Which console will end up having more hardware issues soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) 9 months, 26 days ago

Poll: Which console will end up having more hardware issues soon? (36 votes)

Xbox One 53%
Playstation 4 47%

Both consoles have shown a few hardware issues recently. One slimmer one more than the other, but they have also been increasing in frequency for both so i already know there is going to be a problem just waiting for it to happen.

But which wll end up having more and worse hardware issues?

#1 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

PS4 because it is small a fuck.

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

I don't like how the PS4 wobbles. It's not a huge issue, but it leads me to believe that there may be flaws in their manufacturing process.

#3 Edited by clyde46 (46316 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I don't like how the PS4 wobbles. It's not a huge issue, but it leads me to believe that there may be flaws in their manufacturing process.

That is not a manufacturing issue, thats a design problem.

#4 Edited by Batt1eRatt1e (108 posts) -

One thing the XB1 has over PS4 is while the system is bigger, it's built better. Far quieter and far more ventilated. MS chose functionality over design. I've already seen pics of PS4 damage due to cheap materials and the PS4 wear and tear issues.

#5 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Surely they didn't design it to be uneven and wobble.

#6 Posted by clyde46 (46316 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

If every PS4 has the issue then its a design problem.

#7 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I didn't realize that they all wobble. I thought it was just a large number of them. After looking it up, it appears you are correct. Regardless, it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the system's overall quality, at least to me.

#8 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

Duh ! Its the Xbox, its the more ambitious machine.

Why did you even make a poll for this ?

For the people unaware of Microsofts track record ?

#9 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Duh ! Its the Xbox, its the more ambitious machine.

Why did you even make a poll for this ?

For the people unaware of Microsofts track record ?

Sony's track record is just as bad, really. The PS1 and PS2 were pretty unreliable.

#10 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4686 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

its not a 'problem' even the ps2/ps3 are designed that way. unless u push down it doesnt wobble

#11 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ PurpleMan5000

The PS2 was fine. Also the trackrecord is not why I believe the Xbox One will be more unreliabe. I already had an answer for that

#12 Posted by Chozofication (2881 posts) -

The Ps4 is having problems already. Seems like (new form factor and changes aside) DS4 is a piece of junk like the DS3, even worse perhaps that the analog sticks inevitably get ruined as of right now because they used some laughably cheap crap for the plastic. And just judging by the form factor of Ps4 and sony's less than stellar track record when they cut costs... problems await. It's clear sony cheap'd out to get the thing profitable at $400. I'll be waiting for them to fix / improve things before I get a Ps4.

Sony could learn a few things from the Wii U pro, it's as solid as a rock and the battery lasts for days. The Wii U itself is solid too. That's what you get for your money, either a high end poorly built console or a low end, but solid console. Can't have both for what people want to pay.

Btw, the Dualshock 4 costs $18 to make, yet they charge $60...

#13 Posted by lawlessx (46737 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ PurpleMan5000

The PS2 was fine. Also the trackrecord is not why I believe the Xbox One will be more unreliabe. I already had an answer for that

the ps2 was not perfect. was very common for it to get a dirty disc error and just stop reading discs completely

#14 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

Seems as the the Xbox One will. With is big, bulbous, and abnormally abysmal power to size ratio it's likely it's terrible fans will suck up the dirt and clog up.

PS4 won't have this problem

#15 Posted by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

Hard to know:

• Microsoft likes to cut corners with their hardware
  • There have been numerous upclocks and speed boosts for the XBO - boosts that were likely not factored into original design plans, and thus could result in faster deterioration
  • Sony have better hardware engineers/designers in general

but on the other hand:

• the PS4 is absolutely tiny, and is cooled by only a single fan, which is a potential disaster waiting to happen

It's hard to tell, but I don't think either machine is really built to last. We shall see, I don't think there will be a massive difference in failure rate percentages between the two machines.

#16 Posted by blackace (20753 posts) -

Currently the PS4 has had the most issues. Here are just some of them.

1. BLOD. Thousands of people got this problem on day one. They boot up and the blue light never turns white. There's also a RLOD as well.

