Which exclusives has the best AI?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Someone made a post on why they thought The Last of Us had the worst AI which I know is pretty dumb as games like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed exists, which got me thinking which exclusives from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft have the best AI?

I do enjoy games with good AI in them as long as they don't cheat, and AI barely makes a dent in reviews,people just like to mock it when it's bad. It would be interesting to know who is currently is best at it in the new generation of console time frame onwards.

Does anything match or beat older games? have developers got lazy? and what do people expect from games like Fallout 4 where you know the developers in past have made big deals out of AI and it's turned out to be somewhat less than expected,, have any developers made a deal out of AI recently?

It's not something I thought about much, most games have terrible AI, I can't remember the last game since FEAR which had any attempt at pushing the boundaries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Black and White, PC exclusive. :p

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Halo has always had pretty good AI.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Halo.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Halo's AI is fun to fight against. Especially on higher difficulties.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ten_Pints
@sts106mat said:

Well its not exclusive, but the Alien AI in Alien Isolation was cool because it wasn't following a pre-programmed routine. it definitely pushes the boundaries because you were actually being hunted by it. where as normally you can just try to find ways to exploits its programming as often happens with stealth games, but this wasn't easy to do in Alien.

I have heard that game mentioned, but I just assumed it was a random encounter type of thing, does it actually hunt you and move around the map in real time? A lot of games can hide the AI (or lack of) by just saying the enemies are not human like all those zombie games, devs love those because they don't have to write shit because they are meant to be overpowered and stupid.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

One thing is for sure , racing games don't have the best AI , maybe it's not even AI.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Halos

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ten_Pints
@Ant_17 said:

One thing is for sure , racing games don't have the best AI , maybe it's not even AI.

That's a good point, people like to take the piss out of GT6 because the AI does not drive hard enough, or in the case of GT5 B-Spec mode it did not like overtaking which was annoying as hell. A lot of that is the AI trying to conserve tyre wear when it's not even in a race where it matters which is kinda dumb.

But you can see there is some AI in there, it is certainly not scripted as the cars can have many different setups, in certain cases the AI could drive cars that were badly set up better than I ever could, and if you look at where it came from in the days of the PS2 GT3-4 the AI in that was terrible, there were instances where the AI would spin out on a corner and to donuts in the road and you had to play the game of avoiding the AI every lap on an endurance race, and pray that the AI cars would not pit manoeuvre you on corners.

I do hope GT7 progresses the AI further. I've never played Forza so can't comment on that, although I do remember them making a big deal out of their cloud AI thing, was it any good?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Company of Heroes. Online or off, that game will wreck you.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

TLOU for sure.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ant_17

@sts106mat said:
@Ant_17 said:

Disagree. play Forza 5 or FH2 on the x1 and feel the difference. the single player races feel like online races, its a huge difference to the run of the mill rubber band bullshit of most racing games.

So the AI rams you of the road on corners?

And acts like Dick Dastardly by sitting at the finish line waiting got you to catsh up?

Try to give a better comparisen.

And you say disagree and then bash on all racers except Forza?

Yeah , sure.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I hear Deep Blue plays a mad game of Chess, and it's one of a kind machine, that's as exclusive as you get.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ant_17

@ten_pints: Well , i played NFS most wanted yesterday and beat the Lexis boss , but when i had to take him down he when off road on some tracks and flipped out.

Just started going side to side really slow and i couldn't hit him hard enought for the take down.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@Ant_17 said:

Disagree. play Forza 5 or FH2 on the x1 and feel the difference. the single player races feel like online races, its a huge difference to the run of the mill rubber band bullshit of most racing games.

+100 good call.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ant_17

@sts106mat said:
@Ant_17 said:
@sts106mat said:
@Ant_17 said:

So the AI rams you of the road on corners?

And acts like Dick Dastardly by sitting at the finish line waiting got you to catsh up?

Try to give a better comparisen.

