something while dodging, Max will react

I love weapons not magically appearing and disappearing. I love Max picking up a new weapon while rolling.

I really like the variation of locations: Visiting both New York and South America

The one thing that's a bit much though is that there is just way too many cutscenes and story. I like the story, I like the cutscenes but it's a game I want to replay a lot (I think I have 5 replays on every Max Payne game) and it gets in the way. I also don't understand why they removed the comic book panels.

Max Payne = Max Payne 2 = Max Payne 3

All three are classics and should be enjoyed by everyone who calls themself a gamer.

Yeah, dodging around in slow motion never gets old :D

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I like all of them but 2 was a smidgen above

RICPERFER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RICPERFER
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

Max Payne 3 is the best.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I really loved 2 and 3, haven't played the original yet although I do have it on my og Xbox. I picked three just because I think I had the most fun with it, the co,tells and gameplay were great, but 2 wasn't far behind.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Really liked the first one, game was fresh and new. second one was also really good.

3rd one i couldn't care about. Found it rather awful.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25063 Posts

Original >>>>>>>> 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

There said, origial is masterpiece. 3 has best mechanic in any of TPS and 2 is shallow disappointing sequel.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

Love Max Payne, one of my favourite franchises for sure. Have played 2 and 3 many, many times and the first once. My favourite is 2. Really love the atmosphere, the story boards cartoons, the characters, tons of great quotes. Super cheesy and delicious :). Another thing 2 has over 3 is that it doesn't interupt you too much. Just much better consistent adrenaline flow. But 3 is fantastic also.

I think the IP is dead now though :(.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I played Max 1 and 2 on the PC, 3 on the consoles. Max 1 was awesome and the graphics and story line were great. Just like the cut scenes I felt I was playing through a dark gritty graphics novel with over the top Matrix style gun-play. Bullet-time never got old. :) 1 and 2 were release day grabs for me. Talking about this kinda makes me want to go pull the "old games box" out of the garage and load it up again.

My vote went to 1 but I did enjoy all three games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

I’d say that 3 was probably my favourite.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 297

#13  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Payne 1 is a masterpiece.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

I enjoyed all of them, but I think I liked 3 the best.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

For me:

Max Payne 1 was brilliant and novel, but a few small niggles such as the dire dream levels let it down slightly.

Max Payne 2 took what was great with the first and built on it, with some graphics well ahead of their time and removing the niggles from the first.

Max Payne 3 was okay. I mean it was Max Payne but it felt more of a spin off. An enjoyable one mind.

So for me

2 >1>>>>>>>>3

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

Max Payne 1 for me. Still an awesome game to this day. Max Payne 2 is also great. Max Payne 3 though I really hate it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

I like Max Payne 3 a lot more but the rest are also good. I say, Max Payne 3>Max Payne 1>Max Payne 2 in this order.

Also, I happened to enjoy Max Payne movie with Mark Walberg as Payne, I just treated the movie as one of my guilty pleasures :P

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Love them all. 3 has the best gunplay in any TPS I've ever played and 1/2 have some of the best atmosphere of any games I've ever played.

Shame that Remedy sucks ass these days.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#19 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

This reminds me that I actually own 3. I played through and enjoyed 1 and 2, but never quite made it to 3.

Thanks. :)

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Alot of people shit on 3 but I think it's still a very good game and probably the best third-person shooter of last gen. Although it's not perfect. The barrage of cutscenes, pointless wall-cover, GTA style on-the-rail sections feel completely out of place and detract from the overall experience.

2 I like, but I find it's story not terribly interesting. Visually, it's aged really well, and like all 3 games, a stonking good soundtrack full of atmosphere.

The original has a pretty good story, a scrappy DIY love and enthusiasm to it alot of blockbusters these days lack. Very simple but fun gun-fu (which John Woo retroactively copied), and tightly paced gameplay that much like Paul Verhoeven's Robocop can happily jump between deadly earnest and surreal black humor, without feeling out of place.

A lovely, lovely game. A classic. It's probably the most solid trilogy around, come to think of it.

But ye, go with original. I do like 3 slightly more than 2.

You've pretty much summed it up perfectly. 3 was an awesome, awesome title. One of the best shooters in years... at least mechanically.

