Which gaming device will last longer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Which gaming device do you thing that will endure over the years?

#2 Posted by SolidTy (42025 posts) -

PC gaming in that four choice poll.

#3 Posted by jake44 (1928 posts) -

PC gaming. Consoles will eventually die out.

#4 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

SolidTy

And what if there was no poll? Would you choose differently?

#5 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
PC
#6 Posted by SolidTy (42025 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Ricardomz

And what if there was no poll? Would you choose differently?

I didn't vote in the poll at all. I only mentioned the poll in my post for posterity, in case the poll was later taken down as I've seen over the years in SW.

However, I did answer your question with my post instead.

Question in OP :

"Which Gaming device will last longer?"

I gave the answer I believe to be true with my post, PC gaming. Of course, I don't think the other options are going away anytime soon.

#7 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -
All of them? They're all growing.
#8 Posted by cainetao11 (16473 posts) -

SolidTy
I agree, although I read it wrong. I feel as long as smart phones are here, the handheld is dead.
#9 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

cainetao11
I agree, although I read it wrong. I feel as long as smart phones are here, the handheld is dead.

ROFL, no
#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
pc wont ever go away.. i dont see consoles going either
#11 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

PC.

#12 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

If you asked this a few years ago I would say the PC.

The IBM compatible PC exists since the early 80s and still no end in sight (of course the 80s ones and modern ones have little in common).

However, times are changing.

The PC and consoles will continue to exist but they will face big competition in the form of phones/tablets and cloud gaming.

Let's put it that way - there are about 100 million Wii owners out there and about 70 million 360 & PS3 owners out there (and about 150 million DS/3DS and 70 million PSP/Vita owners).

But there are millions upon millions of people owning a phone capable of running games.

Maybe not very good games, but games nonetheless.

And if you consider the expenses connected to game development on modern consoles, it doesn't take a blind man to figure out where the future of gaming is.

Sure, the amount of classic PCs in the world is still the biggest, but most of them are capable of running only flash games or old games.

The amount of enthusiast gamer PCs is clearly a lot lower than the "work" PCs.

So if cloud gaming evolves and becomes a viable option, I can see it giving the consoles and PCs a run for their money in the not so distant future.

But PC will of course continue to get games because it's a open platform and anyone can develop for it without any licensing fees or such.

The future of consoles may be a bit more uncertain but at the same time people are still interested in dedicated gaming devices.

They will just have to evolve and get some new or unique features.

#13 Posted by Armoured_Mage (766 posts) -

theyre all pc's

#14 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

theyre all pc's

Armoured_Mage

When we say PC we actually mean "runs Windows and is open platform".

#15 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5040 posts) -
They will all die.
#16 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

PC is never going anywhere.

Smartphnes aren't going anywhere ether but they haven't even begun to be acceptable gaming devices to anyone with real standards .

#17 Posted by darkspineslayer (19456 posts) -
I give it 5 years before most personal PCs are for gaming. Sure they will still be used in a business setting, but the casual Internet browser is going to have a tablet.
#18 Posted by hippiesanta (9757 posts) -

PC gaming. Consoles will eventually die out.

jake44
no it won't ... it only evolves
#19 Posted by organic_machine (9685 posts) -

[QUOTE="Armoured_Mage"]

theyre all pc's

nameless12345

When we say PC we actually mean "runs Windows and is open platform".

But that is completely stupid.

#20 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
PC /thread
#21 Posted by jsmoke03 (12605 posts) -

pc....because you can always put out a game on the pc...so even if gaming dies, a pc is always accesible...

#22 Posted by fenriz275 (1154 posts) -

PC, pc gaming has been reported to be dying since the first consoles but it's still here and doing well.

#23 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6234 posts) -

If by PC you mean stuff you put together bought off newegg, then no, it won't last forever. This industry has no purpose and arguably is already a dead platform.

If by PC you mean "a general purpose computer of some kind" these will always be around (desktop PC -> Mobile/tablet/phone)

If by console you mean "a device you buy at the store built to play games" I think there will ALWAYS be something like this.