And you say disagree and then bash on all racers except Forza?

Yeah , sure.

no, its unpredictable, like real people. brakes early / late, drives on or off the racing line, spins out crashes into other vehicles. most importantly of all it makes the races more fun to play than robotic cars which never crash/spin or mess up.

Play it for yourself and then you'll see the difference.

Personally i am not hugely into racing games, i enjoy the Forza games for a couple of weeks and then move on. The only other racing games i play is F1 2015, difficult to bash the AI in that game because of the nature of F1. i play it on hard and depending on the track i will be given a good run for my money.

I get what you mean , but they way you said it just sounded fanboy-ish.

If you want good racing AI codemasters have it in the bag.

Grid drift events are the best and the AI really digs into the corners.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Fear was pretty good, Halo has good A.I.

@GoldenElementXL There's competition for that as well

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ten_Pints

Grid isn't a driving sim though, when most people talking about sims it's either GT6 or Forza, I know there are some obscure ones on PC.

What about pCars nobody has even mentioned that game AI wise, I know it isn't exclusive, I saw a lot of praise for how they game looked on Pc, but nobody ever said shit about the game play.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ant_17

@ten_pints said:

Grid isn't a driving sim though, when most people talking about sims it's either GT6 or Forza, I know there are some obscure ones on PC.

What about pCars nobody has even mentioned that game AI wise, I know it isn't exclusive, I saw a lot of praise for how they game looked on Pc, but nobody ever said shit about the game play.

Because they haven't played it.

My PC friend tried it and said it's ok , but the AI is non-adaptive/if you run a car off the road they just slowly try to get back and don't care who is coming/

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ten_Pints
@sts106mat said:
@ten_pints said:

Forza motorsport is a sim, but the Horizon games are much more arcade like. the drivatars still work well in both.

As was said before, the AI in driving games isn't exactly a good direction for this thread.

True, shooters have their own AI as does driving games, the only other type of game I can think of which has any attempt at AI is strategy games, you don't get too many of those on console though, I've never seen a strategy game since the first Xcom/UFO game that had any noteworthy AI improvements. Games live Civ have always been dumb when it comes to AI, the only way they can make the AI more challenging is to make it cheat.

Real time strategy games are appallingly bad at AI.

Then you have Rome II where the videos speak for themselves.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ten_Pints
@sts106mat said:

thats another genre i dont play to be honest.

the one thing that i do appreciate in games is where NPC's will stop interacting after so long, rather than just repeating the same old shit when questioned.

Skyrims AI was improved over Oblvion and Fallout 3. Hopefully Fallout 4's will move on considerably aswelI.

home time for me now, but seriously, pick up alien isolation and see how impressive it can be. (dont play on easy mode or hard mode on your first attempt)

Alien scares me though :-/, the face huggers shit me up, H.R. Giger was one scary dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Lol at The Last of Us AI. I remember one time Ellie was stomping towards me, kicked a chair and sent it flying at a clicker. The chair bounced off the clicker and the clicker didn't do anything.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Fear was pretty good, Halo has good A.I.

@GoldenElementXL There's competition for that as well

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Wow! That's amazing! I haven't seen such an advancement in AI since the Drivatar. They finally started to imbue these characters with personality. The first guy shooting into the room clearly has a great fear of spiders. The second one is clearly working on his quick draw skills, trying to advance his career and better take care of his wife and four kids. For too long has the enemy in shooters been single dimensional characters whose sole purpose is to kill you (like everyone would instantly know you or any organization would be able to staff that many people for eventually getting a single day of work out of them). Halo and Gears really need to step it up for their next iterations. We can't just settle for AI that simply follows the best line to get in a situation to shoot you. We need more. And that second video, wow. It's just like playing against real people. People that don't have a clue where they're going, but real people non the less. If only more games could aspire to such heights...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@Heil68 said:

TLOU for sure.

this right here I agree, The Last of Us. Now I know everyone is going to talk about Ellie running into enemies but if the A.I saw her every time you're hiding, it would have made the game even harder which ND already stated about the A.I but in any case, I didn't have a problem with TLOU A.I since I play that game like 7 times. Here's an article about the A.I which ND talk about:

TLOU A.I talk

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Haven't been blown away by A.I. since F.E.A.R. (no pun intended).

