Where's all this hype for LBP coming from?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 0

#1 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
I saw the trailers and stuff, and I don't get where all this completely over-the-top hype is coming from, people are acting like this will completely dominate late-2008 for the PS3. My thoughts after seeing the trailers was "hmm, neat, it should be pretty cool" but everyone is hyping this to be AAA, I really don't see where that hype is coming from. It looks pretty neat, but not AAA...
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts
I think its coming from a mix of people who love the artstyle, are fans of platformers, are fans of creating their own content, are fans of playing other users content and are fans of having fun. Just a guess though, I could be wrong.
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.
Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts
You just need to think harder.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Most big releases have been imbued by the community with a draw. For MGS4, it was its story. For Crysis, it's graphics.

Little Big Planet's draw is its uniqueness. In an industry where repitition seems to be the watchword (most recent big releases have been sequels), this is something to turn heads.

Plus, when it was announced the PS3's library was still very weak. It was something to hype and something to look forward to.

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 D3monchicken

Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.Eltroz

Considering that there is a single-player pre-made portion of the game, your comments about LBP will from now on be looked upon as ill-informed.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eltroz

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.D3monchicken

Considering that there is a single-player pre-made portion of the game, your comments about LBP will from now on be looked upon as ill-informed.

maybe i am wrong then. How much of of a pre-made portion is there? Is it just something thrown together or is it enough to warrent being called a game. What I mean does this pre-made portion able to stand next to other platform games like a Mario game? I have see many videos and it is always the same background basicly with the same things being done.

I have been wrong before. Can you explain about this pre-made portion so I know if it is a real platformer or just something they threw together so the developers and the fans on the forums have something to talk about. meanwhile it is nothing really at all.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. There seems to be a ton of hype for this one, but minimal for Banjo. Strange.
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D3monchicken
[QUOTE="D3monchicken"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.Eltroz

maybe i am wrong then. How much of of a pre-made portion is there? Is it just something thrown together or is it enough to warrent being called a game. What I mean does this pre-made portion able to stand next to other platform games like a Mario game? I have see many videos and it is always the same background basicly with the same things being done.

I have been wrong before. Can you explain about this pre-made portion so I know if it is a real platformer or just something they threw together so the developers and the fans on the forums have something to talk about. meanwhile it is nothing really at all.

On a previous interview that I have read somewhere (Sorry, I don't save links) a developer said at that point they had around 50 levels made and i also remember hearing (not sure if a rumor or not) but they will be tying in a little story. Plus we barely know anything about the game. i would really recommend waiting till e3, whenever it is this month... the 15th? Idk. But they are bound to reveal a ton of info this e3 considering the game release is a supposed October (no day) release.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.Eltroz
It has a single-player component with a story. The thing is, this entire game is based around letting the player's creativity run wild . Combined with what appears to be solid platforming elements, awesome community features and a great physics engine it looks awesome
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eltroz
[QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="D3monchicken"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.D3monchicken

On a previous interview that I have read somewhere (Sorry, I don't save links) a developer said at that point they had around 50 levels made and i also remember hearing (not sure if a rumor or not) but they will be tying in a little story. Plus we barely know anything about the game. i would really recommend waiting till e3, whenever it is this month... the 15th? Idk. But they are bound to reveal a ton of info this e3 considering the game release is a supposed October (no day) release.

Ok first off there has been plenty of time to find out enough about the game then having to wait till E3. They game was announced a long time ago and shown many times. Seems you do not have any info but are going to defend no matter what. If there was a deep single play experience they would have far more info about it out already. There would be video footage. All they are going to have are some levels already made by the developers with this level editor.Also you said they will try and have a little story?? I mean really does that sound much like a independent game to go along with the level editor? have 50 or even a 100 pre-made just means the developers used the level editor.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thrones
[QUOTE="D3monchicken"][QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="D3monchicken"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.Eltroz

Ok first off there has been plenty of time to find out enough about the game then having to wait till E3. They game was announced a long time ago and shown many times. Seems you do not have any info but are going to defend no matter what. If there was a deep single play experience they would have far more info about it out already. There would be video footage. All they are going to have are some levels already made by the developers with this level editor.Also you said they will try and have a little story?? I mean really does that sound much like a independent game to go along with the level editor? have 50 or even a 100 pre-made just means the developers used the level editor.