#24 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4585 posts) -
The PC itself can't be labeled a device in the same context as a console, nor can a smartphone or tablet because you're upgrading those more often than consoles (phones every 1 to 2 years, PCs at least get memory upgrades randomly) so I'd say technically the console would last you longer if you want to make no other purchases than the device itself over the course of 5-8 years
#25 Posted by Arach666 (23018 posts) -
Obviously the PC,hardware is always going to be available for purchase and due to the open-endedness nature of the platform there will always be games,same cannot be said about the console model since that always depends on a manufacturer to develop it and support it,such thing isn´t necessary on the PC.
#26 Posted by Intense00 (57 posts) -

I do believe in cloud gaming or whatever become of it.... with google fibre etc... in 5 years, probably everyone will have a 30+ mbps connection

#27 Posted by AdrianWerner (27957 posts) -

PC. I think consoles will die and mobile will be ultimatelly assimilated by PC too. In future I everyone will be using just one personal computing device, that will power every other form factor you carry around. When you walk around it will power your smartphone, your ebook reader when on couch, your laptop/desktop when working/playing and your tv set when you're watching tv/movies/playing games.

#28 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

PC. I think consoles will die and mobile will be ultimatelly assimilated by PC too. In future I everyone will be using just one personal computing device, that will power every other form factor you carry around. When you walk around it will power your smartphone, your ebook reader when on couch, your laptop/desktop when working/playing and your tv set when you're watching tv/movies/playing games.

AdrianWerner

Desktop PCs are already dying for the non-enthusiast gamer and non-demanding user.

#29 Posted by GarGx1 (2424 posts) -

PC, certainly the hardware will change and upgrading will never go away but it'll take some kind of major global catasrophe to kill off PC gaming. Onlive type models will probably kill off the consoles and smart phones will kill off the handhelds.

#30 Posted by AdrianWerner (27957 posts) -

Desktop PCs are already dying for the non-enthusiast gamer and non-demanding user.

nameless12345

Nah. They still rule in office space, which will ensure their survival. Plus the hardcore pcgaming desktop market is growing very fast nowadays.

That said, flexibility is the main reason why PCs will survive, while consoles will crumble. Laptops are doing better than ever and you can play even the newest games on most of them. Plus now PC is spreading to living rooms as home entertainment centers and to mobile, as tablets. And we know that in few years they will do the same to phones, as x86 architecture already reached a point where it's doable.

Gaming needs to become what music and movies are - one medium accessible from multiple form factors.

#31 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

Console gaming is going to fall in on itslef eventually. The way it's heading now it's more about money and one upping everyone else rather than the games and the gamers. The product model won't go on forever, especially with all the DLCs and the price of games at launch not to mention second hand trading. It will come to a head eventually and something will change.

PC on the other hand will always be around cos people need computers in their homes, they can always just add or remove parts to make it play games so it goes hand in had. As a dedicated gaming system I wouldn't imagine a PC lasting forever either. But because people need PCs for other things this is why it will last the longest. Also the platform is the most open

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

nameless12345

The gaming side of PC has never been as strong as it is in the last couple of years.

#33 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

The poll is in agreement with my choice.

#34 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"]All of them? They're all growing.

Console gaming has been shrinking the last couple of years
#35 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="locopatho"]All of them? They're all growing.

I was talking in terms of number of machines sold. Seems like every gen more and more consoles are sold. So I don't see them dying in the forseeable future.
#36 Posted by AdrianWerner (27957 posts) -

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="locopatho"]All of them? They're all growing.locopatho

I was talking in terms of number of machines sold. Seems like every gen more and more consoles are sold. So I don't see them dying in the forseeable future.

I'm not sure that's true, especially taking into account how long this gen has been

#37 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] Console gaming has been shrinking the last couple of yearsAdrianWerner

I'm not sure that's true, especially taking into account how long this gen has been

Rough estimates but I think the N64/PS1/Saturn gen was about 150 million consoles sold, Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube gen a little over 200 million, and this gen approaching 250 million. It's hard to seperate since the PS2 for example, on 150 million+ sold, got many of those sales throughout the current gen. PS3 could possibly do something similar if they hold off on PS4 for a while. Regardless, impressive numbers that seem to be getting bigger as time goes on :)
#38 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] I was talking in terms of number of machines sold. Seems like every gen more and more consoles are sold. So I don't see them dying in the forseeable future.locopatho

Rough estimates but I think the N64/PS1/Saturn gen was about 150 million consoles sold, Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube gen a little over 200 million, and this gen approaching 250 million. It's hard to seperate since the PS2 for example, on 150 million+ sold, got many of those sales throughout the current gen. PS3 could possibly do something similar if they hold off on PS4 for a while. Regardless, impressive numbers that seem to be getting bigger as time goes on :)

Doubt that PS3 will have the same magic of the PS2. It current sales are like what 65 million, and it's been out like 6 years now. With 10 years cycle, no way in hell the PS3 can reach 150mil; heck 100mil can be difficult with Sony's weird *ss advertisement & marketing decision. The PS4 needs to come out around the same time as the next xbox, there won't be another Wii here, since Sony pretty much said that they will aim for power next gen.
#39 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

PC obviously. It will never go away.

