Which failure is bigger; Kinect or Wii U

• 55 results
Posted by Indicud (745 posts) 11 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Which failure is bigger; Kinect or Wii U (41 votes)

Kinect 46%
Wii U 54%
#1 Posted by Indicud (745 posts) -

Personally I believe Kinect Is, Microsoft is essitiantly abandoning it in just 6 months. Not even Nintendo ditched the Virtual Boy that fast.

#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

@Indicud said:

Personally I believe Kinect Is, Microsoft is essitiantly abandoning it in just 6 months. Not even Nintendo ditched the Virtual Boy that fast.

They're offering a Kinect-less SKU. It's still readily available. They took out Kinect functionality ages ago.

They'll still push it, but they are simply giving options, as well as driving down the cost.

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

jeez mate, they're both pretty bad.

#4 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34287 posts) -

Sales-wise, Wii U was more of a failure, whereas the kinect actually managed to sell very well (on the 360 atleast, don't know about the Xbone)

personally, I find the kinect is more of a failure to me, as it has nothing that appeals to me or grabs my interest, in gaming or otherwise, whereas I actually enjoy my Wii U quite a bit, and find the off-screen play with the gamepad quite nifty.

#5 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

Why are you comparing a peripheral to a system?

#6 Posted by RR360DD (13033 posts) -

Offering Kinectless SKU = abandoning.

Cows gets stupider by the day.

#7 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9339 posts) -

Kinect obviously. The WiiU is actually good for games.

#8 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

It's apples and oranges IMO. If the kinect flops the x180 still can do well. The problems with the wii u are not so easily dismissed.

#9 Posted by NFJSupreme (5404 posts) -

Wii u. Kinect is just a bump in the road for ms. The wii u is actually dead.

#10 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5772 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

The only reason they will continue to sell it at all is so those 4 million idiots who bought the Xbone with Kinect already won't throw a fit over it.

Kinect = dead

#11 Posted by NFJSupreme (5404 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p: which is why the wii u is an empty wasteland for third quarter party games right?

#12 Edited by inb4uall (6371 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Indicud said:

They're offering a Kinect-less SKU. It's still readily available. They took out Kinect functionality ages ago.

They'll still push it, but they are simply giving options, as well as driving down the cost.

Devs won't feel confident wasting resources putting kinect features into a game if not every system has a kinect.

Kinect-less SKU has much more in common with the 2DS imo. Of course, no one wants to talk about that because the 3DS is a resounding success and cows want to call kinect a failure not compare it to something successful.

#13 Posted by RR360DD (13033 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@RR360DD said:

The only reason they will continue to sell it at all is so those 4 million idiots who bought the Xbone with Kinect already won't throw a fit over it.

Kinect = dead

Or maybe its because they have games in development for it and are still very much supporting it.

Clearly you don't know what dead means. I'll educate you. Here

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

Devs won't feel confident wasting resources putting kinect features into a game if not every system has a kinect.

Kinect-less SKU has much more in common with the 2DS imo. Of course, no one wants to talk about that because the 3DS is a resounding success and cows want to call kinect a failure not compare it to something successful.

That's a wee bit of an exaggeration. If Kinect features are easy to implement, they may well do it. Furthermore, there is nothing stopping MS from creating more Kinect games. Remember, there are still SKUs being sold with a Kinect.

That being said, I would absolutely expect support of the Kinect to go down should the Kinect-less SKU really throughout the gen.

#15 Posted by kingtito (5235 posts) -

Your threads TC. Put that as an option, that is of course if you can manage to pull your head out of Sony's nether regions long enough.

#16 Posted by Gue1 (11246 posts) -

Wii U has way better games than what Kinect will ever get.

Kinect has made more money than Wii U only if we count Kinect on the 360, if not then Kinect is the bigger failure.

#17 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5772 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@RR360DD said:

Kinect = dead

Or maybe its because they have games in development for it and are still very much supporting it.

Clearly you don't know what dead means. I'll educate you. Here

Kinect games LOL

Did you miss Fighter Within and Kinect Sports Rivals? Nobody wants that shit.

For the last year MS has been quoted saying things like "we will never unbundle Kinect" "Kinect is Xbox One" "we have promised developers that every Xbox One owner will have a Kinect"

They were going to require everyone to keep it plugged in at all times until everyone threw a fit over privacy concerns.

The only reason you're still defending it is because you were one of those dumb 4 million people who already bought the useless thing and now you're stuck with it.

#18 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

MS is going to do the whole we will fully support the kinect but all the devs that were working on games saw their profits drop literally overnight. The thing never worked right and I am sure that it used hardware resourced that could have been used for games as well. So the smart thing to do is lie and say we have no plans to sell a cheaper sku with no kinect so everybody buys the stock at retail.

MS always seems to screw people who buy the xbox early. The did it with the 1st one with defective power brick and dvd drives. The did it on the 360 with the RROD and scratched disc. Now the xflop pushes kinect and has no games with gold on xbots. Now suddenly they got the same price as the ps4 with gimped hardware needed to include the kinect at 500.

If I was a x180 owner I would be pissed that I got a 100 buck paper weight forced on me.

#19 Edited by Epic-gamerz (222 posts) -

@RR360DD: anyone against Kinect is automatically a Cow? No chance of a Hermit, Sheep, neutral. just instantly a Cow?

#20 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (9339 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

@RR360DD: anyone against Kinect is automatically a Cow? No chance of a Hermit, Sheep, neutral. just instantly a Cow?

