Which 1st party to have most successful new IP this gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Obviously Sony did last gen with arguably the best new IP of that generation delivering what is The Last of Us. Ridiculously enough the Uncharted IP would be right behind that as the second best new 1st part IP(also from Sony). It's still early to really predict but where would you place you bets? Still no blockbuster hits yet....

So far we have coming (retail only, must be a 1st party OWNED IP, excluding handhelds)

Sony:

The Order 1886

Bloodborne

Microsoft:

Quantum Break

Scalebound

Nintendo:

Splatoon

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Pretty certain Gears of War became a billion dollar franchise for Microsoft with game sales, and all the ridiculous amounts of franchising.

And on Nintendo's side last gen they had the Wii series of games which sold nearly 200 million units.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legend002

"Successful" was a bad word to use here. I apologize.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Uncharted is sooooo overrated. It's a platformer-shooter that has shitty platforming and shitty gunplay.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Obviously Sony did last gen with arguably the best new IP of that generation delivering what is The Last of Us. Ridiculously enough the Uncharted IP would be right behind that as the second best new 1st part IP(also from Sony). It's still early to really predict but where would you place you bets? Still no blockbuster hits yet....

So far we have coming (retail only, must be a 1st party OWNED IP, excluding handhelds)

We got The Last of Us at the end of the generation, so I think it's safe to say the same thing could happen in 2018-2020. Games we never heard of and don't exist yet; I'm guessing we'll see the best new IP at that time. It's the time when devs have wrestled with the hardware and mastered the hardware over years. Devs understand their optimized engines and can get right down to brass tacks on their final game of the generation, that is the time we see the devs typically crank out the best works.

We've seen this pattern before in previous gens from Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross to Halo 2 to Shadow of the Colossus to Okami to God of War 1-2 to The Last of Us and other gens.

The tiny list in the OP is based on a young generation of newly announced games.

I'm not saying we can't see great surprises early in the generation, because that's happened too with games like Grand Theft Auto III, Super Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid 2, Gears of War, etc. I'm simply stating that since the generation is so young and that list is so paltry, it's tough to guess right now.

I'm aware some of these aren't new IPs per se, but a game like GTA3 and Mario64 really set a new standards by going to the 3D space when compared to the previous 2D entries.

Any of those games in the list could surprise us. Splatoon, Bloodborne, and Scalebound especially.

I was a long, LONG time Remedy fan since the original Max Payne released on PC. However, Alan Wake's 5+ year wait and decent release taught me to be far more conservative in my Remedy HYPE levels, so I hope for the best experience EVER, but I'm prepared for a decent experience as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, for starters, Nintendo had the most successful new IP last generation, with Wii. I don't care whether it appeals to you or not, it was a brand new IP and it was more successful than anything Sony or Microsoft put out.

As for this generation, I'd hazard a guess it will be Sony, the other two are too limited by their own install bases.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@funsohng said:

Uncharted is sooooo overrated. It's a platformer-shooter that has shitty platforming and shitty gunplay.

I can usually understand why certain games get huge fanbases but the success that Uncharted has gotten has truly baffled me. I played both U1 U2 and basically exactly what you said were my thoughts. A platformer shooter with boring platforming and awful shooting is this Popular?

On-topic: I have no idea. I don't see any of the three doing anything special. I wouldn't consider Bloodborne a new ip.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Being a big Remedy fan, I'm very excited for Quantum Break.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Bloodborne

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Pretty sure Remedy is second party. They are not owned by MS.

Otherwise I would pick QB for sure. Remedy are King Midas, everything they touch turns into gold.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Otherwise I would pick QB for sure. Remedy are King Midas, everything they touch turns into gold.

Well, From Software isn't first party either but that also made the list. I think he means first party franchise and not dev? idk.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Sony I suppose -

On the cusp of being announced or re-announced -

• Guerrilla Games
  • Media Molecule
  • Sony Bend
  • The Last Guardian

Studios that could make one -

• Naughty Dog - probable. Uncharted 4 , The Last of Us 2 , and a new IP seems reasonable.
  • Sucker Punch - probable. I don't see them making 2+ more inFAMOUS games this gen.
  • Santa Monica - possible

Outsourced -

• The Order 1886
  • Bloodborne
  • Quantic Dream's new IP

The Level-5 game could be Sony owned and a new IP. Only time will tell

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, From Software isn't first party either but that also made the list. I think he means first party franchise and not dev? idk.