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Maybe Halo. Haven't played Fear.

Retsaprezit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Retsaprezit
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

@Heil68 said:

TLOU for sure.

He asked what game has good AI, not some of the worst AI ever which is TLOU in a nut shell

@davillain- said:

this right here I agree, The Last of Us. Now I know everyone is going to talk about Ellie running into enemies but if the A.I saw her every time you're hiding, it would have made the game even harder which ND already stated about the A.I but in any case, I didn't have a problem with TLOU A.I since I play that game like 7 times. Here's an article about the A.I which ND talk about:

TLOU A.I talk

Terrible excuse, there's been tons of games that have AI partners or companions that can get killed if you don't watch out for them, and it would of made the game harder? Maybe Naughty Dog should learn good game design and maybe Ellie would of been implemented in the game to where she actually matters because she literally does nothing to effect the game and even worse she breaks the immersion which is one of the games strong point.

Resident Evil 4 had an AI companion that you could be killed or captured by enemies, Naughty Dog should of made it where you can tell Ellie to hide or even take control of her instead of her riding Joel's ass all the time.

The Last of Us had terrible AI period, even disregarding the fact that enemies can't see Ellie

Loading Video...

What a complete joke. ND design philosophy, use smoke and mirrors, graphics, narrative, QTE and scripted events to cover weak linear game design and mechanics and terrible AI.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#38 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

FEAR. No contest. But it's not exclusive anymore though. I think Starcraft 2's AI is pretty good. Path finding is perfect and on harder difficulties it's not just about taking more time to kill enemies, but instead they learn new tricks/abilities to kill you. Thief: The Dark Project and Killzone 2's AI is pretty good too.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cloud_imperium
@davillain- said:
@Heil68 said:

TLOU for sure.

TLOU A.I talk

I think Naughty Dog had great ideas about AI of the game but due PS3 limitation they couldn't achieve everything. But when it works, you can see some impressive stuff. I think they'll impress with TLOU 2 on PS4.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The Last of Us has the best AI that I've experienced. It actually feels like you have to out-think real people. It really added to the immersion. Its one of the reasons the game is so good.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ten_Pints

So F.E.A.R really was the last game to push AI to impress people, why has it been so long?

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Did anyone play F.E.A.R. 3? It's not exclusive and the gameplay isn't that great but the AI is great. They stay in cover when you spray bullets, they sprint to the next cover closer to you when you're reloading, they run away when you come in like a rambo,... (obv talking about the soldiers, not the monsters.)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloud_imperium

I think AI in Crysis was pretty impressive. It wasn't perfect but keep in mind that there is no such thing as "perfect AI" but at the end of the day, it was pretty smart despite the game being sandbox.

@sts106mat said:

Well its not exclusive, but the Alien AI in Alien Isolation was cool because it wasn't following a pre-programmed routine. it definitely pushes the boundaries because you were actually being hunted by it. where as normally you can just try to find ways to exploits its programming as often happens with stealth games, but this wasn't easy to do in Alien.

Alien Isolation is definitely a step in the right direction and I can't praise Creative Assembly enough for pulling it off.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

Killzone's botzone has always been pretty good. They camp, strafe, different attack patterns stealth attack etc.

TLOU. (especially when you ramp up the difficulty)

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

F.E.A.R hands down, then Half Life 1.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Halo comes to mind.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

TLOU has amazing AI.

Ignore the haters who constantly say everything is "mediocre". That is system wars go to word to bash games they don't like.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Probably FEAR/Halo.