#21 Posted by kingtito (5235 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

MS is going to do the whole we will fully support the kinect but all the devs that were working on games saw their profits drop literally overnight. The thing never worked right and I am sure that it used hardware resourced that could have been used for games as well. So the smart thing to do is lie and say we have no plans to sell a cheaper sku with no kinect so everybody buys the stock at retail.

MS always seems to screw people who buy the xbox early. The did it with the 1st one with defective power brick and dvd drives. The did it on the 360 with the RROD and scratched disc. Now the xflop pushes kinect and has no games with gold on xbots. Now suddenly they got the same price as the ps4 with gimped hardware needed to include the kinect at 500.

If I was a x180 owner I would be pissed that I got a 100 buck paper weight forced on me.

OK some of your post makes sense but let's go around making out and out lies. The original Xbox was a tank and way more reliable than the PS1 or DRE PS2 version. The 360 is the only MS console that had major hardware problems.

I really wish Sony made consoles like Sony. You know the ones where the power supply fails (PS1), the ones that get the DRE but refused to fix ever AFTER the lawsuit. How about the one that forced BR (PS3) on you for no other reason than to take over the HD video market. How about the console (PS3 again) that forced you to pay $600 with all those features then slow but surely take them all away.

Yeah I definitely like your console manufacturer better \sarcasm

I do agree with being pissed and now having a $100 paper weight.

#22 Edited by Epic-gamerz (222 posts) -

Just get the Xbox 360. it can run games in 720p as well

#23 Posted by Heil68 (46810 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Kinect obviously. The WiiU is actually good for games.

Right on brah. Kinect(lol) is the joke of the gaming industry,

#24 Edited by freedomfreak (43048 posts) -

#25 Posted by RR360DD (13033 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

On system wars? 99 times out of 100, yes

#dealwithit

#26 Posted by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

Well considering one is an actual system and the other is a peripheral the bigger failure would be Wii-U.

#27 Posted by gago-gago (9858 posts) -

The PS Move, it's not even a factor.

#28 Edited by Epic-gamerz (222 posts) -

@RR360DD: A Cow shouldnt be your worst enemy in the world. But if it is, Sad life bro

#29 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

It's tough.

While the Wii U actually has (and will continue to have) great games, many hardly use the gamepad (major facepalm).

#30 Posted by iambatman7986 (735 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag: As one of the 4 million idiots, I'll admit, this move kills Kinect. This splits the userbase which history show, unless a peripheral is standard, 3rd parties don't support it because it costs extra to develop for only some fans to take advantage of.

#31 Edited by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -

PS Move and Vita

#32 Posted by jg4xchamp (50032 posts) -

Commercially the WiiU. That's not even close.

#33 Posted by STEAMSBL0WSSAX (80 posts) -

they both failed for gaming,..

#34 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3785 posts) -

PS4.

#35 Posted by wolverine4262 (20112 posts) -

The kinect isnt a failure, its just being forced into the wrong industry.

#36 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

Kinect. This thing will be abandonded.

#37 Edited by ConanTheStoner (7292 posts) -

Is Kinect even a failure?

#38 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9748 posts) -

The Wii-U, of course. At least the Kinect was successful for a while.

#39 Posted by special-ops (121 posts) -

I think kinect is the biggest failure and Wii U is better to play at home.

#40 Edited by _SWAG_ (2663 posts) -

it's a tie but xbone with the lead. the ps4 is the most successful system this gen. sony won everything already. having to choose which one is the biggest loser is sad but that's what's up

#41 Edited by clr84651 (5545 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Indicud said:

It should've always been this way from launch. More backpedaling their mistakes. DRM & used game fees went first Now Kinect & allowing non gold members to use Netflix & other services. MS got really into the forcing stuff on their consumers while designing the X1. How about they not design TV crap into it and instead put better hardware so it could be on par with the PS4, which is the most important thing by far in order to compete.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Indicud said:

It should've always been this way from launch. More backpedaling their mistakes. DRM & used game fees went first Now Kinect & allowing non gold members to use Netflix & other services. MS got really into the forcing stuff on their consumers while designing the X1.

Yup, and now they're changing that. Good news for gamers.

#43 Posted by clr84651 (5545 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@clr84651 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Indicud said:

It should've always been this way from launch. More backpedaling their mistakes. DRM & used game fees went first Now Kinect & allowing non gold members to use Netflix & other services. MS got really into the forcing stuff on their consumers while designing the X1.

Yup, and now they're changing that. Good news for gamers.

I'm interested in seeing how much of a difference that makes in sales in the U.S. I don't think it'll do much elsewhere, but the U.S. is different for MS.

#44 Posted by xhawk27 (7517 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Is that possible?

#45 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24187 posts) -

the wiiu because kinect only sucks when it comes to games.

the non game uses for kinect are amazing.

the wiiu has no saving grace.

#46 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Kinect.

At least Nintendo hasn't abandoned the WiiU.

#47 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (8012 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Why are you comparing a peripheral to a system?

My thoughts exactly.

#48 Edited by Basinboy (11388 posts) -

Kinect.

The hybrid controller isn't a bad toy - but it's not something you want to sacrifice system capabilities in exchange for.

#49 Edited by Spitfire-Six (689 posts) -

You forgot to add the "this thread" option to your poll

#50 Edited by noodlevixen (480 posts) -

Am I the only one who doesn't see the kinect as a failure? Betamax was a failure. Hd Dvd was a failure. The kinect didn't really fail. Hell, it's still available and used!