#40 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

Cloud gaming will be last in, last out.

Consoles have maybe one more successfull gen left, as do handhelds, if even that(probably not).

Traditional gaming PCs won`t be around forever either.

#41 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]I'm not sure that's true, especially taking into account how long this gen has beenrjdofu

Doubt that PS3 will have the same magic of the PS2. It current sales are like what 65 million, and it's been out like 6 years now. With 10 years cycle, no way in hell the PS3 can reach 150mil; heck 100mil can be difficult with Sony's weird *ss advertisement & marketing decision. The PS4 needs to come out around the same time as the next xbox, there won't be another Wii here, since Sony pretty much said that they will aim for power next gen.

O I meant keep selling long into next gen, not to do PS2 numbers, even Wii won't do that!
#42 Posted by AdrianWerner (27957 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] I was talking in terms of number of machines sold. Seems like every gen more and more consoles are sold. So I don't see them dying in the forseeable future.locopatho

The problem is..do they really? I would like to see real numbers that would compare it year by year. This gen is aproaching 250 mln, but it's already 7 years old. WHat's more..the fact that it seems so console will be able to even match PS2 numbers (and unlikely this will change next gen) must be a major headache for developers

#43 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]I'm not sure that's true, especially taking into account how long this gen has been

AdrianWerner

The problem is..do they really? I would like to see real numbers that would compare it year by year. This gen is aproaching 250 mln, but it's already 7 years old. WHat's more..the fact that it seems so console will be able to even match PS2 numbers (and unlikely this will change next gen) must be a major headache for developers

Year by year numbers would be interesting. If you break it up by timescale, rather then hardware generations, then keep in mind that PS2 has sold tens of millions since 2005, when this gen began. So since 2005, it's prob close to/more than 300 million consoles sold. I dunno bout the developers angle. The Wii had crazy sales and they didn't care to support it, they just made multiplats instead, and they'll prob do the same next gen.
#44 Posted by ZeW0lf (14 posts) -
As long as WOW exists, PC.
#45 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"] It's hard to seperate since the PS2 for example, on 150 million+ sold, got many of those sales throughout the current gen. PS3 could possibly do something similar if they hold off on PS4 for a while. Regardless, impressive numbers that seem to be getting bigger as time goes on :)

The PS3 would be lucky to even get to half of that. You would have to take all three consoles to even come close to what the PS2 sold. I personally think unless they can come up with a really good gimick much like the Wii did this gen, next gen game console sales will be even less.
#46 Posted by arto1223 (4404 posts) -

PC of course.

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Rough estimates but I think the N64/PS1/Saturn gen was about 150 million consoles sold, Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube gen a little over 200 million, and this gen approaching 250 million. It's hard to seperate since the PS2 for example, on 150 million+ sold, got many of those sales throughout the current gen. PS3 could possibly do something similar if they hold off on PS4 for a while. Regardless, impressive numbers that seem to be getting bigger as time goes on :)locopatho

Year by year numbers would be interesting. If you break it up by timescale, rather then hardware generations, then keep in mind that PS2 has sold tens of millions since 2005, when this gen began. So since 2005, it's prob close to/more than 300 million consoles sold. I dunno bout the developers angle. The Wii had crazy sales and they didn't care to support it, they just made multiplats instead, and they'll prob do the same next gen.

The PS2 was a completely different beast to anything that's around now. It got so much love and attention.

#48 Posted by MK-Professor (3669 posts) -

If by PC you mean stuff you put together bought off newegg, then no, it won't last forever. This industry has no purpose and arguably is already a dead platform.

ZombieKiller7

if it is already a dead platform, then consoles are what? zombies?

#49 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

So guys, PC is winning by a lot, but let's picture this scenario shall we?

PC becomes a closed platform... Will developers like Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda and others still focus on producing to PC or shall the PC live with mods and indie games?

#50 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -

So guys, PC is winning by a lot, but let's picture this scenario shall we?

PC becomes a closed platform... Will developers like Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda and others still focus on producing to PC or shall the PC live with mods and indie games?

Ricardomz
It´s hard to picture a scenario like that because it´s pretty much impossible for the PC to be a closed platform,especially in the seense of what consoles are,wich is why the PC has the potential to outlive every type of gaming system out there(and it will).