2. Games freezing in the middle of playing.

3. Disks not ejecting.

4. System not booting up after installing patch update.

5. Not being able to connect to PS Store or make purchases on PS Store.

6. Make various Error Codes The most common one is the CE-34878-0 that ends up corrupting your game save files. There's all the Party Chat Error Code: NP-31952-0 and several others.

7. Fan noises and overheating problems.

This isn't even all the issues. There were more, but you got the idea.

XBox One had some errors too.

1. Blu-Ray drive making rattle noises. Disk Drive errors. Gamers thought their game disks were being damaged, but that wasn't even the case.

2. Green Screen of Death.

That's about it. No where near the amount of issues the PS4 has been having. The corrupted game save issue is still going on for the PS4 and Sony has yet to implement a permanent fix. Over 2 months.

So yes, the PS4 is easily having more server issues.

#17 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ lawlessx

Then Don't put dirty Disks In there.

#18 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

You know what sucks though. If a single internal component breaks, you can't crack the lil fucker open and replace it. Damn I miss my PC. I fried my Motherboard Once, I upgraded and got a new one :D

#19 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

its not a 'problem' even the ps2/ps3 are designed that way. unless u push down it doesnt wobble

My PS3 doesn't wobble when I press down on it. My PS2 doesn't, either. I have a chair that wobbles, but it only wobbles when you press down on it, too.

#20 Edited by sailor232 (4750 posts) -

I voted the Ps4, just because it seems like Microsoft played it extremely safe giving plenty of room and adding a huge fan in the box, also keeping heat out with an external power brick. I have also seen in person the Ds4 thumb sticks plastic wear and tear, it wasn't pretty.

#21 Posted by joehult (366 posts) -

Ms seems incapable of doing anything right for a while now. Hopefully a new CEO will clean things up. But both systems have that designed on napkins 10 minutes before being unveiled feel.

#22 Posted by leandrro (874 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: all my friends with original fat ps3s had overheating issues

my x360 melted itself and thats one of the reasons i hate M$

but this gen ps4 is much more likely to everheat, much more powerful in a much smaller case

#23 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6521 posts) -

I aint too sure either would be too reliable, the X1 had the hardware mildly overclocked, which is not the best idea ever, in the history of mankind.

Some people already had issues with the PS4, it IS more powerful, in a smaller case, so it might overheat easier.

So overall? likely the PS4, fairly sure both of them will have utterly unacceptible failure rates.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ leandrro

I don't know which one produced more heat but the PS3 definately used less power, made less noise. Actually now that I think of it. The 360 has two heat sources, the Box itself and The Power Supply.

#25 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Psx was unreliable with disc drive dying (I got through 4), PS2 where unreliable again with disc drive problems (I got through 5), Ps3 ijust skipped altogether but yet agakn from friends who owned a PS3 it was the usual problem of the disc drive dying.

I had the RROD on my first 360 but was replaced for nothing.

My money goes on the PS4 as sony products remind me of a old Steller Artois advert "built not to last".

#26 Posted by j_assassin (905 posts) -

hopefully neither of them, we don't want a next gen rrod

#27 Edited by clr84651 (5449 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

It doesn't wobble. You set it down & leave it alone. Who's sitting there forcing it to wobble?!

I didn't vote, because I don't think either one will have very many hardware issues.

#28 Edited by Boddicker (2745 posts) -

I hate to admit it but the PS4. They made it small as hell!!!!!!! Smaller than a PS3 slim!!!! How the fuck are you going to be able to make it smaller?

MS atleast learned their lesson after the RROD fiasco and made their X1 look like an 80's VCR.

*sigh*

I sincerely hope a new PS4 SKU is out by the latter half of this year.

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4686 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@clyde46 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

My PS3 doesn't wobble when I press down on it. My PS2 doesn't, either. I have a chair that wobbles, but it only wobbles when you press down on it, too.

if u press down on the right side it will. it is just the way sony has designed its consoles since ps2 era, i forgot the proper word for it but 1 side is designed to be off the floor. and i dont understand why people would worry about it, u could move ps3 while the disc was spinning and it never scratched discs