You can edit the 50 pre-made levels as well. :|
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eltroz

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.thrones
It has a single-player component with a story. The thing is, this entire game is based around letting the player's creativity run wild . Combined with what appears to be solid platforming elements, awesome community features and a great physics engine it looks awesome

So in shorter terms the game is based on being a level editor.

letting a players creativity run wild?? Come on bud that is the point of a level editor

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
dunno really
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thrones

[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.Eltroz

letting a players creativity run wild?? Come on bud that is the point of a level editor

Sure, why not? More unique than any other game this year. Except Spore. :D
masters89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 masters89
Member since 2004 • 1930 Posts
Because they said : "There will be no limit of creation in this game , but only when you ran out of ideas customizing objects"
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Eltroz
[QUOTE="Eltroz"]

[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Eltroz"]Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.thrones

Sure, why not? More unique than any other game this year. Except Spore. :D

Like I said before maybe i am wrong. What makes it so unique though like say compared to other major levle editors? or to something like garry's mod?
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thrones
Like I said before maybe i am wrong. What makes it so unique though like say compared to other major levle editors? or to something like garry's mod?Eltroz
There'll be more customizable and more flexible than most of them. Seriously, what level editor rivals LittleBigPlanet's? And if you think about it, every damn 2D platformer in history is going to be recreated in LittleBigPlanet 8)
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eltroz

[QUOTE="Eltroz"] Like I said before maybe i am wrong. What makes it so unique though like say compared to other major levle editors? or to something like garry's mod?thrones
There'll be more customizable and more flexible than most of them. Seriously, what level editor rivals LittleBigPlanet's? And if you think about it, every damn 2D platformer in history is going to be recreated in LittleBigPlanet 8)

ok sounds like a level editor then so I stick with the first thing I said-

Mainly just because it is a exclusive. It is only a level editor after all. there has been level editors for years but difference is they normaly just added on to a game to make it better. In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thrones

[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Eltroz"] Like I said before maybe i am wrong. What makes it so unique though like say compared to other major levle editors? or to something like garry's mod?Eltroz

If you want to look at it that way, sure? But it's still damn brilliant with a fully robust set of community tools and a better editor than most games. You can't exactly compare Brawl or even Forge to LittleBigPlanet in terms of depth of creativity. You can create so many different challenges from racing to score based to beat 'em ups with lots of little enemies. 8)
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D3monchicken
[QUOTE="Eltroz"]

[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Eltroz"] Like I said before maybe i am wrong. What makes it so unique though like say compared to other major levle editors? or to something like garry's mod?thrones

If you want to look at it that way, sure? But it's still damn brilliant with a fully robust set of community tools and a better editor than most games. You can't exactly compare Brawl or even Forge to LittleBigPlanet in terms of depth of creativity. You can create so many different challenges from racing to score based to beat 'em ups with lots of little enemies. 8)

Don't bother with this guy anymore. He'll just downplay anything you say about the game because he's obviously mad that he doesn't have any level creation creativity :|

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

because its the first good level editor on a consoul

-Murdock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 -Murdock-
Member since 2006 • 2767 Posts

In the case of LBP they decided to take away the whole pesky game part and only have a level editor.

Eltroz

Ill-informed.

Little Big Planet is not just a level editor. Generalizing it by stating "it's just a level editor" is saying "Mario is just a platformer." Games can't be wrapped up so simply as they are more than the sum of their parts. Do a bit of research and then come back with a short essay on what could make it so much fun rather. You will be graded on a curve.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I am hyping it. I want LittleBigPlanet, and it is easily my most anticipated game this year.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

LBP is God's gift to PS3 owners.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpruceCaboose

"At this point, everyone knows LittleBigPlanet as "that game with the cute sack-puppet characters where you make your own levels and stuff." Technically, the "game" portion is a 2D platformer with a little bit of spatial depth, and it'll ship with several premade levels. LittleBigPlanet is truly distinguished, though, by its potential for becoming a creative outlet. With its disarmingly cute ****and user-friendly tools that also offer tremendous depth, LittleBigPlanet makes imagination the only real limitation to what you can create. It's the exact opposite of the intimidating complexity of, say, building something in Unreal."

In LittleBigPlanet, players control small characters (nicknamed either "Sackboy" or "Sackgirl", owing to their material and appearance), each of which can jump, move, and grab objects. Players can use their abilities to shape and develop the highly manipulable environment to build custom spaces either individually, collaboratively, and/or competitively. Levels focus on co-operative, physics-based gameplay, and players can use mechanisms such as cogs and blocks to build anything from small level parts to large, complex worlds. The game will also allow opportunities for players to acquire new skills and tools.

A major focus of LittleBigPlanet will be on the global community features through the PlayStation Network for players to interact and share their "patches" - levels and other modifications - as well as online play.