Very true.

Very few first party new IP if you ask me then xD

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts
@Legend002 said:

Obviously Sony did last gen with arguably the best new IP of that generation delivering what is The Last of Us. Ridiculously enough the Uncharted IP would be right behind that as the second best new 1st part IP(also from Sony).

While I personally agree that Sony had the best new IP last gen; I don't think it is fair to say that they "obviously" had the best since a very strong case could be made for Gears of War.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Legend002

@mems_1224: As long they own the ip then it's fine by me

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Probably Bloodborne, but I also suspect Splatoon could surprise everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

Bloodborne

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Right now I'm more interested in Quantum Break.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Captain Toad is a new IP.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

It may take some time to find out whether a first party has the most successful new IP. I do not see one yet due to the new generation.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

sony is master of new ip's.

just look at the TLOU, greatest game from last gen, and possibly of all times.

any other answer is a joke op.

now mark this as best answer :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Probably Sony. Not saying Nintendo and MS won't have good exclusives but they're not big on new first party IPs, Nintendo recycles a lot of the same games, not saying in a bad way, but games like Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Whatever, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Bayonetta, whatever, they're not really new, still awesome, but not what I'd consider new, it's a new take on an established franchise but that's really it. Microsoft relies too heavily on contracting with third parties. Their first party games, though awesome, have already established themselves. Sony is probably the one to make more new franchises this gen, and bound to have a few successful ones. Though, that could be years down the road, I really don't see anything on the horizon that's going to be that last gen's Uncharted or Last of Us, not yet anyways. I think games like Bloodborne feel more like a Dark Souls / Demon Souls re-branding the same way Dying Light is Dead Island under a different name. It'll likely be a success just like the other games were. I think The Order will be a success, not in a out of nowhere hit kind of way, but I think it'll get respectable sales to warrant sequels and get on its feet as a growing franchise.

But, what will that mind blowing new IP be? Who will make it? That's a question I'm not sure anybody can answer. Thing about trends and fads are they're kind of organically grow and just kind of pop up out of nowhere. Expect to be pleasantly surprised at some point this gen with games that are unexpectedly great.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@funsohng said:

I can usually understand why certain games get huge fanbases but the success that Uncharted has gotten has truly baffled me. I played both U1 U2 and basically exactly what you said were my thoughts. A platformer shooter with boring platforming and awful shooting is this Popular?

On-topic: I have no idea. I don't see any of the three doing anything special. I wouldn't consider Bloodborne a new ip.

I myself love Uncharted mainly cause of the lovable cast of characters and their interaction with each other and the snappy dialogue. The gameplay isn't exactly deep but it isn't poor either. All the different aspects of the game mechanics are brought from other games and integrated and implemented into one single game which gives it a sense of freshness. The puzzles nor the platforming test the players intelligence in anyway whatsoever but that's fine cause they're just meant to balance the pacing otherwise it would just be a typical third person cover based shooter from start to finish and that is bad thing e.g. Gears Of War 3. Also I want to give credit for the dynamic gameplay Naughty Dog has crafted, there's no menu usage once you start the game you go from one thing to another seemlessly which is a huge bonus for the flow of the game.

People disregard the setpieces when talking about Uncharted's gameplay it's a huge mistake cause they're one of the best things gaming has to offer.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@happyduds77 said:

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@funsohng said:

I myself love Uncharted mainly cause of the lovable cast of characters and their interaction with each other and the snappy dialogue. The gameplay isn't exactly deep but it isn't poor either. All the different aspects of the game mechanics are brought from other games and integrated and implemented into one single game which gives it a sense of freshness. The puzzles nor the platforming test the players intelligence in anyway whatsoever but that's fine cause they're just meant to balance the pacing otherwise it would just be a typical third person cover based shooter from start to finish and that is bad thing e.g. Gears Of War 3. Also I want to give credit for the dynamic gameplay Naughty Dog has crafted, there's no menu usage once you start the game you go from one thing to another seemlessly which is a huge bonus for the flow of the game.