For me, it's 1 > 3 > 2. Max Payne 1 is my personal favorite for its incredibly oppressive atmosphere. 2 was fantastic, but really didn't wow me like the first one did. Granted, the tech was impressive for 2003 and it showed off a nice physics engine a year before Half Life 2 came along.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

MP2 is Remedy's masterpiece. Its short but I've rarely felt that sort of attachment to game characters before. This is on top of the faultless combat model.

3 is a decent a third person shooter on its own but a poor Max Payne game. The setting and atmosphere are all wrong and the story is full of holes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25063 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

MP2 is Remedy's masterpiece. Its short but I've rarely felt that sort of attachment to game characters before. This is on top of the faultless combat model.

3 is a decent a third person shooter on its own but a poor Max Payne game. The setting and atmosphere are all wrong and the story is full of holes.

actually 3 is much better and more challenging than 2.

I remember i was a child and even for that time MP2 was waaay too easy that i barely died. 2 was disappointing sequel.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19600 Posts

I think MP2 is almost a flawless experience. It took everything that was good about the first game, and improved on it. The noir storyline/aesthetic was also amazingly well realised.

So...I'd say MP2 >>> MP1 >>>>>>>>>> MP3.

MP1 was great, but I don't particularly care about the story, and the visuals have not aged well.

MP3 had good combat, but kept interrupting the combat with annoying cutscenes (sometimes twice per room, just to show enemies appearing) or awkward cover shooter segments (who the hell thought that ducking behind low walls would work in a game about highly kinetic gunplay?).

I also still have no idea why they didn't cast a Brazilian cop as the main character, other than marketing. There was no reason for Max Payne to be in Max Payne 3.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@ghosts4ever: no idea how someone who so often rage on movie games still have such a hard on for mp3?? I mean I am replaying it right now and while it’s a good game, it’s freaking awful how often the game takes away the control from the player! I literally don’t think I had 5 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay in it yet!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

2 was good on the og Xbox but 3 was exceptional I remember the price dropped amazingly quickly.

cristoeuf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cristoeuf
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

Max Payne 2 for me! :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I liked 1 and 2

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Max Payne 3, because it has deeper mechanics.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

Two was my shit. It didn't have the campy noir novelty of the first game, but it made up for it in fun. 3... was okay, but, to use a highly abused term in these parts, it was a movie game. Like, they literally borrowed the aesthetic from Tony Scott movies. Plus I hated Max's character in the game, he was too much of a self-pitying loser who was terrible at his jobs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Two was my shit. It didn't have the campy noir novelty of the first game, but it made up for it in fun. 3... was okay, but, to use a highly abused term in these parts, it was a movie game. Like, they literally borrowed the aesthetic from Tony Scott movies. Plus I hated Max's character in the game, he was too much of a self-pitying loser who was terrible at his jobs

To be fair, Max Payne itself was lifted from gun-fu/heroic bloodshed movies. It's very much a movie game, albeit with less obnoxious prevalence of cutscenes.

Loading Video...

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@warmblur: "Max Payne 2 it was a huge improvement over the first in terms of gameplay,"

What were the improvements?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Planeforger said:

MP3 had good combat, but kept interrupting the combat with annoying cutscenes (sometimes twice per room, just to show enemies appearing) or awkward cover shooter segments (who the hell thought that ducking behind low walls would work in a game about highly kinetic gunplay?).

I don't see the issue. Very few moments require sticky cover. Almost none, to be honest. It's a nice addition that you can choose to ignore, sort of like the over the shoulder aiming.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#33 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@biggest_loser said:

actually 3 is much better and more challenging than 2.

I remember i was a child and even for that time MP2 was waaay too easy that i barely died. 2 was disappointing sequel.

Oh right.

Yeah you haven't changed my mind

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Only played 1 & 2 , and to be brutally honest I don't remember too much about either game, they weren't memorable to me in anyway, sorry fans but mediocre comes to mind.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8510 Posts

Loved each one of them but 2 is my favorite followed by 1 and 3. I complete 1 and 2 each in one sitting, LOL.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

3 was brilliant enjoyed it all the way through.