Players can navigate their way through the world by jumping, pushing, grabbing, running and flying to overcome numerous puzzles provided by the game's robust physics engine. The traditional concept of enemies has not been shown but the game will, in fact, have enemies, ranging from the small, to the big and complex.[9] In addition, harmful objects can be placed in the game, such as pits of fire and being "squished" or flattened by an object that cause the player to restart that section of the level; players pop and roll out of restart points nearby.

A scoring system is also in place, in the form of a time trial with a start and end gate and players collecting world items such as sponge. Scoring is based on both time and execution of the level.

At its most simplistic, this is the most flexible and open-ended sandbox game of this generation. It hails back to The Incredible Machine on PCs – a game that took the same DIY mentality to gamers back in the mid-90s. However, the promise of being able to upload, download and display your creations – be them fully-fledged levels, obstacle courses, Rube Goldberg machines, deathtraps or just fun levels to fool around in – just makes us more excited. Surely, as Sony has been touting, LittleBigPlanet will foster a community of eager designers.

Though LBP will come with a full slate of single-player levels built in, it seems like the real treat will be playing through the levels and checking out the objects that the LBP community will create once they get their collective hands on the game. Certainly the toolset for creation looks to be more extensive than that of practically any other console game we've seen before. In addition to creating shapes and objects from scratch, you'll be able to add life and motion to them with gears and the aforementioned switches.

The movement of all the objects in the game relies on real physics. One of the objects we saw in the game was a monster with a retractable jaw that moved up and down automatically. By attaching the lines connected from a switch to each side of the jaw, we could control the movement of the jaws by turning the switch on or off. But, if we connected both lines to one side of elevating jaws and then threw the switch, the entire object would topple over as it became unbalanced. Media Molecule looks to be making things as easy to work with as possible here; in addition to simple building tools, they recently added an undo/redo feature that will wind back through time through your last procedures, letting you start over from scratch or at any point in the creation process.

But the creation doesn't stop there. If you like your monster with the switchable jaws, you'll be able to save the entire object as a "plan," essentially a template you can use later. You can even choose to copyright that plan, so that other people with whom you share your levels and objects won't be able to break down or build upon. In addition, we got a brief glimpse at how to use the PS3 Eye Toy accessory in the game to create stickers. You can take a screenshot at any point, then choose a number of different shapes to wrap around it and then place it anywhere in the world you wish, including your home base, which serves as the game's front end. When playing with friends online, your friends will be able to check out your customized HQ before you move on into the gameplay proper.

I personally have yet to see a preview from anyone that has anything negative to say about the game, and it looks incredibly fun. I don't know why you wouldn't at least be a little excited for this game, unless of course your only reason is a hatred of the PS3 or a desire to dismiss anything with colorful sty1es as "kiddy" to prove your manly-ness.

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts

Here is why im in love with the game...

The things I love about LBP, is the "ease" it has with making virtually any 2nd course imaginable. Including your favorite past-time 2d side scrollers. The customizations are unlimited for example, you can upload any pictures stored on your harddrive, then use them to paste on any object in-game. Then there is the co-op creator for online and offline. But what really makes it so great is that it will feature a youtube kinda service where you can upload your maps online for others to rate and play through. I think this is alot better than the level editors we have seen in the past.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eltroz

I personally have yet to see a preview from anyone that has anything negative to say about the game, and it looks incredibly fun. I don't know why you wouldn't at least be a little excited for this game, unless of course your only reason is a hatred of the PS3 or a desire to dismiss anything with colorful sty1es as "kiddy" to prove your manly-ness.

SpruceCaboose
Actually that does sound cool and now it does sounds more then a basic level editor.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Eltroz

Actually that does sound cool and now it does sounds more then a basic level editor.

If Media Molecule can pull it off, and Sony has indeed given them enough time to make sure it all works, this could be my favorite game of the year.

I won't hype it as some AAA or whatever since it looks like a game where your own milage may vary, but I personally want it, and I want it to at least be popular enough to spawn a decent fanbase that makes levels.

Also, the co-op feature may finally give me a reason to need a second controller (Dual Shock 3 here I come...eventually! ).

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No idea.. To me it looks like Gary's mod with a fresh coat of paint over it.
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
i remember losing months of my life on Shoot em up construction kit for the c64. I am getting more hyped for this by the day.
fluxorator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fluxorator
Member since 2008 • 887 Posts
No idea.. To me it looks like Gary's mod with a fresh coat of paint over it.sSubZerOo

It might just be, but Halo was just Doom with a fresh coat of paint (IMO) and I (as well as a lot of people) absoloutely LOVE Halo.

Also it seems a lot simpler than Gary's Mod...