People disregard the setpieces when talking about Uncharted's gameplay it's a huge mistake cause they're one of the best things gaming has to offer.

• All Uncharted characters are basically rip-offs of already existing adventure fiction archetypes; they are not detestable, but mostly because I came to be indifferent about most of them (except for Sully and Charlie, who are frankly also cliched anyway).
  • Dialogues are snappy, but when the overall story is just plain ignorable, they amount to little.
  • Puzzles and platforming are just bad for the most part. Puzzles don't balance the experience because there are so little of them, while platforming sections are just chores.
  • Gears of War focused on one thing, which is combat, and did really well. Uncharted focused on many things, and didn't really do any of them great other than UC2's level design in some levels.
  • Dynamic gameplay? I'm not sure what you are talking about because UC gameplay is basically same pattern (bad stealth section->bad gunplay section->bad platforming section) repeated.
  • I believe gaming is better without movie-inspired linear setpieces, and Uncharted is basically the prime example of such fallacy along with Call of Duty.
Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

Sony want the Order 1886 to be their answer to Gears it's not going to happen and won't become a big franchise

Bloodborne will be like Demon Souls one game

Quantum Break looks amazing and I think it could become a huge Franchise on X1 and spawn sequels

Sunset Overdrive Should become a big new ip but I don't know if Sunset Overdrive 2 would be X1 exclusive

Scalebound is by Platinum it will be spectacular but It will be like Bloodborne one game

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I hope Nintendo, because Splatooooooon but honestly I think either Bloodborne will swipe the floor with everything or it'll be Xbox... Splatoon seems like too small a project and The Order isn't going anywhere except the end of its own very long tedious corridor. So yeah, it depends on how big Bloodborne is.

Thank God they called it Bloodborne and not Blood Souls, that way they have an excuse to call it new IP.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The next new IP Naughty God makes is the only answer. Everything they touch is a hit with gamers and critics alike.

Quantum Break has a good chance to be a big hit too.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

TC mentions 1st party, but i see no 1st party

THREAD FAIL!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

bloodborne is on the list and you're still asking the question? come on man.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@funsohng said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. The Last of Us greatly redeemed Naughty Dog's talent after the abysmal Uncharted games. U2 was just fraught with bad design choices. There is very little to say that's good about it and yet it's one of the most lauded video games of all time. Truly baffling.

In any case, I'm betting on a new IP that hasn't been announced yet. There's a pretty good chance it might belong to Sony.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I just want people to know The Wonderful 101 is a Nintendo owned Property.

I mean it's already flopped and would probably not be anywhere NEAR the success that Xbox One or PS4 will give out, but I just want you to know that Nintendo has something else other than Splatoon this generation.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Bloodborne

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Quantum Break is a new IP bringing television and gaming together. They are gambling on something new, if they pull it off it will be the best thing this year without exception. This deserve kudos just for giving it a go.

Bloodborne is a new IP based on tried and trusted style of game. Same old stuff in fancy new package.

However I think both wont reach the hype unfortunately :(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Quantum Break and the new news on Scalebound makes me think that IP as well.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#35 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Scalebound, Quantum Break and Bloodborne. All 3 by devs with a great track record.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Nintendo and Sony will duke it out IMO. Just like last gen, the Xbone's already mediocre line up will start to peter out.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

None of them sound super promising to me. I MIGHT play Bloodborne, Scalebound and Splattoon.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I would say Bloodborne. But isnt it developed by From Software. When did they become 1st Party. Am I missing something here?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

None of those are first party. They're owned by the companies, but the studios behind them are all 3rd party.

I'll wait to see how Gerrila Games new dinossaur RPG thing goes. God only knows they need to stop with Killzone

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Most successful? probably Sony given the PS4 is crushing it in sales.

Best? I mean Kamiya game vs Miyazaki game. Sounds pretty beast. My money is on Kamiya. #PlatinumBias

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

out of all those games, splatoon and bloodbourne are the most interesting. Im not sure ninty fans will support splatoon though

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Bloodborne, it's not exactly 'new' but I expect it to be very popular.